Niner Bikes RDO Carbon Seatpost

It will only take one ride on a Niner RDO Carbon Seatpost for you to feel the difference. Whether your ride a hardtail or a full-suspension bike, you'll notice less fatigue at the end of that ride thanks to what Niner calls the 'unstiff' carbon layup. Niner states that its monocoque design deflects up to twice as much as other leading carbon posts; in fact, it'll deflect 8.2mm under a 50kg load. For comparison's sake, Niner's standard-issue carbon posts deflects 6.3mm under the same load.Unlike other posts that use bonding to join disparate materials, the RDO (Race Day Optimized) post is molded into a single, structurally superior shaft. Niner varies wall thickness and the carbon weave to offer the strength needed, but tunes it to flex so as to allow the post to dampen fatiguing buzz. A simple-to-adjust, two-bolt clamp ensures you'll quickly dial in the perfect saddle position, and it features an alloy head for durability.The Niner RDO Carbon Seatpost is a zero-offset post and comes in 27.2, 30.9, and 31.6mm diameters. The 30.9 post is 370mm long, while the 27.2 and 31.6 posts are 400mm. The post comes with graphics that complement Niner's frames; Green, Moondust, Tangerine, and Red.

Submitted by shiftless89 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2014

Strengths:    strong, light color options sturdy clamp

Weaknesses:    little high on costs

Bottom Line:
My current ride is an A9C in large, 6'2" and 220lb rider. I was running a Layback Control tech carbon Mpost and for safety's sake decided to retire it after 3+ years. I ponied up the cash for a Straight RDO post. I was very pleasantly surprised at the difference a seat post could make. The more upright posture VS the layback had me climbing hills without the front wheel coming up and by the end of a 32km rough off road ride I was far less fatigued than normal. I am no stranger to buying high end components. At $200 its on the high side of non dropper posts, but to be honest I have already ordered another for my other bike, I was that impressed.

Purchased At:   Dream Riders Seoul K

Similar Products Used:   Control Tech Mpost, Thompson elite, Easton ECA90

Bike Setup:   Air9Carbon Niner, large, Full XTR, Sid RCTL3, Mavic Crossmax ST

Submitted by trevrev97 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2014

Strengths:    Good looking, just the right amount of compliance, holds saddle well without creaks and squeeks.

Weaknesses:    Price is just a bit high to me, but still worth it

Bottom Line:
I have this post on my 2013 SIR9 SS, I rode the Pisgah Stage race on it and is was almost like having a SUPER small travel suspension seat post. Great post

Submitted by TiGeo a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2013

Strengths:    Definitely soaks up trail chatter on my hardtail 29er. Lightweight. Looks great.

Weaknesses:    Ain't cheap.

Bottom Line:
I bought this to help my back/body so that I can continue to enjoy my aluminum HT..it worked. You can see/feel the flex fore/aft, but its not un-nerving. Just seems to deaden the vibrations/hits so that I can stay in the saddle a bit more over roots etc.

Favorite Trail:   JRPS

Duration Product Used:   1 mos.

Purchased At:   Olde Towne Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Stocker.

Bike Setup:   '12 Specy Stumpy EVO HT 29er

Submitted by JC a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2012

Strengths:    Really soaks up trail chatter... Makes a significant difference on my hard tail 29er; my back thanks it for it on every ride. Also aesthetically, this post is a 10. One of the nicest unidirectional carbon layups I've seen. No slippage.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. But for hard tails, worth it.

Bottom Line:
Niner advertises this post as having an 'unstiff' layup with a much greater deflection than most post, and it is absolutely noticeable. You can see the flex when you install it. It really transformed by Niner Air 9 Carbon's ride... I had previously a Thomson Masterpiece post in the frame, and the difference ride-feel between the two is night and day.

It isn't the bad kind of 'flexy' either -- no impact on the power transfer, as the lateral stiffness of the frame is not impacted at all.

That said, you would not need this post UNLESS you were riding hard tail. And if your frame is already compliant on the trails, it might be overkill. That said, if you are riding a stiff XC race oriented carbon or aluminum frame, this post could totally be the back-saver that revives your joy of your bike.

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks.

Purchased At:   treefortbikes

Similar Products Used:   Thomson elite, masterpiece. Loaded. 3T stuff.

Bike Setup:   Niner Air 9 Carbon, Shimano XT/XTR, American Classic wheelset.

Submitted by GP Niner

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    weight, strength, flex

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
This is really one of the best carbon seat post expecially for a rigid bike. I ride a rigid ss and the RDO carbon gives you a flex that gives you the extra cushion you need on a rigid bike. A+ in my book

Niner RDO carbon 780 vs. RaceFace Atlas 785 alum for 907 fatbike w/clyde rider ??

In short, I am about 235 pounds and I love riding my fatbike. I was down to 225 a month ago but recently gained the weight back...aaaaghhh!!! Anyhow, I am considering upgrading my handlebars. I am currently running a KORE 800mm aluminum OCD bar with a 20mm rise and am considering a 780 Niner RDO fla ... Read More »

Niner RDO Carbon Fork $349 - only 5 units available

RDO version of the Niner carbon fork going for as low as $349 on bicycle mob. Only 5 available. Color is nude carbon. [url=http://www.bicyclemob.com/]BicycleMob.com - Today's deal[/url]Read More »

12 Jet 9 RDO vs 13 Jet 9 Carbon - buying advice!

I have narrowed my search down to a lightly used 12 Jet 9 RDO with XT components, sun ringle black flag wheels, RockShox fork with handlebar lockout in licorice black. It will come with the warranty. Or a brand new 13 Jet 9 Carbon with SLx components, American classic race wheels and fox Fork in t ... Read More »

Typo or Truth about new 780mm RDO Carbon Bar ?

So, I'm looking at the latest emailed newsletter... talking about all of the new releases/goodies... One of the things that I've been waiting for from Niner is a truly wide carbon bar. Prayers answered! BUT!!! Is it true??? In the newsletter - the advertised price of this new 780mm - RDO Bar ... Read More »

Carbon bars - Niner RDO flat top?

Also posted in the Niner forum but not much going on there... I'm looking for a wide carbon bar that is excellent at absorbing vibrations (riding rigid). Considering the Niner RDO, but some say it is quite harsh on the hands for a carbon bar. However, I see they have recently reduced the we ... Read More »