Easton Easton EA 50 Seatpost

2.55/5 (29 Reviews)

Made from Eeaston EA50 Cold-forged aluminum. A very reasonable price for legendary Easton quality.

Submitted by Thomaz

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2014

Strengths:    Lightweight and good looks

Weaknesses:    Bolt snapped during a ride after only 2 years of very light use. Pretty lame

Bottom Line:
Stay away, the experience of having the post fail during a ride is one you dont want to go through. I had to pedal standing up for 20 miles of rough terrain. Not nice

Submitted by SEan

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2013

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Bolt sheared off, then the replacement bolt sheared off... I bought a new seat post.

Bottom Line:
I use my bike primarily for city commuting. The bolt sheared off entering the street from the bike path. Bad design if so many bolts shear.

Submitted by kenthecook a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2010

Strengths:    Lasted for 7 years, original equip on SC superlight.

Weaknesses:    Bolt sheared after 7 seasons, new bolt sheared again 4 weeks later, on the 1st ride after a 40 mi race. After reading the reviews of all the sheared bolts, I decided to get a new post. Found a Ritchey WCS alloy on sale at Performance. I'm lucky that I didn't get injured on either of those bolts breaking.

Bottom Line:
The new models have 2 bolts. Obviously they saw the one bolt design was flawed.

Favorite Trail:   New Elm Creek

Bike Setup:   SC superlight, SRAM XO, American Classic, Avid

Submitted by L a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2009

Weaknesses:    Seat post bolt.

Bottom Line:
The seat post bolt snapped while road riding. I spoke with a friend with the same seat post, the same thing happened to him only a few months ago. I see the new EA50 post uses two bolts. I'm now wary of the other Eaton components on my XTC2

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC2

Submitted by ceejayvee a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2008

Strengths:    NONE

Weaknesses:    VERY WEAK, BOLT SHEARED, ZERO CUSTOMER SERVICE

Bottom Line:
The bolt that holds it all together sheared, and this was just going to and from work in London, two miles each way. No jumps/drops or anything even remotely hardcore, not even XC riding.

I tried to contact Easton several times, they blanked me, even though I was only after a replacement bolt.

NEVER BUY EASTON PRODUCTS AGAIN AS MY EA70 BAR WAS AS TUFF AS TIN FOIL AND IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EASTON IGNORE YOU. Raceface is better put together

Similar Products Used:   Raceface, Bianchi

Bike Setup:   Bianchi, Marzocchi MXC ECC, Hope XC/Sapim Race/317, LX train, XT Discs, RF post n bar, On-One stem

Submitted by Steve Wientge a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2008

Strengths:    Asthetics

Weaknesses:    The weakness is that it's weak

Bottom Line:
After bending the OEM Titec and a Bontrager, I bought the Easton (based on their propaganda/marketing) to stop the bleeding. Well, no luck as the post bent after one two hour ride. I then bought a Thomson, and five years later it's still good to go. I hacksawed the EA50 above the bend last night and put it on my road commuter bike. I figure it will survive its new role.

Favorite Trail:   Loch Raven

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey,Titec,Thomson,Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Bianchi BUSS single speed. WTB tires and rims, Paul hubs, Titec bar and stem, Race Face crank, Manitou fork

Submitted by James C a Cross Country Rider from Tri-Cities, WA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight; painted ruler; set back

Weaknesses:    Seat clamp bolt

Bottom Line:
It must be a design issue because I also have broken the seat clamp bolt twice! Once in a race and again just on a downhill section of trail. The bolt simply sheared in two.

This is a big confidence loser, you don't want to have a catastrophic failure on the seat post bolt! I weigh a bit over 180 lbs. Easton may need to redesign the seat clamp to use more than one bolt.

Other than this LARGE issue the seat post is good, it does what it's supposed to do.

Purchased At:   Internet

Bike Setup:   Giant Xtc hardtail; WTB Rocket saddle

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2007

Strengths:    Looks nice. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    Stock post is too small for stock frame, needs shim (not really seatpost fault). Bolt holding seat on may or may not randomly snap.

Bottom Line:
Dumped me on the side of the trail after the bolt holding the seat on snapped. Easton in Canada didn't seem too concerned when I called them on the way back from my urologist. I'll see what the LBS says...

The trail was an ordinary XC type trail, and I was just sitting in through a fast corner - nothing fancy, no big drops. I weigh 165.

Favorite Trail:   Ingolf

Purchased At:   Olympia

Bike Setup:   2004 Giant NRS2 with skareb super fork, dragonfly ti saddle

Submitted by NJP a Weekend Warrior from Mission Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2007

Strengths:    It holds the seat to your bike.

Weaknesses:    The bolt that holds the seat to the seatpost is junk at best.

Bottom Line:
I bought my Giant VT and the Easton 50 came stock. I rode the bike for 2 years and during the Counting Coup Race in 06 the bolt that holds the seat to the seatpost broke with about 20 miles let to ride. I called Easton and they sent me a warranty replacement. I put the replacement back on and again last night after a year of riding the bolt broke again. I was going pretty slow down a technical section and was using the seat for leverage and then bam, let's just say this time my future offspring took a beating when the bolt broke, OUCH! I am a pretty big guy at 6'3 and 236lbs but I don't ride that hard so I would still expect Easton to use good quality hardware in their products. Be careful with this seatpost, if your a big guy, buy something else.

