Crank Brothers Joplin Seatpost

3.27/5 (74 Reviews)

Crank Brothers Joplin Adjustable Seatpost with Remote provides 75mm range. Lever mounts under the saddle. With this seatpost you are able to change seat height without having to get off the bike.

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Strengths:    My first ever adjustable seat post and when it works its bloody great. It's so nice to be able to drop the seat even a little way when tackling some of the larger and wilder sections of track which gets it out of the way.

Weaknesses:    Unfortunately as others have indicated it is not robust or durable. For a weekend warrior it does not get a massive workout however I am about to send it back for its 3rd warranty claim. Post leaks oil and once this starts it will no longer hold rider weight and gradually compresses right to the bottom limit. The seat post is not even serviceable by rider or local bike store which sucks. Even under warranty Jetblack Products ( Australian service agents) want me to pay for postage there and back when their product is not doing what it claims to do! Cost to fix is $30 with about the same postage-they recommend 2 times per year....blah!

Bottom Line:
Overall I would not rate this particular model. You buy a product to do a job and this post lets you down. Unfortunately I am hooked on an adjustable seat so will have to lash out and buy another - possibly specialised or Rock Shox model.

Favorite Trail:   Dwar

Duration Product Used:   1-2 years

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 2011

Submitted by the-one1

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2013

Strengths:    Up and down action is smooth and did what it was advertised to do. It was great....when it worked

Weaknesses:    If it's not leaking air, its sloppy side to side.
Expect it to leak.

Bottom Line:
I got one season out of this (Joplin 4R). The seal in the air chamber up by the actuator started leaking air. You can hear it when the post is moved up and down. CB wants $50 to fix it. Screw that. The hydraulic locking still works, so instead of automatically going up at the push of the remote, I have to use my other hand or my thighs to lift it. I can't sell it as it's broken, I can't bin it because I paid too much for a seat post. I'll learn to live with it.
I think it would have been a better post if they used a metal spring instead of air. And it would be even better if CB sells the tools to take apart the air/oil valve inside.

Submitted by Mike a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2012

Strengths:    It's a drop post.

Weaknesses:    Zero durability. Only Crank Brothers can perform maintenance on it (for a fee, plus shipping and handling).

Bottom Line:
I bought the post based on CrankBro's reputation and my enjoyment of their pedals. It was my first drop post and therefore I loved it to death. 3 months and 3 weeks after purchase, it started leaking oil and began compressing/sagging. That's right - it worked properly for LESS THAN 4 MONTHS.

It sags up to two inches in hotter weather which is an issue since I live outside of Moab. Shipped it to CB and they told me it would cost $50 to service *unless it was less than a year old and I still had the receipt. Fortunately my bike shop reprinted the receipt so all I paid was shipping plus many days without a seat post. They also made sure to generously include an offer to upgrade to their newest and most expensive model for a price... it felt like they want you to buy a new post from them on an annual basis and therefore have major built-in obsolescence.

Also interesting is that CB "suggests" annual maintenance be performed on it when - conveniently - THEY are the only people authorized/able to do it. So the bottom line is that I "suggest" you NOT buy this product and make sure nobody you know does either. CB makes some good stuff, but the Joplin4 is not included in that grouping.

Submitted by BigHeirtz a All Mountain Rider from Soouthwest, CO - U.S.

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2012

Strengths:    Fun for a minute

Weaknesses:    jeez...where to start.

Bottom Line:
I have had two of these now. One on a kind of aggressive hard tail 29er from the Canfield Brothers (Yelli Screamy - love the bike) and one on my Orbea Rallon (also love the bike). On the plus side they are great for All mountain riding where frequent transitions are required between going up and down hill.

The seatpost on the Canfield broke a seal and dropped all of the oil inside of my frame the second time I took it out. That's right, two times. While customer service at Crank Bros was pretty good and they returned the warranty repaired seatpost pretty quickly, I sold it the minute it came back.

The second one on my Orbea actually gave me a solid year - a joke for sure, right - before doing the exact same thing. These things are crap. They have no durability and you can't service them yourself - you have to ship them to Crank Brothers for a $30 service. Weak.

