Ritchey WCS Seatpost

2.08/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 235 grams MSRP : $104.95

Ritchey WCS Seatpost: One piece 3D-Net forged 7075 alloy. Two-bolt design for easy to adjust, vise-like grip. Low profile clamp won't bottom out on saddle. Wide saddle clamp reduces stress on lightweight saddle rails...

Submitted by oswald

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2013

Strengths:    It's light, looks good and is affordable.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I used this post for years of marathon and xc racing on my mountainbike. And have just ordered one for my road bike as a replacement for a 10 year old Selcof Titanium that started developing a crack.
I'm surprised to read all the negative reviews here about the clamping. I've never had this issue with my mountainbike. It has held my SI SLR with carbon rails in it's place for years.
I hope the one I ordered for my roadbike does it's job just like the one on my mtb.

Submitted by TJRosson a Racer from Austin

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2010

Strengths:    Weight. Looks good.

Weaknesses:    As others have noted, the clamp doesn't hold and eventually your saddle tilt moves.

Bottom Line:
Incredibly poor design. I've very disappointed.

Similar Products Used:   Thomson

Bike Setup:   Single speed.

Submitted by golden boy a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2010

Strengths:    Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Clamp doesn't hold.

Bottom Line:
I'm completely disappointed. Shame on you, Ritchey. I thought I could trust the Ritchey name, but their curving seatpost clamp design fails the most basic and important test: it doesn't hold! It doesn't matter how light it is, or how good it looks, it just plain doesn't work!

Similar Products Used:   Uhh, other seatposts.

Bike Setup:   Not important to this review.

Submitted by Wogster a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL USA

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    Reasonable weight, post markings (unlike Thomson)

Weaknesses:    Saddle rail clamps

Bottom Line:
Don't bother! Unlike most 2-clamp systems that clamp fore and aft preventing saddle tilt the WCS clamps on both sides and both surfaces (post and cap) are smooth instead of knurled allowing said tilt and painfully offending 'Big Al and the Boys' on the first 5 mile ride on very mellow terrain. I'm 5'10" and 170 and a torque wrench fanatic and the parts were not greased. Very poor design. A company as old as Ritchey should know better.

Favorite Trail:   Santos/Oca;a

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, Easton EA70/EC70, FSA OEM

Bike Setup:   09 Niner RIP 9, FOX Fit RLC, XT/XTR, Elixer CR

Submitted by nylonus a Cross Country Rider from Gliwice, Silesia, Poland

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2009

Strengths:    weight

Weaknesses:    paint

Bottom Line:
Version WCS WET BLACK 31,6/400. I've used it only two weeks so I can't tell anything about durability. When it's new it looks beautiful but after deinstallation the outer ("WET") paint just chiped. It shouldn't happened with WCS products.
Seller was OK, they gave me money back.
If You want WCS seatpost dont't buy WET version.

Favorite Trail:   a lot of

Purchased At:   lemonbike

Similar Products Used:   Amoeba (poor), KBIX (v.poor), Boplight (good), Thomson (v.good)

Bike Setup:   Centurion Backfire Hydro frame, Sram X-9, Fox F100RLC, Mavic Crossride, Avid Juicy 7...

Submitted by Detective365 a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    Looked good with the Ritchey seat I bought... light? but not especially so.

Weaknesses:    saddle clamps.

Bottom Line:
The seat post clamps do not stay. Wait until you hit your first drop, wonder why the front of your seat is jabbing you in the balls all of a sudden.
I am a larger rider, but not heavy by any means; 6'3" 180 lbs. The first 3-foot drop I went off in the new setup, The seat quite literally fell away. The clamps didn't hold, and the seat angle was about 30 degrees different than I had originally set it. Had to stop in the middle of a trail ride to adjust/re-tighten the seat again so I could actually sit in the seat without sliding off.
Seatpost was slightly more expensive than the other adjustable angle tubes I was looking at, so I thought it would equate to better quality, right? Wrong. I'm going to send it back claiming defect, we'll see if I get a response. Ritchey doesn't offer warranties though, so I'm not holding out much hope.