Purchased At:   Came stock on bike

Bike Setup:   2004 Giant VT 2

Submitted by Renato Piereck a Cross Country Rider from Pyeongtaek, South Korea

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, looks nice

Weaknesses:    Slowly and gradually slips down the tube as time goes by even when properly tightened

Bottom Line:
This post serves its purpose well, it is strong and looks good with the bike. I have never had to adjust the saddle position after tightening it, so in this aspect it's perfect. The only problem I have is that this post will slowly and gradually slip down into the seat tube as time passes. I have removed the post, cleaned it and the inside of the seatpost, added a very light bead of loctite and after a few rides the seat starts slipping. I even replaced the seat collar but that didn't help. The slip is not huge and takes days or weeks, depending on the trails I ride, so it's not a major deal... if I ride a trail full of bumps and drops the post will slip maybe 1/4 inch in a day, if I use the bike for commuting only the post may slip 1/4 inch in a week. 5 chilis for value (can't beat used prices at eBay unless you can find it free somewhere) and 4 chilis for the annoying slow slip.

Favorite Trail:   Osan mountain

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Truvativ, Bontrager Race, Bontrager bottom line no name post

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Tarpon heavily modified, LX and XT drivetrain, Deore hydraulic brakes, Easton EA50 stem, handlebar and seatpost, Selle Italia saddle, Rhynolite rims with Shimano silent hubs, KHS 2.1" soft tires

Submitted by Neville Cragg a Downhiller from Cape Town

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2006

Strengths:    Printed seat heights on the tube

Weaknesses:    Soft as butter.

Bottom Line:
I used this post for about an hours worth of riding. I set it to position 1 on the climbs and drop it right down on the downhills. About an hours worth of climbing bent the post a couple of degrees, so I couldnt drop it into the frame anymore. I tried a mountain side fix of panel beating it with a log. It didn't bend straight, it just got squashed into all sorts of shapes and then wouldnt fit into the frame anymore! Complete rubbish!

Favorite Trail:   neville.cragg@telkomsa.net

Purchased At:   Came with Giant Reign 3

Similar Products Used:   BBB Skyscraper

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 3 Stock

Submitted by Ter a Cross Country Rider from Willemstad

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2006

Strengths:    price vs performance ( weight & looks)
i like the offset

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
for an intermediate post it's good. people are whining about the black paint coming loose: if u know how to secure the post you won't have that problem.
people are whining about no micro adjust: if so why did you buy it in the first place.
maybe it's my weight, i'm not that heavy, that i don't have any problems with it

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   kalloy m wings / stock kalin

Bike Setup:   frame : ideal hillmaster, xtr drivetrain, fsa carbon crank, R.Shox SID

Submitted by Paul Smith a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2006

Strengths:    Looks, finish, simplicity

Weaknesses:    Perhaps too much layback for some

Bottom Line:
Can't fault this post. I've used 2 versions of it, one on my old GT frame which worked great for over a year, so I bought another for my XTC custom build. Not the lightest, but does what it says on the tin, easy to adjust, and height indication markers are handy.

Purchased At:   Chainreaction cycles, UK

Similar Products Used:   Various seatposts

Bike Setup:   Customer Giant XTC HT, Marzocchi forks, Mavic wheels, LX drivetrain, Easton Bars.

Submitted by Geoff King a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2006

Strengths:    Came stock with bike.

Weaknesses:    Excessive layback, persistent creaking, poor finish.

Bottom Line:
I tried to get this post to stop creaking, I tried to avoid upgrading something on my brand new bike (having foolishly told my wife the Trance 2 was my dream machine and therefore enabling her to infer I thought it was perfect!) The bottom line is I love riding, and part of the joy of it is having good gear do what it's supposed to do. OK, the Easton post held the saddle in place, but for my long legs the layback meant heaps of saddle rail unsupported, and despite disassembling it and greasing everything in sight, I couldn't stop that #$#^%@ creaking noise. Finally I figured 'I have my dream bike, why not kit it out with my dream post as well' and got my LBS to get me a Thomson. Installed it myself, problem instantly solved.
If you don't have long legs like me and aren't riding full suspension, the EA 50 post might be OK - but I wouldn't recommend buying it as an upgrade. Save for a bit longer and buy a Thomson instead.

Similar Products Used:   Thudbuster post on previous bike (hardtail); numerous generic posts over the years

Bike Setup:   05 Giant Trance 2, now with Thomson post and stem, Hope rear and Hayes front hubs laced to Campag K2 rims, Hope skewers, Crank Bros Egg Beater pedals, Race Face Good n Evil grips, Juicy 5 brakes, SRAM X9 rear mech and X 7 shifters.

Submitted by chuck a Weekend Warrior from madison,oh

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2006

Strengths:    Looks. Believe it or not durability.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet.

Bottom Line:
I honestly think I am one of the lucky ones. These postings really surprised me. So I felt I had to write. This EA 50 seatpost has gone from hucking at White Face and Plattekill to the XC trails wherever I can find one. I can say that this seatpost never slid down into the frame and the seat stayed in its set position. Maybe it has something to do with proper factory torque on the seat clamp? I always try to adhere to factory specs when installing any component. I am looking at purchasing a EA70 post to match my EA 70 handlebars. Hopefully I have just as much luck.

Purchased At:   Jenson