Bontrager Select Seatpost

3.25/5 (12 Reviews)
Weight : 250 grams MSRP : $30.00

• Their basic design featuring a straight gauge 2014-T6 aluminum quill and dual rocker bolt clamp
  • Two bolt clamp design makes tilt adjustments precise and simple, with a wide range of adjustments
  • Available in lengths suitable for both road and mountain bikes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by pabito a Cross Country Rider from poland

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    Well done, strong , does its job

Weaknesses:    weight probably? poor painting

Bottom Line:
    I had to buy seatpost that w'd fit my trek 8900 frame, didnt have much money so got Bontrager Select. That was good choice, trek puts this to their frames so probably there wont be any dissapointments. and there were not. Once put into the frame didnt change its position. no strange noises coming from there, and the saddle is still where it was set. The pipe looks strong so i dont think it can break easily, also the upper part seems to be very solid.
    The only weakness is painting. when i mounted my seat bag the part of inscription wiped out. the weight? what do u expected for that money? :)

Purchased At:   ssc

Similar Products Used:   other stems :)

Bike Setup:   trek 8900 frame ;custom

Submitted by Roger a Cross Country Rider from Denver CO USA

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Strengths:    Strong,very sturdy reliable and inexpensive. It's weight is very competitive with much more expensive seatposts.

Weaknesses:    None; only the fact that the 29.2 diameter was hard to locate. I had to have it special ordered.

Bottom Line:
    This is an excellent, beefy post. I replaced this post because the stock one was to short. I got the 400mm one as my seat height increased when I learned how to properly adjust my riding height. I got the bontrager post because it was the only one that went with my Fish frame (29.2 diameter) that I could find. This is a pain and doesn't leave you with many options unless you want to use a shim (which I didn't) Anyway the seat post is indescructable as I have riden hard and raced 2 times with this bike. I weigh 175 and have had no problems with this post slipping and would recommend it to anyone

Purchased At:   Wheatridge Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Gary Fish Tassahara(2003). Avid sl rim brakes and levers, XT fr and rr der. deore crank and shifters, mavic 517 rims with XT hubs, WTB speed v saddle, bontrager crowbar handlebar, odi lockjaw grips, manitou black elite forks, panracer fire XC pro rear tire and dart front specific tire.

Submitted by Wojtek a Cross Country Rider from Long Island, Ny

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2005

Weaknesses:    This post is terrible... Keeps on sliding down no matter how tight the quick release is..

Bottom Line:
    Its to the point that I have to readjust it at least 2 times on a 6 mile trail.. Slides down especially on bumpy downhills when your arse hits against it. Don't waste your money. Mine came with the bike but I'm looking for a replacement.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell in Syosset

Purchased At:   came with the bike

Bike Setup:   05 Gary Fisher Tassajara all stock except for WTB Mutano Raptor 2.24 tires

Submitted by Jeffrey Allanach a Cross Country Rider from Storrs, CT USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Strengths:    This seatpost is relatively easy on the eyes, light, and does not slip.

Weaknesses:    CREAKING!! After the first week of riding I noticed that it was creaking pretty bad. I applied lubricants to it in hopes that it would stop, but nothing made it better. After 30 bucks worth of different kinds of lubricants I decided to give up. Long story short, I am currently looking for something better.

Bottom Line:
    It creaks!

Favorite Trail:   Satan's Pajamas

Similar Products Used:   Nothing yet

Bike Setup:   2004 Trek Liquid 25

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from So. Cal.

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Strengths:    looks ok, simple to adjust.

Weaknesses:    Not holding seat angle not matter how hard you tighten it.

Bottom Line:
    Don't buy this seatpost, the clamp slip all the time especially downhill when your butt hitting the seat.
    I basically have to adjust the seat angle during every ride, and the clamp is getting looser, time to find a replacement.