While they do offer a trade in program for the newest version of a dropper seatpost they have available...is it really worth it? I say, spend the money and get a better seatpost up front. Crank Brothers should just stick to pedals.

Favorite Trail:   Lots

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Orbea Rallon x10

Submitted by gilmo1917 a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to fit, easy to use, superb confidence boost on technical downhill. This relates to the Joplin 4 seat post, I never tried the earlier models. I didn't get the remote as the lever suits me better, that's just a personal choice though.

Weaknesses:    If this can be described as a weakness, lack of a cover for the slide, after over 147 miles in the mucky muddy Scottish forest. Before riding with the Joplin, I fitted a) a crud catcher rear mudguard (essential) and b) A Lizard Skins Suspension sleeve. I've had no problems but believe prevention is better than cure. Would also have liked some info on re-pressurising as there doesn't seem to be any, and nothing is that airtight. But consider this to be minor as I'm sure Crank Bros will advise online.

Bottom Line:
The best piece of kit I've ever fitted, and I have wasted a lot of cash over the years buying "trick" bits that were supposed to revolutionise my riding. This along with lock on grips (though they came as standard on my EX8) is a sure fire working improvment. Also read the small print. Crank Brothers will even consider a warranty claim caused by misuse if they reckon the circumstances allow for some leeway! Now that's support.

Favorite Trail:   Forest around my home

Purchased At:   Rock and Road Bridge

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX8 2012 model

Submitted by mtnmark a All Mountain Rider from san Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    It's a dropper seatpost, it changes the way you ride, you need one. Just don't buy a Joplin.

Weaknesses:    Where to begin, the thing is a piece of crap. They break, get screwy, spongy etc. Lots of side to side play, seat clamp sucks. I know how to work on them and they would still break down even with regular maintenance. I think CB warrantied mine once or twice and serviced it another time or two when I couldn't get it working. I upgraded my sh*tty Joplin 3 to a new 4 and sold it to buy a Gravity Dropper. I still have one I keep as a spare, but just used it the other day and the side to side is terrible coming from my Gravity Dropper.

Bottom Line:
Get a dropper post, just don't buy a Joplin. I don't think I would buy any crank brothers product after my experience with a Joplin. They are all looks and no function.

Favorite Trail:   Lots

Similar Products Used:   Gravity Dropper Turbo, I've tried a reverb, but only for a couple short rides.

Bike Setup:   Blur LTc, XT 2x10, Fox 32 150, RP23, meaty tires.

Submitted by winsail a Cross Country Rider from Soquel

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    It works. Goes up and down without a hitch. Would not ride without one

Weaknesses:    If you call periodic maintenance a weakness I guess that's it

Bottom Line:
I have used the Maverick Speedball Remote for over 3 years which was the design Crankbrothers bought from Maverick and re-branded it. I had no problems with that post. My new Crankbrothers Joplin Remote has 2 guideblocks instead of 1 but is virtually the same. The 3 inches of travel is plenty for the x-country riding I do. More would be wasted for me. There is periodic maintenance required with all dropper posts and this one is no exception. You have to open it up re-grease it and pump it up to 70psi once a year. It's pretty simple and really no different than rear shock or fork maintenance. It takes about 15 minutes, probably 30 minutes your first time. A fixed post obviously requires none of this and as a result cannot be compared. Once you ride a dropper post you will never go back unless of course weight is something that is a greater concern than ride ability. I have had no slop problems and I ride often usually 4 days or more a week. This is a great product!

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Loop

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Maverick Speedball Dropper Post

Bike Setup:   Jamis 650b2 nothing stock

Submitted by dinobino22 a Weekend Warrior from Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2011

Strengths:    NONE! I'd rather spend extra $ on other brand of seat post. Bad business practice!

Weaknesses:    Leaks and does not lock in place. Not reliable. 2 year warranty is a hoax (false advertising).

Bottom Line:
This seat post leaked after a year of occasional use. I returned it to Crank Brothers for repair since its has 2 year warranty only to find out that they want to charge me $30 for an improved seal plus shipping and handling ($9). They said if it's less than a year they would repair it for free. Better spend my money who stand behind their products. WILL NEVER BUY THEIR PRODUCTS!!!

