Icon empty Seatpost

3.02/5 (41 Reviews)

Icon

Submitted by Turd Furgeson from Merryland

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2004

Strengths:    Looks nice, lightweight

Weaknesses:    Single bolt clamp just isn't strong enough for clydes like me...well, once combined with a bigger saddle like the Love Seat.

Bottom Line:
Overall the Icon seatpost (which was a stock item on my VRX) did a good job while combined with the stock Bontrager FS+10 (horrible!!!) saddle. It worked fine w/o stripping out the clamp for nearly 4yrs., but once I upgraded my saddle to an Azonic Love Seat (which is a big ol' seat fwiw) the clamp just couldn't handle the added stress. The single bolt design of the clamp just isn't up to the task, but surprisingly it lasted quite a long time for me so I can't really complain too much. Plus it's pretty good looking with the grey'ish finish on the aluminum and is pretty lightweight too. Overall not too shabby for me since it came with my bike, but the single-bolt clamp design sux0rz!

Purchased At:   Came stock on bike.

Similar Products Used:   Sette APX

Bike Setup:   '00 Trek VRX300: Azonic Looooooove Seat, Azonic O.R.S. stem, Sette APX seatpost,ODI's, stock otherwise for now...

Submitted by Kevin from Hawaii

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
Light weight graphite post at an incredible price! If you need a post in an oddball size than this just may be the post for you? Nobody else sells stuff as cheap as ICYCLES, I am tempted to buy a bunch just to make wind chimes outta for that cheap. Did I mention it is Graphite!

Purchased At:   www.ICYCLESUSA.com

Submitted by Nikolas a Weekend Warrior from Greece

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Strengths:    Ultra light.leather,very nice looks

Bottom Line:
Its an excelent choice(if you can afford it).So far its still ok ,of cousrse i only weight 70Kg.Maybe its not intended for over-weight riders os for anything except XCFor my use however its ok.i give it 4 chilis for value because its a bit expensive.

Submitted by Chris Hargrove a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2003

Strengths:    It was free

Weaknesses:    Cradle doesn't stay put no matter how much I tighten

Bottom Line:
I have to agree with other comments. I've had bad luck. Cradle just won't maintain position adjustment. Moves around during ride. Don't buy this stuff after market.

Favorite Trail:   Jones Down Hill

Purchased At:   Criterium Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   no name stuff that came with cheaper bikes

Bike Setup:   Merlin Echo, Mars C, XT, WTB GG/Speed master wheels (dealer needed to sell Merlin frame, threw on icon crap he had and sold me complete bike for less than list price of frame--I wouldn't accept dolomite wheels, made him replace with WTB).

Submitted by Russell Ruggiero a Weekend Warrior from West Windsor, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2003

Strengths:    Light and Strong

Bottom Line:

Dear
Reader

I own both the Onyx and Graphite series of ICON products. These products are both light-weight and well built. They are not up to Easton Elite standards, but at one fourth the cost, they do offer a very good value.

If you want a well made light-weight seatpost at low cost, seek out the ICON series of products. Klein seems to have these on some very expensive offerings. There must have been some logic behind this product mix.

Sincerely
Russ

PS: Easton and Thomson are the best, but the ICON Graphite Series is not far behind. I am not joking, just try one out.

Favorite Trail:   R&D

Purchased At:   Jay's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Select and Eastin EA 70

Bike Setup:   Trek STP 200, Trek 4300

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2002

Strengths:    Look, weight, quality build

Weaknesses:    grey color wears off

Bottom Line:
It's too bad people have had problems with this, because it's been flawless for me. Ridden it 5 years and >5000 miles not a creak, not a stripped bolt, not a slip.

Overall I am extremely pleased with all my ICON stuff (bar, stem, and seatpost)

All were stock with the bike.

Bike Setup:   Trek Alpha SL frame, RS Duke XC, XT/LX group

Submitted by J T a Cross Country Rider from VA USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2002

Strengths:    price
weight

Weaknesses:    It says Icon on it, it that bothers you...

Bottom Line:
Can't complain... For 10 bucks its hard to beat. It doesn't slip, and the cradle stays in place if you make sure its tight.

Favorite Trail:   Hidden Valley PA

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   syncros, several no-name

Bike Setup:   Alum hardtail

Submitted by strong dog L. a Cross Country Rider from Pgh

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Strengths:    Light, cheep, can strike a match on the finish to light fires to keep my ladies warm.

