Salsa Cycles Flip-Offs Seat Collar Q/R Seatpost

3.58/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by sumquo a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, BC

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2010

Weaknesses:    Very poor quaility control. The collar that I purchased was 3mm smaller than it should have been .. 35mm collar was just 32mm. Salsa support was not much help.

Bottom Line:
Absolute garbage.

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   $3 Nashbar Q/R seat collar which, unlike the Salsa, was properly sized.

Submitted by slalomnorth a Racer from Cedarburg, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2009

Strengths:    Strong, looks awesome, sleek, light, It's salsa!

Weaknesses:    A little pricy

Bottom Line:
It does what is supposed to, which is clamping, being lightweight, being strong, and looking awesome. Salsa makes the best seat clamps on the market so go get yours.

Purchased At:   Extreme ski and bike

Similar Products Used:   Regular generic clamps

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Sumpreme

Submitted by Steve Edwards a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2007

Strengths:    Looks great. I can't think of a better looking seat clamp. It also matches the Salsa skewers i run on all my wheels.

Weaknesses:    Performance in wet, muddy conditions is a let down. Any grime near the mechanism and it galls and binds something terrible. Why doesn't it come with a nylon running surface just like the wheel skewers?

Bottom Line:
I keep buying them and I keep using them because they're so pretty! I've developed the habit of staking a swig from my camelbak and spitting/spraying at the clamp before I undo it. If someone made something this nice with a nylon bush, I'd try it, failing that, why not an internal cam action? I'll keep using them as I'm a self-confessed bike tart but I can't recommend them to other people. If you buy one, regular cleaning and a little light lube is in order. Not expensive so good value but the function lets them down.

Favorite Trail:   anything in the Alps

Purchased At:   LBS/mail order (I have 3 of them)

Similar Products Used:   OEM and HOPE

Bike Setup:   Fox shocks, hope brakes, XTR/XT Race face drive.

Submitted by Slow Ed a Cross Country Rider from Spawn Ranch, Cali, USA

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2005

Strengths:    Super smooth cam action, clamps evenly.

Weaknesses:    This might not be a weakness but actually just a sizing issue. The clamp would not hold my post tight, upon inspection I noticed the clamp was bottoming out before it could get tight enough to bind the post fully. I sanded between where the where the clamp is split, to allow it to come to a tighter diameter. Once that was done, it performed flawlessly.

Bottom Line:
The clamp is even clinching, the cam action of the lever is very smooth and feels like a quality engineered product made from quality materials. The machining and surface finish is top notch. Obviously a disco seat clamp is not going to win you the tour de france, but, any part that is not grossly overpriced and works, looks and feels of the quality this one does, is worth a look.

Favorite Trail:   Your Mom

Purchased At:   Wheel World

Similar Products Used:   All manner of allen bolt type, and cheezy oem stuff that came on different frames.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar pro, carbon stuff, ti stuff, mavic x517's, white hubs, all xt, yada yada

Submitted by Weasel a Racer from Berlin

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2005

Strengths:    Salsa machinery. Cool looks, especially the silver one.

Weaknesses:    Does not work very well.

Bottom Line:
I like Salsa parts normally - I have the skewers on my wheels, but this QR really sucks. I only weigh 71kgs and my Thompson seatpost kept slipping further into my frame. I REALLY tightened the QR so much so that the thing started creaking when I closed it. That is definately not good for my frame and seat post. It looks very nice though - that's one of the reasons why I bought it, and because it matches my skewers, but I have replaced it with my cheapo clamp that came with the frame and it holds brilliantly.

2 chili's for the value (because of it's looks)
1 chili overall for poor function.

Sorry Salsa!

Purchased At:   H&S

Similar Products Used:   A cheapo QR that came with my frame.

Bike Setup:   Steppenwolf Tundra, Fox 100 RLC, XTR cranks, XO shifters, Avid SD Ti brakes, Mav. 517 ceramics and 240 hubs.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Blue Bell, PA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2004

Strengths:    Grips, easy to adjust

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Flip Lock Seatpost Clamp (the one that includes the clamp and Q.R.) This one really holds. I'm a big guy and nothing else I've tried holds this well. It's easy to loosen and doesn't catch on clothing.

Purchased At:   Universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   Stock Specialized, Salsa lip lock (the one without the Q.R.)

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Comp

Submitted by bumps27 a Weekend Warrior from Bethesda, MD

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to use, just looks right

Weaknesses:    Not the cheapest bauble, heavier then allen bolt clamp

Bottom Line:
What can you say? It works. I use it on a U.S.E. Alien carbon seatpost that uses a shim and the seatpost never slips and the carbon hasn't cracked. It works in rain, mud and sun. I'm buying another one now for my wife's new bike.

Favorite Trail:   Avalon

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS with many goodies

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Lakeside, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    This collar works well in most conditions. It is stylish, and firmly clamps the seatpost.

Weaknesses:    In muddy/wet conditions it does not work. It is expensive.

Bottom Line:
If its Salsa its worthless. I spend good money on my bike, and I expect dependable, high quality performance. This collar works really well until you get into any kind of mud. This collar nearly ruined one muddy ride, because I could not adjust my seat height without using an allan wrench. (The QR would not work.) The QR collar that came stock on my old GT Aggressor was better than this Salsa QR.

Favorite Trail:   Iron Mt.

Similar Products Used:   Stock QR collar.

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Specialist

Submitted by Obi-John a Downhiller from Silicon Valley

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2002

Strengths:    Works as advertised, very good ergonomics, hex bolt setting for clamping strength resists tampering

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Get this quick release seatpost! It is very well made, and works like a charm. I look at this purchase as an investment in safety - since it is so quick and easy to adjust, I am more likely to lower my seat for gnarly downhills, and therefore less likely to endo. The curved lever hugs the seat tube, so I don't get my clothes tangled up in it, but it is long enough to _not_ dig into my fingers when I operate it. It has plenty of holding power; I weigh 200 lbs and haven't seen any slippage. Make sure you get the correct clamp size for your seat tube outer diameter. Proper fit is key for good clamping power.

Favorite Trail:   Braille Trail, Soquel Demo Forest

Similar Products Used:   standard bolt-on collar

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Aeon Isis, Terry Fly saddle

Submitted by tim hovey a Weekend Warrior from douglasville

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Strengths:    The design looks good, but I have gone through 2 in the past year. I cannot see any strengths.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't work?!

Bottom Line:
The guys at the shop where I originally bought it said the first one was in a group that was recalled. So I tried another one but it does not tighten the seatpost enough unless I use an allen wrench. Has anyone else had this problem??
The bottom line is I don't think it works at all. I was suprised to read the other two reviews. The design looks bomber but it did not work. If anyone has any more info on the product I would appreciate an email.

Favorite Trail:   no name local trail

Purchased At:   Cycleworks