Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 Seatpost

2.6/5 (10 Reviews)

Your seat can't do anything without a seatpost, so pick up the aluminum Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 and give your saddle a place to perch. The easy-to-adjust, single-bolt clamp securely holds 7mm seat rails so you don't have to worry about a migrating saddle as you shred.

Submitted by Mark Cox

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2014

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    The seat clamp is terrible. Tightened to specs the seat nose moved 1/2 inch in either direction. Took it apart and greased per Crank Bros. recommendation. No improvement.

Bottom Line:
Very poor design

Submitted by Ellen

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2014

Strengths:    light weight
cool color

Weaknesses:    will not work at all

Bottom Line:
This is hands down the worst bicycle component I have ever purchased in my twenty-some years of OCD-like compulsion to spend more money than I have on bicycle parts that I don't need. No kidding. I bought the post because I wanted something light, long, and I liked the single bolt design and color. Terrible purchase. First problem-- got the saddle on, tighted the bolt to the specs, and no matter how much I tightened the bolt, the saddle retained a small amount of up and down movement on the bike. Not acceptable. Called Crank Brothers, was told to "lube the crescent shaped parallel channels with tri-flow." I did this, which did eliminated the annoying moving saddle issue. The bigger issue is that once you install the saddle on the post and tighten the bolt, the saddle is fixed forever in that position. So if the tilt is wrong, forget about adjusting it. You have to completely remove the saddle and start from scratch to adjust tilt. And the saddle has to be busted off with a hammer to get it off. Totally unworkable and not what a post is supposed to do. And no amount of tri flow fixes this problem. I called Crank Brothers twice and hoped that someone could help me, but they could not. Of course they couldn't, because the post does not work. I really don't understand some of the reviews that say this post worked for the rider. Good luck and look elsewhere!!

Similar Products Used:   everything

Bike Setup:   many bikes

Submitted by Lule a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2013

Strengths:    Swanky looks and a light weight.

Weaknesses:    Poor engineering.

Bottom Line:
A "trophy wife" of a seatpost, this is. Looks great but doesn't work. It's unlikely that you'll be able to adjust the saddle angle on the trail as the clamp, once tightened, has dug into the sides of the post and won't move again until the seatpost is removed from the bike and dismantled. Dislodging the clamp requires clamping the post to a bench and giving the clamp a whack with a rubber hammer. Only then can one adjust the angle of the saddle. Not something to be done on the trail unless one carries a vice and hammer in their toolpack.
Need more than 72 degrees? Not with this offset post. The saddle rails contact the clamping assembly denying further tilt forward. No kidding.
Crank Bros. allowed me to spend $20 to send it to them only to tell me this is how they designed this post to function. This design seems to be "change for the sake of change" and nothing more. Worst seatpost I have ever had, regardless of price.
At this price, the seatpost should perform flawlessly and have excellent customer support. It does and has neither.

Favorite Trail:   Warrior Creek

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport, Charl

Similar Products Used:   RaceFace, Ritchey, Kalloy, Giant, others.

Bike Setup:   Blur LT, Chameleon.

Submitted by frana

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2013

Strengths:    design,color, CB general aesthetics great.

Weaknesses:    difficulty tightening

Bottom Line:
The only problem I have is keeping it tight. My allen wrench feels like its going to snap when I crank on the tightening. My first ride my seat was pretty loose after a short time in the saddle. When tightened it is fine, but it hasn't been a set and forget seatpost

Submitted by arkhamasylum a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    Again, good design integration across Cobalt 3 series.

Weaknesses:    - Finishing is easy to scratch
- Seatpost wedge/clamp gets locked
- Seems to slide more often when used with Crank Brothers Seat collar.

Bottom Line:
Purchased this seat post as part of a Cobalt 3 theme build. The only problem I had was that the wedge/clamp locks out and it gets difficult to adjust the saddle angle after a while. I've tried grease and lube but it still gets locked after a while. As someone has mentioned, the setback version has a certain limit on saddle angle. When used with Crank Brothers Seat collar, I find that the seat slides more often. The finishing is not hardy and gets scratches easilly.

Submitted by flor385 a Cross Country Rider from Croatia

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2011

Strengths:    Looks. Matching color to other members of the Cobalt line. Reasonably light. Well made.

