Easton EA 70 Seatpost

Easton EA 70 Seatpost

Submitted by Russ a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2013

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    head design. The bolt pulled through the aluminum head. Time for a new seatpost

Bottom Line:
Got this as an upgrade after replacing the stock Specialized seatpost on an 04' Stumpjumper. The stock seatpost lasted 8 years.

The Easton Aluminum seatpost was much lighter but lasted less than a year. The bolt pulled through the aluminum. It was not dangerous as it happened over a few rides so i knew it was coming. I added a washer but eventually that pulled through too

Back to the stock seatpost for now.

Submitted by GrantB a Cross Country Rider from Macon, Ga

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2012

Strengths:    Weight

Weaknesses:    Clamp mechanism.

Bottom Line:
First it creaked. Cleaned the rails, paid super attention to the torque of the bolts. Then the seat shifted rearward on every ride. Loosened the bolts, retightened to torque spec again. I got the seat to stay put, but then yesterday I snapped the front bolt in the middle of a ride. I only stuck with it this long because it came stock on a new bike. Lke the rider below, I most likely will return to a Thomson.

Favorite Trail:   Arrowhead Park

Similar Products Used:   Thomson

Bike Setup:   Hard tail

Submitted by eastman115 a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2011

Strengths:    Light.

Weaknesses:    Saddle slides, front micro adjust bolt difficult to get at.

Bottom Line:
This post came as original equipment on my bike. Right from the start it didn't grip the rails firmly enough and the saddle slid backward. The micro adjust bolt at the front is difficult to get at. I've had enough and am ordering a Thomson.

Purchased At:   OEM

Submitted by Mr. Holmes a Cross Country Rider from upstate New York

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Strengths:    Light, strong, stiff, 2 bolt adjustability

Bottom Line:
This seat post is very light and stiff. It is noticeably more stiff than my old EA30 seat post.
Looks good and adjusts easily and precisely. "Nuff said.
And I agree, there are a lot of Easton haters here. I've always had a good experience with Easton's products.

Purchased At:   jensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   EA30

Bike Setup:   Easton EA70 monkeybars 30mm rise, Ritchey Wcs-Sl Bar Ends, Easton EA50 stem, Easton EA70 seatpost with 2 bolts for adjustment. Lizard Skin chain stay protector, Shimano pedals, Shimano LX crank set, Cateye Enduro 8 computer

Submitted by Montrose Blur a Cross Country Rider from Montrose CA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2010

Strengths:    Light, strong, superior to older design.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Lots of Easton Haters in here. I purchased the 2010 version of this post. Two bolt design is improved from the old design and is much stronger and easier to adjust. Perfect fit and finish, low key artwork, adjustment lines on the tube, lightweight and a 5 yr warranty, what else do you need? I run Easton wheels and handlebars as well and am very impressed with their products, fit, finish and pricing.... well, the wheels were a little much (Havoc AM)

Favorite Trail:   Chantry/Zion

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Easton EA50

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT2

Submitted by Ignatius Rielly a Weekend Warrior from Alexandria, VA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2009

Bottom Line:
I'm not pleased with the Easton EA-70 seatpost.I wanted to upgrade the seatpost that came with my mtb (GT Avalanche) with a lightweight and higher quality seatpost, so I purchased the EA-70. The pivot on the EA-70 wore out after a couple years of occasional riding, whereas the less-expensive post that came with my GT lasted 4 hard-riding college years (go Hokies!).

A poor investment ($75 wasted). Before I buy again another seatpost I will do my research.

Submitted by Nat a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2007

Strengths:    looks nice,has markings on the back so you can see what height your at .

Weaknesses:    As you will see with the rest of the reviews .I had this seat post 3 months and snapped it jumping my single speed off a gutter(nothing out of the ordinary) . not happy jan .Admittedly I am pretty hard on the gear but not on this occasion .

Bottom Line:
Because the bike industry doesn t have the same quality control procedures with the manufacturing of composites that the Aircraft Industry has , It becomes a bit of a lottery as to wether a part will last and how long it will last for .The characteristics of carbon give no indication of an impending failure as alloy or steel does .I have gone back to quality alloy seat post. I tried to save the weight and paid the price . If your a weight weenie and your building a superlight race weapon this might be your thing ....but no hucking .....

Purchased At:   nowra

Similar Products Used:   any carbon seat post .

Bike Setup:   currently minus ea70 carbon seat post .

Submitted by Sanj a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2007

Strengths:    light, takes a beating

Weaknesses:    single bolt clamp absolutely sucks

Bottom Line:
i've busted my collarbone riding, complete 180'd the bike and the seatpost didn't break. however, just recently ollied the bike from a 3 foot skinny and bent the seatpost. i'm 160lbs and i'm impressed that i didn't crack the seatpost and end up with it in my a**!!!! could use a dual-bolt clamp since some of my accidents have caused the clamp to strip and my seat sits on an off angle.

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills, Bolton, Ontario

Purchased At:   came stock on bike

Similar Products Used:   none for mountain, only road.

Bike Setup:   xc hardtail

Submitted by Ben a Downhiller from Oakland CA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    As .1 lbs heavier than its carbon twin yet a ton stronger. Clamping mechanism works well. All those people below just have to tighten it more. Never creaks (PUT SOME GREASE ON IT!)

Weaknesses:    Only that the decals wear easily but if your seat is clamped that low in your tube where it hits the decals, you probably need a smaller frame. Works Great!

