Moots laidback ti Seatpost

4.59/5 (32 Reviews)

laidback ti

Submitted by Sam

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent material.
Look nice.

Weaknesses:    Engineer fail in the angle adjustment department.
Expensive at $300us

Bottom Line:
Be warn "DO NOT BUY IT FOR MTB USE". It doesn't matter how tight the screw is my seat will always end up folding.
When I go down hill I'd shift my bum to the back and the seat would fold back. When I go up hill I'd shift my bum to the front and the seat would fold forward. When this happen in the middle of the hill, you'd feel like jack hammering the stupid thing.
Anyway I've solved the problem by bonding the material - permanently. Industrial Bonding Adhesive.

Submitted by mootster a Cross Country Rider from Santa Fe, NM

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2008

Strengths:    Layback is nice for fitting, has the nice Moots quality of craftmanship

Weaknesses:    It slips at the seat clamp, especially after you switch seats.

Bottom Line:
I have two of these posts, both on Moots YBB bikes. One of them I ended up switching seats a couple of times and it really started to slip, even after cranking the two bolts down big time, to the point of almost stripping them. Moots no longer sells this design, I believe this is why. Installation of a new seat is a bit of a pain, however, if you have snap ring pliers they help a lot for spreading open the Ti seat clamp. For the price, I would expect a better clamping mechanism -- it looks like now they have that

Favorite Trail:   Crosstown Trail, Jemez

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   carbon fiber posts.

Bike Setup:   Moots YBB 26er and a Mooto-x YBB 29er.

Submitted by Johno a Cross Country Rider from Canberra Australia

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Strengths:    Titanium compliance and that cool MOOTS sticker :)

Weaknesses:    Micro adjust is too sensitive, goes from immovable to floppy. So you end up guessing where you want to reposition your desired seat angle. I use a spirit level to see existing seat angle and go from there.

Bottom Line:
When i first built up the bike, I purchased an in-line Easton EC90 Carbon post. However I desperately needed a laidback post to fine-tune the riding position. Also, in this original setup I could not believe how harsh the ride was. Changing to the MOOTS laidback, highlighted how much 'give' this post allows even with as little as <200mm of post exposed.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   First Ti seat post. Easton Carbon, Thomson...

Bike Setup:   2007 VooDoo D-Jab Ti. Running 3x9 XTR, 09 F100RLC, Hugi 240/717/Supercomp, Avid Juicy Carbon, RF Next SL carbon bar. <23lbs

Submitted by James Hemphill a Cross Country Rider from Silver City

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2006

Strengths:    Looks cool!

Weaknesses:    It folded after tw0 months!

Bottom Line:
So I had some extra cash and threw some bling down for this post. It looked real COOL on my bike but it wasnt very cool. After a little less than two months of riding the post failed. I was sitting down peddaling over some rough and I thought 'DAMN' The bike sure soaked that up well, this seat post and bike are amazing!!! But somthing felt weird, my seating position felt strange. Stopped to look at the bike and saw that the seat post was bent. There was a nice crease in the post right above the seat coller. Bummer! So instead of dealing with moots warrenty(And NO!! I did not have the post raised too high, it was well above the burnish line on the post by about a 2 inches.) I cut the post and put it on my road bike. I had ne problems mounting my seat on this post, you just need to be calm and cool headed.

Favorite Trail:   CD NORTH

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Ringle moby post(Had for 3 years) And a Syncros that I', still on after 4 years

Bike Setup:   19 inch 1996 Moots ybb and xt xtr mix

Submitted by jh from cape

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2006

Strengths:    it's great

Weaknesses:    cost

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to post my tips on the onerous task of installing a saddle on this post. Remove the clamp bolts all the way. Install them on the top of the clamp. Insert 2 stacked nickels in the slot so when you screw in the bolts, the clamp opens. I used both bolts so i would not deform the clamp. I really needed the second nickel. Put in one half of the clamp circle things. rest the saddle rails on it, then slide in the other half. if you cannot get it to fit, you have to open the ti clamp more, so more nickels.
once you have it all in there, turn the seat pointing straight down so you can remove the bolts. before you have removed them all the way, put the seat back level, then remove the bolts the rest of the way.
took me a freakin half hour to figure that out. hope to save you some time.

