Race Face XY Seatpost

4.06/5 (120 Reviews)

RaceFace XY

Submitted by smilinsteve a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
Too bad Race face stopped making this one, because it is the coolest looking, most easily adjustable post ever. I've had mine for probably 10 years and it is still going strong. Bought it from the one of a kind coolest bike shop owner dude Todd at ABE in Tucson AZ (Rest in Peace).

Purchased At:   AZ bike experts

Submitted by AK47 a Cross Country Rider from Folsom, CA

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2008

Strengths:    Good looks, adjustability

Weaknesses:    Clicking, clicking, and more clicking sounds when riding over terrain with bumps. Oh yeah, mountain biking.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the RaceFace Deus seatpost. I am putting the review here since MTBR doesn't friggen have one for it specifically. What's up with that MTBR?!?! Anyway... Nice looking and adjustable post, but I'm throwing it in the junk pile because it will not stop making a clicking/popping noise after multiple attempts to grease the bolts, threads, basically anything that moves on this post. I'm going back to a Thompson Elite setback post and getting rid of the RaceFace POS. Wish I could keep it as it looks nice paired with the RaceFace Deus stem. Go back and do your damn homework RaceFace you
$@$&**&$%^$^$#$#!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Bullards Bar

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Thompson Elite

Bike Setup:   Niner MCR 9 with some nice parts draped on her

Submitted by Zell a Downhiller from Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    Hey, I mean it works. It's a seatpost :p I haven't had any slippage problems or my seat flipping up on me or anything.

Weaknesses:    It bent. I don't know how, but it is slightly bent. I don't think this happens often, though. I must have taken a nasty spill to do that. I noticed that it was like almost impossible to get the post in and out of my bike; finally realized it was ever-so-slightly bent. I ordered another one to prevent ovalization of my frame.

Bottom Line:
It was cheap and it works. If my new one bends on me again then I won't buy another.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Submitted by Chris Gough a Cross Country Rider from Nottingham

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2006

Strengths:    Adjustability, light, beautiful

Weaknesses:    anodising wears off after about 1 year

Bottom Line:
Excellent seatpost.
Had it for 2 and a half years, set it up and haven't thought about it since.
Great for hardcore XC.
Nice and light.
Very well engineered and beutifully CNC'd head piece. Never slipped. Maintenance free. Fit and forget!
If you find one - buy it.

Purchased At:   sshockwave

Similar Products Used:   Titec

Bike Setup:   Superlight, XT, Rebas

Submitted by matt a Downhiller from toronto

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2006

Strengths:    It hasn't broke, nicely machined, looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Not very well thought out design. I expected more from raceface.

Bottom Line:
Thi seatpost is terrible. I don't know how these people can say it doesn't move. Mine is constantly flipping up – No matter how tight. The fore and aft adjustment is also very bad. I use a titec beserker saddle and in order to install the seat, I need to pry up the side of my seat to access the bolt.

This is my first raceface product. I'll have to think twice about buying from them... very dissapointed

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   thompson, bontrager, others

Bike Setup:   Norco Tactic

Submitted by Hitman a Weekend Warrior from WA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    Doesn't move at all...doesn't let the seat move either...incredible adjustability

Weaknesses:    none really (possibly price)

Bottom Line:
Quite possibly the best all around seatpost on the market. If you can find one for less than $40...swoop it up and you won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Came with frame

Similar Products Used:   Titec, Shimano

Bike Setup:   03 RM Edge All components upgraded

Submitted by LUKE a Downhiller from ENGLAND

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2005

Strengths:    LIGHT,STRONG,INFINATE ADJUSTABILITY,LOOKS COOL

Weaknesses:    ANODISING WEARS AWAY TOO EASILY

Bottom Line:
WOW! I AM REALLY SHOCKED AT SOME OF THE BAD REVIEWS THIS PRODUCT HAS RECIEVED,I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS APART FRON IT LOOKING WORN TOO EASILY,I LOVE IT.

