Easton CT2 Seatpost Seatpost

3.3/5 (116 Reviews)

Easton CT2 Seatpost

Submitted by Q a Cross Country Rider from Northern VA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, very light, interesting clamp design

Weaknesses:    Easy to scratch, kind of exspensive, but half what some of their top of the line carbon posts go for now...

Bottom Line:
When I bought this years back there was a lot of buzz around Easton's carbon bars and posts, and it was all quite positive in terms of the strength and feather weight properties of this miracle material. I made the plunge for their mountain post and haven't regretted it yet. My saddle had uneven rails (I got it from a friend who didn't like its lopsided feel on his post) and this post solved the problem flawlessly. I also learned to grease the clamp bolts to keep it from creaking, and the finish is delicate compared (just be careful installing carbon posts into metal frames) to metal components, but beyond these minor details I quickly grew to love it.

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Generic post that came with bike

Bike Setup:   Hardtail

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Waterloo

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2006

Strengths:    Better than good

Bottom Line:
Follow-up to my previous review....after 1000kms...

Want a good post that's light get this one. There is a reason to buy carbon..it's light and it dampens vibrations. I've ridden it in 30 degree and below zero temperature without issue. My advice, buy it from a shop and get them to help you set it up (sure it's a seatpost) but just about everyone fails to oil the bolts that clamp onto the rails (don't oil the rails just the bolts). That emliminates the squeking you hear people complaining about. I'm 6" and weigh 210 lbs and this thing is solid. The seat doesn't move, the bolts are easy to tighten and the allen bolt has a nice depth so you can really get the key in there. My only complaint is the finish, for the price of the post the finish should be more durable. I take my post off frequently to put my bike in the trunk, if you don't take the post out often then it won't be an issue.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Hard-tails

Submitted by Mark Todd a Weekend Warrior from Zululand

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2005

Strengths:    Vert light post, seat clamp works well, damps vibration

Weaknesses:    The glue on the aluminium head broke loose on mine, never actually came right off, but started making creaking noises. If you're very heavy (100kg plus) rather get something aluminium that will bend rather than break.

Bottom Line:
It failed, but only after 2 years use, and Easton replaced it free of charge, which I think is great back up service. A special thanks to Fanie at Zululand cyles for organising the replacement. The bike was not bought from them, but he still came through and arranged the warranty replacement. Support your local shop and they'll support you!!

Purchased At:   came with SC Blur

Similar Products Used:   Race Face, Icon

Bike Setup:   SC Blur

Submitted by Tony Senger a Weekend Warrior from New Berlin, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, good stiffness, absorbs higher frequency stuff pretty good

Weaknesses:    The clamping system is a little on the weak side and creeked badly (until oiled regularly). Carbon post left untouched in my frame for 2 years require Super Hero efforts to remove!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that Carbon saves weight and that's about the only good thing that can be said on this post. The clamping mechanism on this post is not really all that robust and slipped several times on me as well as being squeaky. Also, the biggest gripe I have is how terribly siezed up my post got into my frame. If you plan on using Carbon be VERY wary. Mine was in the frame for 2 years without moving and to get it out took HUGE efforts and actually ended up damaging the post. Very dissappointing in the big picture to have a post that performed OK but then was a miserable failure when trying to move it or get it out of the bike.

Favorite Trail:   The Connector @ S. Kettle Moraine

Purchased At:   On line somewhere!?!

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, FSA, American Classic, On-One

Bike Setup:   '01 Tomac 78 Special, SRAM 9.0SL, Truvativ Stylo Crankset & BB, Rockshox Judy SL, WTB saddle, King Hubs laced Mavic223's running Stan's No-Tubes

Submitted by Fred Sled a Weekend Warrior from Spawn Ranch, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2005

Strengths:    Light, stiff, strong, looks cool, matches the easton bars.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness is the surface, it's composite coated with some kind of clearcoat, or course it's going to scratch, and it can be easily damaged by smacking into rocks. Try cleaning and lightly sanding the inside of your seat tube to remove any grit, burs or other debris before installing the post.

Bottom Line:
Excellent product. I had some creaking issues with a Ti railed seat, a spot of grease took care of it for good.

