Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

WTB Speed V Comp Saddle

4.25/5 (36 Reviews)
Weight : 395 grams MSRP : $41.49

The Speed V Comp from WTB offers a unique "Love-channel" designThat protects your sensitive parts while still providing great performance. Steel rails, synthetic cover. With a plush soft shell and deep supportive padding,This saddle will keep you smiling asThe miles roll by. Weight: 420 grams Rail Material: Steel Feature: Love Channel

Submitted by betorac

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable once broken in.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than race saddle.
Needs WTB "whale-tail" feature

Bottom Line:
I bought this saddle to have a more comfortable on my hardtail. It is comfortable but to my surprise it took a few rides to break in. At first it felt harsh but than became more compliant. This saddle doesn't have the "whale-tail" feature so under heavy peddaling you feel like you slip a bit. I prefer the Specialized Body Geometry saddles, but you have to try and find what works best for you and your body type. I would recommend it for some looking for a quality, comfortable saddle at decent price.

Submitted by AlseepInSeattle a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable!!!
Not too wide.

Bottom Line:
I am a bike commuter, riding between 15 and 21 miles per day from spring through the fall. Over the years, I have tried a number of different bike saddles, and been disappointed because they were not as comfortable as I would have liked. After reading the high ratings of this saddle on different websites, I decided to give it a try. It has been wonderful! I should note that this is somewhat narrower and more firm than any of the previous saddles that I had owned. Now realized that I was mistaken in my belief that greater width and softness would provide extra comfort. I only wish that I had found this saddle years ago.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Submitted by pillguy8 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort
Pricing
looks
durability
reasonably light weight

Bottom Line:
I have purchased 2 of these saddles in the past 6 years. One for my 2006 Stumpjumper FSR and one for my wife's 2009 giant trance based on my experience and reviewers ratings.
It is a very comfortable saddle for long rides or the afternoon runs to the local trail. I replaced the factory saddles with these as they were much more forgiving to the body.
My one that is 6 yrs old still looks new and only a slight nick on it from an accident.
I will definitely purchase another one in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   fizik

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper FSR, Giant Trance X2

Submitted by dynamite9000 a Weekend Warrior from creve coeur, il, USA

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable right out of the box. Rides high on the rails and avoids bottoming out on the seat post. Great price.

Bottom Line:
I have several of these saddles and they are all different ages but the constuction seems to be the same whether the saddle is 4 years old or 3 months old. They have all held up very well. I have never had one break or fail somehow.

Favorite Trail:   Wild Life Prarie Park

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   serfas gel, Specialized gel, Giant oem, Kona Velo oem.

Bike Setup:   Kona Splice with WTB speed V, Giant Talon with WTB speed V, Giant Yukon with WTB speed V

Submitted by beecrazy a Weekend Warrior from Southern Kettle, Wisconsin, Usa

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable saddle that was pretty good out of the box and became more comfortable with a few rides. The price is very nice!

Bottom Line:
You here all too often that seats are all a personal preference- with all the reviews on this one I thought I would give it a shot. I didn't want to spend $80 dollars on a seat that felt horrible (I already had one of those!). It is true that a squishy seat does not make it better. The "Love" channel in the middle reduced pressure and made the bike much more comfortable. For $30 dollars you can't beat it, therefore the 5! There may be more comfortable seats out there so I gave it a 4.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Bike Setup:   2000 GT Rebound- mostly stock

Submitted by BokorSolo a Cross Country Rider from Virginia

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2011

Strengths:    Stitching and material is strong and durable. Comfortable for all day riding and remaining seated while climbing.

Weaknesses:    Would be nicer if it had the whale tail design that is featured on the higher end saddles.

Bottom Line:
This saddle has been great. I started with this saddle and used it for years then I upgraded to the Rocket V when I wanted to try something new. After a year on the Rocket, the rails broke and I slammed the old Speed Comp back on there and it's still as awesome as day 1.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Rocket V

Bike Setup:   35 lbs. 29er hardtail.

Submitted by heybrady a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable

Bottom Line:
I was getting some tingling after about 30 minutes into my ride so I started looking on this site and noticed a large majority of riders had this seat. Reviews seemed favorable and it was on sale at Performance, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Been on three rides with it and have had no discomfort at all. It is firm but super supportive. Recommended it to a couple of friends already.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Stock Schwinn saddle

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Mesa mostly stock. Upgrades to follow.

