Dean USA Titanium Ultra Lite Seatpost

4.6/5 (42 Reviews)

• Cold Worked U.S. 3/2.5 seamless radial titanium.
  • CNC Machined 6061-T6 Aluminum head with single pinch bolts for infinate adjustability
  • 6/4 titaium bolts
  • Sizes 27.2 x 330mm, 350mm, 400mm
  • Colors Silver, Black, Red, Blue, Gold

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Bracknell

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2006

Strengths:    Light, easy to use.

Weaknesses:    None so far - I pulled the stickers off myself :)

Bottom Line:
I use this bike off road and around town. Not overly worried about weight, but it is nice to have something easy to carry up stairs and doesn't weigh a ton on the hills :)

Purchased At:   Direct from Dean

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Iboc, Bontrager.

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel. This weeks setup: Back to old school Hope M4 front disc, Avid Black Ops Rear, Brookes Ti Saddle, Hope hubs, XT deraileurs, Race Face Cranks, Mavic 717 rims, V12 pedals, Marzocchi Mountain SL forks.

Submitted by DCW from GERMANY

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2005

Strengths:    titanium, made in US, Light

Weaknesses:    The sticker came off

Bottom Line:
This is for the ULTRA-LITE Seatpost.

DEAN threw it in for free when I ordered my frame. Fits perfect and has great shock absorbing properties and at 210g for a 27.2 its really light. I really cant complain, it was a freebie. Probably wont ever have to buy another frame or post again.

Purchased At:   DEAN DIRECT

Similar Products Used:   Syncros carbon, Kore, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Dean Colonel X-lite XTR etc etc

Submitted by Jay Ho a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2005

Strengths:    All the benefits of Ti. Weight, strength, liveliness, bling...

Weaknesses:    Decals are just cheap stickers which are now scraped off. They looked terrible after a few wet rides. Same thing with their handlebars.,

Bottom Line:
I had this on my DEAN and it was great. Recently moved it onto my carbon roadie to give some life to a very stiff frame. It's a nice seat post. I weigh approx. 200lbs which makes a stiff road frame unbearable after a long period, especially coming of FS mountain bikes. It's a little heavy b/c I have the long MTB version and never cut it down even though I do not need all that post, but that's my bad choice. Anything Ti is pricey but this post is a value compared ti other reputable Ti manufacturer.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell

Similar Products Used:   Easton, Thompson

Bike Setup:   Was on my DEAN Ace. Moved it over to my carbon road bike.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Park City, UT

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2005

Strengths:    Light. Excellent at absorbing vibration and small bumbs. Looks cool. Decent seat rail clamp.

Weaknesses:    It broke at the seat tube clamp.

Bottom Line:
I raced this post for two years on my rigid single speed and it did a terrific job of soaking up the small stuff. It was a 27mm x 410mm and I ran it pretty high, but within the height limit. I weigh 195 dry, so I definitely pushed it's limits and my friends were always amazed how much the post flexed without bending. I guess I finally put it through enough fatigue cycles and cleanly broke right at the seat tube collar clamp. It was nice while it lasted, but I'm getting a Thomson for the added security even if it costs me some comfort on the long hauls. I'd recommend this post for lighter riders on hardtails because it really does soak up the bumps. I would not recommend it for 200 lb guys.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Similar Products Used:   Thomson, bontrager, Kalloy, others

Bike Setup:   full rigid single speed

Submitted by Kyle Johnson a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2003

Strengths:    -Ti dampens high frequency low amplitude bumps
-Never once did it slip down the seattube
-good adjustability at the seatclamp

Weaknesses:    -Clamp never really held seat rails very tight
-Barrel (swivel) nuts on clamp needed replacement
-Ti tubing Doesn't hold up well to aggressive Clydesdale riders

Bottom Line:
After 4.5 years of abuse on my hardtail, this seatpost finally gave up the ghost. I'm suprised that it lasted this long since it developed a noticeable bend within the first month of use. Fully dressed, I weigh in at approx. 220 lbs and clearly from day one this seatpost was not designed for my weight or power. The Ti tubing (27.2 mm OD) is rather thin and flexy and it developed a fatique fracture at the seattube/seatpost interface. I don't know how long this went unnoticed, but I replaced it right away. Dean's Ti seatpost did in fact absorbed small bumps and improved overall feel and comfort, but I had more problems than I would have liked. Other problems included: 1) broken barrel nuts on the clamp (which was a direct result of the next problem) and 2) I could never get the clamp tight enough as my seat would slide back on the seat rails after punishing seated climbs. I have no doubt that this is a good (if not a great) seatpost for MOST MTBikers, but if you're a powerful clydesdale rider like me may the buyer beware. Withstanding the problems I had, this seatpost never stranded me in the woods in 4.5 years of service -- so I will give it an average grade. Ride-On ;)

Purchased At:   Dean USA auction website

Similar Products Used:   IRD AL (still my favorite)
Control Tech AL (should be outlawed)
Thompson Elite AL (the jury is still out)

Bike Setup:   99 Litespeed Ocoee Ti hardtail, XTR Drivetrain, Hope Mini discs, King hubs and headset, Z-2 Atom Race, Kore Elite stem, Thompson seatpost.

