Sette Ryde ST-850 Seatpost

2.86/5 (14 Reviews)
Weight : 663 grams

The 850 featured an easy to use control lever, tucked away under your seat, that will allow it's user to raise or lower their seat all in a matter of seconds. Adjustments can be made on the fly for those technical sections of the trail where having a lower seat height adds the benefit of more maneuverability for clearing obstacles. Constructed out of forged 6061-T6 aluminum, the 850 seat post is designed to give seasons of trouble free use.

Submitted by rhyko a Weekend Warrior from Wales, UK

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2009

Strengths:    does what it says on the tim-it moves up and down

i have the kindshock 850i which is identical as is the superstar model.

Weaknesses:    weight, little bit of play
takes a while to get used to
poor sealing
the release lever is too long, i want to cut it down but that may void the warranty (it hits my seat.)

the suspension is a joke, this suspension is an unwanted side affect of using air, whicj they have decided to market as suspension lol

the seat post works the same way as an office chair, i.e it is pneumatic and we all know that air is compressable, hence like when you sit on an office chair it compresses down slightly. if you run your seat with your weight offcentre it should remove the suspension. obviously the heavier you are the more it will compress.

Bottom Line:
im someone who always stops to lower/higher my seat anyways

I like this post, after reading other reviews and info in the forums on here i knew what I had to do:
Grease it up, bed the post in, continually compress and release it against the floor, after a few repetitions it started loosing up.
Then cut a section of inner tube to keep contamination out of the seals
Then ride around the street to get used to it.

I normally have my seat really far back, i.e. the front of the seat of the post, with it like this the lever only goes half way up before coming into contact with the bottom of my seat, however even though the lever only goes half way up of what it can, it still works fine.

The advantage of having the seat so far back is that your weight is not parallel to the seat post, this eliminates the “suspension feature” of the seat luckily.

My gripe with everyone on here & in the forum is how to lower the seat, everyone one seems to be saying nonsense about having to sit on the front of the seat to lower it, I have used this seat post a dozen or so times now and have not once lowered the seat whilst sat on it. I really can’t see the point, surely when you lower the seat it’s because you want it out the way whilst you are stood up on the pedals. Hence I stand up and simply push the seat down with my one hand, as easy as that, it does take some of my body weight leaned over onto my arm to do this but it only takes about 1-2 seconds and is easy to do on the move. Why would I want to sit down to do this, I really can’t understand why people are doing this?

Im not a huge guy, about average size (im 5ft 10 and 175 lbs) and I find the seat very easy to lower on the move whilst stood up using just one hand.

So overall im happy with this seat post, I knew its short comings before I purchased it (bedding it in, the weight and the poor seals) it works well for me, im sorry it doesn’t for others.

Favorite Trail:   Brechfa

Purchased At:   lakes leisure

Similar Products Used:   normal posts

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance modified to All mountain set up

Submitted by gentlemaniac a Downhiller from calgary canada

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Strengths:    inexpensive, inexpensive,inexpensive

Weaknesses:    seat post has play while on the "up" position.

Bottom Line:
not haveing a remote lever definitely has its disadvantages, gotta take of hand the bars to adjust the "knob puller" which would be hard to do while already descending, but no big deal just got to prepare ahead. definitely a good bang for how much i paid for it, although it does not have a remote lever it works great for pedal rides, just gotta get used to it. you just have to shift your weight on the seat, usually forward to drop down. i recommend this seat post for everyone on a budget. sure beats having to dismount bike to adjust seat height.

Favorite Trail:   any trails at whistler

Purchased At:   price point

Bike Setup:   norco six all mountain

Submitted by noodlesofrome a Weekend Warrior from Hicksville, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Weaknesses:    takes a bit of effort to get used to

Bottom Line:
I read the opinions on this site and saw a many negative reviews. Some people actually liked it, so for $30 I said what the hell and tried it anyway. I weigh about 160 lbs. At first I thought it was defective because I just couldn't get it to go down right. I tried to take it apart and see how it works but it is very difficult to do so. The first time I went out riding with it I was unimpressed. I spent more time wrestling with it than I anticipated. I had to apply pressure directly downwards into the seat post to lower it, but couldn't figure out how. Instead of leaning back, (which seemed to make sense because my frame tilts the post backwards), I noticed that I have to shift myself forwards. I messed with more and adjusted the seat position, and dropping the seat post became more and more fluid.
I went out riding with it about ten times now and I really got used to it. Thumbs up to sette for creating a product that works and isn't unnecessarily expensive.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Fuji Nevada 3.0

Submitted by dodger a Weekend Warrior from Trabuco Canyon, CA

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Strengths:    low cost

Weaknesses:    everything. Put it on my bike, it would not stay up under my 185lb.

