Race Face Diabolus Seatpost

2.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Designed by our engineers that created the globe’s first free-ride components, the Diabolus is the industry’s first freeride specific post and is designed to offer maximum adjustability & strength. Ridden by Darren Berrecloth & Paul Bas, two of the best free riders on the pro scene today so you know this post is good.

• HEAD
  • CNC machined from 6061 aluminum, the seatpost head is incredibly strong & fatigue resistant.
  • Rear twin bolt clamp disperses high impact loads more effectively than single bolt designs.
  • Unique seatpost head design provides a large range of tilt & fore/aft micro-adjustability.
  • Rail clamps feature indexed tilt notching for maximum clamping force.
  • ¾” offset.
  • TUBE
  • The seatpost tube is manufactured from bombproof 7050 aluminum.
  • Straight wall 7050 tubing provides consistently high strength throughout the length of the tube allowing you to clamp the post down at any height.
  • Shot peening further improves fatigue life.
  • Height lines & weight savings cut off lines are laser etched on the tube.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by GoremanX a Cross Country Rider from Williston, VT

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2011

Strengths:    Looks beefy

Weaknesses:    Is not beefy

Bottom Line:
    I went through 3 of these. Each time, I was told by Race Face I must have a defective one, and each time, the warranty replacement also failed. I've given up, I'm never using this seatpost again.

The first one I got wouldn't hold the saddle in place, I'd have to re-adjust it after every ride. The saddle would just slowly slide backwards until it was too far. Eventually, from repeated loosening/tightening (always with a torque wrench), the blocks that clamp to the saddle rails got bent out of shape and the saddle sat crooked on the seatpost. This took about 6 months.

The second one I got held tightly, but the blocks that clamp the saddle rails also got bent out of shape and caused the saddle to lean sideways after a while. This also lasted about 6 months.

The third one lasted almost a year before the blocks started bending again, but I wasn't riding that winter so there was actually less than 6 months of riding involved.

On the upside, Race Face was always great about replacing it under warranty (through my LBS), so no complaints there, they have great service. This seatpost is just a big dud. Don't go near it. It's no surprise they dropped it from their lineup 2 years ago.

Favorite Trail:   Indian Brook Reservoir, Essex, VT

Purchased At:   Bikeman.com

Similar Products Used:   Thud Buster LT, generic Kona, generic others

Bike Setup:   '08 Kona Hoss, WTB Laser V saddle

Submitted by ProVictim a Weekend Warrior from Courtenay, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2009

Strengths:    Very strong beefy design, sweet graphics (too bad you don't see more of it when on a bike) very fine tilt adjust.

Weaknesses:    To set it up properly you really need a torque wrench. You really need to crank down on the clamps (with a torque wrench) to keep the micro-adjustable teeth from slipping when the seat takes a hit. Kinda pricey if you don't find it on sale. Maybe weight? But c'mon, it's a DH post built for thumpin....not spinning.

Bottom Line:
    I just purchased my second Race Face Diabolus seat post. If that doesn't speak to my confidence in this product, what would? I'm a heavy rider who makes up for skill with brute force and just plain stubborness. I'm hard on things, especially seats and seat posts. This post will not let you down IF it's torqued down to specs. If not, I will say it could slip and round off some micro teeth. It happened to me once until I torqued it down properly and I haven't had any issues since. I'm giving it 4 chili's for value as I feel it could be a little cheaper (especially if you buy it in Canada ) However, 5 Chili's for over all performance. Just set it and forget it!

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm currently on

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Truvative (Junk), Kalloy (low priced junk)

Bike Setup:   1st bike dirtjumper / 2nd All Mountain

Submitted by Me a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2009

Strengths:    Solid design, strong construction, nice clamp design & the paint job looks very cool!

Weaknesses:    RF prodects don't use the best paint & they typically chip & rub out easily from use. Heavy, but it's a FR post. It's being used on a mountain bike, so no biggie.

Bottom Line:
    The top cap of my OEM Race Face Deus XC broke when I landed a jump on the back of the saddle. The 'patent pending design' is not the best due to the 2 piece design. Where the clamp meets the tube sems to be bonded.

The Diablus seems to be a better design. It was easy to install & the microajust works well. You don't have to remove the clamp to ajust like the other guy says, just loosen the bolts & move the clamp through the notches. I got it dialled in in 5 mins & am happy with my new post. Buy this if you're budget concious, otherwise get the Thompson or Joplin. Good for AM/ FR/ DH. Too heavy for serious XC.

Favorite Trail:   Tunnels

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager King/ Big Earl, Race Fave Evolve, Deus XC, Titus Scoper.

Bike Setup:   '06 Giant Reign. Stock plus various recent upgrades & mods. '06/ '07 Trek Session 10, stock plus recent upgrades.

Submitted by SantaCruzzer a Downhiller from Germany

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Strengths:    nice decals, high reputation

Weaknesses:    weak backside (can be bent while mounting), clamp has to be opened completely to change the angle of the saddle, the plates that hold the rails of the saddle are getting worn quickly, high price!

Bottom Line:
    after one week of use I wanted to mount another saddle. I have done the mounting and adjustment of the angle twice before without problems. The backside of the post was getting bent while tightening the two clamp bolts with the torque value shown in the manual, after all steps shown in there have been done the right way.
    the dealer had sent the seatpost to the german distributor, they decided to not replacing the product because it was not mounted correct???, also no discount was given, neither by the distributor, nor by the dealer, he charged me 132$ for a new Shannon Hardcore seatpost.
    Now I have switched to another dealer and seatpost (Thomson
    Elite), that I can really recommend.

Purchased At:   RADWEG, Neu-Ulm, Ger