Submitted by Kam a Cross Country Rider from L.A, Ca

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2003

Strengths:    nice clamp
it's ti, very nice dampening
nice brushed finish

Weaknesses:    maybe weight
those weak decals, laser etching would be nice!

Bottom Line:
very nice seatpost. there's alot of opinions out here on wether ti and carbon post offer dampening of ride...after riding this post, i believe ti does. this isa great post, takes alot of the sharpness of bumps out, reasonable weight, nce clamp...all that good stuff. for the price i paid, it's awesome. if you're looing for a nice ti post with a nice clamp, you cannot go wrong with this post.

Favorite Trail:   Chino Hills St. Park-East Fence Line

Purchased At:   new on an eBay auction, where else at this price???

Similar Products Used:   thomson post
easton carbon post

Bike Setup:   custom steel singlespeed by peyto cycles, pace rc31 fork...a mix if alot of other stuff

Submitted by Wade a Racer from Woodbury (I moved)

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2003

Strengths:    Ti, works great, lasts long.

Weaknesses:    logo, weight--but ya'll knew that already.

Bottom Line:
This is an update. I reviewed this post on 6/9/99 not long after I got it. It really took the edge of the Ti HT. Sold that bike. Popped it into the Turner (in 99) and haven't touched it since. Seat is still right where I put it. No noise--no problems.

Mine is the old D-E-A-N down the post logo and when the "a" and the "n" got to looking crappy, I just rubbed the "EAN" off. The "D" still looks jest fine.

Don't suppose I'm really benefitting from the flexibility with the 4-bar doing all the work. Maybe I should try an Al post just to see--but then why bother?

The Ti post and Ti saddle rails do help the ride on HT's.

Favorite Trail:   it's all good

Purchased At:   one of the big discount houses?

Similar Products Used:   OEM al. My first aftermarket Ti. I do have a Thomson in the Roadie.

Bike Setup:   Turner o2

Submitted by Shinske a Weekend Warrior from Fremont, NE

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Strengths:    strong and reinforced

Weaknesses:    stickers not a good idea for a seatpost

Bottom Line:
Great post, i luckily got a great deal on it, otherwise i probably would have purchased something less pricy. i lucked out, but would still recomend this post to anyone who is willing to pay for it.

Favorite Trail:   hormel park

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   huffy crap

Bike Setup:   WTB threadless, RaceFace Prodigy XC crank, Avid Dial 7 levers, Avid Arch Rival brakes, Shimano XT 9spd rapid fire shifters, Onza Bar Ends, XT 9spd cassette, XTR rear deraillure, Rock Shox SID XC, ROOX Bomber 4.0 bars, ROOX Slambar (for added strength in the bar), Yeti Hardcore grips, XTR hubs (front and back), Sun Rhyno Lite front rim, WTB Paradigm rear rim, XT front deraillure, Shinske Custom Aluminum Frame

Submitted by jas from utah

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2001

Strengths:    easy two bolt adjustment, like the syncros

Bottom Line:
ya gotta love the flex. I wanted a little softer hardtail so I got this post. I've had it for over a year with no problems. I think I paid about 66.00 for it. It may be a little heavier than my syncros, but its worth it to me to have the extra flex. I weigh 185

Similar Products Used:   syncros, the good one

Bike Setup:   ti frame, xtr crank, sram 9.0, avid, etc

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln NE

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2001

Strengths:    Seems like the only answer for a strong/long MTB post. Nice ride.

Weaknesses:    a 400mm post should be 400mm not 370mm. If the frame never cracks then never mind.

Bottom Line:
Good seatpost, fair price, easy company to deal with (despite cumbersome web site), should measure 400mm.

Favorite Trail:   Any auto-free zone

Purchased At:   Dean USA

Similar Products Used:   Logic, Kalloy, Campy, whatever came stock on numerous bikes.

Bike Setup:   2001 Schwinn Moab 2, Kore bar (shortened 2"), Nashbar bar ends, assorted grips, dingbell, BAL (Big Ass Light)

Submitted by Steve Cassaday a Cross Country Rider from Winsted,Ct USA

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Strengths:    Ti quality. Very nice quality seat clamp

Weaknesses:    Claimed weight 195 grams. actual weight is 255 g.If your a weight freak,get the Easton Carbon and deal with the clamp !

Bottom Line:
Nice piece of equipment but not claimed weight. You make the call.

Purchased At:   Cambria bike

Similar Products Used:   Easton Carbon , Zoom Micro

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jekell, easton carbon bar , sram 9.0sl , real ultimate bb , crossmax wheels ,

Submitted by Mark Hinman from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2001

Strengths:    Logo (they fixed it)
Ti compliant ride quality.
Craftsmanship, the clamp is beautifully machined and allows a little more seatback than the Thomson.

Weaknesses:    I would have liked a black seatpost.

Bottom Line:
I had to use a Cane Creek shim to get this seatpost 27.2mm into a 31.6mm seattube, but it was well worth it, because the Thomson that it replaced was way too rigid. Putting this seatpost provides most of the compliance of a suspended seatpost without the excess travel. BTW the logo is now a 2 char by 2 char square DE/AN that is at the very top of the seatpost were it is not touched by the saddle bag straps, which I suspect why so many people were losing the decal.

Purchased At:   Cambria