Bottom Line:
I really wanted this to work. Could care less about the weight, it was to go on my tandem. But what a piece of junk...wouldn't even support my weight w/o dropping. Returned it immediately. Not worth $35, not worth $5!!!

Submitted by JPHOYLE a Cross Country Rider from Carlsbad, California

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2009

Strengths:    Adjustable height. Great to be able to slam the seatpost down on-the-fly !

Weaknesses:    Poor quality height adjustment mechanism.

Bottom Line:
Solid design of actual seatpost, but adjustment mechanism is poor quality. Unlike other reviewers, I did not have any problem adjusting the seatpost down. Therein lies the problem. After about three rides (approx. 30 miles) of riding on the seatpost, it started to move down on it's own. Now it just bobs up and down like a suspension seatpost. Sette never responded to my email regarding warranty replacement. Pass on this one. Maybe somebody will come out with a quality seatpost priced between the bottom (Sette) and the top (Crank Bros) to fill the need. Gave the seatpost lowest value rating because it is a false economy due to it's defective design.

Favorite Trail:   Livewire @ Northstar Tahoe

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Joplin.

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT 3.0

Submitted by canoli200 a Weekend Warrior from Simi Valley , Ca.

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2009

Strengths:    Ability to raise and lower the seat without dismounting

Weaknesses:    a little tricky to find the right leverage to lower the seat

Bottom Line:
Im not a small guy at 225 lbs. so I dont know if im just to big for the product or not, although when you consider that even a lighter rider can generate a great deal of downward force on the seat while descending, I cant imagine that to be the case. The problem I am having is that after about a dozen rides, the seat post wont hold my weight any more without dropping most of the way down even when in the locked position. Its become basically useless now. There dont seem to be any adjustments to be made and as earlier post have mentioned, it did not come with any literature. I tried to disassemble it but cant break it down enough. I dont know if i just ended up with a lemon or if something broke inside so ill keep trying to find info online so as to repair it. Great idea but i have to question the quality

Submitted by gpschutt a Downhiller from Hood River, OR USA

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap! Works pretty well and makes a huge difference in your efficiency.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, action not as smooth as Gravity Dropper. Required some tweaking. Customer service - non-existant.

Bottom Line:
Initially wasn't able to get it to compress down on the fly. The spring was too stiff so it just compressed my rear suspension. I emailed Sette but never heard back about it. Loosened the nut under the bottom and lowered the spring preload, lubed the post and now I can drop it on the fly with a little work. Raises very nicely and the lever under the nose of the saddle is perfect. The GD's I've used are super smooth - as smooth as you should expect for $200+! For $36, this thing is mint.

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Gravity Dropper

Bike Setup:   Nomad, super-D set up

Submitted by BikerMan123 a Cross Country Rider from Fullerton, CA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2008

Strengths:    1. Function: Ability to raise and lower seat while riding.
2. Value: Very low cost (Sale: $29.98).
3. Construction: Seems sturdy.

Weaknesses:    1. The seat bracket is very tall for many low height XC seats (like all of mine). The unit comes with a low cost style seat rail clamp that is very tall under the seat, and the large bolt protrudes even more. Many seats (maybe all) flex in the middle while riding, and the bottoms of my seats all had limited flex ability with this seatpost installed. I made my own additional spacer to lower the bolt so it does not protrude, but the bracket height is still too tall. This bracket seems better suited only for very tall seats or those with no middle sections.

2. The angle of the operation handle is not adjustable, and is not angled very much for steeper angle seatpost tubes on certain bikes (like mine). Thus, I had trouble getting the front of my seat low enough for my preference because of the handle clearance. Not sure what to do here, maybe cut off some of the handle end, or perhaps remove and replace the handle.