Favorite Trail:   rock-it

Purchased At:   come with bike

Similar Products Used:   Titec, Tuvatik,

Bike Setup:   Sugar 3+

Submitted by Gabhan a Cross Country Rider from Guelph, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2003

Strengths:    VERY stiff, no power loss at all

Weaknesses:    Creaks a bit, need to grease it (annoying if you remove it a lot)

Bottom Line:
    Very nice seat post, fairly light, looks nice, easily adjustable (-1 chilli for the creaking)

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain

Submitted by B from a sperm and an egg

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Strengths:    light, strong, quiet, holds seat well

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    This a great seatpost, espeacially for the money. The two-bolt design holds the seat in place very well. The post does not squeak if you grease it properly. I ride a Thomson on my other bike, which is a better post but costs much more. 5 flammin' turds for value and 4 overall (cuz it's not quite a nice as the Thomsons).

Similar Products Used:   Thomson Elite, Richey Pro

Bike Setup:   MonoCog

Submitted by Sprocketeer mtbmania@seaple.ne.jp a Cross Country Rider from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (native of New York)

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2003

Strengths:    It's almost as light as the Thompson Elite.

Looks good after 1300 miles in 8 months and being shoved up and down in the frame so I could put the bike in a carrier bag. (Negligable scratches and the logo is still intact).

Weaknesses:    It slipped down into the frame a bit the first few hundred miles and had to be repositioned, but that problem disappearred after regreasing (using Shimano Dura-Ace grease).

It used to creak a hell of a lot at first (this problem disappeared a bit after regreasing, but I never had a problem again once I started using a titanium rail saddle).

The saddle clamp wont hold the saddle's position. I suppose grease could help this, but I've never heard of anyone needing to do that.

(Note: I had a lot of tiny, annoying, but insignificant problems with my TREK 8000 until I regreased things like the post, pedals, and cranks. Now it's downright stealthy and I haven't had any problems with noise or slippage except on the post clamp--which I didn't regrease. Conclusion--must be the grease TREK is using).

Bottom Line:
    My only big problem with this seatpost, and it's significant, is that the saddle rail mounting head doesn't hold it's angle. I have to adjust it absolutely every ride.

However, I do love the smooth adjustability of said-same mount. It's very precise.

Still, that hardly matters if it can't hold the saddle angle.

I'm going to replace this component with a Thompson Elite, or a carbon post if there's one good enough, and put the Bontrager on my beater bike if it fits.

Favorite Trail:   I like it rough and dirty, baby!

Purchased At:   Came stock on my TREK 8000

Similar Products Used:   I've always gone with whatever stock seatposts came with my bikes. I never had a problem with other seatposts other than weight and cosmetics, and when you take away those factors it seems like as long as the seatpost keeps your chassie in place it's alright--but comfort and rigidity are also significant factors.

Bike Setup:   2002 TREK 8000 bought stock, but made the following changes pretty quickly: Shimano 959 pedals, Shimano XT bottom bracket, XT crankset, Bontrager (Selle San Marco) Race Lite saddle with titanium rails and gel insert, plus do-dads

Submitted by Christopher Papakyriakou a Cross Country Rider from Nicosia,Cyprus

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2002

Strengths:    Its light,looks very nice.Very strong and doesnt slip.

Bottom Line:
    Its a reaaly nice seatpost.I made a lot of km on it and its still strong.Its 31.6mm and looks very nice.Its a cheap and very good for the money you pay.Very light too.

Favorite Trail:   Maheras Xc Lap

Similar Products Used:   Cheap seat posts

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000,Rock Shox Duke Xc,Shimano Xt,Bontrager Race crankset,Bontrager Select componets and wheels,Time Atac carbon pedals

Submitted by weather expert a Weekend Warrior from iowa

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2002

Strengths:    two bolt clamps is the best. this post works. not too heavy. black.

Weaknesses:    no setback and at least in my case it's not free

Bottom Line:
    face it: it's a seatpost, so as long as it holds yer saddle in a fixed position it's good. the two bolt clamp is tried and true and i have never got an instance of slipping or loosening.

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   xy, titec, etc.

Bike Setup:   Mrazek xc

Submitted by Ellison Smith a Weekend Warrior from Greenville, SC

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, easy to adjust, and looks cool

Weaknesses:    Can be a hassle to take off or put on a different seat

Bottom Line:
    I've really enjoyed it so far. Has given me almost no trouble. Just have to make sure you tighten the bolts enough. On one ride my saddle came loose, so i just whipped out an allen wrench and tightened it up. No trouble since then.

Favorite Trail:   just about any singletrack

Purchased At:   came with my bike