Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

WTB SST.X Saddle

WTB SST.X

Submitted by halr a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2011

Strengths:    Fit, comfort

Weaknesses:    Weight? (Not really a problem unless you're comparing it to something like a Brooks)

Bottom Line:
I've used this on a couple of different bikes, ridden on road and off, and this thing fits me better than any other saddle I've tried. No issues even after several hours. It flexes when you need it to flex, and it doesn't flex when you don't need it to flex. Not sure why so many people hate this, but it feels like it was made for me. I'm looking at getting others for my other bikes, so send me your cast-offs, I'll gladly accept them.

Favorite Trail:   Fox Run

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Various saddles (Brooks, Avocet, Selle Italia, Selle Royale)

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey SS

Submitted by glengary a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2011

Strengths:    Will last your entire life. Just like any pet rock.

Weaknesses:    Feels terrible after prolonged use. It will NEVER re-shape to fit your butt.

Bottom Line:
After 2 days of commuting 20 km's each day, you feel the pain. The only reason anyone would own one of these is because it came with the bike when you bought it. There are way too many saddles out there to choose from that you don't have to end up with this one. I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't made any longer.
Bottom line, avoid it at all costs. If someones throws one to you for free.....duck and let it go by.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail I'm on

Purchased At:   Stock seat on New Bi

Similar Products Used:   I've never used anything like this before.

Bike Setup:   Giant 860 ATX. It has been a great bike apart from the saddle.

Submitted by cypher a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2008

Strengths:    resonably comfy, strongly built and didnt cost the earth, spangly glitter. have used this saddle for years on ht's, FS bikes, down hill bikes about the only thing it hasnt been on is a road bike. am changing it now only cos i'm having a bit of a weight freak out on my xc Ht and want a lighter saddle. rather surprised by all the negative reviews but notice alot of them are from people who havn't owned ot for long.

Weaknesses:    bit heavey and wold have liked it slightly longer for on the nose climbing

Bottom Line:
liked it. still in good nick after years of use and only being changed cos i wana get the weigth of the bike down. will be keeping it and will go on my next bike.

Favorite Trail:   any thing where gravity helps

Purchased At:   some bike show years

Similar Products Used:   been so long i cant recall what my last saddle was though i doo recall having another WTB saddle before this until i destroyed it in a dh crash, my dh bike has a titec berserker saddle which is also an oldie but goodie

Bike Setup:   cove handjob xc, juicy 5's, use seatpost mavic cross ride wheels. maz 100mm forks.

Submitted by kustom a Cross Country Rider from Krakow

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2005

Strengths:    strong, cheap, quite comfortable, realy long life

Weaknesses:    without a hole = sweaty ass ;)

Bottom Line:
I bought it with 'GT outpost trail' long time ago and after 14000 km I've used to it, I must say I'm realy pleased with it, it still looks almost like when I bought it

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   was GT outpost trail, is GT zaskar team

Submitted by Nosmo King a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2004

Strengths:    Reasonably light, Ti rails, very comfy, cool perforated leather cover.

Weaknesses:    Perforated leather let some mud in the holes and was harder to clean, but what the heck. It looked cool.

Bottom Line:
I also wanted to put in a good word for this saddle, which has been my favorite MTB saddle and lasted thru 3 bikes and over 5,000 off-road miles. I have a feeling a lot of the low-scorers below don't ride much. I prefer non-squishy, performance type seats, and this one fits the bill. About 270 grams, not feather light but not bad. Needed a replacement since I finally wore thru the leather on this one, found a leather/Ti SST on Ebay for $50. Hatin' life after 9 hours on my road bike this weekend, going to shop for a WTB for that bike too.

Purchased At:   Supergo, pretty sure

Similar Products Used:   Lots of Selle Italia, many Specialized seats, Bontragers thru the years...

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback, XT

Submitted by Christian a Cross Country Rider from Dundas, ON

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Strengths:    Pretty cheap, comfy

Weaknesses:    A little heavy I guess

Bottom Line:
I love this saddle. I don't know about everybody else who apparently hates it, but mine has served me well. I even bought a SST for my road bike, based on my happyness with this one. My next bike is definately getting a WTB saddle too.

Purchased At:   Freewheel

Similar Products Used:   I forget, but I hated it...

Submitted by CrazyCarl a Cross Country Rider from Davis, CA USA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, long life, comfortable, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    heavier

Bottom Line:
I had to add my opinion of this saddle to counteract the mass quantities of negative reviews... This has always been my favorite saddle. I feel that I have a fairly sensitive arse, I have tried many different saddles and always come back to this one. I never have numbness or problems going off the back. Plus, you can hit your local bike stores and find these saddles cheap 'cause they were pulled off as stock saddles on other bikes. The only problem is that it is kinda heavy. I'm trying a SST.2K next...

