American Classic Ti Seatpost Seatpost

• Polished Titanium

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from PR BC Canada

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2008

Strengths:    Lack of mass..Perfect amount of flex, easy to clean up, clamp system works just fine..

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    This post is just what the procdoc ordered. Yep it does flex. The ride is sublime, I dont feel any side to side flex when I hammer while seated, it matches the ride of the Sette carbon bars perfectly. The monkey had a nice ride to begin with, but the raceface evolve I had on was too stiff. I considered finding an old rockshox suspension post, which I also like, but wanted to go lighter. This one does it for sure. The clamp system is just like my wifes AC post so I knew what I was getting into, just take your time setting it up (really, its not that complicated)... My Monkey really feels like my Merlin Echo soft tail now, even smoother.. Oh and for clean-up find the BlueMagic metal polish, the best thing for titanium or aluminum..

Favorite Trail:   lots

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   No other titanium posts, many aluminum, carbon.

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey, rigid. XT bits, Avid Juicy7 w/160mm rotors, Velocity rims/Swiss 340 wheels, panaracer rampage 2.35 (ghetto tubeless), Sette carbon riser bars, etc.

Submitted by Ian a Cross Country Rider from Rohnert Park, CA

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    I added this to my Bianchi SASS and it is awesome. Totally smooths out the ride. Already had titec titanium bar, steel frame from Bianchi...now my whole body has comfy, flexible material underneath it.

Weaknesses:    None. But if you're RETARDED, and you can't set up your seat clamp properly, that could be a problem. And if you abuse it, that could be a problem too...basically, any sort of RETARDATION won't help the performance of this product...

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line is that this seatpost does what it is supposed to do. I can't see why other people have had trouble with it. Ti seatposts are SUPPOSED TO FLEX AND BEND...that is the point...RETARDS. I love it...especially coming from the stock titec post that came on the SASS...Totally softens up the ride while in the saddle. I have had NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER with noises from the clamp or anything else for that matter...My friend recommended it, got me a good deal, and I am STOKED!

Similar Products Used:   None. This is my first ti seatpost, and there is NOTHING wrong with it...

Bike Setup:   Bianchi SASS, SPOT rear hub, King front disc, King headset, titec hellion ti bar, Am. Classic ti seatpost, mavic wheels, Surly steel front chainring, Marzocchi 100mm fork with ETA, and White Ind. ENO freewheel (32x17 gear ratio)...

Submitted by brian a Racer from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2004

Strengths:    Strength, ride, weight, & looks--Overall engineering.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    Great product. I purchased the seatpost back in 1998. I am still riding it & now use it on my XC race bike. It's been on different bikes with different set-ups & saddles over the years & has always performed flawlessly. While I've had to repair, replace, or upgrade everything else in my biking career, I've kept on using my Am. Classic seatpost. A rare breed of bike component, indeed. Absolutely great. Thanks.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano & Cannondale

Bike Setup:   Cannondale XC race hardtail

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2002

Strengths:    cheap

Weaknesses:    - squeaky clamp
    - bends too easily

Bottom Line:
    This seatpost is a waste of money.
    The clamp started squeaking horribly on the first ride, and I haven't been able to fix it since.
    After about 2 weeks of moderately hard riding, it bent on me. This thing is a piece of junk, DON'T BUY IT.

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   various seatposts

Bike Setup:   2002 Santa Cruz Bullit, RS Psylo SL (garbage!!!), Sun SingleWide, Michelin 2.5, XT/LX Drivetrain

Submitted by Chuck S a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh,Pa.

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Strengths:    nice ride, finish, easy to assemble

Weaknesses:    WON"T STAY TIGHT!

Bottom Line:
    This is a part you should never have to think about - like a stem. Well, this baby won't stay tight - I'm 150lbs. and not radical in ANY sense. So I can't forget about this thing, which is not a good property for a seat post. I came on to see if anyone has a fix - I'm going to take it apart, and reassemble with heavy duty locktight. If it comes loose again, out it goes, and I'll be back to give it a "one".
    As it is, it looks good, rides well - I'll give it a three.