Similar Products Used:   thomson

Submitted by Sam Samaha from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2006

Strengths:    It's a Moots for Gods sake! Built as good as it can get, 3/2,5 Ti, and has a great sweep back that gives the taller guy a bit more room between the saddle and the handle bar.

Weaknesses:    none at all

Bottom Line:
This is the finest seat post available for a mtb sold today.. I looked for the best and I got it.

The small additional flex of the Ti also adds to the comfort of the ride.

Favorite Trail:   Back yard

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, and Bontrager Carbon

Bike Setup:   http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum39.html

Submitted by vince a Cross Country Rider from NorCal

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2006

Strengths:    Beautiful & elegant piece of Ti. Really does soak up higher frequency bumps. Overall smoother ride that you WILL notice.

Weaknesses:    Cost.

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to deck out my workhorse with a great seatpost. And was suprised on my first ride out the difference in smoothness between my old Thomson Elite and the Laidback. Makes my already smooth riding Colonel smoother. Worth the price. Tricky rail clamp not at all difficult. Doubt I'll need another post.

Purchased At:   cambria outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Thomson Elite

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel Ti, RS Duke Race, King, Shimano XT, Thomson stem

Submitted by Drew a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, ACT, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2004

Strengths:    Soaks up bumps like a sponge, low weight, looks, bling

Weaknesses:    cost, stupid amount of time I had to wait for it to arrive, Aust Moots distributors

Bottom Line:
Even on an ultra rigid hardtail on a downhill track this thing really, truly soaks up the bumps. First time I rode uneven ground while sitting I didn't even notice I was doing it (instead of having to book a visit to the Chiro like with my old post), tried more and more uneven ground, got friends to try it out. Believe it folks! This baby *is* all it's cracked up to be. The ex Boeing guys I work with say the welds look better than mil/aerospace standard.

The sole Australian Moots distributor I made inquiries to said "we can't be bothered to stock them, go order it online" Took absolute ages for CBO to get it in stock. Now it's here I couldn't be happier.

Oh, and yes, fitting the saddle is a pain in the butt. The screwdriver method does work though.

I can't give this full rating for value as it's bloody expensive. That said, I'd spend those dollars again in a second. If you have a hardtail and want comfort, this is the place to go. Don't go gel saddle covers, Go Moots.

Favorite Trail:   Kowen XC

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   DaBomb: Post Dalux (this is like saying that a tricycle is "similar" to a Ducati)

Bike Setup:   DaBomb Molotov, Sherman Flicks, Raceface Turbines, SRAM X9 shifters, XO rear mech, XT front mech, SDG BelAir Cow, LP Composites DH, Moots Laidback, Ydopen 7&8 inch hydros, FSA XC300 wheelset for XC, Alex/Imperial wheelset for FR, Maxxis Lopes Bling Bling and Larsen exception TT's

Submitted by flea a Cross Country Rider from saint paul

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2004

Strengths:    light, takes the hits out without the suspension motions of the rockshox seatpost.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I replaced a rockshox suspension post with the moots laidback ti and also put on a Brooks saddle with ti rails.
This setup takes the hits out withut the scrunchy-ness of the rockshox suspension post. Also lost about a half pound of weight.
Very happy other than I am a cheap scrimper type.

Favorite Trail:   any singletrack

Purchased At:   beyond bikes

Bike Setup:   singlespeed bike w/sid front fork

Submitted by Bill L a Cross Country Rider from North Bend, WA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2003

Strengths:    Sweet ride characteristics, It is beautiful just to look at, very nice welds, with this post...who needs a suspension seatpost?

