Contol Tech Seatpost Seatpost

2.46/5 (121 Reviews)

Contol Tech Seatpost

Submitted by BoozyTheClown a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, Tx

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2005

Strengths:    Looks well-made

Weaknesses:    Clamping-mechanism is poor. Serrations wear out.

Bottom Line:
As nice as this post may look, the clamping mechanism is short-lived. Once you come down on your saddle with only a decent amount of pressure (I weigh barely 155 pounds), its over...with a screeching sound, the saddle tilts down and the serrations in the clamping shells are worn out forever and will no longer provide enough friction to firmly hold the saddle in place. The two-bolt tightening mechanism is also a really bad idea. It's a real hassle to tighten the damn screws, especially out on the trail after the damn thing just blew out on you. After a blow out, I had to tighten the bolts so hard, that the threading came out of the clamps. Control tech fixed that. After that I landed an air on the saddle cuz I slipped off the pedal and got my ass-crack wiped by the rear wheel. You like landing your ass on a quickly rotating knobby tire at high speeds?? -barely hanging on to your ride just because the saddle clamping mechanism blew?? Then buy this. Otherwise save your money.

Favorite Trail:   Flat Rock Ranch

Purchased At:   Came with Bike

Similar Products Used:   Koski, Easton, Thomson

Bike Setup:   Intense Tracer

Submitted by Brian Lang a Weekend Warrior from Roanoke, VA USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Strengths:    Low cost, reasonable weight, stays clamped without slipping.

Weaknesses:    Might be a tad on the weak side--mine bent just slightly after a couple years and stayed just slightly bent until now, when it bent terribly after five years of service. For a 180 lb. rider and being run as high as possible without exceeding the manufacturer's height limit, this isn't SO bad, but I wish it had been a little stronger. I was considering replacing it anyway because I've had it so long that I was worried I might be near the end of its fatigue life, which would be a possibility with any lightweight aluminum bike parts that bear load and get ridden hard (frames/handlebars/stems/etc.)

Bottom Line:
If you're as heavy as I am or heavier and you need a long post, you should probably spend a few more $ to get a stronger post. If you're lighter, or if you don't need to have your post set very high, this might be a good one. The price is pretty good.

Favorite Trail:   Carvins Cove trail system

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   various

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Obed F/S built for cross-country racing.

Submitted by JOE a Cross Country Rider from Westerville, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2002

Strengths:    When I first tried this post about 3-4 years ago, the quality was quite good, especially with the ribbed mast. I am a bigger rider (6'6"/235 lbs). My first two posts had at least 2 years each of hard riding with no failure.

Weaknesses:    weak clamp, sub-standard materials

Bottom Line:
Control Tech obviously lowered their quality standards. I broke two brand new ones, one within the first hour of a ride. I compared the new clamp pieces with one of my old ones...the new clamp pieces lost nearly 1 mm in thickness!! I called Control Tech and they actually admitted switching switching manufacturers...the rep also said there were at least 3 brands out in the market that were better . I would never buy one again. I will be sticking with the Titec Hellbent

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar/XTR/Mavic

Submitted by Chris from Houston

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2002

Weaknesses:    Bad Design

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this post. The seat binder is a poor design and is prone to failure (and squeaking).

I've had this post for 3 years and have broken the seat clamp twice. First time it was replaced by CT free and quick, second time it will be replaced by Thomson.

Both times it broke in very inopportune times.

Not worth the trouble.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Hill Ranch - Smithville

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Bike Setup:   DeKerf Team SL

Submitted by Lester Browne a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2001

Strengths:    It works and keeps me sitting on my saddle... ribbed for strength.

Weaknesses:    "my seat decides to takeoff like the concorde and ram into my pee pee" :D :D :D :D :D :o :/

Bottom Line:
I only weight about 145 pounds so this thing works for me and does it's job. I do ocassionaly have the problem with the seat clicking out of place but only when i land a drop or jump with no feet on the pedal (don't try that). I imagine it will eventually wear the teeth if I continue to practice landing with my "middle foot" on the saddle, but that's just speculation. I don't think it's the lightest product on the market but I've never had a chance to weigh it.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Dunremember, Inc.

Similar Products Used:   Cheapo no-name

Bike Setup:   Frame, fork, two wheels, and other stuff

Submitted by Ernest Macasieb a Racer from Chicago, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2001

Strengths:    extremely durable and verstile. very stiff

Bottom Line:
not sure how some people are having problems with the post failing. used ControlTech for over three years on each of my bikes without any problems. one post has over 20,000 miles logged on it (commuting, training, racing). it has survived TT, cyclocross, singletrack, 24hr racing, Triathlons, Duathlons, and crits. and about 5 car and racing crashes (post survived without a scratch, I was not so lucky). considering it has survived over 3 years of inner city commuting with over 190 lbs of total load on it, that is not to shabby.

I have enjoyed their product so much that I am going to buy 2 more for my new rides.

Favorite Trail:   any place without cars

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   American Classic, Coda, Specialized

Bike Setup:   specialized w/XT; cannondale w/duraAce; Giant ONCE w/duraAce; Litespeed; Access w/misc.

