Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

3.93/5 (15 Reviews)

WTB SST.K

Submitted by KB a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Strengths:    Sturdy, good quality, light enough, good styling

Weaknesses:    Too hard

Bottom Line:
If you have a bony butt like mine, forget this seat, it's too hard. Thought I could buy a comp saddle since I had the cushy suspension seatpost, wrong answer. Certain bumps caused a backlash that just about crushed the urethra. Took it off the MTB and put it on my road bike, where it seemed comfortable for short rides, but longer rides gave me saddle sores under the sit bones every time. I'm sure it's a good seat for someone with more meat on their bones. Disappointed it didn't work for me.

Favorite Trail:   Fantasy Island

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   The Trek seat that came with the bike, Nashbar (can't remember model, but Chro Mo rails, thick padding and cutout)

Bike Setup:   Trek 950, Softride stem, Thudbuster seatpost.

Submitted by Allan Caldwell a Weekend Warrior from St. Johns Newfoundland Canada

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2003

Strengths:    Quality conxtruction, light alloy rails, Kevlar corners, Goes with the paint job!

Weaknesses:    NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEE

Bottom Line:
A great, comfy high quality strong seat. i got mine for christms after i tore the vinyl cover on my other one. is sweet. light and comfy.

Favorite Trail:   Kenmount hill

Purchased At:   Ramsays Cycle and sport

Similar Products Used:   Viscount(no-name), harded steel frying pan duck taped to seat post, pillow.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Durango sx

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Strengths:    Quality construction.

Weaknesses:    Hard - hurt my rear.

Bottom Line:
When my trusty Flite saddle finally bit the dust I took a chance and ordered one of these based on the positive reviews I'd seen. After the first ride my rear was so sore I could barely sit! I thought I'd just need to get used to it. Man was I wrong - after a couple more extremely painful rides I went down to the LBS and picked up another Flite. Ahhhhhhh. No more aching rear end. Maybe I've just been conditioned to the Flite, but that's it for me. Overall I'll give it 3 chilis because it looks like a well constructed saddle that works well for many people, just not for me. Just remember - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Similar Products Used:   Flite Ti.

Submitted by RICHARD HUNTSO a Cross Country Rider from ENGLAND

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Strengths:    Good looking, reasonably well made

Weaknesses:    Hard as hell

Bottom Line:
I know many people swear by these and they need breaking in, but I felt like the loser in a 24 hour arse kicking competition, it`s got to go

Favorite Trail:   THETFORD FOREST

Purchased At:   CHAIN REACTION

Similar Products Used:   Sella Flite

Bike Setup:   Kona Caldera, Z2 atom80 forks

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from malden, ma, usa

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2001

Strengths:    Durable cover
Great WTB customer service (free replacement of rails after they were bent in a crash)

Weaknesses:    none to speak of

Bottom Line:
These go on sale all the time for $25, it is a great saddle for those with narrow butts like mine. Probably not a good fit for a woman (who would have more space between the sit bones)

Getting angle and fore-aft adjustment correct is important, the majority of problems folks are having probably pertain to improper setup.

Favorite Trail:   Middlesex Fells

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   This was a replacement for the stock WTB SST saddle that came with my bike, whose cheapo vinyl cover ripped after 2 months

Bike Setup:   2000 Fisher Aquila with flat bars

Submitted by june lallas a Cross Country Rider from palatine, illinois, usa

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2001

Strengths:    its pretty. status symbol from the COST persepective...((puhhleeeze))

Weaknesses:    I nearly had to have my leg amputated from the pinched nerve it gave me in my seat bone.

Bottom Line:
It is NOT meant for a woman's bum. I ride fast single track on a hard tail and I thought something funky was going on when my right leg kept numbing up. Fortunately I realized my bony butt wasnt getting any help from the WTB saddle. WOMEN READ reviews by other women. !! We are built DIFFerently!!!!ALSO..unless you can get your labia surgically removed, GET a cut out ..or a grooved seat. (trust me on this) BUT ..man nothing beat the way you could Manuever on this saddle. I reserved it just for race day.
for training day. I had to switch out.

Favorite Trail:   john Muir trail in Wisconsin

Purchased At:   turin bike shop in evanston

Similar Products Used:   Avocet O2 Ti. Terry Butterfly

Bike Setup:   Toccoa, Litespeed

Submitted by Dennis a Racer from Alpine New Jersey

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Strengths:    The most comfortable saddle I have tried for my road bike. Smooth surface,nose tilted downward, takes bumps nicely.

Weaknesses:    It looks like it belongs on an MTB or Hybrid. To many bad saddles out there with the WTB K logo on them, they may look the same but there is a huge difference. Maybe counterfit ones are the ones being sold at $25 or less.

Bottom Line:
This saddle was a trade up on my new bike (above). My LBS had me try any seat in the shop until I was happy, most of my test rides were 20-30 miles long. I finally tried this WTB K seat even though it was meant for MTB bikes and not road bikes. This is the most comfortable saddle to date that I have found for a road bike. The saddle handles my weight (210-220) easily. To set up the saddle right for me, I tilt the seat forward a bit. No problems moving around on the seat, no numbness after 45 mile ride (winter is among us here)It seems by reading the other posts that if you mail order the WTB K you'll get the poor quality ones (BEWARE if it cost less than $50). In this case I would only trust my local LBS due to all the negative responses on this brand, this way you can always take it back if your LBS allows it. If I find a more comfortable saddle than this, I will take the WTB K and install it on my Hybrid, this is a keeper!

