Ritchey Expert Seatpost

1.88/5 (42 Reviews)

Ritchey Expert

Submitted by riderz43 a Cross Country Rider from boise, ID USA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2004

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    slippage

Bottom Line:
Absolute junk. Seat kept slipping. I had to tighten it so tight I needed to cut the seatpost from the seat with an angle grinder to liberate the seat. The design is just fundamentally flawed. I can't recommend this seatpost to anyone. See the list above. I have owned a seatpost from many many manufacturers and I can say without hesitation this is the worst seatpost EVER. There are plenty of other posts in this price range that are far superior. If someone gave it to you for your kid's ride that might be acceptable, but I can't think of any other use for this seatpost.

Favorite Trail:   itsasecret

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   kore,weyless,thomson,ringle,kalloy,synchros,icon, bontrager, probably more- I just can't remember 'em all.

Bike Setup:   Giant VT2

Submitted by Stinky Wiz a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2004

Strengths:    Length, price

Weaknesses:    eventually bends

Bottom Line:
If you're buyin' this, it's 'cause it's cheap & long. It is cheap & I have had three over the years. I weigh 220 & ride tech singletrack w/drops & all. I also have a frame size a tad small for me so I need an extra long post, but I drop the post for the DH.

The deal is that this post is made of soft 6000 series aluminum. It is not machined or anything. It works, but it will bend over time if you smash into it. I have made my last one last about a year, but chrome colored one I had before it bent in a couple of months. I do ride it close to its maximum extension most of the time so....hey, I can go through four before I expend as much as a chi-chi post.

Guess what....I just ordered a Thompson layback 410mm (I like looks, rep & it hopefully it will be worth $ over time)!

When you gotta have a long seatpost now for cheap, this is your dog.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Bobs

Similar Products Used:   Raceface XY, Syncros, Control Tech, many no-names

Bike Setup:   Heckler Z1

Submitted by ATBScott a Cross Country Rider from Castro Valley, CA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Strengths:    Reasonably lightweight - holds saddle in position, looks pretty decent.

Weaknesses:    Intermittent creaking - sometimes very loud and other times absolutely silent for a number of rides...

Bottom Line:
This has been a decent post for me. Nothing to write home about, but no real complaints other than the squeaking (in the saddle, climbing steeper grades, otherwise quiet and sometimes is silent for days - even on the climbs... Hmmmm... I weighed anywhere from 180 to close to 200 while I have owned this post (5 years). The creaking has not ever been enough of a problem to seriously consider replacing the thing, but I likely wouldn't buy one, with companies like Thomson and Synchros, etc... making nice posts for a reasonable expense.

OK for a cross-country or trail rider who is not too heavy, and doesn't thrash equipment

4 chilis for both categories

Keep the rubber side down!

Favorite Trail:   Can there be only ONE?

Purchased At:   Came on Bike - '99 FSR XC Comp

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, Custom Carbon Fiber, Suntour (anyone remember them?) and others...

Bike Setup:   '99 FSR XC Comp, pretty much stock with XT cranks and a Rockshox Duke XC 100, Oury, Terry, blah blah blah...

Submitted by Aubrey Daniels a Racer from Atlanta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2003

Strengths:    I guess it's strong... it hasn't bent or anything.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't hold your seat at one angle.

Bottom Line:
I have to alter my seat angle pretty often. It doesn't happen all of a sudden, it just gradually moves the back of the seat down. I tighten it as much as I can, but it just doesn't stay put.

Bike Setup:   Specialized stumpjumper pro

Submitted by Raymond a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Strengths:    classic look
has never caused me any worries
single bolt post

Weaknesses:    logos rubbed off

Bottom Line:
This post has worked fine for me. Have used it for two+ years with no seat slippage or anything.

Submitted by et a Weekend Warrior from israel

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Strengths:    Strong
Holds the seat in place
Simple one piece design

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest
Not very adjustable

Bottom Line:
Came stock with my bike , like everyone else here.I have used this seatpost for the last 5 years with no problems at all. I read all the reviews here and wonder if it really is the same product we are talking about. For me it does the job perfectly.

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper M2

Submitted by Ian (in London) a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2003

Strengths:    Fills a 30.9mm hole (great idea!!) in the frame, bent so easily when I landed on it that my nuts took less of a pounding than one might expect. Marginal improvement over standing up all day.

Weaknesses:    Weight, strength, noise (christ this thing creaks), bolt design, lack of adjustment, doesn't hold the tilt angle, graphics, made by Kalloy.

Bottom Line:
This post holds the seat. Long enough for you to buy the bike. Cheaper to buy the FSR with bits rather than just the frame. And you get some XT mechs, bits, etc thrown in.

And you get this seatpost. Which is awful. Slips, creaks, but at least it bent so easily that it saved my nuts!

Purchased At:   stock on the FSR XC like everyone else.....no one bought one, right?!

Similar Products Used:   Numerous. They are seat posts. They do nothing. I have never ever replaced one before. What the hell can go wrong with a seatpost? It's a stick and a bolt!!

Bike Setup:   FSR XC Pro, BETD, FOX Vanilla, XTR/FSA/King bits. Nice generally. Still has (as it's a 30.9mm and they are a bit thin on the ground over here) this damn post, until I find a Thompson.

Submitted by Nick Berry a Cross Country Rider from Northville, Mi, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    NONE!!

