Specialized Toupe Expert Saddles

• Super-light EVA padding
  • Stiff carbon-reinforced shell
  • Lightweight and durable hollow titanium rails
  • Tough, light and water resistant Micromatrix cover

Submitted by HomebrewEvolver a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2012

Strengths:    -flex
-weight
-shape
-length
-switched to titanium rails (no more breaking, longer lasting)
-supports highly aggressive riding style

Weaknesses:    Must be adjusted perfect to reap the rewards.

Bottom Line:
I am 6'2' and float in the 190-200lb range depending on carb loading and time of day. I have very little body fat. I road this saddle for the first time last night and at first was a little wary of it. I was meeting with a friend in the town over to do some riding so after getting home from the shop I hastefully threw the saddle on my bike and took off. I did about 25 miles and then stopped on the side of the road to make adjustments. After straightening it out, moving it forward, and raising the nose slightly more I really started to understand what this saddle was all about.

My stem is flipped and slammed with no spacers, and I keep a highly aggressive position when I ride and unlike other saddles the comfort comes when I am in a low position, or on the drop bars, even more so than when sitting up on the hoods.

The comfort seems to come more from a springboard flex like characteristic that the saddle has more so then the actual padding itself.

Saddle is the perfect length, and has a great nose shape that I can just fall back onto the saddle with no effort after a long climb or sprint.

I actually noticed that I was stroking the pedals much more efficiently because this saddle allowed me to keep my legs closer together so I came straight down with my legs in a more direct line.

I must say that I believe the saddle was designed for riders up to about 185 lbs and below, and I think the saddle would be the best for people in that weight range. I will keep the saddle because I plan on dropping weight down to 180.

I road 50 miles on it and it passed my approval.

DO NOT get this saddle (unless the store has a good return policy) if you are any of the following:

200+ lbs
casual rider
ride with a high posture
you value comfort over weight, and function.

Submitted by SB a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, light, land ooks to be very good quality.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Great saddle. Comfortable (I usually do 15 and 30 mile rides, seldom over that). After the first few miles, I don't even think about it. No numbness at all! Seems lighter than the specs from Specialized (187 grams?), and looks great on the bike.

Duration Product Used:   Country Roads and Rail Trails

Purchased At:   Jacks

Similar Products Used:   Sell San Marco, Velo

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works SL3 Tarmac. Reynolds MV32 UL and Easton EA90 SLX wheel sets, Look Carbon TI pedals, Ritchey ProLogic Cabon seat post, S-Works Bars and Stem.

Submitted by KP a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2011

Strengths:    SUPER-COMFORTABLE
Lightweight
Looks nice

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I don't normally do reviews unless I feel very strongly about something and this time is no exception. So, I bought a Specialized Tarmac Elite last year and rode it quite frequently. One of the best attributes of the bike immediately became apparent..the Toupe Saddle. Wow...it looks paper thin and I thought I would have a hard time with it but that misconception was dispelled pretty quickly. This saddle is the most comfortable I've ever ridden. Outside of that, I'm more of a Trek guy...just a personal preference based on body fit and looks of their bikes. So I sell my Tarmac this year and buy a Trek Madone 4.5. The stock saddle was horrible. Long story short: after months of pain accompanied by several trips to the bike shop and trying every single Bontrager Saddle as well as a Specialized Romin (I don't like brand mixing and the Romin wasn't obvious), I bought a new Specialized Toupe Expert last week and stuck it on my Trek. Sure enough, all my problems went away immediately and my bike rides have been noticeably more enjoyable. This is the best saddle ever made IMHO.

Duration Product Used:   Trek Madone