Favorite Trail:   roller coaster

Purchased At:   Cambria

Bike Setup:   If deluxe

Submitted by scott northwood a Cross Country Rider from san anslemo, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight.

Weaknesses:    The main problem with this seatpost is the clamp, as noted by others the clamp creaks and will break with hard use,when riding in Moab the bolt broke. I definitely would not recommed this seat post to anyone using it on a mountain bike or heavier rider.

Bottom Line:
    Look for a seat post with a better clamp design.

Submitted by Ben a Racer from DC

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2001

Strengths:    shiney and purdee, cheap, light!

Weaknesses:    nada

Bottom Line:
    best dern seatpost out there for under 40 bucks. why pay more for someting that came out last year and doesn't have half the r&d to back it up. american classic's been making these forever (since at lease the early 80s, probably longer) and they're great. i once had the fixing bold strip through the threads on the craddle plate and sent AC an email letting them know what happened. 3 days later i had my new cradle plate for free and some stickers to boot.

super light, super shiney, and very durable (considering the weight). other aluminum posts costs 2-3 times as much, don't look half as nice, and have about 1/5 the heritage.

get one!

Purchased At:   perf

Similar Products Used:   ultegra aero, campy aero

Bike Setup:   serotta w/ dura ace ace 9spd

Submitted by Elvis Karate a Cross Country Rider from SW Mi

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2000

Strengths:    Is still around years later

Weaknesses:    Design. Tall top clamp, weak bolts

Bottom Line:
    I bought a new bike recently and it uses 26.8 seatpost. I had this AC ti in a tool box. It still had the can cooler foam I had zip tied to the top of the clamp from the last time I used it. Using a TI rail saddle with some flex caused my 195 LB but to crush the saddle into contact with the post cause a hard spot. I thought this time I will use a Cromo Saddle and see if that helped. Then I realized the hollow bolt at the back of the saddle was cracked. As luck would have it I had an old road post laying around and was able to use the bolt from that. First ride and the to tall top clap still contacts the top of the saddle. How did I solve this... with my new Race Face seatpost.

Favorite Trail:   of clothing leading to bedroom

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Salsa, Thomson, Race Face, Ritchey, Shimano, IRD

Bike Setup:   Nicely (WTB Saddle)

Submitted by Anthony from NYC NY

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, Light, Cheap

Weaknesses:    Ham-handed home mechanics (like me) strip soft aluminum easily

Bottom Line:
    This review is on the aluminum posts. I like these posts alot. They are strong and light. The Top part of the clamp did strip out on me, but it was after repeated tightening and seat changes. A new one cost $4 from AC. You cant beat that. Oddball frame owners, take note. They have the best variety of sizes I have ever seen. I use a rare 26.4, and AC not only has it, they have it in multiple colors.
    Best part.... these posts are $20-25 on AC's website (look at the sales page!)

Favorite Trail:   whatever

Purchased At:   AC's website

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey, Kalloy, Titec

Bike Setup:   Catamount MFS, XT, Sid's on both ends

Submitted by Craig a Cross Country Rider from Allendale, Michigan

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2000

Strengths:    Compliant ride

Weaknesses:    -Price
    -Clamp/bolt design (creaky & doesn't hold saddle in place firmly)
    -Top portion of clamp is only 1/2" wide...not nearly wide enough to hold the saddle firmly

Bottom Line:
    The good thing first...the titanium AC post gives a nice, compliant ride (exactly what I was looking for). The clamp design, however, is TERRIBLE. In order to eliminate the incessant creaking, I tightened the bolt too much and stripped out the top part of the clamp. I got a new one from AC, but the post continued to creak. After consulting with my local bike shop a few times, trying various things (greasing seat rails, wrapping electrical tape around seat rails, using teflon tape on the clamp bolt, etc.), the post still creaked AND the saddle wouldn't stay in place...it kept sliding backward. Due to the fact that the clamp bolt threads into an aluminum upper clamp (weight savings attempt), you cannot tighten it very much. I sent the saddle back to my bike shop for a refund. This $140 post is junk.

