Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

WTB Speed V Race Saddle

4.17/5 (12 Reviews)

• Multi-panel synthetic leather cover
  • Grey gripper abrasion resistant side panels for crash protection
  • Cromoly rails
  • 380g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ToddM a Weekend Warrior from NV

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2010

Strengths:    Comfy

Weaknesses:    failed

Bottom Line:
    I've had really good luck with some older WTB saddles, an other saddles lasting years on various bikes but I've had two WTB saddles with this design fail now. In the older WTB saddles they had a cut out bottom shell with a gray rubber material. The newer ones seem to have a smaller cut out in the bottom of the nose in the saddle with a blue "sticker". Twice that blue sticker has broken which allowed the foam padding of the seat to tear and essentially come through that hole in the bottom of the seat shell. This pretty well compromised the stiffness/integrity of the seat so that while riding it the saddle shell was essentially resting on the rails, not very comfy.

I'm not the lightest rider at around 200lbs in gear but I've had flite and WTB laser saddles with the older design that are 10+ years old and haven't failed. A comfy saddle and pretty reasonably priced if it doesn't fail.

Favorite Trail:   Porc, Amasa, Toads

Purchased At:   Local Shop

Similar Products Used:   WTB laser, Gobi, Flite, Pure V

Bike Setup:   Titus racerX, Ventana

Submitted by John from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    WTB name, confort, value, quiet and looks great

Weaknesses:    low-end rails

Bottom Line:
    I am done with Bontrager saddles, WTB recomended

Favorite Trail:   you name it

Purchased At:   jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   first WTB saddle

Bike Setup:   04' Trek Liquid 30

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Alberta

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2004

Strengths:    Comfort and ease to move from sitting to standing or sliding to rear on downhills.

Weaknesses:    None noticed yet.

Bottom Line:
    You forget about this seat when you ride which kind of says it all. Quality seems good and comfort is suprising for the size of seat. Durability seems good; I weight 250 lbs. Good job WTB!
    Good choice for trail cross country riders.

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia & Bike Mate; both gave me problems.

Submitted by Puzman a Cross Country Rider from Wallingford, CT

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    Very, very comfortable.
    Love Channel works.
    Durable.
    Plenty of support for sit bones, but not too firm.
    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Crappy quality control (stitching on Love Channel is off-center).
    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
    Great saddle- for the money it can't be beat. Its not a saddle for weight weenies, but it is the most comfortable saddle for all day epic rides you'll find. (SDG Grand Prix is a close second, but has gel instead of Love Channel. And it costs $60 more). I'm about to buy a second Speed V for my road bike. The extra 200g over a skimpy road saddle is worth it for the comfort and gonad protection, IMHO.

Favorite Trail:   the twisty ones

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   just about everything out there... WTB, SDG, Selle Italia, Serfas, etc. etc.

Bike Setup:   Titus LocoMoto

Submitted by Butterflutters a Weekend Warrior from Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2003

Strengths:    they took it back.

Weaknesses:    My junk went numb.

Bottom Line:
    My JUNK went NUMB! What else needs to be said? It was killing my babies.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee Trails

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Sele Royal cant remember exact name but its better

Bike Setup:   K2 Zed 2.0, Rithchey V2 pedals

Submitted by Jimm a Cross Country Rider from SoCal

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort

Weaknesses:    A tad heavy; chi-chi factor (the silver makes it "look" cheesy, dorky and cheap).

Bottom Line:
    WOW! In all honesty, I didn't know a seat could "fit" me this well. A HUGE improvement! The padding is virtually perfect; the groove just right.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Serfas, Selle Itallia, GT house brand, others I have long forgotten

Bike Setup:   '03 Ellsworth ID; Thomson seatpost; full XTR; Avid mechanicals

Submitted by Lance a Cross Country Rider from Fulerton

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Strengths:    Love Channel, looks alright.

Weaknesses:    Rails, rails, rails.

