Sette APX Alloy Seatpost Seatpost

4.09/5 (23 Reviews)

The APX alloy post offers a high performance lightweight and durable package made from straight gauge 2014 T-6 aluminum tubing. The CNC machined dual rocker bolt clamp is extremely strong and provides a wide range of micro adjustability. 400mm long, 255g.

Submitted by buddhak a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2011

Strengths:    Dirt cheap, lightweight, does the job.

Weaknesses:    Not as bling as a Thomson. Adjustment isn't as slick as, say, a Salsa post.

Bottom Line:
If you need a lightweight, zero setback Thomson knock-off at a 1/3 the price of Thomson, look no further. Honestly, it is a simple bike part and $30 buys a lot of function here.

Favorite Trail:   The next one

Purchased At:   Pricepoint, I think

Similar Products Used:   Many laprade set-ups, American classic

Bike Setup:   Surly KM, Yelli Screamy

Submitted by Bajamike a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2010

Strengths:    Lite weight 254g for 27.2 and 266 for 30.9, durable(if you are not overweight), inexpensive, and nicely made.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I found on my older one was the front adjuster bolt was too long. My seat would actually bottom out on the bolt. I simply cut it shorter and haven't had any other issues.

Bottom Line:
I bought my first seat post about 5 years ago under the Pazzaz name. I believe Pazzaz now makes them for Sette and other companies. I have been using this post on two bikes for a while and it hasn't skipped a beat. I just purchased a new Sette Apx for another bike I own. It definitely seems to be just as good as my old Pazzaz. For the money you can't beat it.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Kore, Ritchey, Thompson, etc

Bike Setup:   05 Jamis Dakar and 99 Specialized Stumpjumper hard tail

Submitted by kurtisk a Weekend Warrior from Brandon, FL

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2010

Bottom Line:
Larger Riders beware! I weigh in at about 250#s. Mine bent at the collar within a month on a full suspension Racer X. The Max'm that came with the Titus had no problems with the same load for over 6 mo. I cannot recommend.

Submitted by danielnc06 a Weekend Warrior from charlotte, nc

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2009

Strengths:    fairly light, nice rail clamp, alloy

Weaknesses:    none so far, rail clamp could be black too

Bottom Line:
a decent well built post. lightweight when compared to others of the same price. the clamp is nice and works well. seems strong so far!

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Submitted by calebs_tenspeed a Cross Country Rider from Houlton, Maine USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2009

Strengths:    Very light, cheap, and good looking.

Weaknesses:    It takes a little patience to get your seat adjusted just right, but when you get it set it clamps on real tight!

Bottom Line:
I needed a light cheap seatpost so I thought I'd take a chance on this. I bought the white alloy and man it looks nice! I was actually surprised at the quality. I ride mostly cross country and singletrack and I only weigh 143 so I'm not really testing this to the extreme but for what I do I really like it. Also the measurement numbers really help with the set up!

Favorite Trail:   Bradberry Mt. State Park

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Alpha Q carbon, Ritchey Comp

Bike Setup:   05 KHS Comp Soft Tail with Amercan Classic Terrain wheelset, Rock SHox Reba Team, Full SRAM x-7, Shimano SLX disc

Submitted by Tim Blabbing a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2008

Strengths:    Light (264 grams for 30.9 size), long, inexpensive, very trick looking, height markings are ingenious

Weaknesses:    Head design can make it very hard to install saddles where the rails are very close to the saddle shell, e.g., Sette's own Nyx saddle. Height markings are the reverse of what they should be, i.e., the lower number should be higher up on the post, so as you drop the post the number also drops, instead of the way it is, where the more dropped the post is the higher number you have.

Bottom Line:
Don't know about the overall durability/longevity of this post, but I'm very happy with it. The price/weight factor is impressive. Figure in that it's a full 400 mm length (you could probably drop about 10-15 grams if it were a 350mm length) and it's hard to find anything in the ballpark, pricewise. This is because the head system is pretty darn ingenious. This post would be perfect for me if the height markings were reversed, but considering the price, weight, looks I'll rate it as a great product. I will definitely post when this thing breaks.

