Easton EC70 Carbon Seatpost

2.71/5 (85 Reviews)

Thanks to genetic differences, we'll never all ride the same equipment. Luckily, companies like Easton make different seatposts that reflect our particular sizing needs. If you find yourself in the camp that prefers a setback post, the Easton EC70 Seatpost may just be the winning ticket. It features proven aluminum/carbon composite construction and weighs as little as other seatposts costing twice as much.The EC70 uses a two bolt design for the seat rail clamp. We've found this to be generally superior to single bolt clamps in terms of minute adjustments in saddle tilt. There are no splines, teeth, or otherwise to dictate exactly where you can position your saddle. The design relies on two simple bolts to apply even torque to both ends of the clamp and each is adjusted independently of the other to secure the unit. The forged alloy clamp assembly is bonded to the seatpost shaft, which is made of their CNT carbon fiber and uses Easton's Taperwall and RAD (relief area design) technology to minimize the material while preserving the strength necessary for a durable post worthy of their 5 year warranty.The Easton EC70 Seatpost has 10mm of clamp offset and is available with a 350mm length in three diameters -- 27.2mm, 30.9mm, and 31.6mm. 215 grams

Submitted by d barry a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2014

Strengths:    light weight, offset post feature, looks good.

Weaknesses:    I boutght this Easton EC70 seatpost less than a year ago mainly for its offset feature to adjust my ride position. And as far as the set up was concerned it worked out perfectly. However, after several mishaps riding where the seatpost dangerously slips I thought I had a frame problem. But I took the time to measure the post with digital calipers and it is manufactured undersized. I brought the 26.8 mm diameter version -- it measures out to 26.3 and is not actually round -- it is slightly flat on the back and front sides-- in other words it doesn't even meet its own specs and so is poorly manufactured. The bike shop where I purchased it would not replace it and applied some compound to it to help it stick -- this didn't work. I have had to replace the frame tightening bolt because I've been forced to overtighten it just to make it back home and broke the bolt. But something this simple should not become a problem in the first place.

Bottom Line:
buy something else or bring your digital calipers to the bike shop with you to measure it out before purchasing.

Submitted by hookooekoorider a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2013

Strengths:    Lighter than most aluminum posts, but not by much.

Weaknesses:    Broke going off a curb

Bottom Line:
Take this for what it's worth. I weigh 180 lbs. and used the EC70 seatpost on my hardtail Niner with front suspension. I did not use a torque wrench to tighten my seatpost clamp, but I also did not tighten the clamp hard. I also clamped an aluminum seatpost rack to the seatpost (generally not recommended), but had nothing on the rack at the time the seatpost broke. The seatpost gave me no problems for about 6 months, but I was mainly road riding, with the occasional cross country trail thrown in (single and double track, rocks, steps). BUT...I rode off a sidewalk curb, fully seated, yesterday and broke the seatpost about an inch above the clamp (and also an inch below where the rack was clamped on). Luckily, I was going super slow and did not get hurt. I would not recommend using this for mountain biking, unless the trails are smooth. Others have said it, but I'll say it again...get a Thomson. A 350mm Thomson Masterpiece with 16mm setback is 199grams, whereas a 350mm EC70 with 10mm offset is listed at 225grams.

And this is the word from seatposts.org:
"Where is the EC70 seatpost best used? It is good enough for just about any road bike, and it will hold its own with the best components. It’s durable enough for the rigors of road racing, but unless you are a lightweight rider (under 200lbs) and you ride smooth cross country trails only, this is not the seatpost for a mountain biker. The last thing you want to do is squander $130 for a cracked seatpost because you flew off a drop at speed – of you are going to get at all airborne on your mountain bike, there are stronger seatposts that are close to the weight of the EC70. Likewise, heavier riders should seek out a stronger (like a mountain-specific) seatpost to protect their investment."

Favorite Trail:   Shell ridge

Duration Product Used:   6 mos.

