Airborne Titanium MTB Seat Post Seatpost

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)
Weight : 219 grams MSRP : $60.00

Airborne introduces its NEW titanium seat post. Titanium is one of the best materials for seat posts because of its ability to deflect shock, and increase riding comfort. The post is manufactured from aerospace grade 3AL / 2.5V titanium, with a 27.2mm diameter. 400mm long.

Submitted by Topherocity a Weekend Warrior from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2002

Strengths:    Titanium, excellent looks and durability, secure grip on set rails, weight to strength, shock and vibration absorption, it matches my frame

Weaknesses:    initial length

Bottom Line:
Awesome post for the $60 I paid months ago. I love the slightly laid back slope of the stem which gives me perfect positioning over the cranks and my frame. It helps absorb those extra vibrations and shocks that the frame itself doesn't. I tried my frame with a Thomson stem (which is now lovingly cared for on my Wife's bike) and it was too firm for my tastes. I love the Thomson, but the Ti stem and the Ti frame are perfect matches. Airborne has been excellent with all my purchases and my suggestion to Ed and his stripped screws would be to call them and let them fix his overtorqued situation. Get this stem when it's on sale! My value is a 5, but current prices drop it to a 3.

Favorite Trail:   Cedar Hill 7.5

Purchased At:   Airborne.net

Similar Products Used:   generic, Thomson, Kalloy, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Airborne Lucky Strike Ti Hardtail, Avid Ti, XT shifters/f&r der., Bonty Race Lite splined cranks, Marz Z2 BAM, Thomson stem, Titec Ti Hellion, Mavic 517-REAL Hubs on Python AirLights

Submitted by Eric D a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, OH

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2002

Strengths:    It's ti.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't work.

Bottom Line:
I bought this thing cheap direct from Airborne. It looked good, long and light. A real PITA to get the seat on, and then it starts slipping. The fixing bolts were very hard to turn in the post anyway, and I could feel them start to strip when I added torque to tighten the darn thing (after appplying loctite to the clamp area). One bolt then stripped out, and it was in so tight, it was immunne to my screw out. Now I get to throw away a bad post and a decent WTB seat, since I can't get it out (OK, I could probably cut the post and free the seat, but that's a lot of work with ti)

Favorite Trail:   one with dirt

Purchased At:   Airborne warehouse sale

Similar Products Used:   Kalloy, Ritchey, Control Tech

Bike Setup:   Curtlo Mountaineer with homemade single speed chain tensioner.

Submitted by steve from York, Pa.

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2002

Strengths:    great clamp, looks nice, (you have to take off the seatpost bag to see it), very well made, very light, and easy to install.

Weaknesses:    pricey....until you look at Moots...

Bottom Line:
This post does a nice job takin' the "sting" out of sitting down on the flats. There's no pogoing, squeaking, or looseness. It will never need maintenance, adjustment or rebuilding.

Favorite Trail:   whichever I'm ridin' at the time...

Purchased At:   airborne direct

Similar Products Used:   none-not many are

Bike Setup:   old aluminum hardtail w/ lot's of goodies

Submitted by P T a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Strengths:    strong, enough flex to smooth out small bumps, incredibly tight clamp, nice and light, just the right amount of lay back (about 15mm).

Bottom Line:
Not only is this a truly excellent seatpost that looks fantastic and will probably last forever, the customer service (European sales) is unbelievably good. I am a fairly awkward customer but all my questions have been answered very promptly. The staff are always willing to help and you don't get passed from person to person. I am completely satisfied. Thank-you J.W. Sintnicolaas at Airborne. The bottom line is that the seatpost itself does a fantastic shock absorbing job. It's excellent value and the customer service is unsurpassed. Buy this seatpost if you want added comfort with no weight penalties and service you can rely on.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   airborne direct

Similar Products Used:   nothing fancy

Bike Setup:   airborne 2001 lucky strike with judy race forks and fat tyres

Submitted by Burning Wheels a Weekend Warrior from Dayton, Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2001

Strengths:    Ti, what else matters. Great looks, fit, finish, smooth welds and one of the best clamps in the biz. The welds were smooth, the craftsmanship was flawless, and the finish was excellent. They even have an installation process for you to follow on their web site (because the clamp is so tight).
Best bang for the buck!!!!!!!!!!! ONLY $60.00

Bottom Line:
I used to run a shock post on my other bike but after getting this Ti post I find it helps to take out the trail harshness. It is a light weight & very strong post. The seat clamp holds the seat with a white knuckled death grip (tight), it's one of the best clamps I have ever seen.
I have found Airborne to be very helpful, informative, friendly, quick to respond, with some of the very best customer service I have found in dealing with anyone selling bikes or bike parts. Buy it you will like it!

Favorite Trail:   Ceasars Creek

Purchased At:   www.airborne.net

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager and a couple of worthless suspension posts.

Bike Setup:   2001 Airborne Lucky Strike XTR

Submitted by Mikael Arnesson from Avesta, Sweden

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2001

Strengths:    Design, light, comfort.

Weaknesses:    Setup at the first time

Bottom Line:
It's a great seatpost that's even lighter than my KORE Lite post. Setup can be tricky the first time, but should not overcome the great value and comfort that this post gives.
The post also has a scale for easy setting.
Love this seatpost.