Kalloy Uno Seatpost

2.6/5 (43 Reviews)

The Kalloy Uno Suspension 27.2X350MM Seat-post is an adjustable seat-post that is perfect for the recreational cyclist, with a travel of 45mm for a comfortable positioning and, therefore, and enjoyable ride. Made of an alloy, the Uno seat post promises to

Submitted by dgh716

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to adjust with one bolt which is a very good design. Adjustment is precise and easy compared to other higher end posts with 2 or more bolts.

Weaknesses:    I snapped mine off but it was after being on the bike for roughly 5000 miles of XC riding.

Bottom Line:
I liked it, it's light, even though it broke it was heavily used and abused. I plan to get another one.
Adjustment is precise and easy compared to other higher end posts I've owned with 2 or more bolts.
I'd recommend unless you are 200 lbs.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    Upgrade from stock seatpost (cheap nut & bolt version) found on a 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn & stock on my 1996 GT Ricochet.

Weaknesses:    Not as strong and small adjustment adjustable as a dual hex bolt seatpost.

Bottom Line:
A good upgrade for a $200/1994 Raleigh Matterhorn. Good for stock on a $800/1996 GT Ricochet.
Bottom Line: Good for the $ value and function at the time.

Purchased At:   Burl's Cycle and Sports (1995)

Similar Products Used:   Stock Kalloy Uno on my 1996 GT Ricochet, Bontrager on 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Dsik & Bontrager Comp. as an upgrade on my 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Dsik.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2006

Strengths:    None!

Weaknesses:    Post Is too weak, I have had 2 in 1 year. The first one broke after 5 mos. the second one bent last week. A waste of money.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy it.

Purchased At:   on line

Bike Setup:   Mongoose frame, Shimano components

Submitted by Michael from Woodhaven, NY

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2006

Strengths:    Cheap?

Weaknesses:    Heavy for the size, even when compared to generic stock parts on mid priced bikes. Weak/soft aluminum, cheap hardware, imprecise angle adjustments, mine couldn't even hold the seat centered!

Bottom Line:
This was my replacement post for my 03 Enduro and needless to say you really do get what you pay for. I never used it long enough to strip it, but I noticed the grooves on the mating clamp surfaces were rounding slightly from just adjusting the damn thing. Besides being imprecise adjustment wise, the hole for the bolt was off center on the post, causing my seat to sit a few millimeters to the left in relationship to the frame! DO NOT BUY THIS POST! I'm lucky I never used this long enough to break on me, it would only have been a matter of time judging by the condition it was in when I replaced it.

Submitted by Spoook a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    Light and cheap.

Weaknesses:    Clamp design

Bottom Line:
Got this product to put on my Schwinn because I needed something cheap. It lasted about a year untill the screw that holds the seat in place, would no longer hold the seat at the position I put it. It was a cheap seat post, but honestly I didn't expect it to last long, and neither should you.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore - Grapevine

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Titec, Thompson, Syncros

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Moab 99' (XT drive train, Marzoochi Z4, Titec Bars, Syncos Seat Post, Avid 1.0's, Rhynos Lite and Deore on front , Azonic Butcher and Parrallax XT on rear, Cane Creek S5 headset, Azonic Head Lock, Oury Grips) - Bianchi Cuss (Titec Cockpit, Oury Grips, Race Face Cranks, Paul Word Hubs on WTB Rims, Avid Speed Dial Levels, Marzoochi MX Comp)

Submitted by Daniel Haden a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX, United States

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    There is no way the clamp could slip.

Very light weight.

The silver version is adonized with a rough coating so it cannot slip down into the bike.

Weaknesses:    This is a roadie product.

It is difficult to adjust for a problem saddle, because the big, non-slip teeth make this fit like an old standard clamp.

Bottom Line:
If slipping was the problem, this will certainly cure it. Nothing about it will slip.
It is inexpensive and light weight.
It is not micro-adjust because it has rather large teeth, and so is extremely unhelpful with problem saddles.
It is extremely strong for a roadie product or urban warrier, but possibly not strong enough for a mountain bike trail and a heavy rider.

I bought it to cure a slipping problem and for extra layback to help my knees. It did what I asked of it.
No micro-adjust may cause its replacement.

Favorite Trail:   Houston

Purchased At:   Airbomb

Similar Products Used:   Pyramid Seat Post--not as strong tubing, no slipping, easy adjustment, much stronger clamp hardware.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Alloy 7 with the Nexus 8 upgrade for more speed.

Submitted by Al a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2005

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    difficult to adjust, bolt breaks

Bottom Line:
I weigh 250 pounds and I have broken the bolt on the clamp 3 times in about 4 years, or about once every 3000 miles. While I'm heavy, this is 100% road riding, and I try to avoid bumps. Now I'm going with a Thomsen seatpost like I have on my single bike.

