Crank Brothers Joplin 4R Seatpost

Crank Brothers Joplin-4 Adjustable Seatpost w/Remote: 100mm travel version of the 7000-series aluminum height-adjustable seatpost. Updated hydraulic seals and bushings for added durability. 4 inch range of height lock. 20mm setback...

Submitted by Kenny B a All Mountain Rider from Woodland Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2012

Strengths:    Gives me great confidence on downhill runs, and optimum efficiency on climbs. No compromised seat post height. Has worked well for the last 4 months.

Weaknesses:    Crank Brothers has discontinued this product, and no longer offers the rebuild kit. if there is a product failure, you must send it in for repair. I personally have only used the product for 4 mo. - needs service, and now it is obsolete.

Bottom Line:
I loved this thing. It worked great for me, and I endorsed it with strangers and friends alike. Best accessory I have ever installed on my bike. However, I can no longer recommend it since the only support of this product is by mail thru the manufacturer.

Favorite Trail:   Guadalasca

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur, Shimano XT drive train, Shimano deore disc brakes, Rock Shox Recon Race, DT Swiss 1600 wheel set, Fox RP3

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Denver CO. USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to adj. and set at any height

Weaknesses:    leaks oil after time and doesnt like cold weather, seems like every 6months you have to send it to cb for repairs and that takes 2 to 3 weeks to get back. Cost for needing to find another

Bottom Line:
adj. seat post are the best thing made for downhill and a xc must have but this one comes up short. other people I talked to had the same problem as I with the post leaking on hard hits, not staying fixed at the height and the seals leaked in cold weather. Dealing with cb is easy and pleasant but they just cant get it right. I sold this one and purchased a diffrent brand and still riding

Favorite Trail:   apex

Purchased At:   proformance

Similar Products Used:   gravity dropper, comand post

Bike Setup:   santacruz nomad

Submitted by giantbikeboy a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2011

Strengths:    it's pretty

Weaknesses:    side to side slop. pukes oil. POS.

Bottom Line:
Complete garbage. Do Not Buy. Mine was the under seat lever style. One ride and it crapped out. Try climbing 10 miles out of a canyon with your seat slammed.!*@&#& sucks. Now I get to clean oil from my carbon seat tube. Did I mention this thing sucks? No response to email yet either. Purchased based on reviews here. Wonder which brother is writing those? Thanks CB.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   fleabay

Bike Setup:   altitude 70. X9 blah blah blah....

Submitted by rsmarg a Cross Country Rider from Evergreen, CO

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2011

Strengths:    Allows lowering and raising of saddle without having to stop and get off bike.

Looks nice.

Crank Bros. quality

Smart design.

Weaknesses:    Possibly a weight penalty?

Fear of scratching exposed stanchion

Bottom Line:
Easily one of the best upgrades I've made to my bike. I consider ranking it up there with my first foray into front and rear suspension. If you ride somewhere with a lot of variable, up-down terrain (as opposed to long grinder climbs followed by pure DH descents) this is money well spent.

Having the ability to drop my saddle before steep descents without dismounting has vastly enhanced my riding experience. I no longer have to kill the flow of a trail, nor do I have to worry about not being able to get back or low enough.

The setup works almost as well when raising, too. Its really nice to get to the bottom of a descent and be able to quickly pop the saddle back up to climbing height.

In fact, after 3 or 4 rides you get pretty well trained on operating the Joplin so that it really becomes a seamless feature to riding.

Crank Bros has thought the design out well, too. The handlebar mounted lever is small and unobtrusive yet big enough to get the leverage you need to activate the post. Setting it up is very simple and they were kind enough to make cable and housing replacement easy but using normal shifter housing and cables. Its also a very pretty part with the anodized rings and lever and black post.

I got the Joplin 3 two years ago and really liked it. Never had any performance issues beyond regular maintenance. However, the top tube of my bike slopes so much that I really wanted just one more inch. That's why I went to the Joplin 4R. Its now absolutely perfect. But if you don't need the 4 the 3 is just as good. Really depends on your bike setup.

In either case, getting the version with the remote handlebar lever is a must. Getting the one with the lever on the seatpost would pretty much nullify the benefit the post delivers. You really don't want to be entering a dicey downhill or coming into a quick climb and want to have to take your hand off the bars to find the seat lever. Pay the extra whatever to get the remote lever.

If I had to complain I'd say there may be a bit of a weight penalty, but I absolutely think its worth it (esp. on an all mountain or normal XC bike).

I also get nervous that the stanchion tube (if that's the right term) is so exposed. It could easily get scratched in a wreck. I suppose you could put a shock boot over it, though I've heard mixed opinions on that, with some suggesting that'll just attract and retain dirt and crud.

Purchased At:   eBay