Favorite Trail:   Mount Diablo

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Bike Setup:   BMC Superstroke01

Submitted by epic510 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2011

Strengths:    Makes you 100% more confident on down hills. Drop the post and bombs away! No more worries about going over the bars because of not being able to get behind the seat.

Weaknesses:    Seat will not stay in position! Any time I hit a bump while seated the seat ratchets upwards and I have to knock it down with my fist.

Bottom Line:
I don't think I could ever go back to a non-adjustable post. Awesome upgrade. I just wish it would hold the seat in place. I still use it and it's a lot better than a standard post. The drop function with the remote works flawlessly. Just wish it would hold the seat in place... I did buy an older model and have heard the newer ones have addressed the seat issue.

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   standard posts

Bike Setup:   09 epic

Submitted by craftworks a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2011

Strengths:    Designed on looks and ease of use

Weaknesses:    Low end product don't do it, play in post ,pumps out oil

Bottom Line:
The Crank Bros. low-end seat post worked great for about 10 rides then started to go soft. On removal rubbish post pumped oil into frame causing more drame, slipping seat post.

Have returned twice for warranty repairs last time in March and still waiting for it's return.

Crank Bros. produce cool looking products although if your into over servicing then buy - I will never trust CB again.

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   KS 900i - perfect

Bike Setup:   blur LTC

Submitted by wildwest a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, Wa.

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Strengths:    Infinitly adjustable in 3'

Weaknesses:    It breaks

Bottom Line:
I'm on my second one. After only one month, the first one wouldn't stay up. I sent it back to CL, they sent me a new one. On this one, I couldn't get the seat clamp tight enough, now matter how much I tightened it. It would be ok for awhile the, i would come off of a small drop & the nose or the tail would fall back. Last time it happened, I pulled the bolt through the clamp &, the clamp broke in half.

Favorite Trail:   Atomic Dog

Purchased At:   chainlove

Bike Setup:   completely custom

Submitted by triplereffi a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2011

Strengths:    Works great, even under mud, rain or desert thin dust. Although some wrote issues about its reliability, I have found this seat-post to operate exactly as it should be.

Weaknesses:    If you want it to function well, you need get rid from ~30 USD for an annual maintenance. You can do it by yourself.

Bottom Line:
I used the 3" version on Specialized Enduro, before the SC Butcher, and it worked well. If the maintenance is done at least every year, you will not experience any failure issues, what so ever.

Purchased At:   CBO. CA

Bike Setup:   2011 Santa Cruz Butcher

Submitted by DIRTJUNKIE a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2011

Strengths:    The obvious infinate adjustment within its range (on the fly) which relates to a less hassle free ride.

Weaknesses:    Seat clamp tends to slide.

Bottom Line:
I love this post, I have been on it for around two years. I originally went in to buy the Maverick Speedball only to find out that Crank Brothers had bought the rights to it. The salesman insisted that CB was.dedicated to fixing any design flaws before re-releasing it under thier name. I bought one of the early released ones. Which in my mind explains the high price I paid $325 which is ok if it worked properly. Which is basically what I have experienced. Like I said earlier my only issue has been with the seat post clamp occasionally slipping. Which I have heard they later altered the design and fixed it. I have had no other issues that many others have complained about. But that could be due to the amount of ride time I have on it. I ride on average three times a month at three hour rides. So hopefully my luck will continue as I absolutely love this.post especially the remote lever on the bars. No need to remove your hand to do a quick adjustment. I also think it has much a better visual higher quality look to it than other similar products offered.

Favorite Trail:   The one i'm on.

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Submitted by sgf2 a Weekend Warrior from Portland

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2011

Strengths:    Infinite adjustments.
Customer Support is great at CB

Weaknesses:    Can't lift the bike by the seat (you'd be suprised as to how often you lift the bike this way on a normal ride). Has to be rebuilt each season (or more from what others are saying)

The fact that I know Customer Support is great at CB...

Bottom Line:
There are better posts to buy out there than this one. The CB looks slick and comes in a pretty box but its too finicky and has too many rules. Not being able to lift by the seat is a huge deal. I didn't think it would be, i was wrong... A riding buddy of mine has the KS and if I could do it again i'd buy that one. its got 5 inches and you can lift the bike by the seat.