Similar Products Used:   Race Face Evolve XC, Titec Hellbent

Bike Setup:   Niner EMD

Submitted by Volare a Weekend Warrior from Williamsburg, VA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2011

Strengths:    It looks fancy

Weaknesses:    Pretty much the same as everyone else. When tightened as recommended, it slips about .5" every mile or so on moderate XC trails. Toaday it broke altogether see below for more details.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden this seat post and xc lite carbon handlebars for about 300 miles. The handlebars are great, no complaints. This seat post however is ridiculous. It slips when properly tightened at the clamp. Today the epoxy that adheres the carbon to the aluminum clamp failed and if I hadn't reacted so quickly would have impaled myself. I was riding on a flat section of trail, no roots or bumps and all the sudden, pop. There I stood getting eaten by mosquitoes while I picked my saddle off the ground and tried to figure out how to carry it while riding back to the parking lot 3 miles away.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Thompson aluminum posts

Bike Setup:   Giant hard tail, X0 shifters and derailleurs, xt crankset, xt hydraulic discs, Fox 32 Float 140.

Submitted by jimbsport a Weekend Warrior from quebec

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    lightweight easy to adjsut with the two bolt

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
at this price it's a great upgrade that you won't regret, confortable, lightweight easy to adjust

Favorite Trail:   J-bar

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   bontrager and specialized generic seatpost

Bike Setup:   gary fisher hi fi plus

Submitted by pedalitup a Cross Country Rider from Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    Micro adjustable clamp. Strong enough for this bike. Fifty two bucks on clearance.

Weaknesses:    The cutout stess reliever allows dust and water to enter the seat tube. No good if you're gonna use this on a bike where saddle height needs to vary. Lots of negative reviews on this board.

Bottom Line:
I borrowed and tested this post a few months ago on my road bike. Easy to setup and superb ride with no slippage. At list it was overpriced. Found it on clearance for this new bike. I will post updated review if it fails during prolonged use.

The EC-70 was priced to sell and I weigh 130. . .

I ignored previous negative reviews and "rolled the dice" on this one. Its light, strong, beautiful and matches this build flawlessly. The bike is fast, comfortable and weighs under 17 lbs.

As far as using this post on my hardtail XC bike, NO WAY, the Thomson Elite stays put! Its a no brainer to anyone who inspects both posts carefully. One is a reinforced plastic tube glued into a copy of a patented Thomson clamp, the Thomson being simply the best there is. Choose your equipment accordingly.

I leave the bottom line on this to an article I found on EASTONs website concerning appropriate component selection:

"So, if you’re the adventurous sort that blazes new trails and tends to leave the bike a lot. Aluminum or thicker-walled carbon bars will work for you. If you are more the elite cross-country rider that finesses the trails you can choose a lighter bar regardless of materials. This advice applies to other components as well: seat posts, stems, forks, etc.
The bottom line is that while there are a lot of components available, it is important that you choose the right one for your intended riding style. One size does not fit all."

Favorite Trail:   The ones I ride to

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, Titec, Ritchey and various generic OEM

Bike Setup:   Something you can't buy at a bike shop.

Willier Mortirolo cyclocross frame built up as rigid 29'er. Winwood Dusty cross fork, Ultegra 32 hole hubs laced 3X to Velocity Aerohead rims, 35c SB8 tires, Shimano driveline: FC-700 50-34 crank, SL-R441 shifters, FD-R700 front derailleur, XT shadow rear derailleur and 11-34 cassette. Monkeylite XC SL bar with speed dial 7 and Avid SD7 V brakes. WTB Laser V ti saddle and Easton EC-70 post. And yes, the driveline shifts flawlessly despite being a bit outside Shimanos design specs.

Submitted by El Baelos a Cross Country Rider from Ghent, Belgium

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Strengths:    light, filters small vibrations very well

Bottom Line:
When I read all the comments here after I ordered the seat post, I was quite afraid about the quality.
But this seat post is simply great.
I fastened it by hand, and didn't touch it any more for a year.
Last week I bought a torque key and checked the torque: it was fastened way too hard all the time, but it never broke.
Now I reduced the torque and it still doesn't slip.
Great seat post

Favorite Trail:   Ardennes

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles

Similar Products Used:   standard alu Scott seat post

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale '08 frame, DT-Swiss wheels (XR420D, XD240S), Formula R1 brakes, Ritchey WCS headset, Easton EA70 handlebar, Selle Italia SLR seat...

Submitted by Brent a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Great seat post with no issues yet. For all of you out there who are crying over broken seat posts (+ risk being de-genied), what are you doing taking hits / riding agessively while ON the seat. Give me a break...

