LP Composites Seatpost Seatpost

3.63/5 (27 Reviews)

Among the stiffest in the world, LP seatposts are made of Carbon and Kevlar composite materials. Light, strong and cool looking.

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, MO USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Strengths:    Relatively light (236 grams cut to 350mm)
2-bolt desogn makes set-up easier
Quiet, never developed creaks
Tastes like chicken

Weaknesses:    You can spend less for lighter posts
Rail-clamp design is pathetic, embarrassingly so
Mine cracked... eventually

Bottom Line:
I had one of these posts (size 31.6) for 7 1/2 years on a cross country bike. I'm 150lbs, but I didn't ride it lightly. I was very happy with it overall just because it lasted so long while still taking a lot of abuse.

Mine recently developed a crack up the back side of the post, about 4" long, so I replaced with a lighter, cheaper Thomson Elite.

The biggest drawback I saw with this post was that the seat rails were only supported by less than 1" of clamp area. Thankfully, I never bent a seat rail--considering all my saddles have had hollow Ti rails--but I can see how heavier riders certainly could.

I'd like to give it a lousy rating because of the obvious flaws in the overall design, but mine faithfully held my butt up for three-quarters of a decade, even for the 3 weeks I spent waiting for a new post... and continued to ride a cracked carbon one!! I'll pass it down to my grandkids one day, but never dare mount it on another bike.

Similar Products Used:   Thomson Elite

Bike Setup:   Fisher SuperCaliber hardtail

Submitted by Etienne a Weekend Warrior from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Strengths:    Very light.

Weaknesses:    The top piece has been loose for over a year now. My seat moves side to side. Unable to fix the problem. Guess I should replace it.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't buy it again.

Purchased At:   Came with bike when bought on EBay.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F900 w/ XTR and XT setup.

Submitted by Steve Kennedy a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2005

Strengths:    Strong, some flex... nice saddle clamp. good post, great customer support. don't really have anything bad to say. so far...

Weaknesses:    saddle clamp can be confusing to get right.

Bottom Line:
I'm kindof quirky... I like non-main stream components ie magura hs33 hydro rim brakes and well... klein. I've heard about issues with the clamps, but haven't had them. good customer support. hell, I've email'd back and forth with the CEO. The post seems bombproof. Plus they look great... not that that matters...

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail, Buff creek

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   boonty, thomson

Bike Setup:   klein pulse frame, SID shock, xtr fr&r, Magura hs33 brakes, king hubs on a 517 fr, and a 717 r, lp bars & ends, lp post

Submitted by Skmeetz a Racer from Roanoke, VA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2005

Strengths:    Takes off the edge if you still have one of them bikes without the fancy springy rear end thingy.

Weaknesses:    Durability.

Bottom Line:
I had the highest of hopes that this post would take that nasty ache out of my back after a race or a long ride. My aluminum hardtail was killing me. Once I stuck this in the seat tube, it helped alot. However, after one season of racing/riding, the top clamp (aluminum)is slowly loosening from the rest of the carbon post. I don't think it will survive another season of hard abuse. Oh by the way, I'm by no means a big 'ol dude: 145lbs at best. You may want to consider a 100% carbon construction post if you want it to last.

Favorite Trail:   The big 'ol rocky ones.

Similar Products Used:   Thudbuster,Thomson,Titec,Syncros

Bike Setup:   Kona Explosif single speed, Reba Team, King headset, avid brakes, Thomson goodies.

Submitted by Dan Atkins a Cross Country Rider from mexico

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2004

Strengths:    best damn seatpost ever. Strong and reliable.

Bottom Line:
If you want the best seatpost made look no further. It can take a huge beating.

Favorite Trail:   Ball Breaker

Purchased At:   priceoint.com

Similar Products Used:   giant carbon, Thompson

Bike Setup:   2003 Fisher Sugar 292

Submitted by Rich from Redmond, Wa, USA

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    carbon fiber, very lightweight, warranty

Bottom Line:
Very lightweight. Carbon fiber is a great material. 1 year unconditional warranty, and 5 years warranty. My Lp bars and ends have worked great for years. Does not slip, or anything like that.