Favorite Trail:   Hole-in-the-Ground

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST.XR, Selle Italia Flite Max, Fizik, etc...

Submitted by Ted Welsh a Weekend Warrior from Westland, MI

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2003

Strengths:    Almost indestructable. Great for climbinng. Allows for that special 'between the cheeks' positioning quickly for the tricky climbs.

Weaknesses:    Not the most comfortable on long rides.

Bottom Line:
I hated the seat the bike came with so the shop gave me this as it had a slight tear in the fabric.

The rails finally gave out on me after 2 years. I weigh 220 so am impressed it made it this far.

Purchased At:   Local shop gave it to me.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rock Hopper

Submitted by Tequila Joe a Cross Country Rider from Calgary

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2003

Strengths:    Could be used as an anvil to hammer steel on.

Weaknesses:    Provided a "kicked in the crotch feeling" after a short 2 hour, light trail ride. This is WBT's contribution to help control the world population explosion. I had absolutly no desire for nookie for 48 hours after riding on this seat.

Bottom Line:
I road on this seat for 2 hours yesterday and that was enough to promt me to buy a new one the very next day. After 48 hours, my butt still hurts! I don't know which would be more painfull a 2 hour ride on this seat or taking a 6 foot drop into the seat post. Buy this seat and send it to your worst enemy.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Nothing can compare to this seat. Perhaps if I could bolt a brick onto my seat post, I might be able to compare notes.

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Coil SS. Stock setup except for a new Velo Plush seat to replace this piece of crap.

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Cambridge, MA

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Strengths:    Bludgeoning your enemies to death!! New form of torture.

Weaknesses:    Not fit for the human as*!!

Bottom Line:
I have only had my new bike now for less than a month. However, after the first time I sat on this saddle I did not want to sit down again. It has made me not want to sit on the bike and ride at all!! Right now I'm waiting for my new seat to come in and for nice weather appear here in New England. I have rode on this seat for as short as 15 minutes and as long as one hour so far, and in any case I feel used and beaten when I get off the saddle. On trails...geez, I feel like I just got out of Levenworth where previously Bubba was my momma.

Similar Products Used:   Rocks, boulders, dry earth.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Marlin stock except seat.

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from El Sob, California

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2003

Strengths:    Price was right.

Weaknesses:    50 hours after my last ride I still feel like I was victimized in the showers at Chino penitentary.

Bottom Line:
My posterier hasn't hurt like this since that hazing at the local Harley riders club. I've used this thing for years since I figured that's what the tough and cool bikers were suppose to do. Little did I know that the smart bikers go and buy a real saddle and use this thing as a murder weapon to baffle police. "Looks like he was bludgeoned, bbut the only thing in here is a bike seat. What the hell? This thing is harder than a baseball bat!"
3 piles of flaming toe jam because, frankly, I'd like to believe it cost me nothing, moneywise. 1 pile of flaming toe jam since after giving it the old college try for a lot of years, it's still a pain in the tuckus.

Favorite Trail:   the one to you momma's house

Purchased At:   stock with bike

Similar Products Used:   Nothing yet.

Bike Setup:   GF Joshua F3. Some stock, some not.

Submitted by Woodie a Weekend Warrior from Omaha,Nebraska.usa

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2002

Strengths:    I can't think of any! Oh ya, it works ok to wedge under a door to keep it open.

Weaknesses:    Cheap, weak, hard as a brick,

Bottom Line:
Don't even walk out the door with this one. This hunk-o-junk came with my Hoo Koo, you would think that Fisher would use a better saddle. If this comes on a bike you are going to purchase, trade it before laying down your good hard cash.

Favorite Trail:   Single tracks

Similar Products Used:   A 12 year old gel saddle, that is now on my new bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock 02 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Other than the saddle!

Submitted by Gail from Wheeling West Virginia

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    It's a little better than sitting on a rock

Weaknesses:    This is a poorly put together, uncomfortable, cheap seat

Bottom Line:
Avoid this seat. On the first ride took a small spil - the rails bent and cover tore. Within one week three of the staples which hold the cover in place came out. This is a garbage saddle - - if you buy a fisher with this seat insist that the store swap out with a better saddle!

Bike Setup:   saddle was stock on a Gary Fisher

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2002

Strengths:    better than riding on seatpost

Weaknesses:    rails are really weak, cover thing comes off easy, uncomfortable, looks stupid, etc.

Bottom Line:
The rails bend really easily. within the first month I had one endo at slow speed, and the rails bent. I bent it back some of the way and rode it for another few weeks before getting my new saddle. its really uncomfortable too. I dont find it incredibly hard like some people, but it is harder than other seats. it just plain sucks. I am very dissapointed that fisher put a seat like this on a quality frame. but then again, alot of the other components arnt top notch, but it is an inexpensive bike.

Favorite Trail:   Hobby Park