Unless you're light and just putting together an inexpensive bike that won't go many miles, I'd recommend a better clamp. (The seatpost is OK.)

Favorite Trail:   a little-used county road

Purchased At:   came as original equipment

Similar Products Used:   Thomsen

Bike Setup:   Meridian tandem -- heavy wheels, mostly Ultegra equipment

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2004

Strengths:    ???

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work off-road, or even on for that matter (see below.)

Bottom Line:
The bolts break. The post may be fine but the hardware sucks. I dropped my saddle in the middle of rush-hour traffic when a bolt decided to snap. I dropped my saddle again at mile 6 on 9-mile hill in Squamish and was lucky enough to hitch a ride with a logger on his way down. Lesson: don't take this post into the backcountry without spare parts. Heck, don't ride in the city without spare parts. Better yet, get a raceface or a thomson.

Favorite Trail:   Seymour

Similar Products Used:   rmb, raceface xy, thomson

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by David Gibson a Weekend Warrior from Madison

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    durable, affordable

Bottom Line:
I've owned 3 kalloy seatposts and have finally worn one out after 9 years of owning it. (the other ones were stolen)

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   cambriabike

Similar Products Used:   x-lite, ritchey, bontrager, shimano, kalin

Bike Setup:   Cannondale sm900, xtr wheels, easton mag stem,

Submitted by Jeff a Downhiller from San Jose, CA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Strengths:    Looks good in the trashcan

Weaknesses:    The worst seapost ever! very cheap, poor design. I've snapped 3 bolts already.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy, get a thomson the extra money is well worth it. nothing is quite as frustrating as having your seatpost break mid ride, although you do quickly learn how much you sit on your seat.

Favorite Trail:   Dogbone, northstar

Similar Products Used:   thomson, other generic

Submitted by Barry S a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2004

Strengths:    Very cheap, polished finish & graphics are very high up so don't get scratched when you drop the height. Pretty light, I've read it quoted as 230g-250g on merlincycles.co.uk I have had this post for 8 years, & over 20k miles. First 6 years mostly on roads but I've turned to racing over the last couple years (on a rigid bike on some rough courses too). This post last fantastic till today (the ridges have finally given way). Bolt is poor, but only went today mid-race due to an attempt to overtighten to compensate for working loose.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't look that great, mostly just because of the branding & no CNC machining. Over the years the finish becomes pitted but autosol usually sorts this for a while.

Bottom Line:
Basic post with a hell of a lot of bang per buck. Not had the troubles of others & I'm only on here reportiung because I'm considering another after todays' failure.

Purchased At:   Merlin Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Mike Burrows aero carbon (road)

Bike Setup:   Merlin Malt 2, rigid, v.light, XT/LX, 517's

Submitted by Will a Weekend Warrior from Durham

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2003

Strengths:    It came with my bike, which I love. And I verified that it is an "Uno" by reading the word "Uno" printed on the post.

Weaknesses:    It loosened itself on my third ride. Then twice on my fourth ride. The second time on that ride I cranked it down so hard that I bent the washer. From then on it made a slight creaking noise. My sixth ride it slipped again, so I put some torque on it, and snapped the bolt. Fortunately I was nowhere near the road, and once on the road, I was nowhere near where I parked my truck, so I had a wonderful workout riding the whole way out of the saddle. I got a new bolt and tightened it down, hit the seat with my palm to test its hold, and the threads ripped out of the upper half of the clamp (a strong little bolt, though, eh?).

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend the Uno based on my personal experience, but more importantly, read some of the other reviews here, there are a lot of very similar stories. Ibex, being all about their customers, is replacing the post with a totally different post so that this won't happen again.

Favorite Trail:   CHHS

Purchased At:   Stock with bike

Similar Products Used:   Just the post on my road bike, which never did this, but that is not so odd.

Bike Setup:   Stock Ibex Trophy 770, about which I love everything except this post.

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cheap...poor clamp...unsafe at any speed

Bottom Line:
This post really sucks... It nearly prevented my having children today! Worked fine for about 9 months, then on a tight hill the clamp slipped, pointing the seat upward. Attempted to retighten it on the trail, but it slipped again about another half mile down the road. When I got back I tightened it harder (the friction grooves had mushed out when it slipped...not like I haven't read about this before with this post).

The post hadn't given me any more trouble for a couple months, then just today coming off a curb the tightening bolt broke (thank the Lord it was at slow speed!). Now, the bolt didn't pop out from overtensioning, like an aluminum can do- it bent and failed in fatigue. The remnants of the post tore through my pants, underware, and scraped me in a very uncomfortable place.... I am NOT happy!

BTW, I had the fastener looked at- it isn't even a graded bolt. No company should be in business when they opt to endanger the lives of their customers to save a whopping 10 cents! Don't buy this post- your @ss (and your unborn children) will thank you!

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles