Bontrager Comp Seatpost

3.27/5 (26 Reviews)

Bontrager Comp

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    Second real seatpost I've owned. Two bolt adjustment, different seatpost lengths, larger diameter and stronger.

Weaknesses:    The $50 cost to purchase the 45cm long version, the stock one when maxed out was 4" (10cm) too short, but upgraded to the Comp. version compared to the stock Bontrager one.

Bottom Line:
The best dual bolt seatpost I've used sofar. I don't think I should of had to pay for a longer one. Or just the price difference between the shorter & longer and the upgrade to Comp. would of been acceptable. But I feel a lot safer with 6-8" (15-20cm) of seatube in the seatube frame.
Bottom Line: Sofar the best I've owned/used.

Purchased At:   Earl's Cycle (closed 2003)

Similar Products Used:   Stock seatpost (nut & bolt) & Kalloy Uno (single hex bolt)replacement seatpost for 1994 Raleigh Matterhorn. Stock Bontrager (not Comp.) on 2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Dsik.

Submitted by Mike Sobie a Weekend Warrior from Menasha, Wisconsin, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2005

Strengths:    well built and strong

Weaknesses:    slips down every ride(because quick release not tightened) and seat wobbles(also because not tightened) really the only thing wrong is that it is quite heavy.

Bottom Line:
I ride around 30 miles every week. The seatpost does not bother me really. It is good until it breaks.

Favorite Trail:   Greenbush Purple

Purchased At:   Milhaupt Auction (came on bike)

Bike Setup:   2001 Garry Fisher-Shimano Deore LX/Deore Components, Bontrager wheels, seatpost, stem, and others. Packs, tools, waterbottle, and other stuff.

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Green bay, WI

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2005

Strengths:    Holds my saddle (sortof), good geometry for the first 10 minutes. Then it slips

Weaknesses:    Creaks like 98 year-old-grandma, slides like it's greased

Bottom Line:
I got this free from a friend. He told me it was crap, but my Easton was broke so i took it. He was right. I got a Titec Knock from Jenson. I know it's a FR post, but I'm heavy, and don't care about weight. Come to think about it, maybe that's why the Bontrager sucked. My friend and I are both 215 or so. So the bottom line? If you're heavy, stay away from this seatpost.

Similar Products Used:   Titec(awesomeness so far!!!), Easton (overpriced garbage)

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Hoosier Pride

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Strengths:    Holds my seat in place.

Weaknesses:    Realize now its kinda heavy

Bottom Line:
This seatpost has served me well. . .a few times in races it gave way, either at the clamp or by allowing the seat to move. The solution? Tighten it up again and be a bit more careful through rough sections or downhill rides.

I've since pulled it out and am awaiting the delivery of my new post (Thomson Elite) and found that it had begun to "buckle" where the clamp squeezes it in place. Can't say I'm surprised as I had to tighten it more and more over time to make it hold properly - and I've ridden it for a touch over two years.

Not bad - never broke or bent - but would like to find something that I don't have to think about when I'm hitting some ruts or bumps. Value is great b/c these things are CHEAP to replace. Overall, only average.

Favorite Trail:   Wherever, whenever

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Seatposts that came on my Huffy BMX, and later my GT Interceptor (circa 1985 - made me love the movie RAD!), and other various tubes of metal designed to hold a seat.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000, slowly but surely replacing stock gear with higher spec stuff.

Submitted by Joe Ianniello a Cross Country Rider from San Dog,CA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2003

Strengths:    looks hot

Weaknesses:    Seat post bent under my 220lb body!

Bottom Line:
Hopefully Trek will warranty this poor product

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   trek

Similar Products Used:   most

Bike Setup:   gary fisher/ khs dual suspension MTB

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2003

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Slips constantly

Bottom Line:
This seatpost came on my trek 8000 when i bought it. At first the seatpost worked absolutely fine. After a few months when I would be riding and i hit a rock, the seatpost would slip. The clamp is badly designed and afer it kept happening constantly, i decided to go buy a thomson seatpost which is absolutely amazing.

Purchased At:   RRB

Similar Products Used:   thomson elite

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Blacksburg, VA

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Strengths:    Lightweight, quiet, post never slipped

Weaknesses:    WEAK CLAMP, seat moves with the slightest hit!!

Bottom Line:
This post came stock and is the only part left on my bike that is stock. It served well for the first 9 months, then the clamp started to give way. I disassembled it, cleaned the dirt and grime and replaced. Then about a month later it broke free of the clamp again on a jump. I took it apart again and the ribbed surface of the clamp is nearly stripped clean.

Overall this isn't a half bad seatpost, and for being stock, I wasn't upset. If you do have one, treat it with care, and tighten the clamp hard!

