Shimano XTR Seatpost

3.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Shimano XTR

Submitted by heatstroke a Cross Country Rider from New Orleans,LA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2005

Strengths:    Light 215 grams, nice finish, sturdy single bolt clamp

Weaknesses:    The bond between the tube and the clamp
Fatigue life - cracked at the top of the tube after 4 yrs?

Bottom Line:
Used for about 4 years. This is my 2nd XTR post. the first siezed after 2 yrs in a TI frame and I broke the bonded joint between the post and the clamp. I reglued it and that is on the road bike.

The 2nd post, is on my racerx, I've crashed hard a numerous times on it with the bike landing on the seat. After 4 years I noticed a small crack on the rear of the seat post just below the saddle clamp. I'm still giving it 3* due to the possibility that it may have been caused by the crashes.

Purchased At:   bikepro KL

Similar Products Used:   EA70,

Bike Setup:   Racer X, mostly XTR

Submitted by Aaron Collins a Cross Country Rider from Broomfield, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2003

Strengths:    light, looks good

Weaknesses:    head loosed

Bottom Line:
It took about 6-7 months for the head area to loosen up, thought it was the clamping area, but now the seat moves all around and it creaks constantly. I see why this is not a focus for Shimano in their XTR line-up. Would not advise purchasing.

Favorite Trail:   Walker Ranch

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Syncros, Ritchey, Dean

Bike Setup:   RM Blizzard, XT/XTR, Avid M-Disc

Submitted by Patrick M a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2003

Strengths:    Looks, strength, light weight

Weaknesses:    Clamp area creaks

Bottom Line:
This seatpost is perfect apart from the fact that the clamping area creaks. I've tried tightening the clamp and changing the saddle but nothing worked. I've also tried to put a little lube on the clamping area which got rid of the creaks but saddle starts to slip backwards after every ride (regardless of the extreme tightness I've already applied to the bolt). For safety reasons, I had to wipe off the lubrication and live with the irritating creaks. Matbe the one I have is faulty??? For something from Shimano, I expected better quality control. I'll probably try X-Lite with the click-on clamp.

Purchased At:   A Singapore Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   RockShox suspension, Kalloy Uno

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M600, Deore Groupset, LX Crank, Easton EA70 handlebar and stem, etc

Submitted by m f a Cross Country Rider from Woodside, CA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Strengths:    weight, setback, looks, simple & elegant design

Bottom Line:
The best post ever made. Got mine while working at a shop back in '99. It is the only post with which I have ever been satisfied. Thomsons are decent, but overated, and their setback model is ugly.

I am 6'5", weigh 210 lbs, and have only three inches of post in my frame. Yet, the post has performed flawlessly.

Purchased At:   pro deal

Similar Products Used:   syncros, thomson

Bike Setup:   Seven sola. Full XTR. SID. Chris King headset. Selle Italia flite. Mavic X517s. 858s. Geax Sedonas. Salsa aluminum bar. Titec Fastal.

Submitted by kevin from FL

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2000

Strengths:    LIGHT. EASIEST post to set up, or adjust ---ONLY ONE BOLT!!!
STRONG, i don't run my post super high like the guy who broke his, mine hasn't even bent doing dual slalom/jump/urban assault all the time..., and i weigh 195!

Bottom Line:
A great post. Light and easy to adjust, what else do you need??

Similar Products Used:   Thompson, Control Tech(bent REAL easy, Syncros

Submitted by Kenneth Chang a Cross Country Rider from Tucson, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2000

Strengths:    Light, strong, understated.

Weaknesses:    The logo bleached out really quickly, but it's purely cosmetic.

Bottom Line:
I got mine for brand new for $40 back in '97. I didn't know much about this seatpost at the time, but it seemed pretty light and it was made by Shimano, so I figured it couldn't be that bad. I don't think the shop knew what they were selling, but (at $40) I wasn't going to complain. 3 years later, I'm still using it. It hasn't failed once.

Favorite Trail:   Starr Pass, Tucson, AZ

Bike Setup:   '97 Gary Fisher Kai-Tai, full XT drivetrain, XTR brakes, SID XC, Easton CT-2 handlebar.

Submitted by andrew rasmussen a Cross Country Rider from Astoria, OR

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Broke in half

Bottom Line:
My setup is a 16" frame, so the seatpost is extended quite a bit, and I did have my weight far back on the seat when it broke, but it's a $80 XTR seatpost, supposedly top of the line. We'll see if they warranty it.

Favorite Trail:   Gumjuwac Saddle (Mt. Hood)

Bike Setup:   Cannondale CAD3

Submitted by Shunsuke Adachi a Weekend Warrior from Tokyo

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2000

Strengths:    light, reliable, easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    bonded head

Bottom Line:
210g for 330mm, lightest.
hollow bolt, wow!
reliable clamp never move.
single bolt easy to adjust.
clamphead is not mono-formed but bonded.It's not the best.
after all only comparable to thomson's.
i paid 70$ for this, a little pain but well worth it.
don't hate them only for shimano-made!
when seeking a new post, the only stuff you should buy is shimano's or thomson's! others are purely junks.(syncros is so-so, though)

Favorite Trail:   far west

Similar Products Used:   ritchey

Bike Setup:   domestic ti frame, XTs

SPAM : X-Fusion Trace fork -- Shimano XTR trail brakes -- SRAM XO/X9 drivetrain part

. Link to ad: [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=96079]-- X-Fusion Trace 29er fork -- Shimano M988 XTR Trail brakes -- SRAM X9 cranks -- SRAM XO shifter and derailleur -- - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url]Read More »

Shimano XTR replacement Crank Arm Bolts?

Hey all, Just curious if anyone has experience replacing the crank arm bolts on a Shimano XTR m985 crank set. I was wondering if a trip to Ace Hardware would net me the same stainless steel bolts or should I order the official Shimano parts. Thanks in advance!Read More »

1994 Rocky Mountain Blizzard - Modern XTR M960 - Build Thread

XTR M960 is one of my favorite groups... decided to bite the bullet and put the group onto this frame I had laying around =) The crank will be replaced with an M960... just haven't gotten one yet... . [URL=http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/Shutter-RBK/media/94%20blizz/_DSC5574_zps6bbc7fa6.jpg.htm ... Read More »

Late model 9spd XTR rapid rise derailleur

Will a long cage work on a 36t cassette cog? How about using with regular shifters? I had one of the 950 series years ago but can't remember if they run on regular shifters. Thinking yes. Thanks in advance.Read More »