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mtn.

Purchased At:   Adrenline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   stock post

Bike Setup:   Giant ATX 770, XTR/XT, Chris King, Lp, Rhyno Lite, Specialized, Marzocchi

Submitted by Matthew McCarty a Cross Country Rider from Bingen, WA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2003

Strengths:    Shock absorbtion. Bomber clamp design. Hybrid (blk/yel) finish. USA made! Excellent warranty.

Weaknesses:    Initally getting your saddle rails in the clamp is a pain, but once the rails are in, adjustment is easy. Also, if your saddle has short rails, this is not the post for you.

Bottom Line:
If your looking to save your spine, especially if you're riding a hardtail, look to carbon fiber. So many people think carbon is all about light weight, but more important is its shock absorption properties and excellent fatigue life. I've contacted LP about the clamp bonding issue, and it has not been an issue for two years (since 2001), when they switched adhesives. The clamp is super sturdy, but a little bulky depending on the saddle you ride. And if you break it, LP has a killer warranty program.

Favorite Trail:   Hosptial Hill, White Salmon, WA

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey.

Bike Setup:   A hodgepodge of excellent and middle of the road parts. Specialized hardtail frame.

Submitted by kokothemonkey a Racer from Boulder,CO

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2002

Strengths:    2 bolt clamp, adjustability

Weaknesses:    Breakage!

Bottom Line:
Well I really liked this seatpost until it broke on me. I must say I was traveling at warp speed but it broke at the junction of the carbon to the steel clamp which sounds like a problem for many reviewers. Now I must go Thompson and never go back. 4 chilis before it broke, but it could have sent me to the proctologist so now it gets 2 chilis.

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Purchased At:   Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Thompson, Titec

Bike Setup:   XTR, etc

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Edmonds, WA

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2001

Strengths:    Very stiff, light

Weaknesses:    rotated the head 15 degrees on a previous LP seatpost

Bottom Line:
I've been using these posts for years and currently have them on two bikes. I built a Titus Quasi last spring and used an LP seatpost and riser bars. Then I spent the summer riding the crap out of it.

I can tell you that if you ride from Cooney Lake down Foggey Dew Creek, you loose 5000 feet elevation in 13 miles. This is over open granite and rock sections of all varieties. If its possible to break something, this is the place to do it. I've survived twice now using LP products. Oh, by the way, light does have a place because you have to ride UP, no shuttle, no chairlift.

As I said in my prior post, I once rotated the head slightly. It still required a sledge hammer to get the seatpost head out of the tube. LP has since changed the bonding method to prevent this and my recent experience bares this out.

If you want to blend in with all the other boys and girls buy a Thomson (great product) or a Raceface. If you want to be different there's LP. Carbon fiber must work otherwise Shimano and Campy wouldn't be using it in there top of the line groups.

Purchased At:   Downhill Zone

Similar Products Used:   Raceface,Titec,Vitus

Bike Setup:   Titus Quasimoto

Submitted by BurkeTravelinman a Cross Country Rider from Grand Junction, Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Strengths:    The carbon fiber seatpost is real EASY to spot in my "HUFFY bin"...

Weaknesses:    It does the "swivel seat" boogie where seat-holder metal connects with the carbon fiber seat tube....

Bottom Line:
This LP seatpost has gotten some pretty decent reviews on this website.. Based on those reviews and the fact that it was carbon fiber i decided to try it...
Yep,after 5 rides, it has "play' at the metal/carbon fiber junction.. I wish i could say that doing 5 foot drop-off's was the reason for it BUT such is NOT the case.. This dang seatpost wasn't even put to the test on a ride with technical sections... $80 down the "crapper".. Into the HUFFY bin with the rest of my "lessons' learned"..
I just got a Thomson Elite seatpost in the snail mail and have installed it onto my Raven... I also own the aforementioned seatposts...
I have to admit that the RaceFace seatposts are my favorites.. They are SO EASY to setup and adjust..Plus they just plain look cool.. I rotate the abovementioned seatposts ("Similar Products Used") amongst my 5 single-rider bikes (they ALL take 27.2 seatposts)and RACEFACE is my hands-down favorite.. Lets face it, the Thomson seatpost looks like a $20 seatpost with "THOMSON" etched on the sides..I'm not knocking it because it has fabulous reviews..it just doesn't "grab me" like my other seatposts.. As for wieght, give me a break.. they are all so close (except for the Titec) that it is not even a factor when deciding which to buy ....