Concerning breaking posts, if someone can bend a Thompson then NO post is sacrosanct.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Sport (heavy and bland), Kalloys (heavy and bland), Odyssey Intac (total trash head design), Control Tech II (stupidly bulky and overbuilt), Supergo house-brand post (they totally lied about the weight)

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant STP1

Submitted by Tobin from Flagstaff, Az

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2006

Strengths:    Worked ok for 2 years.

Weaknesses:    Not a solid product! After 2 years the head became unbonded from the mast. If you ride at all hard look elsewhere. I'm done with Pricepoint, as they pretty much told me to go @@## myself on a warrenty return. Spend some extra cash and look into a Thomson, Tune, Roox, or KCNC!!

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this post!! If you're tight on cash look into one of the new Control Techs, they utilize a one piece head and mast as well as two bolt micro-adjust with layback.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Other garbage seatposts with bonded heads.

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Poughkeepsie

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2006

Strengths:    Super Light, Super Strong. Nice clean look & has a great feel.

Bottom Line:
Another great product by Sette. Alot of people look at my bike & see all sorts of high end components then they wonder why I through a Sette product on like my Stem & seatpost. My only answer is DEPENDABLE at a great price, plus super light. How can you go wrong.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Similar Products Used:   titec

Bike Setup:   Custom

Submitted by el ray from the midwest

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2006

Strengths:    strong, light, cheap, good looking, not made for mother huckers (that's a good thing)

Weaknesses:    for some reason this cross country seatpost can't withstand 60 foot drops. it must be crummy.

Bottom Line:
I have put these posts on all of my bikes that needed posts (like 4 or so). I have never wanted anything different. The zero offset is obviously a matter of preference, but personally I love it. Like the other guy said, don't over-torque the bolts or they will strip. And if it squeaks, you haven't tightened it enough. Just be smart about it. Great post.

Submitted by Zach Liscio from Colchester, Vermont

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2006

Strengths:    Inexpensive, great for easy riding

Weaknesses:    weak

Bottom Line:
this seatpost is great for easy riding. it broke second day using it when i went off a 4 foot drop.

Favorite Trail:   Kokopelli's

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Bike Setup:   '04 enduro pro, avid, marzocchi, sram, and unfortunetly shimano.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from California

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2006

Strengths:    Inexpensive, extremely well made, light. Two bolt clamping system. This is the old Synchros seatpost that once costed $80.

Weaknesses:    Be careful when torquing down the bolts because the washers will snap if you over-tighten.

Bottom Line:
Had to replace a Thompson Elite that I somehow managed to bend, and wasn't really in the mood to drop $80 on a post so went with the Sette. It was about 5 years old, though. Anyhow, I'd actually give the edge to the Sette for the clamping system. It's nicer IMO than the Thompson. But, the Thompson probably has the edge on sheer strength with its oval shaped tube. We'll see how the Sette holds up. I will report back if any negatives arise.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Thompson Elite.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, XT hauldraulic discs, XTR, Spynergy, Chris King, etc.

Submitted by John from Fullerton

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2006

Strengths:    great price,strength.

Weaknesses:    None!!

Bottom Line:
GREAT PRODUCT !!Not too sure what Eryk is talking about I big guy (205lbs) and I have slammed this think up at Big Bear a few times. Just go out and buy it, trust me you won't be dissapointed.

Favorite Trail:   Chino Hills

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Sette frame

Bike Setup:   Sette Reken,bb7.marzocci comp,mavic crossland,Mhthos Irc II,Crank Brox candy,Easton,....need i go on?

Submitted by Eryk a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2005

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Bent after 2 rides on a full suspension frame - my weight is 155.

Bottom Line:
I liked the design of the clamping mechanism, but the seatpost bent after only two short rides!! My weight is 155-160 pounds with the gear - so good seatpost would have lasted for more rides than two. If the seatpost bends - then it is not a good product - therefore lowest rating.