Race Face Evolve Seatpost Seatpost

2.36/5 (11 Reviews)

Designed to be an all around performance seat post, the Evolve is suitable for cross-country or downhill use.

Submitted by tpparker a Cross Country Rider from Dgo, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Strengths:    It looks ok...

Weaknesses:    Works as if it was designed to break.

Bottom Line:
Within a season of riding I've had the bolt securing the seat snap on three different occasions. The first two were AL and held up the worst, maybe a month or so of riding respectively. The last, an iron composite lasted a bit longer. Bottom line: it's junk, save your self the trouble and get a Tomson.

Favorite Trail:   CO

Similar Products Used:   Titec, Tomson

Bike Setup:   '06 Santa Cruz Nomad: Deemax, Zocchi FR 1, DHX, Avid Codes, SLX Crankset, etc...

Submitted by L'il Matt a Weekend Warrior from South Australia

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2008

Strengths:    Weight, cost, length.

Weaknesses:    Snapping clamp bolts...might have the answer for this (see "The Bottom Line"

Bottom Line:
I purchased this post online before looking at the MTBR reviews...and then was somewhat concerned at the loose saddle & snapping bolt problems. With that in mind (and finding a small amount of movement in the clamp with the bolt tightened up)I looked farther. I believe the problem lies in the length of the clamp bolt - it's too long. As the top half of the clamp has a blind hole (it's not drilled right through so as not to foul the fancy cast logo), the bolt is bottoming out in the thread before tightening fully on the saddle rails. Excessive tightening of the bolt to fully clamp the saddle may be stressing the bolt and leading it to fail.

So I carved 3mm (1/8") off the end of the bolt and the saddle is now nice and firm. It's early days with mine yet, but it seems to have solved the problem for me so we'll see.

Favorite Trail:   Anything local

Purchased At:   Torpedo7.com

Similar Products Used:   na

Bike Setup:   Giant Yukon SX with a few modifications...

Submitted by JP Versfeld a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    Single Clamp Bolt - undertighten = seat loosens
Overtighten = Bolt snaps
There is no in between!!!

Bottom Line:
The single bolt snapped off on two separate occasions at high speed - still don't quite know how I did not wipe out.

Crap seatpost design -

Replaced with Thompson seatpost.

Favorite Trail:   Majic Forest

Purchased At:   Giant VT2

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   Giant VT2 Stock; full XT Comps.

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    acceptable weight and looks for my kind of riding

Weaknesses:    What else, the bolt! Snapped the sucker right in half.

Bottom Line:
I just like having all the same components for my cockpit, so I went with the strong and durable Race Face Evolve XC line. Everything has held out flawlessly for my riding style and purposes other than that damn single bolt holding the seat clamp together... Just like everyone else said! What really sucks about the whole thing is that I contacted Race Face several times to get a replacement bolt. It's not that I'm cheap or lazy, in fact I went to 5 different bike shops, Home Depot, Lowes, and ACE Hardware to find a replacement bolt. Nada! Race Face insists that their bolt is NOT proprietary, but why in the hell couldn't I find a replacement anywhere? Needless to say, they would not/could not send me a replacement bolt... Hell, I would've even paid for it! Obviously, I bought a seat post from a "real" company - Thomson. Unfortunately, Race Face lost another customer... 4 chilis for value and 3 chilis overall cuz the stem and handlebars have held up well- too bad we can't rate the company itself

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park

Purchased At:   forgot

Similar Products Used:   Titec, Thomson, Easton

Bike Setup:   Giant VT custom, complete XT 760 drivetrain, Manitou Minute 1:00, Manitou Swinger 4-way, Mavic 717/XT, Avid disc, Race Face Evolve XC cockpit

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Caledonia, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

Strengths:    light weight, low price.

Weaknesses:    single bolt design

Bottom Line:
Broke the bolt on the seatpost twice in 2 weeks. I don't ride my bike really hard, some light downhill is it. I've got a bunch of Raceface gear on my wifes bike, and it performs great, but steer clear of this product.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Titec El Norte, Thompson Elite

Bike Setup:   Kona Stinky, Rock Shox Pike 454,

Submitted by Michael a Weekend Warrior from Brookfield, WI.

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2006

Strengths:    composite

Weaknesses:    Race Face Next XC Composite - Single bolt clamp SUCKS - comes loose all the time. I have always had issues with single bolt seat posts - go dual !!!

Bottom Line:
Steer clear of all single bolt seatposts. I ride races, but even on weekend rides the post comes loose on medium rides.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine

Purchased At:   with Giant Trance 1

Similar Products Used:   name them - replaced all single bolt clamp setups

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 1 - stock

Submitted by Joel a Racer from Phoenixvile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2006

Strengths:    Price, looks, maybe weight?..?

Weaknesses:    Bolts

Bottom Line:
It lasted for about 3 months then broke in the middle of a race. I konw this is not necessarily a race quality post but it is guarnteed for life so I figured it would be ok. obviousely it was not. I am not an extreme and weigh about 190. I think it should have held up to whatever. If you are looking for a good seatpost I would look some where else. The quality just isn't there.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   ritchy, rock shox, bontrager

Bike Setup:   Cannondale f600 mostly stock

Submitted by Guy Smiley a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2006

Strengths:    Looks good...for a while

Weaknesses:    clamping bolt, finish rubs off, seat rails slide back in about 30 seconds

Bottom Line:
It was good for a while, but the seat came loose on EVERY ride, and then the seat would slide back on the rails. The bolt broke once in my driveway, so I replaced it. It broke again at the trailhead another day...so I replaced it again. And when it broke a third time while riding, and my seat bag and tools scattered all over the trail. I replaced the post. It really sucks riding a few miles of cross country back to your car standing up!!! Spend the extra money and get something better!!

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   race face atlas seat post

Bike Setup:   '05 Rocky Mountain Vertex 50...stock except for tires, and a new seat post

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from A-ville

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2005

Strengths:    beefy, quality seat binder thingy

Weaknesses:    weight, anodized finish rubs off

Bottom Line:
Good price, nice and beefy, seems indestructible. A bit heavy and the anodized black comes right off. Even an under-seat bag will rub the finish off. A little disappointing because it looks so nice to start with. Good post for the price, though. Should last a long time.

Favorite Trail:   24 HOP