3. At 185lbs, thus far I have had some issues getting the seat down, but may be largely due to the aforementioned problem with my inability to angle my seat nose downward enough. I'll keep practicing when I install an old seat of mine soon (since my weight weenie approved, low height seat just will not work).

4. Heavy...not weight weenie approved.

5. Product came with no literature (no box, no operation suggestions, etc.)...just the seatpost in a plastic bag. So, not sure about any adjustments or maintenence.

6. Sette website does not offer a phone number for person-to-person customer service, only an email.

7. Only available in 27.7 size, which I presume to be the most "common" size (I had to get a 27.7-to-31.6 shim for my bike...more added $$$).

Bottom Line:
Still undecided if I will be happy with the compromises. If I need to buy a new seat, then the overall install cost goes up. Any new seat will need to conform to the design issues I mentioned above (bracket and handle clearances). If trying to keep costs down, then most cheaper seats are heavy (weight an issue in the new seatpost and many/most "cheap" seats). However, at $29.98 (what we might pay on average for a tire), it seems a safe bet to try it out.

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Price Point

Bike Setup:   KHS XC904R (med)

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    Instant adjustment, super inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Have to take a hand off the bar to adjust

Bottom Line:
I was worried I wouldn't be able to adjust the post when I first received it - like other reviewers, I struggled to get it to drop down using my body weight (I'm about ~157 lbs) when playing with the post in my driveway.

Once on the trail, I had no problem getting it to drop. While peddling, I shifted forward on the seat slightly & moved my upper body to match the angle of the seatpost (while hanging onto the lever, of course). The seat dropped instantly.

Dropping the seatpost on the descents made an incredible difference (I was actually catching up to my buddies on full suspension rides). On my first trailride, I probably dropped the post at least a dozen times... Instantly being able to move the post up after the descent was SOOOO nice.

I'd recommendd this for anyone that wants the freedom to drop their post without spending upwards $200+.

Overall, awesome seatpost at a fantastic price!

Favorite Trail:   Cape Horn Trail

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   Novara Hardtail, pretty much stock

Submitted by YZINGERR a Weekend Warrior from Fremont, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2008

Strengths:    -"4 inches of drop", really only comes to 3 when all said and done.
-Its a dropper seatpost!
-Cool idea if it worked properly

Weaknesses:    -Will not drop when riding, like someone said before me, i have to dismount in order to drop the seat.
-Very stiff spring (when depressing) and a heavy unit

Bottom Line:
This seemed like a good idea, works ok but cannot be dropped while riding though pricepoint claims "adjustment can be made on the fly".. i guess on the fly when you are stopped for a powerbar break..

$30.00 is hard to beat, im no weight weenie and dont really care that this is 10x heavier than an alloy seatpost.

After hopping off the bike to drop the seat, it is easier than trying to re-align the seat nose with the frame as it drops straight down.

Read the other reviews and then decide whether or not to buy it, im happy i did as i got what i expected.

Favorite Trail:   Chabot loop

Purchased At:   pricepoint, where el

Submitted by TBD Rider a Weekend Warrior from Duvall, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2008

Strengths:    Low cost, ease of use, conceptual design

Weaknesses:    Weight - it feels real heavy!

Bottom Line:
The cost is less than what I was originally planning for a standard seat post alone. The height adjustment "on the fly" is an added bonus. None of the problems above have been experienced. The post does exhibit some "cussioning" effect (like an office chair) when you rise up off it, and will settle slightly when you re-seat yourself. The ability to lower and raise the saddle make the minimal investment and higher weight tolerable. I would purchase it again and am waiting for a larger 30.9mm for the "BIG" Bike

Favorite Trail:   Tolt- Macdonald

Similar Products Used:   None (Adjustable) Thompson, Titec, TruVativ

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT - SRAM X9, Fox Float 140, WTB Saddle, Crank Bros Candy, TruVativ Bars & Stem, Race Face cranks, Mavic Crossride disc & Tioga tires

Submitted by weasel_4 a Weekend Warrior from PC, UT, Biatch

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2008

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Weight, less than easy operation

