Salsa Cycles Shaft Post Seatpost

3.92/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 294 grams

Simple independent adjustments and rear offset through the unique cam-actuated angle adjuster.
410 x 26.8, 27.0, 27.2, 31.6mm: also 350 x 28.6
Black or Silver with gray head.

Submitted by jadedbee a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2007

Strengths:    looks sexy, priced right, made by Salsa, ease of adjustability, has some kickback for getting seat farther back for more power

Weaknesses:    creaks a lot, requires extreme torque to prevent slippage, extreme torque caused plastic swivel-y bit to crack

Bottom Line:
I bought this because I needed to get farther back from the cranks and didn't have the money to spring for a Thomson layback post. For the most part I was pleasently suprised that it was such a good looking and adjustable post for a lot less $. But I had a lot more slippage problems, both at the shaft and the rails/tilt. These also make a lot of creaking noises. I cut a piece of rim tape to put between the clamp and the top clamp rest where there was some play and it helped a little. But in a real muddy race the thing totally came loose on me several times, costing me a podium. I subsequently began over tightening everything and proceeded to crack the swiveling barrel piece where the screw head tightens up against it and also broke the head off my stock Bonty QR clamp. I replaced the QR with a Salsa, which works much better and have been keeping an eye on the tilt adjust crack which still seems to work ok. I now have a new one of these posts which came stock on my El Mariachi and it is having the same slippage issues. I will see if I can find a good measure of tightness that won't damage the componants. I'm thinking this is more of an issue because I ride hard tails and wonder if I should go to a carbon fiber or true layback post to lessen the abuse (I've broken the clamps right off other posts). Full suspension riders that don't need a lot of kickback should love this post.

Favorite Trail:   Connector, Auburn

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager stock, older heavy posts

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 hard tail, Salsa El Mariachi 29er hard tail

Submitted by Pre a Cross Country Rider from Prescott, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2007

Strengths:    Easy Adjustment
Cool Looks

Bottom Line:
I had a Thompson Setback, but out on the trail it broke (crack by the quick release). Bought this on sale as a replacement and I couldn't be happier; this is the only post that lets me adjust my seat how I like it. Really dig Salsa products- they're fine to look at and work great. Better post than Thompson.

Favorite Trail:   Huckaby Loop

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Thompson, but this is better

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakota with XT stuff

Submitted by Mike Sweum a Racer from Sioux city,Iowa

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2007

Strengths:    looks,finish ease of adjustment,not to heavy,overall quality,strong

Weaknesses:    slips easily-have to really tighten the hell out of the seat post clamp to solve the problem.Not the lightest post.

Bottom Line:
Bought the post to upgrade over the heavy junk that I had priorly stock.Adjustment feature is awesome but the finish is a little smooth.Slipage goes away once you really tighten clamp to it's max. I would buy it again,the quality is just to good.

Favorite Trail:   Stone Park

Purchased At:   Albrecht Cycle

Bike Setup:   F600 Cannondale

Submitted by Nick Price from Birmingham, UK

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2006

Strengths:    looks, very cleaver adjustment

Weaknesses:    very smooth finish slips easily

Bottom Line:
a very very nice looking post, only comes in layback.

adjustments are made by loosening off the pivot bolt, then slotting an aneel key into the side of the clamp itself and then twisting to make the adjustment, their are no indents, and the adjustment is smooth and as tunable as your hand allows.

the actual rail clamp is your standard 6mm allen key from underneath affair. all hardware is machined alu with stainless steel bolts.

my main gripe is the finish is very slick and smooth, unlike machined posts its alot more likley to slip unless the QR is done up very tight. id only reccomend this post to people who use a standard non QR clamp and dont drop their saddle out on the trail.

4 out of 4 - good looks and a control freaks dream, best suited to dedicated XC.

Favorite Trail:   Coed-ye-brennin

Purchased At:   Halfords

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, easton, push

Bike Setup:   seatpost is fitted to a kinses maxlight xc hardtail, 27.2

Submitted by Matt Hamilton a Weekend Warrior from West Hartford

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2006

Strengths:    Adjutability, stiffness

Weaknesses:    ????

