RockShox Shox Susp Post Seatpost

4.04/5 (24 Reviews)

Rock Shox Susp Post

Submitted by Goggles McDougal a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2004

Strengths:    Definately takes the edges off the small bumps and unexpected hits.

Weaknesses:    Weight.

Bottom Line:
This does exactly what it is supposed to: smooth out the small bumps. It definately saves my lower back (for those of us with lower back issues that pop up time to time). I especially appreciate it when I'm riding flat, smooth trails because I stay in the seat longer and would have had back concerns prior to installing this seatpost. If I buy another hardtail, I'd buy another post at the same time. Don't get me wrong: I like to save weight, just like everyone else, but unless you are a racer, (and I've rarely met one on the trails, right?), buy the dang thing. --Goggles.

Favorite Trail:   Bob's Run on Galbraith

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Bike Setup:   Specialized hardtail '01

Submitted by Paragon a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2003

Strengths:    It does what it's supposed to, kills vibrations and small bumps. It has a good, solid and adjustable clamp for the seat. You don't have to mess with it too much to make it work. It's a cheap upgrade that won't kill your wallet.

Weaknesses:    Might as well stand for those big hits because it's not going to help.

Bottom Line:
Your butt will thank you.

Favorite Trail:   show me the rough stuff

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Solid posts (Stock, Bontrager)

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin, long travel Manitou X-vert air fork.

Submitted by David Rollo a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2002

Strengths:    Set it up and forget it.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet

Bottom Line:
This seatpost is awsome. True it does not turn your bike into a full suspension bike, but I don't want a full suspension bike. What it has done has made 4-5 hour rides with 8-9 miles of uphill less stressful. That is what I wanted from the post and that is what I got.

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Specialized M2, Sid XC, Avid Arch rivale etc.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2002

Strengths:    Works as advertised; durable.

Weaknesses:    Well, it isn't a full suspension bike.

Bottom Line:
I haven't had a single issue with this seatpost. Has held up to abuse (I weigh 190lbs) and helps me stay in my seat more than I used to over roots and rought stuff. Great upgrade for hardtails if you aren't a weight freak.

Favorite Trail:   Dupont SF

Purchased At:   local shop

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Providence,RI

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Strengths:    This puppy takes the beating out of riding a hardtail.

Weaknesses:    I had to buy a 1999 model to avoid using a shim for my 27.0 post.

Bottom Line:
My back feels great, my legs & ass don't get pounded anymore increasing my riding endurance. I waited to purchase this since we had so many nay-sayers, of course a softail makes sense as it's set up like a real bike, as in Motocross. But this REALLY does add value to Mountain biking. I'll see how the product stands up and how good RockShox honors their warranties after SRAM acquired them.

Similar Products Used:   Thomson seatpost

Bike Setup:   Marin Nail Trail

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Glastonbury, CT

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    50mm of travel

Weaknesses:    The owner's manual's settings are a bit off...I weigh 170 and it says to put it on medium for up to an 180 lb rider but when I got on the first time ont he medium setting it went all the way down. It also weighs a lot and I don't really notice much of a difference in comfort.

Bottom Line:
For $75 I would much rather upgrade something else on my bike because I couldnt even notice the difference. I can see it going down when I lean on it but I cant tell much when I'm riding...a bit of a disappointment.

Favorite Trail:   Birch Mtn

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   no other supsension seatposts

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Mesa GSX, Xt, Psylo SL, avis brakes/levers, easton handle bar+stem

Submitted by patrick a Cross Country Rider from Amarillo TX.

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2001

Strengths:    It works

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
It works pretty well, I wouldn't buy it expecting it to fill all of your full suspension needs. I think that it smoothes out the small bumps and gravel like it was designed to do very well. I have taken this on several trails that I ride and I don't feel as hammered on after the ride. I also find that on some of the climbes I am inclined to sit a little longer, meaning I climb a little better. It's a good product for the die hard HT people who want maybe just a little more comfort out on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Palo Duro Canyon

Purchased At:   Hills sport shop

Bike Setup:   Specialized enduro HT Pro (without fenders). Sell Italia flite Trans am saddle and Titec Hellbent riser bar.

Submitted by Sergio a Cross Country Rider from Tulare

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2001

Strengths:    c'mon now...It's not that heavy considering it's a suspension seatpost.for anyone complaining about weight...duh.. smoothes out smaller ruts and potholes..makes bumpy trails a bit more plush.

