Onza Pro Seatpost Seatpost

Onza Pro Seatpost

Submitted by 24elsinore a Racer from Logan UT

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    Clean design, intuitive operation, unique

Weaknesses:    hard to find

Bottom Line:
Great simple seatpost. The lack of need for tools when adjusting the seatpost is a really nice touch to not have to reach for an allen key if you need to adjust it on the trail.

Interesting news, too, if anyone is looking for more of these posts - the inventor of the design owns a bikeshop in Northern UT. Give him a holler if you'd like to find yourself one of these beauts.

Jeff Keller

Similar Products Used:   thompson, truvativ, campagnolo

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Chameleon, singlespeed w/ revelation

Submitted by Russell a Cross Country Rider from Cedar City, Utah

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    Adjusts without tools. Light weight. No offset. Subscribes to the KISS theory, Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Weaknesses:    No offset, impossible with design.

Bottom Line:
I have used this post for 5 years. I weigh 200+ lbs, and I have 12 inches of exposed seat post with a slack post angle (approaching a beam instead of a post) Some posts won't allow me to adjust my seat to the angle I need for my bike. The clamp has never loosened on me and only a couple of time has my seat been knocked out of alignment (in axis with the wheels, not the angle). I like to slide my seat forward for long climbs and all it takes is 180 degree turn of the seat (smack it counterclockwise on the nose) and the seat slides, without loosening the angle adjustment (that needs an additional 180 degree rotation). The seat adjusts in 4 degree increments, and if you rotate the jamb washer 180 degrees, you can shift the angle range 2 degrees. The post is now being sold by the original designer who can be reached at: jeffk@sunrisecyclery.net

Purchased At:   Sunrise Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy

Bike Setup:   Klein Mantra Comp

Submitted by Michael Chung a Weekend Warrior from San Gabriel CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to adjust (tooless), light, strong enough for my fat ass with easton tube for post

Weaknesses:    Lack of microadjustability for seat angle (has the common ribbed adjustment)

Bottom Line:
I am not sure what if any improvments Onza has made to this post. The one I have is made of Easton EA70 tubing, still has the twist on mount for the seat and has Onza logos screened on (no stickers).

I started riding weighin in at 265 and am now 250 and hopfully still dropping. I have had no problems with either strength, or any adjustments slipping. It doesn't seem to flex...BTW,if any aluminum post flexes 30+ dgrees, it seems it would most likely buckle...Anyways, I tighten the head and it stays put and my seat angles has yet to slip or rotate on me.

The only thing I wish it had was a finer seat angle adjustment capability...but that may not be an issue to some...I just happen to fall between notches.

I got this as a courtesy replacemtn from LBS so I got a really good price considering its construction...

I give value a consevative 4 because I hear the retail is up there but I give the overall a 5 because it has performed almost flawlessly for me...

Purchased At:   La Habra Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy, Suntour XC

Bike Setup:   Fisher Tassahara w/LX cranks, xt fr/r der, bontrager pedals and stem, easton ea70 flat bar, lx shifters, tektro brakes, velocity deep v rims, mythos tires

Submitted by frost a Weekend Warrior from staten island

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2001

Strengths:    this seatpost is a work of engineering art.its light, looks good and very functional.

Weaknesses:    tricky to adjust.

Bottom Line:
I read the other reveiws on this seatpost and I can say that they are very acurate, with the exception of the two reviews that bashed the seatpost.this seatpost does not flex or creeks one bit unless your a super- heavy weight. As far as that other reviewer is concerned, why would you need a bikeshop mechanic to adjust a seatpost that you can adjust yourself completely tool free.this seatpost is the bomb.it works its not a gimmeck and it stands out of the crowd. 5 flamin' chilis to Onza. p.s. get one if yo can find one. if you can't your losing out.

Favorite Trail:   any trial I can ride on

Similar Products Used:   thompson,easton,use,kalloy,coda,use alien

Bike Setup:   cannondale cad3 xtr

Submitted by Sebastiaan Veldhuizen a Cross Country Rider from Oldenzaal, Holland

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2001

Strengths:    Absolute eyecatcher, the length (400!), the adjusting of the post, cheap, and probably a lot more then I can think of at the moment!

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever, Oh yeah, just one: You will get jealous friends with this post!

Bottom Line:
It absolutely rocks! You will never have to fiddle with nasty bolts or anything, just turn and adjust, absolutely great, Onza Rules!

Favorite Trail:   Lemelerveld

Purchased At:   Ten Tusscher

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy, Promax

Bike Setup:   Giant MCM, Rond/Magura Quake S, Flite titanium gel saddle, Michelin Wildgripper tires, Mavic 517 Citron wheels

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Leicester, UK

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Strengths:    It's light... unconventional eye-catching design.

Weaknesses:    shame the unconvention eye-catching design doesn't work.
creeks like my old knees do.