Weaknesses:    Installation of the saddle may be tricky...got it within a few minutes using the "penny" method.
Some may say price, but compared to a quirky unreliable suspended seatpost cost is similar...you get what you pay for

Bottom Line:
Moots knows about Ti...I stared at the sexy welds for at least 15 minutes prior to instalation. This Seatpost is not only aesthetically pleasing, but also does what it is suposed to do...hold the saddle in place and create some very nice shock absorption that is characteristic of Ti. (Choose your saddle wisely...once it is in place you may not want to wrangle another in its place. Although, it took only 5-10 minutes to install my saddle, I am not sure how long it would take to un-install one)
I know longer feel the need for dual suspension.
This seatpost along with tubeless tires...you will be golden.

Purchased At:   Beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Cane creek, raceface xo, thompson.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, XTR, Chris King Headset, Hayes Hydro disks, Tubeless wheelset, Thompson stem, Black Elite Fork, and of course "Moots" Laid back seat post

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from Boulder

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2003

Strengths:    Titanium Rules, layback is a cool design for tall people

Weaknesses:    None, some say it's expensive, but that only makes it stronger!

Bottom Line:
I have not ridden yet, but wanted to post installation instructions while it's fresh in my head. I was confused. There is a post here that describes how to do it, but I had to read it like 20 times till I finally got it. I'm just going to explain it another way for all y'all...

So, unscrew the clamp bolts all the way - take them all the way out. They should be coming out the bottom direction.

Then, you only need one bolt for this part... put the bolt in through the top (backwards, or opposite the way it came out). Put a coin over the hole that the bolt is heading towards as you screw it in. When the bolt contacts the coin, keep screwing a couple of turns to crank the clamp open.

Once I figured it out it took me all of five minutes.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock

Bike Setup:   Moots YBB

Submitted by Bruce Dance a Cross Country Rider from Damp, delightful, Blighty

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2002

Strengths:    Light, strong, shock absorbing, won't corrode (mostly), well designed, beautifully made. Sublime weld quality.

Weaknesses:    Not cheap. Seat clamp a bit fiddly. Corrosion possible on steel bolts, and/or on Al clamps if you ride when there is any salt on the roads- (about 4 months a year here in the UK). I now want these posts on other bikes I own which is going to be expensive...

Bottom Line:
This post came with the bike when I bought it. Despite the obvious quality of construction, at first I was a little doubtful; having previously owned a cheap steel post of apparently identical design on an earlier bike, I was worried that I would have the same problems as I had with that one. These were: 1. The clamp arrangement, er, wouldn't. 2. The post bent where it entered the frame.

I need not have worried. The Moots post has a beautiful shock absorbing ride, is unbelievably light, and yet is fantastically strong and durable. In my view it is probably the best XC post available. The clamp, although a bit fiddly to set up does not loosen, move, creak, or anything. So far no corrosion gremlins to speak of. I think this may be because although I ride all year round, I use a mudguard at the back in damp conditions (so, nearly always then), plus I clean and use copper-ease where necessary on a regular basis. Other Ti posts I've seen and used are heavier and mostly have weaker and/or even more corrosion prone clamps.

This post is expensive, but then the best often is.

Favorite Trail:   Helvellyn

Purchased At:   Bicycle Outfitter, Los Altos, CA

Similar Products Used:   A few other Ti posts. Had a cheap steel Moots lookalike once (no comparison tho'- see below).

Bike Setup:   Moots YBB SL, XT, 517's, King, X-lite bar ends, Moots finishing kit t.out, custom-built Judys (special upper tubes + true rising rate coil springs + unique speed-sensitive open bath oil dampers + no flippin' knobs to twirl in vain or valves to leak = 90mm of super-plush controlled travel with no bumps and clunks + complete reliability. Which is nice. )

Submitted by Brad Kriley a Racer from South Westen, PA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    light weight, reliability, performance

Weaknesses:    hard to install seat rails - but once there on there is no loosening

Bottom Line:
Combine the Moots post with a tubeless set-up on any hard-tail and you'll be lookin at the same feel of a short travel FS or ST bike without the the power robbing inefficiencies of rear travel. The post definately smooths the ride. This is life-time part spend the extra $$ now and never again providing you seat-tube size stays consistant.

Purchased At:   www.speedgoat.com