Cook Brothers Easton EA70 Seatpost Seatpost

4.23/5 (13 Reviews)

Cook Brothers Easton EA70 Seatpost

Submitted by Sandy a Weekend Warrior from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2001

Strengths:    -Its COOK BROS (need I say more?)
-Funky seat angle device idea: uses a set of wedges/shims of varying angles
-Looks damn cool

Weaknesses:    -Expensive
-Anodising comes off easy

Bottom Line:
Cook Bros are synonymous with quality, but there was no way I'd spend $80 on this. Its a seatpost for gods sake!, a tube of metal with a fancy clamp; definitely overpriced (I got it second-hand heh heh). But the use of wedges is a damn good idea, because it prevents any chance of slippages in seat angle. This is common in cheaper seatposts which rely on tight bolts to maintain seat angle.

Favorite Trail:   Tai Mo Shan

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Bokor Hardtail, Full XTR (bar LX shifters), Rockshox Psylo XC, Magura HS33's

Submitted by Austin Powers and Danger is my middle name. a Weekend Warrior from Shagarifick, MN

Date Reviewed: September 17, 1999

Strengths:
Its real grovy!
That color (light blue) is tottaly smashing hipp hop.
I love the way you can move the seat backwards and froward with out messing up the seat angle. and i love those wedges!

Weaknesses:
Not made any more Baby! They disscontinued it just like my carrer!
Opps the annidising is comeing offn as soon as i putt it in, and had a hard time putting it in.

Bottom Line:
An almost Smashing
This post is sweet. Perfect angle and a great adjust ment reu! To bad they dont make them any more. Anybody know what is going on at Cook Bros? They discontiued the Seatpost, the seat pin and there BB. (the later which I dont have) and my crank to but replaced it with a better one in there lineup! Tottaly un grovy baby.
Perfact rateing if they still made them and easyer to instal into my seat tube mast!

Any thing thats Smashing Baby!

6 months

Pipes, in steel and alluminum.
Shimano steel
kalloy alloy

Shaga moblie 2

Submitted by James a Racer from Washington, DC

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1999

Strengths:
Very light
Cook Bros.
BAD ASS LOOKIN'
Doesn't Slip AT ALL, EVER

Weaknesses:
Did I just pay a hundred bucks for a seatpost? What the hell was I thinking?

Bottom Line:
Fat lookin' seatpost, fat performance, but you need a fat wallet and ridiculous priorities to get it.

3 months

McMahon Ti
Kore Aluminium

Haro A4
XTR everything except crappy LX brakes. oh well. Judy forks with total air internals.

Submitted by The Black King a cross-country rider from New York City

Date Reviewed: September 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

I find the Cook Bros. post to be a very good and surprisingly durable product. I purchased the post in April and I have to admit that I was suspect about this particular post. Since then, I have not had any problems with it. What was even better was that the angle adjuster shims were already set to my preferred seat angle!! I have not experienced any of the creaking, breaking, or cracking that the other reviewers have had. I weigh 225 lbs. and I constantly hammer the fudge out of my Joshua X1 and its components. The name says it all. This post really COOKS!! 'Nuff said.

Submitted by AJ a weekend warrior from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: July 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

This seatpost creaks so much! I have to grease it every other week to stop from going crazy on the trail! I also think the mechanism to secure the seat is a little akward, I don't like having to use shims on a $70 seat post. A seat post is not a complicated component, why make it one? All in all a good product, just over priced!

Submitted by epic a downhiller from CT

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

I like this post a lot. The clamp mechanism is very innovative (a rare thing these days) and totally eliminates angular slipping. It is also very light and sure it ain't cheap but I think it's worth the money. I broke the top clamp piece on mine after a season of hard downhilling, but C.B.R. replaced it quickly. I atribute the breakage to the incredible leverage of the Tioga DH saddles long rails, not any flaw in the post. I broke an XTR at the begginning of the season, and replaced it with the Cooks that lasted several months. The Kalloy that temporarily replaced it broke after one run.

Submitted by Peter Romano a racer from Ringwood, N.J.

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

My seatpost broke in about 2 weeks. The head had separated from the main
tube. Upon examining the construction of this post I noticed the head is press
fit to the main tube and some glue is applied also. I don't believe this is a good
method of construction, instead they should weld it. Cooks Bros replaced it quickly and the new post has been holding up good for 6 months now. If not for
the breakage i would give 5 stars

Submitted by Bill Jacobs a racer from Park City Utah

Date Reviewed: August 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought the new cooks seatpost and I am very disappointed. Mine creaks alot!! I think its coming from the shims or I have developed a crack. I can't recommend this product for the price I paid

Submitted by Jerry a cross-country rider from Nashville

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1997

Bottom Line:

VERY SOLID, light, and good lookin' too!

Submitted by Dave a racer from Mi

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1997

Bottom Line:

Excellent seat post. It is very light weight. If you have a standard frame you should easily be able to shim the seat so that it has the right angle. There is no worries about having the seat inadvertently tilt after slamming into it. The adjustment is also much easier.

Submitted by duzzi a weekend warrior from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1997

Bottom Line:

This is a really good post, which solves the seat-post problem (adjustability plus lightness) in a, apperently, novel way.
Elegant, light (190 minus 35 grams of tube cut for mine) and apperently really solid.

Submitted by Bang a cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1997

Bottom Line:

Just got my post today.
Great post.
Great design.
Very Elegant.
Very light.

Submitted by Aaron Leighton a cross-country rider from San Luis Obispo, California

Date Reviewed: March 7, 1997

Bottom Line:

Cook Bros' new Easton EA70 seatpost is elegant and simple. The clamp is compromised of
angled shims to set the saddle's tilt angle. After you install the amount of shims you require, the seat
can be adjusted fore and aft without altering the tilt angle. A simple solution and very clean design.
One of the lightest posts avalible, too. Mine weighed in at right under 200 grams stock and lost
more once I cut it for my height. Another excellent C.B.R. product.