I have used a Moots Laidback Ti post briefly in the past and the ride was very compliant as well. I may switch back to this post, but Moots posts generally tend to be on the small side as far as sizing goes. I spoke with someone at Moots about the post I used, and they said that the one I had measured on the small end of the tolerance spectrum. What did this mean to me? My 27.2mm Moots post was actually smaller than all the other 27.2mm posts I've used, and I couldn't keep the seatpost from slipping a little as I rode. I think I'll try to get a new Moots post out of a fresh (and hopefully slightly larger diameter) production run. Don't waste your money on the AC post (or the Litespeed ti post, which looks like a re-badged AC).

Favorite Trail:   Ft. Custer Rec. Area

Similar Products Used:   RaceFace XY, Moots Laidback Ti

Bike Setup:   Seven Cycles Sola Ti, HeadShok Fatty Ultra DL fork, mostly XT/XTR/Coda parts

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Alameda & Berkeley

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2000

Strengths:    Lo weight (trimmed to 134g) Lo price/on sale for under $20. Easy adjust/infinite adjust/positive adjust.Common fasteners:using SRP Ti fix & adjust screws. Strong: carrying 242# rider for 6 yrs + 2 yrs previous bike w/AmClsc same model post.

Bottom Line:
    Lighter than Ti or C @ 1/6 cost. (Check for blowouts on American Classics own website) Only viable 1-bolt infinite adjust using non-proprietary/orphan/oddball fasteners.

Favorite Trail:   Wildcat Canyon/CC Park/BayFarm I.&canal

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy OEM last 2 bikes - both replaced w/in month w/AmClsc

Bike Setup:   Cannondale M200 w/rigids / San Marco Concor Light KA (Cfibre rails)

Submitted by Daniel Boscacci a Racer from Aptos

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight

Weaknesses:    Poor materials, no durability

Bottom Line:
    I've had three of these posts. The first one scracthed way too easily, the finish tarnished too fast. The second one somehow malformed and now doesn't slide easily anymore. The third one had a frozen clamp which hindered the horizontal adjustment. For $36-$40 it is moderately priced, but should have better quality coming from such a fine company. Save your money and go for something that lasts.

Similar Products Used:   Shimano, IRD, Ringle

Bike Setup:   Road

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Saratoga, NY

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2000

Strengths:    One piece machined construction

Bottom Line:
    I'm reviewing Am. Classic's aluminum post. Not the titanium one. It's black, it's pretty light, it hasn't broken or bent. it hold my saddle to my frame. five burning things.

Submitted by Richard a Racer from Simms

Date Reviewed: October 22, 1999

Strengths:
    Strength, simplicity, ultimate adjustablility and just good engineering.

Weaknesses:
    None!

Bottom Line:
    I got the Am.Classic alumunum post with my used Schwinn. I got it from the locale's hot racer... 190lb., only knew how to hammer, bent/crushed a pedal, toasted elastomers, but nothing to the seat post. I had already had trouble with a couple...all with splines. If poorly tightened, and unless splines are clean, sharp and not galled, it's easy to get them off. Once they slip over one another, the mount is toast. I got sick and tired of remaking splines with a jeweler's file, just to have something to ride. I have a bullet proof Control on one bike, but it weighs 3/4lb., and changing or adjusting the seat requires fingers like plastic man.
    My American Classic has had innumerable miles, hours, races and crashes with just myself and the original owner. If that's not enough, as it's now my second bike, every guest gets to bounce it down the trails, including a 200lb. lawyer...8 years without a hitch. Occam's Law says that the simplest explanation is usually the best, and this particularly applies to engineering. The American Classic seat post clamp has no bells or whistles, one bolt to tighten it, and with one small bolt to adjust it, is infinitely adjustable. No splines to strip and gall,, no splines to keep you all day adjusting...trying to get it to stay in just the right spot. This is simply a good design. Those who've stripped bolts have almost certainly done something wrong. Moistened aluminum with steel or Ti bolts will gall...galling removes metal and severely weakens threads. Never-sieze is a must for these threads. Also, some people think that if good and tight is is working, even tighter, still is better. There are specific parameters that need to be adhered to when tightening anything like fork crowns and seat posts...proper lubrication and proper tension are absolutes...especially considering the prices and your safety!

local secret trails