Bottom Line:
I really like this post. I was looking for a thomson elite with lay back but non of my local shops (don't buy online guys - support your local shops!!!) had any, just when I was going to tell the guy to order one I saw the salsa in the case. I Checked it out and it made sense. It it all of 2-3 ounces heavier than a thompson, Not an issue!!!!
I am very happy I bought this instead - so far it is super stiff, silent and does not slip. The independent adjustments are super easy, and work. Thompsons are great too but a PIA to set up and more expensive. Having used Salsa skewers and post clamps in the past I knew the quality was there too. I have downhilled with this thing without issue but use it mainly for trail riding. Oh ya it looks good too.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast and rocky

Similar Products Used:   Thompson (several), Bontrager, Easton c/f and alum. various generics

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Prophet - Fox / XT /avid / Spinergy / firex etc. etc. nothing stock....

Submitted by MBOZ from Hurley Mountain NY

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2006

Strengths:    Adjustiblity, strength

Weaknesses:    well, the adjustibility as the components will creak and squeak if you don't keep them greased and the finish wore off fairly quickly, mostly I think due to me constantly putting the bike in my stand.

Bottom Line:
I've used this seatpost for over 3 years now, never once had an issue with it except for the creaking coming from the nicely machined adjustment components. I took all parts off yesterday and greased for 1st time, creaks/squeaks disappeared! Comes with an extra long post and can be cut to length, I reccommend this seatpost to anyone who really wants to dial in their seating/nose position on any saddle. I don't adjust it too often but it certainly fits the bill for adjustibility! 5 chilis across the board, was cheaper than Thompson and offers more adjustibility!

Favorite Trail:   backyard selections

Purchased At:   Cycle Therapy

Similar Products Used:   Thompson, American Classic

Bike Setup:   30lbs Ellsworth trail bike.. Eats up rocks, logs and drops.

Submitted by Howie a Cross Country Rider from Longmont

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2005

Strengths:    Looks nice

Weaknesses:    squeeks like a mother

Bottom Line:
Garbage post. tried 3 saddles, all squeeked. Tried grease, tried sandpaper. No help.
Stick with a Thomson. No worries. 2 chilles because of the other Salsa stuff I use.

Favorite Trail:   Winter Park Area

Purchased At:   Excel SPorts

Similar Products Used:   Syncros, Thomson.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed HT. All the goodies

Submitted by Jason Mitchell a Weekend Warrior from Georgetown,Co,U.S.A

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2004

Strengths:    simple answer to the problem of adjusting seat angles for personal prefences,

Weaknesses:    finish whares quickly

Bottom Line:
I don't really think about my seatpost so that should tell you that it simply works .Yes I would buy this product again and yes I would recomend this to other for x/c roadie use even though it is a bit heavy for gram counters.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Excel

Similar Products Used:   most of the other seat post have bin stock or noname

Bike Setup:   binachi brava yes a road bike convert to SS,johny rotten SS

Submitted by Rod Munch from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2003

Strengths:    Very sturdy, strong clamp, separate tilt/slide adjustment. "Shaft" logo in finest Roundtree tradition.

Weaknesses:    Don't use the adjustments often, then forget how since the system is nonconventional.

Bottom Line:
Strong post, made well. Not the lightest, weakest, most expensive or cheapest. Good all around.

Favorite Trail:   Mile O' Berms

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Easton CT2, Ritchey Pro, Kalloy, Control Tech

Bike Setup:   Coil sprung K2 Razorback. XT, Mars Comp Coil.

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Houghton, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2002

Strengths:    Stiff, Strong, very easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    Slight squeaking

Bottom Line:
I've had no problems with this seatpost. I have noticed a slight squeaking, but that hasn't effected my riding at all. Adjusting the seat angle, height, and fore-aft position is amazingly easy on the Salsa Shaft. I would recomend this seatpost to anyone.

Purchased At:   Price Point