Basically, I haven't been happy with any ritchey seat products I've ordered; will not be purchasing their products again.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine

Purchased At:   Online through Ritch

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Bontrager, Easton

Bike Setup:   Salsa Mamasita, Saint shifters/derailleur, Juicy Ultimate brakes

Submitted by rerz a Cross Country Rider from Springfield, VA U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2008

Strengths:    Good for light duty trail and xc riding. Decent looks and sleek profile.

Weaknesses:    Too lightweight for heavier riders. I'm 136 lbs. and worked well for me, but when a friend took my bike for a spin (he's around 200 lbs.), the clamps didn't hold up and the saddle moved out of position but the seatpost didn't break.

Bottom Line:
The Ritchey WCS setapost works fine for lighter riders, but not a good idea for a heavier rider. Also jumping with this seatpost is probably not a good idea either. I am upgrading to a Thomson setback seatpost, but only because I need the setback to stretch out the cockpit on my bike a bit. Not because I'm totally unsatisfied with this product.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Marin Bikes proprietary seatpost.

Bike Setup:   Marin Hawk Hill HT with XTR Shadow RD, Shimano Hone cranks, Maxm saddle, Mavic Crossride wheelset, Syntace Vector carbon handlebar, Cane Creek S-6 headset, Avid BB7 brakes, Ritchey WCS 90mm stem, and Ritchey WCS seatpost.

Submitted by Bubbolo a Weekend Warrior from Florence, Italy

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2008

Strengths:    It's light. Stop.

Weaknesses:    Saddle clamp, finish.

Bottom Line:
Not for me, seat clamp is horrible, impossible to find a good fit.
Finish is average.

Similar Products Used:   Thomson

Bike Setup:   KTM HT Carbon full XTR, FOX 32 80X, DT Wheels

Submitted by hantulaut -- a Cross Country Rider from Jakarta, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Strengths:    This is a poor product.

Weaknesses:    The clamp underneath the seatpad has a sudden broken.
Luckily i wasnt in high a speed riding into track.

Bottom Line:
I bought this RITCHEY WCS arround 2 years ago from Rodalink, a local bike shop in Jakarta.
Last month, i found the clamp grip of this seat post has a sudden broken.
My weight have arround 60kg.
The seatpost attached at my superlite XC bike, never did DJ, and never tried DH. Purely for XC only.

Picture:

Video:

Purchased At:   RODALINK, Jakarta

Similar Products Used:   Selle Royalle.
Fizzik.
Selle Italia.
Vello
Biologic Dahon.

Bike Setup:   Reactor XClite Polygon equipped with Shimano XT+LX groupset.

Submitted by kam_ja a Cross Country Rider from Philly

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2006

Strengths:    Looks Cool, light weight

Weaknesses:    The clamp sucks. It kept coming loose on the trails when I first installed the seatpost. I have to tighten it every week to make sure the bolts are secure. The clamps also creeks and makes a lot of noise. Very annoying...

Bottom Line:
I'm not a big fan of this seatpost. The clamp creeks and will frequently come loose if you don't check it periodically. I have to admit that it's tough for it's light weight and intended use. I weigh 160 lbs and have been riding it for 3 years and it hasn't broken on me for my aggressive X country riding style. I have a matching WCS stem and it rocks! 2 chilis because it not a good clamp design. 3 chilis for value because it hasn't broken on me.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Easton Carbon

Bike Setup:   Indy Fab Ti Deluxe, Rock Shox Sid, Cross country / racing setup.

Submitted by ramon rionda a Cross Country Rider from Houston

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2006

Strengths:    extremely light, good clamping mechanism

Weaknesses:    extremely light means not as strong as heavy...doh

Bottom Line:
I was worried about the seat post becuase of how light it is. I ride light trails, maybe up to 1 foot drop, on a more or less cross country style bike. I weigh 215 pounds and have ridden about 900 miles on this seat post in the past 3 months.

no issues on local Houston trails, as I am typically off my seat when hitting a big obstacle or drop. This is definitely not a hucker seat post, but it is nice and light if you do cross country, to light trail riding

Favorite Trail:   triangle