Bottom Line:
BUY. GOOD PRICE. WORTH IT!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Cinderella

Purchased At:   Hank and Frank

Similar Products Used:   Aluminum stock junko, Race Face XC

Bike Setup:   Bighit with 888, vanilla r, DH bike

Submitted by Will a Racer from Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    +Looked 'cool' at first...especially when you've got a full Easton cockpit (I know that sounds lame, but I'm not the only one who thought so...come on...)

Weaknesses:    -Bolt loosened on my first ride...I was riding to work!!
-The 'graphics' are just about gone!! I've had this less than 2 weeks!!
-Really on the heavy side (before I trimmed it)
-Clamping it into any shop-stand (no matter how padded it is) can seem to mess with the finish
-The setback can really mess with your riding geometry. I'm short, so I had to push the seat up super far to make it work.

Bottom Line:
It's a good thing I bought this with a gift certificate to REI or else I would be really upset. I don't like to feel like I'm wasting my money so I was down that this post didn't really work out.

Without trying to sound to superficial, I can't believe the 'graphics' rubbed off so soon! They feel like those waterslide decals you use for building models...

Easton 'dropped the ball' here with this latest incarnation of the EA70 series. I'm sure their focus is on all the new EC stuff and CNT business.

Buy a Thomson...you won't be sorry...

I've got one on another bike and will either do that or buy an SDG I-Beam seatpost. You can't beat their adjustability and weight. Peace.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Thomson Elite, Kalloy, Ritchey Comp, Weyless, Forte Carbon, Forte Alum, Sun Ringle, and so on...

Bike Setup:   Hard-tail xc racer...use your imagination...

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Essex, UK

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2006

Strengths:    Looks nice???

Weaknesses:    Single bolt adjustment - just doesn't hold the saddle in place, had to re-adjust it every 30mins on first ride out.

Bottom Line:
I sent it back within one week and exchanged for a Thompson Elite, there is no comparison between these.
Easton make quality products but this isn't one of them.

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Thompson Elite

Bike Setup:   Banshee Scirorro, Moz Z1 Freeride, Hayes HFX9s, Saint crankset, Easton bars/stem, Deore/XT groupset etc etc

Submitted by Jay Pelletier a Racer from Reston VA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, holds seat well ~ Does not loosen - price is right

Bottom Line:
I have the EA70 on both of my bikes ~ never failed me - Several 24hr races under their belts and heavy aggress use.

Favorite Trail:   Elizabeth Furnace

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   many stock and aluminum seat post

Bike Setup:   06' Trek Fuel 8,American Classic rims,

Submitted by Umar a Cross Country Rider from Petaling Jaya

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2006

Strengths:    Relatively light and easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    It cracked

Bottom Line:
I got the 31.6mm. Used it for 2 epic rides, 1 race and several weekends rides for 2 months. The shaft connecting the head is slightly smaller in diameter and there was the crack.

Currently, I'm with my generic seatpost.
I'm now looking for Thompson Elite or Bontrager Race Lite.

Similar Products Used:   Raceface XY

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC, Giant NRS-G, KHS XC904R

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Arlington Heights, IL, US

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Strengths:    Looked pretty cool for the first few months before the wear started showing.

Weaknesses:    Weak. It broke after a year of use. The adjustment mechanism is not great.

Bottom Line:
Disappointing catastrophic failure. The seat flew off after I landed a minor jump along a XC trail. Granted, I probably hit the seat pretty hard, but there was no bend, no warning, just a snap and the silver head along with the attached seat flew right off the post. I don't think I will by an Easton seat post again. I guess it would probably do the job for careful XC use, but what fun is that?

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler w/ Manitou Swinger 3way and Nixon Super +, DT Swiss EX 5.1d rims, King hub, XT crank etc...

Submitted by Jared Wood from Delhi, NY,USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    Gauges

Weaknesses:    I've ridden bike my 5 times and the post has already started to creak. OH! Crap!

Bottom Line:
Not sure what to do about the creaking, it drives me nuts! Maybe lock tight? If this eerie sound doesn't stop, I'l have to get a new post. My frame is made of Easton Ultralite, and it rocks, so I can't get too upset.

Favorite Trail:   Any Catskill Mtn Powerline

Bike Setup:   '05 Kona Kula

Easton EA 70 XC 29er wheelset?

This is a cross-post from the Giant forum, thought I'd give it a try here as well... I have an 2011 Anthem X3 29er and am looking at replacing the stock wheelset with these...any info or opinions? Nashbar currently has the wheelset reduced to $335 with possibly another 20% off, sounds like a grea ... Read More »

Easton EA 70 XC 29er wheelset?

I have an 2011 Anthem X3 29er and am looking at replacing the stock wheelset with these...any info or opinions? Nashbar currently has the wheelset reduced to $335 with possibly another 20% off, sounds like a great deal. Any body runnin the EA 70's? Thanks! bdubRead More »

Easton EA 70 XC thoughts on these ?

I wonder if these decent and if the are enough wheel for my weight (200lbs)? I couldn't seem to find any specs on rider weight. Just mild riding with nothin to radical, guess they call it XC these days. Terrain is So. Cal.Read More »

Easton EA-70 riserbar $29

I came across this deal after month's search for an affordable handlebar upgrade: They have almost all rises and diameters available (except 31.8 mid-rise) After shipping and tax in California is $35ish. received in two days, can't be happier! [url]http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HB294 ... Read More »

Weird Easton EA 70 bar variance

I bought an EA 70 that is thicker on one end than the other. My disc brake lever and shifters won't tighten down on the left side of the bar. Very weird. Anyone else ever experience this? JayboRead More »