The bottom line is, if you like parts that look cool and do their job too, this is a nice upgrade. As far as the finish goes, I've seen tons of aluminum posts with a damaged finish too. If you prep the frame properly and keep the clamp tight enough so the post doesn't slip, you should have no problems at all. In the real world a $5 post from Wal-mart would serve the same purpose, but, when a decent frame runs well over $500 why would you put a $5 post in it?

Does anyone who posted they snapped one of these posts have a picture they can share? Click my name and email me. Did you follow the minimum insertion marks?

If you can find one of these posts in the classifieds here for a decent price, buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Your Mother

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, Kalloy, Robinson, GT, Uni, etc, etc.

Bike Setup:   I have these posts on two bikes.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Waterloo

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2005

Strengths:    Light
Instructions (essential)

Weaknesses:    Finish is horrible

Bottom Line:
Who the hell reads instructions for a seat post? I should have...blamed post for slipping and squeeking until I actually read the instructions. If I had read the instructions in the first place I would end the review right here and say it's a great post. From my experience it is absolutely crucial to remove all grease from inside inside the seat tube, I bought my bike used and couldn't believe how much grease was in there (previous owner had a grease fetish?), I ended up using comet and a tooth brush. Don't just wipe the inside or twirl a rag into it. Clean out your damn seat post tube! You can stop cleaning once you can stick paper towel in there and it comes out without grease.
Strength; I weigh 215 and use it on the trails without any problem. I'll wait for it to break before I believe reviews that say I shouldn't use it. I was cruising thru the downtown park and saw a nice grassy hill to jump off, I was wearing flip-flops and my feet slipped off the pedals...landed right on the seat post and it didn't break. Post flexes a little but not too much.Possible saddle adjustments are great; point seat down to about a 30 degree angle and up as well (if you're into that sort of thing. No saddle movement, snug and reliable.
Weakness; The finish is fragile, but this only affects the part that goes into tube. It should be better quality.
Summary; It's no hassle to install, sure a seat post is no-brainer but it's not that bad. IF you're buying carbon then biking is probably important to you and spending time on your bike is a given. I have put about 1000km's on this post.
Recommendation; don't buy the post if spending a half-hour is too much time to spend on an install (clean seat tube and grease saddle bolts) and if you worry that carbon is weak. The post does flex so you'll never feel comfortable on it. Face it, this post is for weight weenies, why else buy it?

Favorite Trail:   scenic

Similar Products Used:   First carbon post I've had

Bike Setup:   F700 hardtail
Heavy rider

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Mannheim

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2005

Strengths:    Lightweight, looks high-tech

Weaknesses:    Seatbolts creak and need to be tightened a lot.

Bottom Line:
After I bought the post it started creaking fairly early in the game. Then I greasaed the bolts and the creak was gone forever ...kinda weird... Havent had any other performance problems as far as breaking. It absorbs shocks very nively and has a snappy feel on a hardtail. I've heard of all the stories of the post breaking. I would only use it for XC (although I slam it around too but I'm failry lightweight (160lbs.
--This is NOT a freeride product. Unless you crave hospital food.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Rock Ranch

Purchased At:   Cambriabike

Similar Products Used:   all sorts of aluminum posts

Bike Setup:   XC-Hardtail

Submitted by Lucifer a Cross Country Rider from Apeldoorn, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight,does not slip.

Weaknesses:    Easily scratched, be careful with seatclamp

Bottom Line:
Easton CT2 seatpost gives the bike a good look and above all good comfort.

Bike Setup:   Focus Hot Venus, Truvativ crank, XT pulley's XT cassette,Avid SD Ti V-Brakes, Magnum R fork, Syntace VRO, Cane Creek, Selle Italia Flite Ti.

Submitted by Naly Randrianarivelo a Cross Country Rider from Bagshot, Surrey, UK

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    Lightest post I've ever ridden. Also the most comfortable. I ride a full sus and the carbon brings extra flex so I can set up my rear shock a bit harder. Took one ride to bed in and never moved since then even if riding pretty hard on it.

Weaknesses:    It's scary the way it gets easily scratched.

