Specialized Romin Expert Saddles

• Stiff carbon-reinforced shell tuned for ride compliance
  • Tuned-density PU foam padding is lightweight and supportive
  • Lightweight and durable hollow titanium rails
  • Tough, light weight and water resistant Micromatrix cover

Submitted by Jeff McDevitt

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2013

Strengths:    Until I rode this saddle which, looking from the side, has a very wavy outline, I did not realize that that's what fits my butt best. I had the phenom before this& was just plain uncomfortable. It has a straighter more horizontal outline. All the saddles in the past that I have found uncomfortable have been straight also. It takes a while for the thin foam in this saddle to break in but once it does the saddle simply disappears underneath you. I will never buy another saddle. i would buy it even if it was heavier.

Weaknesses:    When climbing ultra-steep stuff and one must sit on the very nose of the saddle then it is a bit uncomfortable because of the excessively curved nose, more so then happened with the phenom saddle. Also the front curvature of the nose catches my shorts occasionally when getting back up on the saddle. This is a minor enough nuisance that I still love this saddle.

Bottom Line:
Overall it's the best saddle I have ever ridden.

Submitted by Mark in Baltimore a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2013

Strengths:    Light, looks fantastic, comfy!

Weaknesses:    Nose sometimes snags on my shorts when climbing out of the saddle

Bottom Line:
This is the best saddle I've ever ridden. I've had an original Selle Italia Flite, a Selle Italia Flite gel (from the late '90's), a Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow, a Selle Italia Shiver and a Specialized Phenom Expert. The Flites were okay saddles and the best that was available to me back in the day. The Max SLR was the worst saddle I had ever ridden and caused sharp pains. The Shiver is a comfortable saddle, but it's heavy. The Phenom is okay, but I was sore after a 15 mile ride.

This Romin (143mm) looks like it should be a torture machine, but it is hands-down the most comfortable saddle I've ever had. Dare I say it, the seat actually feels good and makes me look forward to super long rides. Surprisingly, it feels better than the relatively greater padded Shiver. Specialized is doing something right with their Body Geometry approach.

The only issue I have is that the nose sometimes snags my bike tights when I climb out of the saddle. I am 5'11" on a 17.5" S-Works carbon Stumpjumper, so I know that the frame is a tad small for me (and that the ETT is shorter than ideal), but *all* of my mountain bike frames have been on the smaller side. That's the way I like them, and I've never had much of an issue with snagging. I have an offset post, too. I've already tried to move the seat back a bit, and that seemed to have helped. The snagging doesn't diminish my love for this saddle, though, but it's worth mentioning.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite, Selle Italia Flite gel (from the late '90's), Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow, Selle Italia Shiver, Specialized Phenom Expert

Bike Setup:   2012 S-Works carbon Stumpjumper

Submitted by John F a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2011

Strengths:    Great for the long rides -- have done many 60 mile rides, and recently a 100+ mile ride, so my testing has been thorough.

Weaknesses:    Sensitivity of angle -- makes it very difficult to remove and reinstall, and know it is right.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding well over 100 miles a week using this saddle since May of this year. Final selection was the result of testing several saddles. A saddle with curvature (from side view) works best for my rear. I measured for the medium width, but decided to try the wide version first based on other reviews, and forum discussions. It was good, but not good enough. However, it showed potential, so tried the medium width version. It worked very well. No hot spots -- amazing that a saddle with so little padding works so well. Key point is to get the angle right. If nose is too high, it's a killer. The line is very fine in setting angle -- a very slight change can go from great to terrible.

Purchased At:   Bike Source

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Avatar Comp Gel (not bad), WTB Rocket V SE (used 2 years -- but hot spots on the 60+ milers, several others that were terrible.

Bike Setup:   GT carbon road bike -- Neuvation wheels, ultegra drivetrain.

Submitted by willieboy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    Light, has a little flex, good looking and supportive

Bottom Line:
This is a great saddle. I have been riding now for about five months. Started out with a Fizik whih came with my bike. Switched to a Specialized Avatar to get some relief in the middle area and then went to this saddle. The Romin Expert is an awesome saddle. Best of all worlds. Light, wide (155mm) and very comfortable. Love it!

Duration Product Used:   PCH