Weaknesses:    Price. The wedge system makes it a tad difficult to adjust angle and saddle position. The offset version does not allow for a saddle angle where the nose is pointed downward (stem blocks rails movement). Relies on a single T25 torx bolt tightened to around 12Nm to keep it all in place.

Bottom Line:
I got it together with the Cobalt handlebar and Iodine stem, all in Iron / Black color scheme. So, I got it for it's looks. I am keeping it for it's looks too, but it gave me a lot of trouble. Finding the best saddle adjustment is a major pain with this item. But OK, one does not do that every day.

It is however well engineered, the single bolt system works when tightened to the right torque, and the bolt and nut are strong enough to hold it. So, once you get it right, it stays right.

Damn pricy though (you get stems that are just as light and infinitely less complicated for half the price).

Favorite Trail:   Sljeme

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   A few stems.

Bike Setup:   Kona Kula Gold, pretty much stock 2010.

Submitted by broadwayline a Cross Country Rider from Caledon, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2011

Strengths:    Looks great, holds the saddle perfectly, dimple marker design allows for great height marking and easy adjustment of the saddle height.

Weaknesses:    A little finicky compared to a 2 bolt clamp but not difficult like other reviews make it out to be. I adjusted my saddle perfectly myself in under 1 min first time using it and it held position and has not budged!

Bottom Line:
Great looking seat post with an interesting design and good markings for height

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Thompson, Easton, Ritchy

Bike Setup:   Norco Nitro

Submitted by Diego Rodriguez a Cross Country Rider from Ellicot City, Maryland, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2011

Strengths:    Lighter than a Thomson Elite, easier to adjust than a Thomson with the single bolt design rather than two hard to reach 4 mm bolts like a Thomson. Good looks (matches my wheels, bars and pedals). Cool marking dimple system for adjust seatpost height if you drop and raise your saddle during riding or to fit in your car.

Weaknesses:    Needed to buy a different clamp to fit my 7x9 mm carbon railed Fizik Tundra saddle.

Bottom Line:
Simple, elegant and light. Worth the price, but I gave it 4 chilis due to the clamp needing to be swapped.

Buy if you care about weight and looks. Do not buy if you????

Favorite Trail:   Patapsco Valley State Park: McKeldin Area

Purchased At:   Bikes Online

Similar Products Used:   Thomson Elite, Easton EA90, FSA FR280

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Carbon Rize, Cobalt wheels, Cobalt 3 bar, Tundra saddle, EB pedals

Submitted by onegymrat a Weekend Warrior from Los Angeles, CA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2010

Strengths:    Looks awesome, Crank Bros a trustworthy name

Weaknesses:    Clamping unit really fidgety.

Bottom Line:
Although this post looks hot, it is just too difficult to get positioned correctly. I'm really finicky when it comes to bike setup and require hours and hours to getting it to the correct millimeter. This post gave me so many problems in the setup with the saddle that I had to return the product without getting on the trail. It's okay light (243g) for its size but not worth keeping. Going back to Thomson or a Specialized S-Works Carbon if I can get a deal.

Favorite Trail:   Monroe Truck Trail

Purchased At:   Outside Outfitters

Similar Products Used:   Thomson Elite

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Carbon

Submitted by frankbullitt a Cross Country Rider from Greensboro, NC

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2010

Strengths:    Very good looking. Nifty hight indication system so I can put the saddle right where it was after I get my bike out of my car.

Weaknesses:    This is by far the most fiddly bike component I have ever bought. The saddle rail clamp looks simple and fool proof enough to be a game changer. However, I think the production pieces lack the exact manufacturing tolerances required to make the clamp work perfectly, or well, or nearly at all. Adjusting saddle fore/aft position or angle requires removing the seatpost from the seat tube and having another set of hands to hold everything exactly in place while you set the clamp pieces exactly where they need to be to make the seatpost effectively fasten the saddle to your bike. It is very difficult, if not impossible, to loosen the clamp from a fully fastened position so that you can slide your saddle forward or back or point the nose skyward or down. You have to loosen the torx bolt entirely and start from scratch to get your saddle positioned exactly where you want it. This is extremely annoying and makes fine tuning on the trail impossible.

Bottom Line:
Spend the weekend getting your saddle postioned exactly where you want it because you cannot do any fine tuning in less than twenty minutes or so. I am not sure if it was worth it to keep this seatpost instead of just returning it for something I know that has a reliable clamping mechanism.

Favorite Trail:   Any Burr Mill Park network trail