Weaknesses:    the seat post shim thing.. seatpost comes in only one or two sizes...well if yo' bike ain't that size then yu' outta luck.. you have to shim it in..."shim sold seperately" give us a break rock shock co... Can you throw in the shims in the future??? I think $10 bucks for a lame shim is a bit too much

Bottom Line:
If your expecting to get the feel of a full suspension then wake up and smell the tri-flow..., but if you are looking for something to smooth out small ruts and potholes and don't want to come home feeling like you worked on a jackhammer all day, then this is for you...It's a decent product. Yeah it still has room for improvement, but hey Rome wasn't built in a day... I wouldn't recommend spending no more than lets say $70 bucks on it.

Favorite Trail:   my own by paths full of blood and sweat

Purchased At:   Cambria bike store

Bike Setup:   specialized, full xt, manitou sx-r, sun rhyno lites, sram attack shifters( they rock!!!)

Submitted by LuisV a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Strengths:    Excellent build quality. Great Rock Shox customer support and reliability. Performs as expected.

Weaknesses:    A slight weight increase over a standard seatpost, ugly color.

Bottom Line:
As mentioned in other reviews... it does exactly what it is supposed to do. It helps to take bumps out of the road and soaks up vibration. It WILL NOT give you the ride of a full suspension bike, but again that's not what it is intended for. If you're looking for a back and rear-end saver then this post will give you what you're looking for... if you want the benifits of rear suspension (ie. better traction) then get a full suspension frame. Want to help soften a hard tail's ride then by all mean go out and buy this post as it will not disappoint you! :)

Purchased At:   www.jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Post Modern Suspension Seatpost, no-name standard seatpost.

Bike Setup:   Haro Werks XCR Frame, XT & SRAM Drivetrain, Manitou Mars Elite Fork, Mavic x517 Rims on XT Hubs, Azonic Handlebar and a Thomson Elite Stem

Submitted by scott a Cross Country Rider from oregon

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2000

Strengths:    looks cool, works better than most suspension seatposts.

Weaknesses:    heavy, pointless

Bottom Line:
this seatpost came with my bike and i gotta say its a waste. for one you dont need it going up hills and you dont need it going down unless you are a yuppie and you like sitting on your seat down a hill. i crashed into a tree the other day and i bent one of the bolts on my seatpost to a 90 degree angle and i wasnt going all that fast. so its time to buy me a thompson elite.

Favorite Trail:   mac forest

Bike Setup:   moab disc

Submitted by Brad the Okie a Cross Country Rider from Oklahoma City

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Strengths:    Looks Sharp; Pretty Good Travel; Make the little bumps go away

Weaknesses:    Side-to-side travel; Stiction

Bottom Line:
Nice for the money. Has took much stiction; Comes with two rubber innards for differnt spring rates. Don't expect a silky plush ride, but it DOES smooth out the little bumps. Hey if you're hittin' the really big rocks you need a hard tail anyhow.

Purchased At:   Revolutions Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Thomson

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F900SX, Lefty, Coda Expert Hydraulics; Serfa Body Geometry Seat

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Stow, OH USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2000

Strengths:    Pretty nice ride... looks pretty neat... reminds you when you should be standing

Weaknesses:    Weight, not extremeley smooth, tends to stick a little (may be because its new and needs broken in)

Bottom Line:
Provides a nice ride... doesn't really give a lot when hitting bumps, seems to work opposite and rise after hitting bumps. Very nice when you hit a large bump, kinda ejects you outta your seat. It may just need more of a break in period, but I expected move give than recoil. Very easy to adjust too, just turn the adjuster on the bottom and remove or add spacers and elastomers. Also, its a little jerky and sticks from time to time, but this may also relate to break in. Comes with a nice jar of Judy Butter too.

Bike Setup:   Trek 930, Marzocchi Z2 BAM, Serfas RX, SRAM GripShift

Submitted by A J a Racer from N.J.

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2000

Strengths:    Lightest suspention seatpost I can find with 2" of travel. Very smooth trail absorbing. Not to squishy, not to firm

Weaknesses:    Their is some side-side play, but if you replace the keys very carefully it stops. Thats about it

Bottom Line:
I have been racing for 4 years know. This seatpost has made me faster over the ruff stuff. It is great, and doesn't add that much weight. For all you people who think it needs to maintanence, think of this post as a Ferrari. Ferraris are faster then most other cars, but need frequent maintanance to keep running smoothly. You people out their with problems are treating the post like a ford or toyota, which sacrifices performance for reliability. So, for any machine on the planet, frequent maintenance will make it perform alot better. Put some Judy Butter on that puppy and go out to win!!!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   mahalon dickerson