Weaknesses:    Clamp Slips, I think smooth layback design is a bad idea.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike trought my work in the spring of 2002 and the seatpost came on it, I didn't really like it after my first couple of rides it started squeking and I tightened it up, i was rideing to a trail near my house and dropped down a 6" curb and my seat popped back

Favorite Trail:   Pottowanami

Purchased At:   With My 01SJ FSRxc Comp From T+C Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None this bad

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock 2001 Specialized StumoJumper FSRxc Comp, changed tires to Hutch Mosqitoes, then Spec. Master and Control. Specialized Master and Control tires work GREAT!

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Walpole, Ma USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Clamp bolt doesn't hold the tilt angle.

Bottom Line:
I built this bike from scratch and the seat post came with the frame. I rode the bike once and everything was fine. On the second ride, the seat suddenly was pointing up at a very uncomfortable angle. I reset the angle 3 more times during the ride. The only way to keep the seat from slipping is to torque the bolt using "military torque" (As tight as you can get it plus three quarters of a turn). After "tourquing" on the bolt, the seat no longer slips. I just ordered another seatpost (a Syncros) because it has a 2 bolt seat clamp/micro-adjust.

Save your money, buy a different post, and if it came with your bike, see if your LBS can swap it for you.

If I could give it 0 flaming chilies, I would.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Similar Products Used:   Titec

Bike Setup:   Craftworks FRM125, Marzocchi Z1CR @ 5", Race Face BB, Truvativ Stylo team cranks (22,32, bash ring), XTR rear, LX front, XT Disk Hubs, Magura Louise 6" Disks.

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Denmark

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Strengths:    None!

Weaknesses:    It takes forever to adjust saddle tilt and when you are done the saddle will only hold it's position until you hit the first obstacle. I've bent mine to the shape of a banana. It's the 30.9 version!!!

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it. You can get a much better seatpost for a little more money.

Similar Products Used:   Syncros

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro

Submitted by Hilary a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2002

Strengths:    Looks cool. Ummm. . . Hasn't broken. . . Ummm

Weaknesses:    Just will not hold it's position.

Bottom Line:
The only reason I haven't replaced it yet is that I don't have the dough yet. The silly curved top just won't stay put. My anatomy is displeased about this. Simple job, really, holding up a saddle. . .

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on :)

Similar Products Used:   several

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper Pro, XT/XTR, X-fly 80

Submitted by Adam D a Cross Country Rider from Portland

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    It holds it's position for about half of a ride

Weaknesses:    Creak, creak, creak, and the seat is in a different position at the end if a ride

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money, spend a few more dollars and get a quality seatpost that actually holds position.

Similar Products Used:   Many

Submitted by vince a Weekend Warrior from robbinsville nj

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2002

Strengths:    I've used this since getting my bike new and havent had any problems yet

Weaknesses:    so far none

Bottom Line:
So far it seems to be OK I ride hard but dont do many drops or jumps but I do weigh @ 190#

Purchased At:   came with my FSR XC

Similar Products Used:   stock crap

Bike Setup:   Spec FSR XC

Submitted by W L a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Strengths:    works - holds the saddle in position.

Weaknesses:    Not a 'cool' brand.

Bottom Line:
Well I don't know what you people do with xc bikes. I am not light and I ride rough trails badly so the seatpost gets battered and it just sits there, not moving. I've just cut a chunk off so I can get it lower on the dowmhills so I'll let you know if I end up eating these words.

Favorite Trail:   glentress

Bike Setup:   fsr xc

Submitted by Alec a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2001

Strengths:    er..it's shiny?

Weaknesses:    difficult to level and tighten, can't hold its freakin' position

Bottom Line:
some toerag SOB stole the seatpost and saddle that came with my bike last week, so I had to get a replacement

the guy at evans said this was a good post, so i trusted him, and hey, it's not expensive

this post is an utter POS, and man, on my first two rides, at the slightest roadbump, the seat clamp jumps up and BOSH! i start singing with a high-pitched voice

so i waste 10 minutes trying to level the damned thing again - almost impossible to get precise btw - and I tighten the bolt as hard as I can and get back on - OK for a few minutes, then, hit a slight bump, then BOSH! the saddle's moving again!! aaargh!

look, i'm just a commuter, not some hardcore MTB psycho, but this stick is only good for one thing - ramming up the jacksie of the lowdown crack addict who stole my seatpost in the first place

AVOID THIS POST LIKE THE PLAGUE

Favorite Trail:   heading home after work

Purchased At:   www.evanscycles.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   post moderne cheapo suspension post, specialized alloy cheapo post

Bike Setup:   specialized crossroads a1

Specialized 2012 Stumpjumper carbon expert 29er vs new models

I have the 2012 and was wondering has there been any real changes that would convince me to buy a 2014 0r 2015. My bike is still in great shapeRead More »

Help choose? 2014 Carbon 29rs: Stumpy FSR EVO or Enduro-Expert

oops, just read "selection assistance please" ... pretty similar thread. sorry. ( title wasn't clear ). Basically same exact parts list according to Specialized. Basically same price on 2014 closeouts. I'm really an XC guy that likes to ride a squishy bike for comfort - because I like to ... Read More »

Where to buy closeout 2014 Specialized Camber Expert Carbon EVO in LA area

Which dealer is likely to have closeout specials on this bike? I'm looking for a size small. Also, which dealer is likely to be willing to bargain to substantially reduce the price? Thanks! MarkRead More »

2014 Specialized Carbon Expert HT

Does anyone know the thread size of the open threads on the downtube?Read More »

Specialized Epic Expert WC or Elite WC? (2015MY)

Hello everyone. I have a question) I want to buy a new speсsialized epic. Tried it for a test drive (expert WC) and it changed my view of the ride. Now I have specialized stumpjumper comp. I love racing and marathons, and just ride for fun. Prompt whether to overpay for Expert or Elite will be ... Read More »