Submitted by barrytroter a Downhiller from cardiff (WALES)

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2010

Strengths:    hi, i payed £650 for the bike (giant talon 1) i dont no haow much the seat is worth but the seat is a great seat only downer is that for me on long journeys it isnt to comfortable but a great seat and bike the bike is a very good and strong bike and i highley recomend it !!

Weaknesses:    on long range trips it isnt to comfortable

Bottom Line:
great seat and it is very durable and great for everything realy.

Favorite Trail:   lhangina downhilling path

Purchased At:   giant

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by Patrick Carney a Cross Country Rider from Esopus, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2008

Strengths:    Comfortable, Durable.

Weaknesses:    Weight (400g), it's only about 150 grams heavier than most $100 saddles though.

Bottom Line:
Comfortable all day long, isn't that really all that matters? No quirks (I can attach a seatbag to the rails, unlike the Selle I had earlier), just a tad on the heavy side but for 30 bucks, who cares? I give it only 4 overall chillies 'cause of the weight, but unless you'll lose sleep over 150 extra grams on your bike, make it cinco peppers.

Favorite Trail:   Taconic 909

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia

Bike Setup:   Kelley Steel Hardtail

Submitted by Asa a Weekend Warrior from Milton, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap, mostly waterproof (important for use on a campus commuter do-it-all bike that gets left out in the rain) comfortable and looks good.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest thing going, and long term durability is a bit suspect- we'll see what a year of rain and sun do to the synthetic leather... but for a shade over $15, who's complaining?

Bottom Line:
Compared to other saddles I have tried in the sub-twenty dollar price range, this one blows them all away. I don't know how it stacks up to $40 saddles, but it works perfectly for me. Saddle fit seems to be a very personal thing... so I suppose that buying online is always a bit of a crapshoot, but I can tell you that this saddle fits my skinny behind like it was made for it. :)

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Stock bontrager seat on my trek 4500, numerous other stock saddles and department store-grade saddles.

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek 4500 with new Sun rims and Deore wheelset, bb7's, FSA crankset, and one very worn out and soon to be replaced (but almost indestructible) Judy TT fork.

Submitted by Hank a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, TX USA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2007

Strengths:    Great Price. Looks sharp and of good construction. HUGE improvement over my bikes stock brutal saddle of pain and death. I read great reviews about this saddle and had to give it a shot. Simply awesome.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Buy this sucker. Your wallet and your crotch will love you for it. I am a big dude (6'4" and 280 lbs) and this saddle supports me very comfortably. I haven't tried any other saddles for comparison, so there may be better ones out there, but for the price and the number of excellent reviews it has received, I really think you cant go wrong. We just got my wife a Hardrock Comp and after about 2 minutes on pavement she could no longer ride on her seat. We swapped seats and while the Speed V Comp is not a Women's specific saddle she was quite impressed with it as well and we will likely be getting on for her as well.

Favorite Trail:   McAllister Park

Purchased At:   Performance on Sale

Similar Products Used:   Stock body geometry saddle that came on bike.

Bike Setup:   04 Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc. - (The bike was definitely named for the freekin saddle that came on it. It is Hard as a rock)

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Saint Joseph, MI

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    Relatively light weight, looks good, NOT an ass buster.

Bottom Line:
Excellent saddle. Relatively inexpensive, comfortable, perfect for a long ride or technical challenges.

Purchased At:   performance bike

Bike Setup:   2007 Trek 4500

Submitted by Patrick a Cross Country Rider from NNJ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    Very comfortable.
Not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    Material tears easily.

Bottom Line:
I'm pretty happy with this saddle. My OE saddle kept hurting my bottom. Ever since I put this saddle on, I haven't felt any pain at all. Overall, a very worthwhile investment!

On another note, the material it's made of isn't as durable as it could be. One drop and the side corner will scrape up pretty easily.

Purchased At:   BlueSkyCycling

Similar Products Used:   OE Saddle.

Bike Setup:   06 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2006

Strengths:    Great look, seems comfortable at first (and probably is for others), amazing value

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable after short rides, too wide and hard for a skinny or lightweight rider, poor construction (OE models)

Bottom Line:
After hearing all the rave reviews, I had to try it over my crappy plastic mesh saddle. At first it seemed as if it was comfortable, maybe a little hard for my taste. After only 20 minutes of trail riding everything was numb. Tried readjusting numerous times but could not get it to feel right. I'm 140 and 5'11 with narrow hips, and it just did not work for me, and really pressed against my sit bones. Returned it after using for a week, learned the lesson of try before you buy. I bought the "GT" OE version, and the cheap staples holding the cover on were falling off as well - might not be a problem on the original.

Purchased At:   JensonUSA (OE model)