My post lasted about one riding season before it started to develop issues. I called up CB and they said to send it in. Since it was within a year of purchase they fixed it for free. I just paid $12 for shipping one way. If I understand them the next time I send it back (It will be over a year from purchase now) I'll have to pay around $35 for the repairs. I had a blown a seal and something else, and from door to door the post was off my bike for about 3 weeks.

I will say this, these adjustable seatposts are amazing. You need one. I will never ride my trail bike without one (well I did but that was due to the repairs). I honestly raise and lower the seat more than I shift. They are so good I'm debating picking one up for my DH rig too.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Canada

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 0 with a fox 36 and tons of other upgrades

Submitted by Varaxis a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Strengths:    Can lower to any point within travel limit
Smooth
Easy maintenance

Weaknesses:    Develops minor [twisting] play over time (single guide keyed version)
Picking up the bike by the saddle when it's lowered and having it extend is kind of annoying

Bottom Line:
The remote version makes this post so much more useful! Conversion kit costs $50 (MSRP), so consider that if you think the lever version is a deal.

Buy it, swap posts, install the remote and cable, install a saddle and it's good to go. The clamp mechanism works great and creak free.

My remote version is solid, but my lever version has a couple issues. Remote version hasn't developed play, but the lever version has. Lever version also somehow got stuck in the "lever-activated/on" position, but I took it apart and fiddled with it and managed to get it to work without really doing anything to the internals.

After seeing its guts, I appreciate how this thing is so simply designed. I dunno why people are complaining about leaking. It's just an air spring cartridge housed within a stanchion that slides within the post. The air spring is bolted to the bottom and connects to the top, where the lever/cable hooks up. The stanchion just has 2 bushings and a part that sticks out as a guide. The post has a slot that the guide slides up and down in. The screw on bit is just a wiper seal. The stanchion is slathered in an excessive amount of orange grease. That is what "leaks". There's only a 10mm bolt on the bottom that holds the air cartridge to a screwed on bottom plate (the two holes are for drainage). There's a flathead screw there, which is a cap to the air valve for the cartridge. The only servicing you can really do is greasing the guide and the 2 bushings that help the stanchion glide within the post.

Warranty service is fairly simple. Just fill out a form, mail it in, and wait. I was about to send mine in, but wanted to check out the insides beforehand, and managed to fix it myself. It had something to do with the bottom plate unscrewing instead of the nut. Took off the valve cap and was able to get the nut off and have the bottom plate stay in. I did an overhaul and played with the lever to activate it and started to cycle the spring and it began to work properly again. No clue why, since it had something to do within the air cartridge or the activation mechanism within the stanchion, but saved a ton of trouble. CB's RA# is up to 27000. I wonder if that's how many claims they have dealt with so far...

Favorite Trail:   San Juan

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign X0 (30.9 lever, stock), Superfly 100 (31.6 remote, retail)

Crank Bros Joplin seatpost issue (spongy after a little bit of riding)

Not sure if this is the right forum but... I have a Crank Bros Joplin seatpost with remote on my trail bike. After a short while the seat gets spongy at the top of full extension. I know it's something to do with air being trapped inside. According to the FAQs, you have to cycle the post slowly w ... Read More »

Maverick Speedball / Early addition Crank Brothers Joplin...anybody still on one.

What better place for good info. than the Turner forum. Make me proud boy's and spill some knowledge on this subject. Is anybody out there still running an old Speedball or an early addition Crank Brothers Joplin adjustable seat post. I bought a CB Joplin W/remote back in 08' right after Maverick ... Read More »

Maverick Speedball / Crank Brothers early Joplin..anybody still on one.

Is anybody out there still running an old Maverick Speedball or an early addition Crank Brothers Joplin adjustable seat post. I bought a CB Joplin W/remote back in 08' right after Maverick licensed the design to Crank Brothers. And my early edition Joplin I can only assume is basically the same desi ... Read More »

Joplin Remote

Anyone in the Boulder/Longmont area with a remote left over from a dead Joplin/Speedball? If you have one, please shoot me a note and asking price. Cheers. _MKRead More »

How easy is to rebuild a Joplin 4 seatpost

I have work on bikes and motorcycles for years, can I do it my self or better just to send it in...?? Mine is leaking air pretty fast..Read More »