Bontrager Race Lite Seat post Seatpost

3.5/5 (10 Reviews)

Race Lite Seat post

Submitted by LowLow

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2013

Strengths:    Light, looks pretty good, has markings on the seat post to help with seat positioning.

Weaknesses:    The clamping mechanism.

Bottom Line:
This seat post looks nice, is fairly cheap, and has markings to help with seat positioning, all of which are reasons for buying it. The main reason for not buying it, however, is that it uses a single bolt to clamp the seat post to the saddle. Because of this, on my first ride out, the seat post went backwards when my butt hit the saddle. Then it did it again as I was pedaling. This happened even though the seat post was in the middle of the saddle and and I torqued the bolt to just under its max torque (16NM).

The nice thing is that Bontrager has some sort of 30 day money back guarantee, so I was able to return the seat post to the LBS. They said they've had mix success with the post, with some people having the same problem as me and others not. The sales guy actually mentioned this issue before I bought the post, but I wanted to save some money and thought, "a post is a post."

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2003

Strengths:    Does the job. Keeps me up, doesn't creak, good adjusment capabilities. Very lite, looks good.

Weaknesses:    Cracked after 1,800 miles and 11 months.

Bottom Line:
Noticed a hair-line crack about two inches long spanning from the top of the post down towards the 'B' logo. Retuned it to my LBS (Jax on Main Street) and got a brand new replacement post in two days. No worries, I'm happy! Lets hope this new one holds up a little better than the last.

Favorite Trail:   Whiting to The Luge

Purchased At:   Bike 101 - Solana Beach

Similar Products Used:   Thompson

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek Fuel 100 - Stock

Submitted by Ryan Hughes a Cross Country Rider from Marietta, GA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    constant rubbing of any kind wears off the black anodization.

Bottom Line:
This product seemed to work fine for me. The black anodization wore off very quickly from my seat bag. Now there are big chrome sections. Remedy: took the seat bag off. I have the 31.6 mm version, so it's a little heavy at 305g. Not that I care that much about weight, but there seem to be a lot of lighter posts on the market now. Very stiff, no creaking, easy to adjust. I just ordered a thudbuster, since I got tired of bouncing off the seat at the slighted bump in the ground.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim in moab

Purchased At:   stock on bike, Lakewood cycles, CO

Bike Setup:   Klein Adroit Race, XT/XTR, mars fork, monkeylite carbon riser bar, time pedals, racelite wheels

Submitted by Jason H a Racer from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    looks, good saddle clamp design

Weaknesses:    seatpost is narrower in certain sections than others...seriously.

Bottom Line:
This is for the Bontrager Race Seatpost.
I will admit I screw the bolt on pretty tight on the seat clamp. I do this mostly to stop the seatpost from slipping, a big problem I seem to have. I've finally figured out why my damn seatpost slips, bc its narrower in the section that I have it clamped at. I know this bc I unscrewed the seat clamp just enough to ease the seatpost out. My discovery: It took slighly more tension to pull the seatpost out after I passed a certain part (the narrower part). When re-inserting the seatpost it would hold until I got to the narrower section, slip past that, then hold again. This causes the seatpost to slip like mad when I have it at the narrower section (which I do). What gives, did I get a lemon? Anyways I'm going with a Thomson

Favorite Trail:   Middle Run

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Alien XC suspension seatpost (excellent)

Bike Setup:   trek fuel 98, all stock parts except for a thompson stem, XTR crank, and soon to be new seatpost

Submitted by Greg Austin a Cross Country Rider from Barbados

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Strengths:    Light

Weaknesses:    Cracked after 7 months of use

Bottom Line:
Wouldn't have been my first choice but it came with the bike. I'm about 185lbs and ride mostly cross country (no big jumps or anything like that) so I'm a bit surprised that it cracked. I will probably see if I can weld it until I get a new one. Thompson or Easton???

Bike Setup:   2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 1

Submitted by Christian M a Cross Country Rider from Innsbruck, Tyrol, Austria

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Strengths:    light, strong, durable

Weaknesses:    none at all

Bottom Line:
Very light seatpost, holds the saddle perfectly in position (in contrast to my former Kalloy, where the saddle was constantly slipping back). Seems to be strong and durable too and withstands a hard riding style. Screws and female connectors are made of stainless steel (I think Synchros uses aluminum - therefore it's not really for hardcore riding). Cheaper than Synchros and RaceFace.

Favorite Trail:   Tyrolean MTB trails

Purchased At:   Radstudio Thomas & Peter

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F1000

Submitted by Zeus a Weekend Warrior from Berrien Springs, MI

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2000

Strengths:    light, stiff, easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    if you call it that - logo on the side scrapes off easily

Bottom Line:
As stated below, it does what it needs to do. It's light, strong, stiff, easy to adjust, and has the Bontrager name on it; well, until it scratches off, but it's still a Bontrager! Get one if you don't get a Thomson; you won't regret it and you'll never even know it's there, which is as it should be.

Favorite Trail:   The Rubicon

Purchased At:   Universal cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy, Thomson, System Comp.

Bike Setup:   Access Ti/Manitou Mars1, King/517s, Bontrager ST2s, stem, bar, ends and post, XT Brakes and drivetrain, SRAM Attacks, Time ATACs, Flite

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from Centreville, Virginia

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Strengths:    strong, simple, Bontrager-quality

Bottom Line:
It's a seatpost. It holds the seat. What else is a seatpost supposed to do? I'm confused about all of the comments on this site about static parts. Spend your money on the parts that matter - frames, wheels, and forks.

Favorite Trail:   Elizabeth Furnace