Bottom Line:
I really love this post but I worry a bit about the scratches. I'd better purchase another same one (as a back up). Only 4 chillies for the piece of mind (or the lack of it)

Favorite Trail:   Swinley Forest & Leith Hill (Surrey)

Similar Products Used:   USE alien Carbon (a nightmare)

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC NRS. Marz Marathon S, Mavic x317 on hope xc hubs,Formula B4 Team, Easton CT2 MonkeyLite handlebar, Sam Marc

Submitted by Somxay a Racer from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    Light and strong

Weaknesses:    Carbon fiber scrathes easily and it shows

Bottom Line:
I have used the CT2 seatpost on all my bikes and loved them. I have no problem of ridding really heard on them. Easton makes the strongest carbons around. I have used Easton's Monkeylite XC, CT2 and SL and never had a problem with them. But they do scratch easily, but take care of them and they will do the same and try not to crash or fall. Easton products holds up great and they make great products. If you are looking for a light wieght seatpost, this is the one.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Team Vertex SC, XTR, Crossmax UST, Sid Race, 21 LBS race bike.

Submitted by E a Downhiller from Honolulu

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Strengths:    LIGHT, CHEAP(ALLWAYS ON SALE NOW)

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I AM PRETTY HARD ON MY BIKE. OTHERS ARE HARDER ON THEIRS. I HAD A 200# FRIEND THAT WIPES OUT HARD ON EVERY RIDE WITH EASTON CARBON PRODUCTS AND HE INSPIRED ME. I WAS WEARY AND STILL AM CONCERNED BUT NO PROBLEMS YET.

Purchased At:   RAGING ISLE

Similar Products Used:   XTR

Bike Setup:   FETISH,STYLO,MRP,DORADO,MONKEY LIGHT XC,HAYES,321s,XTR

Submitted by Te Man a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, CA

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    questionable reliability, crappy clamp

Bottom Line:
The clamp creaked a bunch,So I greased rails, then my seat slipped. Finally I crashed and bent the tabs that hold the seat in so that they would no longer hold the seat at all. I shimmed it out with aluminum can strips and the seat no longer creaks/slips.
I don't think carbon fiber has a place in Mountain Biking, it scratches too easily and is weakened greatly. I also have monkey lite bars, which are scratched. I haven't broken either product, but I don't have peace of mind when I ride. Don't think I'll ever go carbon for seat post or bar again, despite the weight savings.
-1 turd for peace of mind, -1 for crappy clamp

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   alum. stuff

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Richardson, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Strengths:    Lite weight, absorbs vibration, feels good in your hand and looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Scratches easy if you readjust much.

Bottom Line:
I've had no problems w/this post. This is my first season to ride w/it on a Mt. Tam. hardtale. When I started I weighted 223lbs. and have had some brutal wipeouts it was really put through a alot of abuse. Down to 198lbs. now and fewer crashes. Bottom line is I just ordered a new Salty from Mad Duck and spec'd it w/a Thomp. Elite and changed it to the new EC70 post I think this post looks bad to the bone and I know this is obsene but it feels great in my hand.

Favorite Trail:   Northshore

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager lite.

Bike Setup:   Ventana Salty, Fox Float 100RL, Chris King/317, Next LP, XTR, Thompson Stem, EC90 Flatbar, Chris King Patriot, Hope Mini's, Mutano Raptor 2.4, SLR.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from TX

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2002

Strengths:    looks cool, light, good vibration dampening

Weaknesses:    clamp sucked! Post snapped!!

Bottom Line:
I liked this post even though I never could get the clamp to stop squeaking. Supposedly the newer version has addressed this problem? I'm still waiting to see if Easton is going to warantee the post. If not, I'll never do business with them again. The customer service guy told my hook-up at the shop that I probably overtightened it!! To that I say bull$hit. I always used a torque wrench and never overtightened the thing!! I will say that the post broke well, meaning that it wasn't catastrophic. I at first thought I broke a rail on my saddle. Bottom line, for the price of this post it should last longer than a year! If and when they send me my new post, I'm going to turn around and sell it, then buy a Moots Ti post and be done with it.