Bottom Line:
    I have learned the hard way that this seat is strictly for cross country riding. Did a 5 foot jump to flat and missed the pedals. Bye bye rails. They are now hidden well under the seat. I had ridden it about 4 times before this happened and will vouch for the comfort of the seat. VEEER comfy but do not do any jobs or jumps over about 4 feet and you should be safe. I do jumps and drops frequently so I don't really blame the seat. CROSS COUNTRY only on this one people. Think I will go back to the Azonic love seat for its toughness and comfort.

Favorite Trail:   The loop

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Azonic love seat, Giant seat

Bike Setup:   Kona Roast

Submitted by Robert a Downhiller from North Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2003

Strengths:    VERY comfortable.
    Strong rails.
    Durable.

Weaknesses:    Don't advertise enough.

Bottom Line:
    I bought a new hardtail about 2 years ago, and this saddle came with the bike. It amazed me more than any other component on the bike. I'd never ridden a saddle that was comfortable for a long period, but this one was immediately comfortable. Even after a 4 hour epic ride, my butt feels fine.

Almost 2 years later, the saddle is a bit worn, but not torn. The rails are like new, which is unusual as I usually ruin rails (and seatposts) within a few months as I weigh 230 and land on the seat a lot. And best of all, the saddle is as comfortable as the day I bought it.

Purchased At:   Cove Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Numerous seats.

Submitted by Jason from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    1. Tough chromoly rails
    2. Comfortable
    3. Affordable

Weaknesses:    1. Weight (if you care about that kind of thing)

Bottom Line:
    I love this seat. It's wider than my last Bontrager seat. It's softer than my last seat. It's better looking than my last seat (if you care about that kind of thing). It's cheap. The Love Channel cut-out really works. I don't struggle with numbness like I used to. WTB puts out great stuff that lasts. It's a perfect fit for my SC Bullit. I'm sticking with WTB seats. Money well spent!

Purchased At:   Price Point

Submitted by Matt from The Bronx

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2002

Strengths:    Super comfy. Very light weight. Cool red look.

Weaknesses:    I can't figure out which model mine is. A little wide. Funny red color.

Bottom Line:
    This saddle ROCKS. I have no idea what model I have though. It's Black on top, red on the sides. Mine weighs an honest 275g, which makes it a lot lighter than any other I've ever seen. I also have a regular Speed V (on my wife's bike), which looks identical except that it's gray, a little thicker from top to bottom, softer, and a LOT heavier. The red color was a bit much until I added red Panaracer Fire XC Pros, which tied it in nicely. This is the most comfortable saddle I've ever used on my MTB. It is a little wider than I like (for getting behind the saddle), but it's never been a problem. Just something I notice. Mine has less padding than my wife's, but for my butt it's actually much more comfortable. (She likes hers better, so everybody's happy). It's still a lot softer than my Flite (which I loved). I doubt I'll ever find a saddle that is significantly better than this one. Certainly not for that price!

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Speed V Comp, Koobi Xenon, Flite Gel Ti

Bike Setup:   K2 5000, fun parts all over...

Submitted by Holy Cromoly a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    - Price
    - Comfort
    - Looooooooove Channel

Weaknesses:    - Too many logos and graphics

Bottom Line:
    I have been actively cycling for 12 years now and this saddle has dethrown'd the Specialized Body Geo Pro as the most comfortable saddle for active riding.

The elastometer/rubber shell under the sit bones means that your sitbones never comes into contact with a hard surface.

I have been unhappy with saddles in general. It seems either many saddles are too firm (Flite type) or just too plush (Serfas Rx type). The ones that are too firm are good for preventin crotch numbness, but hurt the sit bones about 1 hour into a ride. The overly plush ones feel good on the sitbones but there's too much pressure on the crotch area.

The Speed V Race feels excellent and has the best of both worlds: sit bone comfort and no crotch numbness.

The shape is still narrow enough so that it's easy to slide behind the saddle during descents and tech sections.

My only complaint is it's overly designed graphics. There are just too many logos and graphics on it. There's really no need to brand a saddle with so many decals because: it's tacky looking, and secondly it's not even seen when the bike is being ridden.

I have only had this saddle for 3 weeks, so I cannot comment on long term durability.