Favorite Trail:   Pneuma to moose

Similar Products Used:   Easton EA50

Bike Setup:   2008 Rocky Element 50

Submitted by kurtwz a Cross Country Rider from Lenexa, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2009

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    -Design flaw in the clamp causes the seat bracket to slip allowing the saddle to pitch upward causing pain and potentially harm to the testicles and other organs down there (sterility/impotence anyone?).
-Non-existent product support after I made a complain to BikeSource and directly to Easton.
-After I decided that a replacement bracket may be all that's needed, I spent the bucks to order one (because Easton made me) and 1st: they make it very hard to place orders for replacement components, 2: they sent the wrong bracket the first time, 3: the replacement did exactly the same thing after a matter of ~5 hours riding time.
=====
There's no other place to mention this, so I'll do it here: I weigh ~195, which surely is part of the reason why the clamp gave out, but it fails when riding on paved streets and when the bolt is as tight as I can make it w/ automotive mechanic's tools. Surely even a light 150 LB rider will place that amount of weight on the saddle when traversing rough terrain.

Bottom Line:
Product w/ an intolerable design flaw by a company that doesn't stand behind their product and doesn't make it easy to get replacement parts.

Favorite Trail:   Landahl

Purchased At:   Bought bike from fri

Bike Setup:   Full suspension titanium Dean.

Submitted by FrancoisTX a Cross Country Rider from Spring, TX

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2008

Strengths:    Light, nice, comfortable

Weaknesses:    broken after 6 months.....

Bottom Line:
I m heavy but on the web of manufacturer or the shop, no restriction....
Broken on a flat trail, nothing special and no alert...
2 weeks without bike and big big injurys to my geni.....

Customer service of Jenson was perfect, thank you

Favorite Trail:   Cypresswood

Submitted by Bikesair a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2008

Strengths:    Looks very slick. Light weight compared to most seat-post's. I like the two bolt design which keeps it very simple.

Bottom Line:
This seat post is a great post. I don't know about everyone else but mine had torque spec's for the aluminum fasteners and really has never slipped on me yet. A lot of people complain of it breaking which an Easton employee told me was 'from user error'. I have seen some of the testing they put these things through and I highly doubt failure was a result of poor manufacturing.

Great budget seat-post. If you every find a Thompson Masterpiece that's in your price bracket...go for that thing.

Favorite Trail:   Seqioa's, Camp Nelson

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Similar Products Used:   Thompson Elite, Thompson Masterpiece, Specialized stock post.

Bike Setup:   This is installed on a 06' Stumpjumper FSR Comp. I weigh 148lbs.

Submitted by Justodd a Weekend Warrior from Silver Spring, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    I guess it looks cool, kinda.

Weaknesses:    What a piece of crap! Constant slipping of the clap which resulted in the nose sticking up toward the sky resulting in my balls getting shoved up to navel! Clamp failed during a ride, the thread stripped and yanked the bolt right through. This seat post has given me problems from the start.

Bottom Line:
You can't argue with the majority. Read the reviews then do not buy the EC70, buy the Thomson Elite instead!

Favorite Trail:   National Trail, AZ

Similar Products Used:   Thomson Elite...forget the EC70 and get the Elite

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F600, after market xt/xtr derailuers, crank bros egg beater pedals, WTB Weirwolf 2.3 in front, Kenda Nevegal 2.1 in back (both tube in)...everything else stock.

Submitted by Tom Whitaker a Cross Country Rider from Santa Paula< Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2008

Strengths:    Wieght

Weaknesses:    None yet however, many people have issues with the post slipping down in the seat-tube. Easy fix...apply a small amount of valve lapping compound on the post were it will be clamped. Torque clamp properly.....no slipping!!! Regarding breakage, I suspect many are due to over tightened clamps, makes sense since they will slip if you don't use lapping compound.

Bottom Line:
Buying a CF seatpost is not for everyone! But, I've had no issues, other than figuring out how to prevent it from slipping, and have been using it for about 3 years. I weigh 170 (naked) and ride some pretty tough and technical trails. Just purchased another for my new 29er SS build!