But LP should not be in your shopping cart unless you do ONLY ROADIE TOADIE riding....

Favorite Trail:   Any in Flagstaff/Sedona

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   Grafton Moby Post,, RaceFace XY,, RaceFace XYO,, Titec Hellbent Offset,, Thomson Elite..

Bike Setup:   2000 Cannondale Raven 800..Red.. XLarge.. Profile Stiffy stem (red).. Profile carbon fiber handlebars.. Sram 9.0 carbon fiber brake levers.. Answer Shorty bar ends.. Selle Italia Flite seat.. Thomson Elite seatpost.. black RaceFace crankset 22-32-44 170mm.. Real Ti bottom bracket.. Shimano: 536 pedals// Wh535 16 spoke wheelset// retro-7speed THUMBSHIFTERS..It's True It's True..// XTR 12-32 ti cassette with 16 tooth cog removed (a 7-speed with OVERDRIVE ) Try it-- you'll LIKE it..ALOT !!!

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Edmonds, WA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2001

Strengths:    That cool carbon/kevlar weave. Seems to work pretty good too. Fairly light.

Weaknesses:    With the original post, the bond between the carbon fiber shaft and the aluminum clamp came loose over time (about two years)

Bottom Line:
The LP seatpost is a better product than 90% of the seatposts out there. I've let it go months at a time without ever checking the clamp bolts and never experienecd any of the loosening described below. This post is stronger the the seat tube. I've seen aluminum seatposts bend, and have had the clamps come off. Even when the clamp on my original LP began to loosen it would not come out of the shaft except with a drift and sledge hammer. I replaced it and have now installed another on my new Titus Quasi Moto. These things are bomb proof.

Purchased At:   Jensen

Similar Products Used:   a variety

Submitted by mandingo whatever a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2000

Strengths:    nice looks, haven't had any real problems with it, softer than my last post

Weaknesses:    price,

Bottom Line:
This reviews a follow up:

I've been riding this post now for over a year and I've
noticed that the metal part of the post where it meets with the carbon is getting loose. (I'm not talking about the clamp or the screws.) I would imagine that it's only going to get looser. I haven't called Lp yet. Once I do i will follow up with what they did about it.

Favorite Trail:   runyon

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   ritchey

Bike Setup:   s-works, atom80

Submitted by Dan Shaw a Cross Country Rider from Oshawa Ont Canada

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2000

Strengths:    seat attachment is rock solid,stays fixed to frame.I do not no that post is there also it's carbon, extreamly weightless

Weaknesses:    Not cheap

Bottom Line:
I fell that if you are in the market for a carbon seat post. This is a far better and proven product than it's Easton counter part

Favorite Trail:   Single track

Purchased At:   Bay cycle

Similar Products Used:   Thompson elite

Bike Setup:   Med Carbon Jamis,Spox ceramic wheels,R.F next LP Ti bb.Time cabon pedals.Syncros stem and H.S{canadian}Easton monkey lite.Z2 Air.XTR shifters & Levers.FOX FLOAT R

Submitted by adam Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2000

Strengths:    Cool looks, ingenious seat clamp shed's mud nice, gives small amount of flex(my intentions when purchasing).

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
i bought this post with the pure intention of softening up the rear of my ride. The lp post did exactly that!! i noticed the "give" immediately. With no other company's producing a featherweight post in 30.9 i really cannot compare it with any other post (of this size, material). With the added small flex of the LP post i am now able to ride all day on my Sele' italia Ti seat, for those of you who own one you know they are damn stiff. Excellent product so far
Price: i didnt give a rat's ass...

Favorite Trail:   Rodalben Pirmasens, Germany