Weaknesses:    suffers from some kind of inferiority complex ascribed to it by image conscious bikers.

Bottom Line:
Owned it for a year so far without troubles. I never sit through rough sections so i don't see how it could break unless caused by a good crash. Hey, if it comes on the bike, ride it. If it breaks, upgrade. Don't go running like a wee girl if you see it on the bike you'd like to purchase.
Strong Dog

Favorite Trail:   old hoe gorge

Similar Products Used:   broom sticks, plumbing pipes, other experimental materials.

Bike Setup:   98 Trek 8500SL-2001 RS Judy SL, XTR & XT

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2001

Weaknesses:    the cradle

Bottom Line:
This seatpost is crap. the cradle threads stripped after one ride. I tightened the cradle as hard as i could, and it lasted about ten more miles. now my seat moves depending on were i sit. the no name on my old trek 850 is better.

Similar Products Used:   no name brands

Bike Setup:   trek 800o, avid breakes, sram 9.0 drive train and shifters. icon cranks, seat post and bars.

Submitted by Doug from Boise, ID

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Strengths:    Looks good, light, cheap.

Weaknesses:    Creaks like an old floor.

Bottom Line:
This seat post follows the basic rule of bike parts: light, strong, cheap - pick any two. It's light and cheap, but not strong enough for my 200 lb. body. Lightweights may have better luck with it, but it creaked on every turn of the pedals for me. I liked the graphite color finish on it, it looks more expensive than it is. Replaced it with a Salsa Shaft, $45 more but it's outstanding!

Similar Products Used:   Salsa Shaft, Easton EA50, no-namers

Bike Setup:   Al Hardtail, XT, Judy SL.

Submitted by Limping a Racer from McLean, VA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2001

Strengths:    hmmm...

Weaknesses:    Saddle angle control teeth strip on the maiden ride. Bolt holding everything together breaks in races, dropping the saddle off the back of the bike, leaving you to come down on the raw post.

Bottom Line:
This is the last original component I have yet to replace on my bike, but it should have been the first. I tried to get more life out of it by drilling a hole and putting in a small screw to secure the angle adjustment. That worked for a while, but the soft materials used for the clamping components and the single bolt design are a joke. Riding this seatpost on hard terrain is downright hazardous, as I had the misfortune to learn last weekend. Get a Thomson or some other strong post that won't turn on you in the worst way possible.

Favorite Trail:   Snowshoe, WV

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   ControlTech, Thomson

Bike Setup:   Klein Attitude, XTR, Cane Creek WAM Ti wheels

Submitted by Mulldog a Cross Country Rider from Dubuque, IA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Strengths:    Looks pretty decent
Not to heavy

Weaknesses:    Stripped after a one mile ride on a paved bike path the first time I had the bike out!

Bottom Line:
I read the reviews but thought the problems must have been do to abusive riding. This clamp on ths thing stripped completely after a one mile ride on a paved path. No jumps, drops, or anything and I only weigh 175! The shop replaced it for free but with an identical part so we'll see if this one holds up. Needless to say, I'm a little concerned about riding hard on the new one.

Favorite Trail:   Fruita

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   Whatever came stock on my 97 Trek 7000

Bike Setup:   Stock so far, only ridden once.

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2001

Strengths:    No strengths; my seatpost broke on my bike after 6 months of riding.

Weaknesses:    The threads on the seatpost have disappeared. My seat angle is adjustable during the ride based on where I place my ass.

Bottom Line:
This is my second problem with Icon parts on my bike. I think that trek needs to upgrade their house brand, or contract with a better brand, because Icon sucks.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne

Purchased At:   LBS with bike

Similar Products Used:   Whatever came on my prior bike, a Trek 950, which never broke.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 with Icon parts.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from St Louis

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2001

Strengths:    stiff i guess, does it's job, strong, no complaints

Weaknesses:    not a suspension seatpost!

Bottom Line:
i have never broken a seat post, and i weight 200+ lbs. even the one on my old cheese-master bike never broke! is this thing made out of aluminum or cromo? i dunno, it is a seatpost, and it works well at being a post for the seat. i sure would like a suspension seatpost though, that would be the only upgrade i ever buy for it. what the hell are you people doing to you seatposts, anyway? don't you know how to ride? the key to NOT breaking a seatpost is twofold: 1)not being a fatass, and 2) when ging over jumps or just large bumps, stay out of the saddle and on your feet! DO NOT let the seat(post) take the brunt of the impact. sheesh.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb in St Louis