Favorite Trail:   Pandapas Pond

Purchased At:   Stock on Bike

Similar Products Used:   Icon post..

Bike Setup:   GF Sugar frame, Black 80/100 (Firm), all XT drivetrain, Mavic 317/F219 rims, Avid Mech Disc brakes, King headset

Submitted by Rich a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2003

Strengths:    Set it and forget it. In the 2 years I've owned it, I've laid hands on it maybe a handful of times--but only to clean and lube everything.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Not a bad looking post, and it's worked faithfully for the past couple of years, too! If I had to buy a new post, I'd go with a Thompson, but as a stock post, the Bontrager is fine.

Favorite Trail:   Race Track

Purchased At:   Mission Cyclery (OEM)

Similar Products Used:   Just a bunch of other posts--none I could trash talk.

Bike Setup:   '01 Fisher Sugar 3. LX/XT. GS Rocket 9spd. WTB saddle. Avid brakes. Marzocchi Flylight air fork. Everything else, stock.

Submitted by Nate a Cross Country Rider from the suburbs of Chicago

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2002

Strengths:    I am still looking

Weaknesses:    The top of the post where the seat attaches is almost stripped. If I am sitting and go over any bump bigger than an inch it snaps vertically hitting me in the johnson (ouch, 3x now). I have taken the post off, cleaned the gooves thoroughly to try to save this post and me some money but 3 cracks on the nuts while riding is 3 too many. I will be at my LBS next weekend trying to get a replacement.

Bottom Line:
It is weak. It can't handle a bump to save it's life. I don't need a post to strip out and crack my nuts 3 times, and I don't think anyone does. I am not going to knock Bontrager because SOME (not all) of their prodicts are trustworthy. But read the weakness section above and I encourage anyone with this post to switch before you go home with pain in the place it shuldn't be.

Purchased At:   Came on my Klein

Similar Products Used:   Some friends have Thompson's - I am going to give it a try.

Bike Setup:   2001 Klein Attitude Comp - riser bar, front disc, hopefully a new post.

Submitted by phil a Cross Country Rider from golden, co, USA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2002

Strengths:    nice seat clamp

Weaknesses:    after 3 months, the pressed in/bonded top started rotating withing the post, and it got looser with each ride.

Bottom Line:
3 months is too short a life span. It was replaced by LBS under warranty--I had choice of used Bontrager, Kalloy or Ritchey. I chose Kalloy due to length/color/new.

WOuld not recommend

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   came with Klein bike

Similar Products Used:   Race Face, Kalloy (now on bike thru warranty), Salsa

Bike Setup:   Klein Adept Comp

Submitted by Brad a Cross Country Rider from OH

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2002

Strengths:    Ah.....Nice looking?

Weaknesses:    Well, just about the problem of not lasting more than a couple months before it suddenly snaps, and you are stuck in the middle of a ride.

Bottom Line:
Do not buy any type of product that carries the BONTRAGER name. IT WILL NOT LAST......I PROMISE!!! It is what I like to call "pure junk," an unreliable piece of sh*#

Similar Products Used:   Race Face, Syncros

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC Marzocchi and XTR everthing

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2002

Strengths:    -Light enough
-Strong
-Cheap
-Easy to adjust

Weaknesses:    -Fitting a new seat can be a pain

Bottom Line:
Okay, I bent my seatpost a few months ago and was in the hunt for a new one, the Bontrager was the only one that my LBS had in stock for a 31.6mm diameter. So I bought it as a last ditch effort to keep me riding while my Thompson was on order. After riding it for a while I started to like it, I thought it would be as good as house brand junk but I was proven wrong, now I love it and my LBS is gonna have a Thompson seatpost in stock for a while (hehehehe). Its light, strong and cheap, I like it. No flex, clamp stays tight, good post.

Favorite Trail:   Fire Trails

Similar Products Used:   Radical

Bike Setup:   '99 Klein Mantra Comp

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    fairly light, really cheap, strong

Weaknesses:    huh? I guess changing saddles is a little tricky...

Bottom Line:
This is a great component. Doesn't slip, doesn't creak, holds the saddle in place. It's plenty long and, at 31.6mm, should be plenty strong for, well, ever, I guess. I'm a big fan of Bontrager stuff, for the most part, and this is no exception. It is pretty hard to move up and down in the frame, but I think that's more a factor of the tight tolerances of the Titus frame than the post. I love the no-offset design and the total adjustability of the rocker bolt. I use automotive anti-seize on all metal-to-metal contacts (especially between the post and the seat tube) to keep things happy and creak-free.

Purchased At:   www.wrenchscience.com