Bottom Line:
The producers of high quality collapsible seatposts need not worry about Sette Ryde invading the market with their super low-priced ST-850. First, the weight. Sette's unit has nearly three times the mass than a non-collapsible post and is significantly heavier than a Gravity Dropper. Let's not kid ourselves: weight matters, especially when it justifies a convenience.
And the convenience for this reviewer is only half there. Yes, the seat does pop-up succinctly and confidently with the easy pull of a lever; however, lowering it is a completely different matter. I weigh 170 lbs and I have to dismount and give it a CPR-like thrust to depress the seat. There seems to be some adjustments on the post like a threaded sleeve at the top of the base and a bolt underneath- neither of which seem to do anything- and Sette Ryde does not include *any* instructions nor troubleshooting tips with the ST-850.
So why didn't I give this product a failing grade? It is still heck of a lot more convenient than a traditional seatpost with a QR clamp. Popping the seat up when encountering a little hill during a descent, the on-the-fly seat height adjustment is a tremendous momentum saver. You just have to get off (in my case) and lower it (still slightly easier and quicker than a conventional seatpost) when you descend to a technical part and fear of going over the handlebars inspires a lower seat height.
I have seen other reviews (video & written) on this product and my impressions are that this product can work smoothly up and down. However, I am not alone, although my troubles may be more acute, when it comes to the less than ideal operation of lowering the seat as mentioned in review above.

I give this product 3 for Value and 3 Overall because the only reason you'd buy this is to save money and it does do what it is designed to do, just not that well.

Favorite Trail:   Gold Bar Rim

Similar Products Used:   GD seatposts

Bike Setup:   Marin WolfRidge with RP2, Fox 32 Float, XT Set Up

Submitted by Tovi Shavit a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2008

Strengths:    It's price - you get a dropper seat post for 35$ instead of 240$ ... As it is my first Dropper, ut seems cheap enough to make mistakes

Weaknesses:    Main problem is that after 10 minutes it lost the air pressure and stopped working ! I do not know if this is a common problem or not. Anyhow, I can't use the product.

The issue of the handle under the seat is O.K once you compare the price with te alternatives. Sette should also have the 30.9 size and others so no shim is required.

If the probkem I faced is rare, than I would say this is a very cost-effective product (for me, since I live in Israel,it was a waste of money - 35$, not 250 ...)

Bottom Line:
Assuming that the problem I faced is a rare one - this product is a very cost effective product.
Overall rating is poor (currentky) as it doesn't work ...

Favorite Trail:   Racham, Alon, Shokef

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Bike Setup:   SantaCruze Nimad X9 (AM)

Submitted by Daniel Plante a Cross Country Rider from Quebec City, qc, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2008

Strengths:    For a All-Mountain rider, it's a big advantage to be able to lower / get higher the lenght of the seatpost... higher = better pedaling effiency, lower = put your gravity center in a better position when going downhill, doing drops, etc... without havint to get down the bike and playing with your QR ! And for only 35$, it's worth for the money to make a try ! It's getting higher verry esaly in seconds, the get lower... that depends...

Weaknesses:    Weight! kind of heavy... that will frighten XC riders for sure, buy not that big weaknesse for a all-mountain rider.

Saddle inclinasion: might interfer with the mecanism. You have lo leave enough space between the lever of the seatport and the nose of the saddle. I guess that if you have a lot of angle for your seatpost, that will be a big problem... for me, it's just tight... asmost a problem, bu still OK (except if I'd like to lower the inclinasion of my saddle nose).

Rider's weight (I'm only 150 lbs). Sometimes I almost have to jump and land my but on the saddle while holding the lever so it can lower.

Bottom Line:
The mecanism seems easy to work and tough. It think it would work perfectly to lower if the seat angle of my bike would be about 90 degrees... but when you put the seatpost in angle, like 72, it's getting more complicated. That might also be because of my weight is on the back of the saddle cause when I place it more in front of it, it's much more easy to lower the saddle.

I like that product, I love the price of it, but it's just that I have to be honest and describe the weaknesses and explane them so people can do their mind by themselves. I still have my old Titec lightweight Seatpost, buy I prefer for sure to stay with my new Sette Ryde ST-850 Suspension Dropper Seatpost.

For 35$, if you are a AM, FR or DH rider, go for a try and buy it !

Favorite Trail:   Kingdom Trails, VT, USA

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Similar Products Used:   None for the moment, buy I would like to compare with the Gravity Dropper (GD) and the speedball from Maverick, that are much more expensives (more that 250$ each).

Bike Setup:   All Mountain (AM)setup with 5.75" of travel: