Litespeed Litespeed Mountain post Seatpost

2.15/5 (13 Reviews)

Litespeed Litespeed Mountain post

Submitted by Bernard Kazmierczak a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh, NC USA

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2007

Strengths:    Absolutely the best designed seatpost there ever was. It is a joy to behold!

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
This seatpost is a legendary absolute work of art! It's a shame that Litespeed does not make it any longer. Snap up every one you can, mountain or road!

Favorite Trail:   Umstead Park NC

Similar Products Used:   Every other seatpost, including Campagnolo, Alien, Easton, Salsa, Ritchey, American Classic.

Bike Setup:   98 Litespeed Ocoee, full XT, Rock Shock SID Race, 22 pounds

Submitted by Bill Kershaw a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2004

Strengths:    Light, flexy, finish. Very comfortable, had for over 2 years with no problems.

Weaknesses:    Poor design. I laughed reading the other reviews, 'cos I had exactly the same problems. I think it was going dark when I finally managed to get flite saddle in situ. That was after BFI treatment and much angry wrestling with it. A bit pricey. Needs to be tightened up really tight otherwise saddle slips.

Bottom Line:
Nice and comfy, but pants design.

Favorite Trail:   Skiddaw Round, Lake District

Purchased At:   John Atkins Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, Syncros

Bike Setup:   Lookout Mountain

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Sheffield, VT

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2003

Strengths:    light. very flexable.

Weaknesses:    the clamp

Bottom Line:
The clamp on this post is horrid! If the bolts weren't made of titanium they'd never handle the torque you have to put on them just to hold the seat in place. I had to sleeve something over the allen wrench just to get the clamp tight enough to keep the seat from not popping up vertical when riding off road. Getting the seat rails into the clamp to begin with is unnecessarily difficult, requiring serious force just to open the clamp up enough to get the rails in on both sides. I've never had any other seatpost require so much effort and hassle to keep the seat in place. I rode the leather off the sides of my last seat just to avoid the headache that installation and adjustment requires. I've never given a thought to any of the other seat posts I've owned. For the expensive price of this post Litespeed should be able to provide a truely functional clamp. At least their frames are great.

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   sevarl other posts (ritchy, easton, etc.)

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Ocoee

Submitted by Phil Orosco a Racer from CA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2002

Strengths:    Look Cool

Weaknesses:    Impossible to mount seats, which is very ironic.

Bottom Line:
WHoever designed this post should be shot. What were you thinking? It ended up in my closet for 3 months because I COUNLDNT FIGURE OUT HOW TO TAKE THE SEAT OFF!!! I thought it was me, but luckily after reading these reviews I realized its the stupid post. When I finally used a screwdriver to pry the clamp open with brute strength I was rewarded with a squeaky post. Thanks Litespeed!

Purchased At:   Obed

Similar Products Used:   Thomson

Bike Setup:   98 Obed with all the fixings

Submitted by Dave Harvey a Cross Country Rider from San Marcos,Ca

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2001

Strengths:    Nothing special so far, except it matches the bike. It is light, but not that light

Weaknesses:    I could not mount the seat without going back to the bike shop. With 3 of us prying with screwdrives and pushing it finally snapped on. Seat was a common Sella Flite, the bike mechanic stated he was going to call Lightspeed and tell the m the design is the worst he has ever seen.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it! I should have sent it back, I actually scratched it trying to get the seat mounted. My feeling is if Lightspeed wants to be known as the 'premier' offroad Ti company they should pull this product immediately and give purchasers some kind of credit! It's crap!!!

Favorite Trail:   Lots of em

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Synchros Ti, Thompson Alum, Kore.

Bike Setup:   Bike weighs 21.3 lbs- with all light stuff

Submitted by JOE from SPOKANE WA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2001

Strengths:    PRETTY, LIGHT, GREAT RIDE

Weaknesses:    BENT THE FIRST ONE, BROKE THE NEXT

Bottom Line:
I loved the ride. After 3 years my first one bent. Litespeed gave me a new one 7 months later I broke it in two. ? I'm not even gonna bother going for a third - maybe a carbon Easton this time?

Bike Setup:   LITESPEED OWL HOLLOW HT

Submitted by Brandon a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2000

Strengths:    Pretty, absorbs shock.

Weaknesses:    Pain in the ass to set up.

Bottom Line:
It is a major pain in the ass to install a seat on this post. It is the stupidest design I've ever seen. I don't know how I'll ever get the seat off. A woman will struggle with this post since it takes brute strength to install and I imagine even more strength to remove. It shouldn't be so difficult to work on what should be one of the simplest parts of a bike. Very disappointing from Litespeed.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest Utah