Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

3.44/5 (9 Reviews)

WTB SST XR

Submitted by AustinShredman a Cross Country Rider from Austin

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2009

Strengths:    Now this is one great saddle! It is cumfy to ride on all day long, and it is easy to grab with your thighs when standing up and going down the wicked nasty slopes!

Weaknesses:    After a long day in the saddle, I do experience some numbness(you know....down there).

Bottom Line:
Get one! Look if someone ever stole just my seat....I'd buy another one of these WBT SST's.

Favorite Trail:   Barton Creek Greenbelt

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR Ground Control

Submitted by umberto marsella a Weekend Warrior from hawthorne, California

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2004

Strengths:    nice looking, thin and still pretty decently comfy, colors go w/ my bike, "comfort zone" cut out thing on shell

Weaknesses:    "comfort zone" should cut back more, but i weigh only 120 lb, so thats y the shell doesn't flex as much for me, not strong enough for the duribility and strength demandes of mountain biking, SQUEAKY!!!!, noisey, annoying squeaky come out of it all the time, at least mtb ur having too much fun to care

Bottom Line:
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!-for road biking, and road biking only. i dont think this seat would even hold up to aggresive XC

Favorite Trail:   Whoops in Brentwood

Purchased At:   came w/ my 2001 K2 Razorback Team

Similar Products Used:   old big bulky original wtb seat

Bike Setup:   2001 K2 Razorback Team,noleen front back, easton EA90 bar (for now, gonna put my old monkeylite on), EA90 post, wtb speed XC hubs and wheels, Aheadset headset, continental Vertical 2.3in in front and reaaally skinny 2.0 WTB nanorapters in the back, kool lookn carbon fiber headset-stem spacers, pretty much stock, havent had bike all that long

Submitted by Jacob O'Neall a Downhiller from Eubank, Ky, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2004

Strengths:    durability, strength, looks, comfort, value

Weaknesses:    mine lacks the comfort zone

Bottom Line:
Fantastic. The version I have is labeled: SSTX;2K However, I couldn't find a place for this specific saddle(which must've been made particularly for mongoose by WTB) It came on my bike which I bought on January 1st, 2002 and has served me well. I have no plans to replace it anytime soon, because it is extremely durable, which is important on a 5-inch freeride bike like this. I am going to buy a feww of these to keep as spares since WTB has discotinued them in favor of the Pure V series. I'd like to point out that saddles are a very personal item and each person's wishes and preferences might be different. That said, I like this saddle.

Purchased At:   c.o.b. (came on bike)

Similar Products Used:   many WTB saddles, Titec Berserker, Ritchey Vector, and others

Bike Setup:   2001 Mongoose Valient: 2001 Rockshox Psylo SL, Formula Activa Mechanical disks, WTB Motoraptor 2.4, WTB speed disk hubs/sun mammoth rims, Syntace VRO bar&stem combo (sweet), LX deraillers/ Deore shifters, Truvativ Firex ISIS cranks/ DH bb, Azonic Fusion pedals

Submitted by Toni Laitinen a Cross Country Rider from Helsinki, Finland

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Strengths:    Light, very comfy (compared to some others), ti-rails, looks

Weaknesses:    Construction a bit low quality, but I don´t care as long as it´s still in one piece.

Bottom Line:
I think this is a damn good saddle. I had a Selle Nitrox Gel saddle on my K2 for a while, but it totally killed my ass. I switched back to SST XR, and whoa! It´s so much better. Thank you WTB!!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Came stock with my K2

Similar Products Used:   Selle Nitrox Gel (uncomfy)

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback 4.0

Submitted by Armon a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Strengths:    looks cool

Weaknesses:    i killed it.

Bottom Line:
I thought comfortable bike saddles was an oxymoron. What is everyone itching about? My beef with this saddle is that it didn't last. The kevlar edges ripped and this weekend the rails bent. I'm gonna try a bontrager now and hope it will hold up to the job. You should buy it if you want it. You shouldn't buy it if you just like to buy things once.

Favorite Trail:   any trail in Pisgah

Purchased At:   Roswell Bikes

Similar Products Used:   other saddles

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M600/judy xc/deore/lx components

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Lagrange Park,IL USA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Price[on sale of course]. Light weight. Comfortable.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I was ordering tires and decided to add this saddle to my order because it was on sale. Then I read the reviews on it and was worried that i made a mistake. Wrong. This seat is more comfortable than my old saddle. It is narrower than the wtb sst, but it fits me fine. This one is black with the comfort zone. To me, seats are a personal preference anyway. Unless you try one out first, you're taking a chance by just ordering one online. But again, the price was right.

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST

Bike Setup:   Klein mantra race

Submitted by John a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2001

Strengths:    Light

Bottom Line:
I ordered this saddle then read the previous reviews. I was going to send it back but tried it and to my suprise found it comfortble. I purchased the version with the comfort zone perhaps this makes a difference. I found it more comfortble than the previous Sella I had (which was very unforgiving).

4 chilli's as everything is overpriced for MTB's

Similar Products Used:   Sella, terry's

Bike Setup:   fitted to use alien seatpost

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2001

Strengths:    fairly light weight
good looks

Weaknesses:    excruciatingly uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
I've got this saddle on my road bike, and am ready to huck it. I kept telling myself that it just needed to be broken in, but even after a year, its just as uncomfortable as the day I bought it. I've adjusted this saddle in every way possible, as well as adjusted the way I sit on the bike, but still haven't managed to finish even a short ride without an aching arse and/or numbness in my nether-regions.
Unless you like sitting on really hard things and primarily stick to short rides, I'd stay away from this saddle. Its fairly lightweight and looks good, but thats not enough to further torture my arse and soft tissues by using it.
Too bad, WTB's other stuff has always worked well for me . . .