Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

WTB SST Saddle

4.66/5 (64 Reviews)

Back by popular demand after a six year hiatus! The distinctive drop-nose design gives riders much more freedom of movement–to the tip of the nose on steep climbs, for example–and greatly decreases the chance of snagging baggy shorts while maneuvering rough singletrack.

Submitted by ClayP a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2012

Strengths:    durable

Weaknesses:    not comfortable, rails too far back for adjustability

Bottom Line:
I never liked this saddle - it did not fit me well. There is limited fore-aft adjustability compared to other saddles. It has held up well over 10 years though

Similar Products Used:   San Marco Aspide, SDG Formula FXR, Selle Flite, Specialized Phenom

Bike Setup:   97 Team LTS

Submitted by Ron Kopald a Cross Country Rider from Hillsboro, OR USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2011

Strengths:    Lasted practically forever, very comfortable, tough as hell

Weaknesses:    It's not made any more

Bottom Line:
Full disclosure: This is a review/Irish wake.
My SST98 has been crowning my old war horse since 1998. So..that's 13 years of service from ONE saddle. Impressive. and I've put lots o' miles on this thing. Granted this may sound like ancient mountain biking pre-history, but it's all true. After the comfortable as nails stock Ritchey saddle I had on my Bridgestone finally made my ass surrender, I went through several other saddles. I had an early incarnation of a Specialized channeled saddle that lasted ~1&1/2 seasons before crapping out on me. Then there was an old Bontrager that was fine but I didn't like, a couple others I can't remember, then finally this one. I love this saddle. Funny thing is, I didn't know until 2 weeks ago when I was forced to consider a replacement for it, that it was made in Italy and other people loved it as much as I do. This saddle has been through hell and high water and it's shined for all of it. The only reason I'm replacing it is that it's become ragged. This was the greatest saddle I've ever owned. I put trail miles, road miles, commute miles and drunken bar miles on it, and it was there for every single one of my adventures. I cannot state how much this saddle has been through and how happy I've been with it. I just replaced it with a Fizik Arione, so we'll see how that goes. But based on how well crafted the Italian produced SST98 was, I suspect the Arione is going to be around a long time.

Favorite Trail:   WInberry Tie Trail

Purchased At:   Pauls

Similar Products Used:   WTB Rocket V Specialized, Botnrager, Ritchey.

Bike Setup:   91 Bridgestone MB1 "Frankensteined"

Submitted by Bill Kirby a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2009

Strengths:    Long lasting and very comfortable. Also like the high quality leather and durable kevlar corner protectors

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this saddle for 7 years on a regular basis and still love it. Would like to buy another, but can't find them - not even online. Wish WTB still made as high quality a saddle, but the new ones aren't nearly as well made : (. I could be happy riding this saddle for the rest of my years. After riding several different saddles, I've learned that you get what you pay for. A quality saddle is worth every penny - especially if you want to avoid injuries or nerve problems and numbness. My advice, don't be duped by similar WTB saddles; they are not as comfortable or long lasting. However, if you can find an SST.98 Buy It.

Favorite Trail:   Widow Maker

Purchased At:   Century Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Brooks, Avocet, Fizik - but none compare

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic, Moots Titanium YYB, Scott Carbon full suspension

Submitted by Doug Gunther a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2007

Strengths:    elastomer cushions between the rails and seat soften the ride. Quality Leather cover, curved nose prevents snagging shorts when going from standing to seated.

Weaknesses:    No longer made. Hard to find.

Bottom Line:
Don't confuse the SST.98 with the SST or SST.2K - these saddles are not as well-made or comfortable as the SST.98. WTB originally contracted with an Italian saddle maker known for their fine leather craftsmanship to make the expensive SST.98 saddles. This saddle is extremely comfortable thanks to the unique orange elastomers that significantly reduce vibration between the rails and saddle body. It also has a softer "Comfort Zone" to relieve pressure against the perineum that can cause numbness. (This is the part of the body that contains the nerves and arteries to the genitals.) WTB stopped making the SST.98 saddle because even at a suggested sellling price of $140, it was too expensive to make and so they lost money on it. I've enjoyed the same WTB SST.98 saddle for the past 8 years! It continues to keep me comfortable now on my third bike. If I could find another one of these covetted saddles, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. It is such a good saddle, WTB couldn't afford to keep making them. It is the best saddle WTB ever made.

Favorite Trail:   Sloop Loop

Similar Products Used:   SST.2k, WTB SST

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blurr with XT, Mavic, and Sram

Submitted by Erik a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, light, famous WTB drop-nose, gonad cutout hidden beneath shell, strong leather, good kevlar edges, firm but effective padding, gripper section at back for hike-a-bikes.

Weaknesses:    No longer available

Bottom Line:
Not having yet tried a WTB Pure V, this is the best of the WTB saddles. It's not squishy, yet comfortable for long rides, it's light, but durable and it has a stealth cutout to protect you from pressure on the 'nads. This saddle is so good that I searched the 'net for another when I got a new bike --the SST 2k I found is a facsimile and NOT nearly as good, see my review on that.

If you find one of these, snag it.

Purchased At:   comped to me at Interbike

Similar Products Used:   Flite, Flite Max, WTB SST, WTB SST 2k

Bike Setup:   Manitou HT

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2002

Strengths:    It's a WTB. It's light. It works as advertised.

Weaknesses:    Friggin hurts my arse.