Favorite Trail:   9 W to Piermont NY.

Purchased At:   Bicycle workshop 201-568-9372

Similar Products Used:   San Marco, San Italia, Oasis, and many more.

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200 Ultegra group, Rolf Sestriere wheels.

Submitted by Dirts a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2000

Strengths:    Doesn't get hook on shorts when climbing
cool colors

Weaknesses:    A little stiff..But no numb nuts yet!

Bottom Line:
This seat is great except it is a litte stiffer than other saddles but definately worth the money

Submitted by Tim Parker a Weekend Warrior from Plymouth

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2000

Strengths:    Very comfy for a good one!

Weaknesses:    Not so comfy for a bad one!

Bottom Line:
After buying the saddle mail order I have to say it was the comfiest saddle I've had - and kept getting comfier - so I purchased another for my other bike from a different mail order company and found it alot worse. C***, if any padding, poor build and uncomfy! I don't know whether they're made under licence by different subcontractors or what but I am more than happy with the decent one but less than impressed with the ar** punisher! (I've rated for the good one)

Favorite Trail:   Whatever

Similar Products Used:   Flite, Club Roost, Saracen

Bike Setup:   KHS Team hardtail, XT, Marzocchi. KHS Full sus, LX, RST

Submitted by Hugh Ponsford a Cross Country Rider from London - UK

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2000

Strengths:    Looks good. Comfy with no numbness. Kevlar bits. Not squidgy.

Weaknesses:    Popped out one rail on my previous SST.K in a crash.

Bottom Line:
I'm with the people that love this saddle. I did manage to break it easily, but seeing as that was all I broke in the crash, I feel quite lucky! I'm quite light (140lb) so the fact that it is firm suits me. I also found that it softens up after some months, and develops more flex in the body. It is not a cheap saddle (in the UK) but can be found cheaper mail order. I would suggest that this is an ideal saddle for lighter people.

Favorite Trail:   North Downs

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Vector. Flite.

Bike Setup:   Saracen hardtail. Marzocchi Z2 atom80. XT. DT swiss wheels.

Submitted by Brian T a Cross-Country Rider from Middlesex

Date Reviewed: November 5, 1999

Strengths:
Cost me $15 at the LBS
embroiery keeps ya' from slipping
drop nose keeps you from getting snaged

Weaknesses:
HARD
staring to creak
kevlar patches too small to protect it

Bottom Line:
This seat is marginal.
It comes stock on many bikes so that is why you see a lot of them.
After 2 years mine is shot. The kevlar was not in the rickt place to protect it from a crash and the cover is ripping all around the bottom of the shell. Also the embroider is mostly worn off.
If you can find one of these in the discount bin for $15 or $25 it may be worth it... maby

Janis Dakar Team
Z2 A-bomb
King headset
Sun 0-lite rims

Submitted by Nick a Cross-Country Rider from Staffs - UK

Date Reviewed: September 2, 1999

Strengths:
Droop gives easy access/egress
Kevlar - no damage
Light
Looks good

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
Fits just right for me (at 180lb).
No pain ever or numbness(!)
Looks good. Embroidery gives good grip
It is fairly hard, but soon get used to it.

Peak8

1 Year

un branded

Kona Kilauea, Z2, XT/LX,
Richey SPDs

Submitted by Paul a Cross-Country Rider from Peabody

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1999

Strengths:
Curved down nose
Wide seating surface
Plenty of padding

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I don't understand all the negative reviews. I have had this saddle for 2 years and it has been great. I am no light weight at 220 lbs. but this saddle has been through many crashes and is still in great shape. If it can keep my fat ass comfortable on the rocky east coast single track then it should be fine for everyone else.

Ridge Trail Lynn woods

Specialized seats

Stumpjumper with Z2 Bomber

Submitted by Red October a Cross-Country Rider from Worcester, MA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 1999

Strengths:
Looks, the kevlar sides

Weaknesses:
?

Bottom Line:
Well, I'm gonna buck the trend. I love mine! I don't know about everyone else's, but mine has the WTB logo sewn into the top of the seat (you know, the part you sit on), which I happen to think looks really cool, and it adds a little friction to the seat surface, so you don't slide around as much. The kevlar sides are nice, you don't have to worry about it getting messed up when you lay the bike down. And I'm very happy with the amount of padding, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that my rear suspension has 5 of travel, so it takes care of my butt for me. I generally don't like the squishy gel seats, they don't feel right, not very confidence inspiring (you feel too disconnected from the bike, IMHO). If I had a hardtail, I'd probably hate it, as there isn't much padding, but I find mine to be very comfortable.

1 Year

The Vetta seat on my old bike, gel seats

GT LTS-3000

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Indiana

Date Reviewed: March 30, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent shape
Durability

Weaknesses:
Not enough padding

Bottom Line:
Excellent shape but it needs more padding as my sit bones ache after an hour or more of riding. It doesn't make any soft parts numb though. 4 stars, 5 if they ever add more padding

Schwinn Stingray saddle