Favorite Trail:   HIP TURN

Purchased At:    LEISURELAKES

Similar Products Used:   SYNCROS DERIVED,KALLOY KONA BRANDED

Bike Setup:   04 NORCO TORRENT,FOX VANILLA RLCS,SAINT BRAKES,24IN WHEELS

Submitted by CJ a Weekend Warrior from OC, SoCal

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2005

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    It friggin broke!

Bottom Line:
I used this post for about a year and a half and have had very few problems. Some slippage but, other than that, it didn't seem to be too bad; that is until the bolt shattered on a semi-steep, rocky decent thus causing my saddle to jump up and slap me in the junk! I understand that certain things break down over time but, a stinking year and a half for a bolt that should be one of - if not the - strongest componed in the entire construction of this particular component.

Unless you really don't want kids and enjoy the challenge of riding your bike back to the trailhead sans seat (in my case, about two miles), I would recommend you avoid this piece of crap like the plague.

Since this product failed me, it gets one flaming doodie for both value and performance (i.e. there's not a lot value in something that absolutely does not work).

Purchased At:   I don't remember

Bike Setup:   '04 Stumpy Pro frame, loaded with my own special blend of components.

Submitted by James Hearn a Weekend Warrior from Cumbria, UK

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2004

Strengths:    i have the XYOinfinate adjustability, very srtong post, and lightweight too (similar weight to thompson elite post). Usefull heights markings.
Looks the dogs danglers

Weaknesses:    Clamp bolt got rounded off the first time i properly tightened it up, yet only once (the first time cos i didn't do it up tight enough) has the thing slid round.

Bottom Line:
Well i got mine for £15 UK pounds and that was unused in box from an injured world class DH'er. If i had bought it new it would have been £70 or $110 to you americans. But proably worth it.
I have read a lot of people having problems with it sliding round in the collar device, the original bolt is crap, mine rounded off before snapping or stripping any threads. I only tightened it with a topeak hummer multitool too (so i wasn;t using a bit of 'ole piping over a l shaped allen key like many have done).
It does flex a bit under riding (27.2mm post) but then so did the thompson and easton.
I am giving this 5chillis for its design and method (if you replace the clamp bolt right away)
and 5chillis for value cos i got it new for £15 / $20 ha ha ha

Purchased At:   Used (yet still in box due to injury) from Fionn Griffiths world DH rider

Similar Products Used:   thompson elite, USE alien, Easton EA50, truvavtiv something or other, raceface prodigy DH.

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky DeeLux '01, Jr T's '02, Hope M4's, bulbs on d321's, vanilla RC, race face evolve DH cranks, and odd bits that have servived from complete finishing kits inc this post (no notches to strip).

Submitted by gary from sisters, or, usa

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2004

Strengths:    Easy to adjust. Can remove seat w/o readjusting seat angle.

Weaknesses:    For posters below whose seat angle changed. Mine did also. My bolt snapped too(weak bolt and theads on bolt were poorly machined).

Bottom Line:
This can be a great seatpost, but I had to modify it as my seat tilted nose up too. Unless Raceface has fixed it, 1st, go to hardware store and buy a stainless steel seat angle clamp bolt. Hardware stores also carry the stainless steel round thingy that this bolt screws through. It's in the furniture dept. area. You can then use 11-12lbs torque to tighten down bolt which holds seat angle. 10lbs won't do it. After that, no more worries.

Favorite Trail:   petersen ridge

Purchased At:   Traded Thompson for it

Similar Products Used:   Thompson(nice)but wanted lay back post.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2004

Strengths:    effective and durable

Weaknesses:    n/a

Bottom Line:
This is the first post I've used that hasn't broken in mere weeks. Stripped ratchets and broken bolts were a regular occurance on everything else. I ride on the shore all the time and completed the TransRockies with this sucker and it just performs. Set it and go. (If you're heavy this may not apply.. I'm 160 lbs.)

