Easton EC70 Zero Seatpost

2.4/5 (5 Reviews)
Weight : 225 grams

Easton CNT Composite TaperWall Technology Superior fatigue and impact strength Multi-adjustable, lightweight head design Relief-Area Design for over-clamping protection.

• Sizes: 400 mm

Submitted by BAT555

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2013

Strengths:    very light, very pretty & very comfy.

Weaknesses:    if you have to lower the post it does mark & scratch easily.

Bottom Line:
All XC hardtails need one of these. It's light, great to look at & I was a sceptic regarding any extra gains in comfort but I'm not anymore.I have a fair amount of post exposed & it feels like extremely low pressure in your back tyre. I kept having to stop at first to make sure i didn't have a puncture. I've had no problem with post slipping but do use carbon assembly paste & use a qr seat collar so just tightened it to previous seat post tension.

Submitted by baraant a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Strengths:    Light Weight.

Weaknesses:    Carbon fiber can't take XC pounding.

Bottom Line:
I've had this post since about 8/2008 and this seatpost can't take the rigors of XC riding and I only weigh 152 lbs fully geared up. I followed the Easton instructions to the T and I put it in using carbon paste and tightened to their recommended 60 in-lbs of torque. Then I checked the tightness after a few rides and I rechecked it again at the beginning of this year. It was making a lot of creaking so now, 8/2009, I took it out to have a look and I found two good indentations on the seatpost at the seat tube tightening point. I just ordered a Thomson and this CNT-composite technology piece of crap is going in the trash. If it can't withstand a good XC pounding the manufacturer should at least state that.

Favorite Trail:   Palos

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Pro, Sette APX aluminum and carbon

Bike Setup:   4" travel FS Ibex Asta

Submitted by Garfield16 a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2009

Strengths:    light and intuitive design. Creak free performance, and fully-serviceable if it ever does creak.

Weaknesses:    none thus far

Bottom Line:
a good seat post. I paid $70 dollars for it, and am thrilled with my buy. This seatpost doesn't slip, at least for me, and has an easy set-up design, and tilt-adjustment design. However I would not reccommend paying the full retail price of $150sih. The only reason you would be willing to pay so much for a seatpost is because you want a light one, and i beam seatposts are a lot lighter and can be cheaper. But for $70 a great seatpost.

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Bike Setup:   5 in. travel trail bike

Submitted by Brian Nystrom a Cross Country Rider from Nashua, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight

Weaknesses:    Slips constantly!

Bottom Line:
While this post is light and the saddle clamp works well, it simply won't stay in place in the frame. I cleaned the surfaces to make sure there was no lube on them and it still slipped. I tried it with bolted and quick release collars and it still slipped. The unnecessary flat on the back of the post reduces the clamping area and probably contributes to the slippage problem.

I replaced it with a Thompson which stays in place, even when lubed and used with a Q/R collar.

I've used a lot of other Easton products over the years and have found them to be of high quality, but this seatpost is the exception. I'd like to give it more than one chili, but if it doesn't work, it's worthless to me. Easton can do better than this, especially for the price.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Thompson, Synchros, others

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XC Pro

Submitted by Andreas a Cross Country Rider from Schwelm, Germany

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2006

Strengths:    Does what a seatpost has to do. It connects saddle with the frame. Holds saddle in position --> improvement compared to EA70

Weaknesses:    The flat scaled back of the seat tube is a total disaster. Dust and mud has easy access to the frame. Makes the connection seatpost creak all the time.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't recommend this post to anyone. I disassemble the bottom bracket every two weeks to get the water and dirt out of the frame which came in via the seatpost. THe craking sound is more than annoying.

Purchased At:   Hibike