Submitted by Billy Talley a Cross Country Rider from Huntersville, NC, US

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2001

Strengths:    looks strong, double bolt for extra streanth, other than that there are NONE.

Weaknesses:    Don't let the "STRONG LOOKS" fool you. the 2 bolts don't help at all. Teeth striped out on race day.

Bottom Line:
rides good for about a monuth, then it just gave out on race day. !!!A REAL NUT CRUSHER!!! I bought a thomson elite, its worth the extra $.

Favorite Trail:   ANY TRAIL

Purchased At:   THE WHEEL

Similar Products Used:   Thomson Elite

Bike Setup:   '98 Cannondale super V 2000
XTR/ Race Face Turbine LP/ Race Face Ti Bottom bracket

Submitted by Thomas Davis a Cross Country Rider from Ft. Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2001

Strengths:    clean welds
inexpensive

Weaknesses:    clamping mechanism strips
cheap logo

Bottom Line:
This seat post came with the Trek 970 that I bought off a bike mechanic. I wasn't riding very much them, but to no avail the stupid indexing teeth stripped out. This thing is a piece. I only weigh 155 to 160 and I couldn't for the life of me keep the seat where I needed it to be. I won't blame it on incorrect installation since the mechanic that I bought the bike off of set it up for me. Control Tech really needs to rethink their design and the materials that they use. The one that I have is the cheaper model with the rib down the middle of the seat post tube. I purchase a Kore Lite post and have been using for 2 1/2 yrs with increased frequency and difficulty in riding and I have yet to have a problem. I just purchased a new frame and my Kore doesn't fit, so I will be trying out a Thompson next. Stay away from Control Tech and buy something that actually works. Thanks Control Tech for making me almost sterile on more than a few occasions.

Favorite Trail:   still looking

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Kore Lite post

Bike Setup:   Trek 970 with XT/LX and current bike Santa Cruz with same components

Submitted by greg a Weekend Warrior from the hills

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2001

Strengths:    looks ok

Weaknesses:    it's apiece of junk,strips out

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is these things should be called strip tech, not control tech,the seat clamp design sucks,my two boys each stripped theirs and i stripped mine,my fault you say? i say the thing is a piece of sh*t!although i did fix the problem by drilling two holes in it and driving roll pins into them,it's not adjustable after that,but who in the hell adjusts their seat after it's where you like it anyway,cheap piece of crap, buy a thompson ZERO freaking turds

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   thompson baby

Bike Setup:   cross country and two bmx bikes

Submitted by Brian Smith a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2001

Strengths:    the post is strong, very happy withit until it went wrong....(next section)

Weaknesses:    Badly designed clamp. The ribbed surface doesn't hold the saddle well. If a weight suddenly hits it(I weigh 175lbs), in a way that most people would consider normal riding, the front rotates up and you slide off the back. After happening numerous times and gradually increasing the torque applied to the two bolts to do the clmap up, the part of the clamp that the bolts sit into, rises out of the top of the clamp and you can no longer undo or do up the clamp.

Bottom Line:
If you like to run your saddle back on its rails then DO NOT buy this post. Even if you don't, I would avoid it unless you are very light. I haven't ridden much since getting this bike, but I have managed to have 2 of these Ribbed post go wrong in the same way.

If they sorted the clamp out this would be a fantastic post BUT the clamp makes it useless.

Favorite Trail:   to hard to name one

Purchased At:   Can't remeber

Similar Products Used:   USE post

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler, Judy 100, XTR/XT/LX group except Hope Sport Fr Hub & Disc, Mavic D521 rims, Azonic bars, Control Tech stem and post, (the fantastic) Titec DHKti saddle(not a DH heavyweight), IRC treads

Submitted by Walter Buis a Cross Country Rider from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Strengths:    Hasn't bend yet (over 5 years of XC riding)

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
After I bend the original Scott oem post(steel), the kalloy uno was next. It lasted 'bout a month.
Not sure how long I use the Control Tech, must be well over 5 years now. Stil straight.

Favorite Trail:   ardennes

Purchased At:   bike fun

Similar Products Used:   scott oem, kalloy uno

Bike Setup:   scott boulder 18", rockshox

Submitted by Kwon Shin a Cross Country Rider from Seoul, South Korea

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Strengths:    Design, Stiffness, Price

Weaknesses:    Decals

Bottom Line:
It has a nice design, but a bit complicated to set up with the saddle. It's strong enough for my everyday riding(Road 70% / Mtn 30%). I haven't found any problem with this yet. So far, I'm satisfied with this.

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   Kore Lite2, Thomson Elite

Bike Setup:   '99 Scott Al, all XT set, '99 Judy XC, Rolf wheels, Kore stem, Avid Brakes....

Submitted by Kwon Shin a Cross Country Rider from Seoul, Soth Korea

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
It has a nice design, but a bit complicated to set up with saddle than other maker's seatpost. It's strong enough for my everyday riding(Road 70% : Mtn 30%). I haven't found any problem with this yet. I'm satisfied with so far.

Favorite Trail:   Road 70% / Mtn 30%