Favorite Trail:   lots

Purchased At:   $79 CDN

Similar Products Used:   rmb, kalloy

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by Cliff a Cross Country Rider from Vegas

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2004

Strengths:    Strong overall, lots of adjustment

Weaknesses:    Seat angle adjustment won't hold in more challenging XC conditions - ravine G outs, smaller XC drops with a 185 lb rider, price

Bottom Line:
I really like this post and RaceFace products in general but finally giving up on the factory angle adjust holding clamp - seat angle rotates noseup riding on rougher XC trails with the seat positioned anywhere from mid-rail or farther back (forward on the rails). Want to keep the post so I'm going to try a little stronger clamp bolt setup; and if that doesn't work - get the angle where I want it for the Dakar, drill a couple of small holes, coat everything with red Loctite, assemble, torque, and pop rivet to help the clamp hold the angle. For XC use, even rougher XC, I think the post is plenty strong and worth a little time and effort to "clamp fix" and drive the RF boys to drink more coffee and get their CAD programs booted up.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but the post and their XY 0, should really work OK for this type of riding. I tried cleaning, roughing up surfaces, retorquing but just can't get the clamping to hold with my weight and leverage on the saddle.

Could be that I'm into the post design realm of all mountain or light freestyle even though riding desert XC? Anyway, if you're riding smoother XC stuff and want a setback post; are a lightweight rider, and/or don't also need the saddle way back, I think you'll like it. Worked good for me under those conditions. If you're not in a hurry, you can probably find a new one at a better price than suggested retail - Not a good value at $70 for 6061/air alloy post and this clamp design.

If I had it to do over, I'd check out other posts including the RaceFace Evolve or figure the extra weight of the Diabolus (freeride design/double clamp bolts)is worth it to try to get a no problem setback post for rough XC.

Favorite Trail:   1 track

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   many, including other RF, except the titanium and carbon types. Yep, I have a RF XY 0 on another bike and it has the same problem as this one. Bothe posts were bought new.

Bike Setup:   Currently on a Dakar, built up with good components, Bontrager saddle (Ti Night Train)

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Victoria

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2004

Strengths:    Unique design that works well. The ability to alter the setup in the X and Y plane independantly is a little over-rated but cool nevertheless.

Bottom Line:
An excellent seatpost that has served me very well for over two years now. I had it originally on my cross-cuntry bike and then switched it over to my Cove Stiffee. Although it never bent on me, the saddle ended up quite mangled over time and this obviously took its toll on the seatpost head. One morning after starting up the incline of my driveway on the way to a ride the clamp mechanism broke right along the line of a stress fracture. I decided to buy a new post as this one was obviously done however the shop I took it to called RF to enquire whether this would qualify as a warranty item since the post had not been bent at all. RF approved the warranty claim OVER THE PHONE! Although they wanted to see it they agreed to ship a replacement post once my broken one arrived at their place. I asked instead for the heavy duty Diabolus post and they obliged. I am impressed and will continue to buy RF components because I know they will stand behind their product. A similar experience with my Roach Armour (Roach owned by RF) being replaced under warranty for bad stitching has convinced me that RF is the real deal. You can buy this post and use it, not baby it and rest assured it will not fail catastrophically or leave you with an expensive bill for a new post down the road. I have had plenty of parts fail and I ususally chalk it up to the price of riding mountain bikes. This was a pleasant surprise. Five smokin' turds!

Favorite Trail:   Broom Hill

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, Ritchey, Syncros, Axiom, Kalloy

Bike Setup:   A RF Diabolus now

Submitted by Toshi Clark a Downhiller from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2004

Strengths:    Looks decent. Accepts thick railed seats.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work: clamp rotates much too easily even when tightened down.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this post! I bought it because I thought it would be a good complement to my Canfield, with its oddly angled seat tube, but it has turned out to be a huge disappointment. Every time I sit on the back of the seat the post's clamping mechanism lets the seat swivel up to point at the sky. For this price I should definitely have bought a Thomson with the 12 degree kit. Furthermore, now that it is used, Cambria says I'm out of luck even though the post is useless for its intended purpose.

Favorite Trail:   Post Canyon, GP