Bottom Line:
My butt has always hurt on this saddle. I have a WTB Laser V Stealth on my newer Yeti ASR and it is just so much kinder. The cover is just beginning to come off (4-yrs old) as it has held up pretty well. Bottom line: get the Laser V.

Favorite Trail:   Shindagin Hollow, Ithaca, NY

Similar Products Used:   WTB Laser V Stealth (which is so nice).

Bike Setup:   This saddle is on my '92 rigid Bontrager w/ XT top-shifters/XTR drivetrain. King headset. Crossmax wheels.

Submitted by GRR a Cross Country Rider from Panama

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2002

Strengths:    Light (Ti rails), good quality, SST shape is supreme, very confort, italian craftmanship, CHEAP.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I can't believe what I paid!! It was a real steal. Maybe they didn't know what a great saddle they were givin away. Saddle is a very personal taste. I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs. and this is the best saddle I've tried in my 20 year cycling experience. I don't know much about the tech crap involved in saddles lately, so I read your reviews and decided to try the SST.98 Thanks people, because this saddle is now my best companion of long rides.
I'd give 10 flames for value rating and overall rating.

Similar Products Used:   Viscount, Selle Italia

Bike Setup:   Schwinn GSX with Shimano XT drivetrain.

Submitted by mike a Racer from alexandria va

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2002

Strengths:    light weight, soft nose

Weaknesses:    a little stiff on long rides

Bottom Line:
after 2 years one of the ti rails snapped, I contacted wtb and they said send it back for repair, a month later I had the seat back with new ti rails...great customer service

Purchased At:   cambria

Similar Products Used:   vetta, cane creek, avocet air,

Bike Setup:   sworks fsr, all xtr, rockshox sid, cane creek wheels

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Oak Park, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2001

Strengths:    VERY Comfy, easy on-off, drop nose doesn't snag pants, nice and light.. GOOD workmanship

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses!!! Weaknesses!!! We don't need no stinking weeknesses

Bottom Line:
Best, most comfortable saddle I have EVER ridden.. I weigh 200 lbs and haven't broken it... Maybe I am a little bit less "gonzo" than some.. who knows.. I am real happy...I am going to buy one for my road bike and sell the Selle Italia Trans-Am on e-bay

Cost was high but... like they say

"High zute MTB... $2,500"
"Cool riding outfit.... $150"
"Great burger after ride .... $8.95"

"Happy butt..... priceless"

Favorite Trail:   POTO!!! Ride it if you can!

Purchased At:   Bikeworld.COM... I think

Similar Products Used:   Vetta Tri Shock, Selle Italia Trans Am, Selle Flite, numerous others not fondly remembered

Bike Setup:   Full Mega 9 Speed XT Klien (Real One) Pulse 2, with Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80... A real HONEY..

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2001

Strengths:    lightweight, comfy

Weaknesses:    weak rails

Bottom Line:
why did my negative review get deleted? there were also other. more recent reviews reference my post, but it is nowhere to be found.

Submitted by Tim from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2001

Strengths:    Very comfy, great nose dive for climbing, good looks

Weaknesses:    Expensive!

Bottom Line:
You know the saying, "You get what you pay for". Well, we all know it doesn't always hold true. But for this saddle it does. It's pricey but my arse has never been happier. I do long rides on rough trails, and on an aluminum hardtail it can take its toll on your rear end.

This saddle allows me to stay seated and comfortable, especially on the climbing where it counts. TFor those who were baggies (me) the big nose-drop keeps your shorts from getting caught when you slide back and forth on the seat, and really lets you move forward and stay seated on the climbs. On the descents I like the wider feel of this saddle becasue I am able to grip it with my thighs and really move the bike around.

I read lots of reviews before buying this because I don't have money growing in pots around the house. The first day out was a break-in day, and I was a little skeptical. But the second day I was singing this seat's praises. I actually get compliments on how it looks on my bike, and that's from people who don't even ride!

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Similar Products Used:   Vetta Tri Shock

Bike Setup:   Klein Hardtail, XT, Thomson, everything else is stock

Submitted by prc a Cross Country Rider from Batalha Portugal

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2001

Strengths:    Basically everything: Good pading, durable, comfy on long rides, Comfort Zone really works.

Weaknesses:    My belove no longer exists (crash), price, no longer made.

Bottom Line:
I guess the saddle comfort really depends on your butt. I really never liked the Flite, always had a good experience with the SST format saddles (more comfy than the SST.X. This was the best saddle I ever had, need to get another!
Took a fall and the nose of the 98 smacked directly into a tree, broke the saddle and the seatpost. Didn't have the problem with the Ti rails that some of the guys mentioned and I way 235lbs. I'd definitely recomend this saddle to anyone

Similar Products Used:   Most WTB saddles, Bontrager, and a selle italia flite

Bike Setup:   Hot Chili Lite Rage, XTR, RF Turbine, Hope Discs

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Lafayette, CA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2000

Strengths:    Nose design and appropriate volume and placement of padding.

Weaknesses:    kevlar fabric delaminating from the saddle. Same as the other WTB saddles I've had

Bottom Line:
At 210# this Saddle has held up well. On steep climbs the elongated padded drop nose provides the proper positioning and limits traction loss.
As with other reviewers...yes the fabric is peeling off. The same thing happened on the SST I had.
Just a little glue will do.
Having a full suspension set-up I doubt I'll see any issue with the seat rails breaking.

Favorite Trail:   Flume