Bottom Line:
It looks really good.. Clever design.
But the bugger creeks.. really annoying! I have to get out of the seat just to retrieve my sanity.
Don't buy this product..

oh and it has a scary amount of flex in it.. probably as much as 30 degrees... like a bleedin' ski pole!

Purchased At:   websters

Similar Products Used:   selcof inline (don't ask!) kore

Bike Setup:   Marin Mount Vision, XT and other goodies

Submitted by piejay a Racer from Zoeterwoude, Netherlands

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1999

Strengths:
light
strenght
no clamps
looks
different design

Weaknesses:
not so easy to adjust

Bottom Line:
Once set up right and tightend well (not over over-tighten it: it's alu!), it's the best you can get. I ride in the worst of conditions (wet, wet, wet and mud) and till now not a scratch, rust or loosening. This Easton tubing also absorbs a lot of banging too.
I think it's a brilliant design; five from me!

6 months

kalloy
selcof
syncross
roox

C'dale, headshok, magura, XTR

Submitted by Jamie a cross-country rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: September 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

So I borrow this Serotta from work and as I'm leaving with it one of the mechanics says, Hey let me tighten down that post for you. See this bike had a Onza sh*tpost. The kind were you twist the clamp to tighten it, smart, real smart. So I ride home (one block) and by the time I get the the seat is pointing towards the heavens. Now I had just witnessed the mechanic torqueing the piss out of the saddle not 5 minutes ago... Well this is the reason to own a mallet. I bash on the top of the saddle until level and return said bike saying, Uhh, the seat slipped so I re-adjusted it.... oh and it seems stripped. Gee, don't you just love demos? This post BLOWS, spend your money on good product: Syncros.

Submitted by ricky d. a cross-country rider from college park, md

Date Reviewed: April 21, 1997

Bottom Line:

I also bought this seatpost for my Giant ATX-890 frame and am very impressed with it. It SEEMS like it is durable, but I'll tell you a year from now if that is fully justified. For the last two months with some crashes, and many miles, It has held up well. Very easy to use and set up without tools and it looks neat without all those screws sticking out everywhere like all the other seatposts. It doesn't bother me, but the stickers scratch off fairly easily; they're the kinds they dip in water and put on model airplanes. Also, if you scratch off the stickers completely, guess what you'll see? NADS with their checkerboard logo silkscreened on it, and it is hard to scratch off.

Submitted by Chris Weber a cross-country rider from VT USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1997

Bottom Line:

Onza bought this design from NADS and has been producing them for a few months now. I got one for my Giant ATX 890 because they make it in a 30.8mm size (RARE) I got it for $50 and love it. Just screw the head and the saddle is tight. ONZA makes 2 model the Lite and Pro, the only difference is the length. The Pro is 400mm (SUPA DUPA)and weighs 260grams. The only negatives are striping the seatpost threads (Hasn't happened yet I'm just scared) and there is no offset in the post like the Kalloys or Control Techs have, so it'll throw off the fit of an already set up bike. But that's no biggie.

Full Carbon Saddle with KCNC Ti pro Lite-8000 seatpost...

I bought a full carbon saddle(110grams) earlier and would like to mate it to my KCNC Ti Pro Lite-8000 seatpost but the KCNC clamping system is not carbon rail friendly. I think I need a carbon cradle or something. Any suggestions ??? Where I can get one ? My weight is 140LBs. Thanks..... ... Read More »

Easton EC90 carbon seatpost or KCNC Pro-Lite 8000 seatpost....Prices are similar. Whi

I need to buy a new seatpost for my 29er. The two finalist are Easton and KCNC. I'm 135LBs and do regular trail run. No jumping. Which one should I get ? I did some digging and found that peoples are complaining regarding the clamp in the EC90 and carbon post are more troublesome. KCNC is light ... Read More »

XLC PRO SP-T04 Telescopic seatpost

After popping the top of my Race Face Turbine seatpost and replacing it with a spare Turbine that also made me nervous. I decided to look into adjustable seatposts, I settled on the XLC mainly based on price $146 American from XXCycle. Though I was skeptical I took the chance because the 100mm KS LE ... Read More »

Paid Spam: Parting out Litespeed Ti w/ Ritchey Logic fork, xc pro, & ti stem/seatpost

Here's the link: [url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=77600&title=parting-out-litespeed-titanium-2c-xc-pro-2c-ritchey-logic-fork-2c-misc&cat=40]Parting out Litespeed Titanium, XC Pro, Ritchey Logic fork, misc - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] Aw ... Read More »

Drop Remote Seatpost for my HiFi Pro?

Hi guys, The most recent "Mountain Bike Action" issue has peeked my interest in buying a drop seatpost for my 2011 HiFi Pro. I know very little about these things. I was wondering if any of you could shoot a few recommendations my way on a drop seatpost that is good quality, but at the same ... Read More »