Favorite Trail:   Ones with dirt

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Bike Setup:   Ventana X5, Fox 32 Talas RLC fork, Fox RP23 shock, Hope brakes, DT240 hubs/Mavic 717 rims/14,15 DT spokes,....etc., etc.

Submitted by Hendra Widjaja a Weekend Warrior from Bali, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2008

Strengths:    Easton, lightweight, carbon fibre

Weaknesses:    Pricey, and I think the set back is way too much for my preference

Bottom Line:
I've use it for around 6 months now, no complaint at all, unless I feel the set back is way too much for my preference, I think this is more related to my bike's geometry.
The price is on the high side.

Favorite Trail:   Jimbaran

Purchased At:   Denpasar

Bike Setup:   Giant MCM Team, mixed XT and XTR components.

Submitted by Emil Roach a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2007

Strengths:    Looks, that's about all.

Weaknesses:    Catastrophic failure for the 2007 model EC 70 seatpost!!! I have been riding this post for approximately 6 months. I live in lower Ontario, Canada, so you can imagine that there aren't very many good or hard trails in the area. Luckily I was only riding to my friends house when this happened!!! Keep in mind I ride a dual suspension bike. I rode off of a 7inch sidewalk curb, and when my back wheel hit the street, all I heard was a laud POP! I got off my bike and the EC 70 Carbon seat post had cracked right in half about an inch above the seat collar. It was not over tightened or under tightened, and I weigh 175lbs. Be very weary of this product!!! I can't imagine what might have happened to me if I were riding in the trails!!!

Bottom Line:
!!!DANGER!!!---If you value your reproducing organs, DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! Nobody should buy this product! Stick to Thomson's :)

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley

Similar Products Used:   2006 EC70 (luckily didn't snap), other post's.

Bike Setup:   2007 Giant Anthem 0 with Easton carbon post and handlebars

Submitted by Mark Adams a Cross Country Rider from Findon ,West Sussex ,England

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2007

Strengths:    Great looks.

Weaknesses:    It will look scruffy fairly soon. Then it will break. Trust me.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this product, unless you're just going to look at it. My first one had the clamp separate from the post after approx 9 months. CRC were excellent, arranged for a new replacement. That has just failed in exactly the same way after 18 mths, riding XC summertime only (I work abroad in the winter) Fortunately both failures were at non-critical moments, but you could be in for a very nasty surprise. I am not an aggressive rider, and I weigh in at 180lb. I'm now on an aluminium Thomson Elite.

Favorite Trail:   Surrey Hills

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Similar Products Used:   Thomson Elite, Bontrager carbon.

Bike Setup:   Blur LT, Fox32 Talas, Hope/Mavic, Mono M4.

Easton EC70 carbon seatpost

$35 Smokin' deal on a 30.9, 400mm at PricePoint. [url=http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Easton/Easton-EC70-Zero-400mm-30-9-White-Logo-Seatpost.axd]Easton EC70 Zero 400mm 30.9 White Logo Seatpost | Easton | Brand | www.PricePoint.com[/url]Read More »

Easton EC70 Carbon bars

At blue sky: [url]https://www.blueskycycling.com/product3043_41_-Easton-EC70-XC-Carbon-Handlebar-2012.htm[/url] [url]https://www.blueskycycling.com/product7108_41_-Easton-EC70-XC-Carbon-Handlebar-2013.htm[/url] Pretty good prices for a nice bar.Read More »

Easton EC70 carbon seatposts on sale, Performance

Performance Bike has a few diameters and lengths on sale, and today it's an extra 10% off. [url=http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1119400_-1___]Easton EC70 Zero Setback 400mm Seatpost -- Closeout - Performance Sales Exclusions[/url] is one example.Read More »

Easton EC70 Carbon post bolt torque spec.

Anyone has the torque spec for the Easton EC70 Carbon seatpost bolt (Bolt that tightens the post to the frame) ? I looked all over the Easton website and they don't specify the torque spec.Read More »

Easton EC70 Carbon Bars .... $65

Picked up one of these. Niice, flat carbon bars. $65 to your door. [URL="http://www.departmentofgoods.com/sales/EAS0004/Easton-EC70-XC-Handlebar.html"]http://www.departmentofgoods.com/sales/EAS0004/Easton-EC70-XC-Handlebar.html[/URL] Cheers:thumbsup:Read More »