Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

WTB Shadow V Pro Saddle

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)
Weight : 220 grams MSRP : $110.00

WTB Shadow V ProGel Titanium Saddle is ideal for any Road/MTB racing condition. Designed with a Leather and Synthetic cover. Love Channel technology with Gel inserts for extra perineal and soft tissue relief. Abrasion Resistant corners. Titanium rails

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Round Lake, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2012

Strengths:    Very comfortable, easy to move around on, long nose gives great control.

Bottom Line:
I got back into biking in 2010 on my old Trek 800 Sport and my A$$ was sore as hell! Tried a bunch of saddles and no joy. I even bought a used Trek Y5 full suspension hoping that would help (not much). My LBS let me try a bunch of take-offs that didn't work for me until I finally took his advice about a narrower saddle with no soft padding. Eureka! Found the Shadow V on eBay and tried it on both bikes. I now have two of them, one on each bike. I have not had any problems with the rails bending and have not enjoyed riding this much since I was a teenager. I weigh 215# + hydration pack and this saddle has stood up on both the ridgid and full suspension frames.

Favorite Trail:   Multitrack, Singletrack

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   trek, bell comfort, zefal, allbones, bontrager inform R, & inform RL

Bike Setup:   1997 Trek Y5 FS

Submitted by coop666 a Cross Country Rider from Blackwood gwent,Wales

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2011

Strengths:    Great saddle for the price- £20 in a sale, easy to move around on. Real comfy but then I only weigh in at 165lbs wet. Used on general xc trails and trail centre at Cwm Carn in Esat Wales- until a rail snapped last week.

Weaknesses:    Left rail snapped on a general ride out. Contacted Wtb last week to see if they still made it or if it was a known fault, but no reply. Not the best customer care- so opting for something else .

Bottom Line:
Nice and light but qality a bit of an issue. I'm not into big drops, but ride a mmountain bike where it's supposed to be ridden - on a mountain. A snapped rail after 18months-2years of not real hard use is dissapointing - no reply from WTB is worse, but for 20 quid- can't really complain.

Favorite Trail:   Cwm Carn/any

Purchased At:   Cahinreaction uk

Similar Products Used:   Used a Pure race V before this but found the middle stitching a bit of a pain in the a*se..

Bike Setup:   Specialized P1 all mountain,140 Marzochi's, Avid Juicy's 203 front 185 rear, DT swiss wheels, mix of deore and sram running gear, Truavativ bars, post and chainrings, Dt swiss wheels and WTB Motoraptor 2.4 Tyres. Weighs in at 28lb ish- climbs like a goat and goes downhill like a stabbed rat.Easily keeps up with my mates 2k full susers both up and down.

Submitted by renaissancebikr a Weekend Warrior from D.C. Suburbs, Maryland

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2009

Strengths:    Solid and very well built, comfortable, light weight, great looks without looking hokey.

Bottom Line:
What can I say. This is one great saddle. Very comfortable on long rides. Narrow profile means no chafing and easy to maneuver onto and off of on technical sections. I hear that this seat is discontinued. If so, what a shame. I'm considering getting one for my hybrid/tourer or as a backup.

Favorite Trail:   TBD

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   various other seats

Bike Setup:   Custom build (by me) 2008 Giant XTC: SRAM X.9, Fulcrum Red Metal 5 Weelset w/ WTB Velociraptors, Avid BB7 Brakes, Truvativ Crank,

Submitted by chriskoob a Cross Country Rider from Austin TX

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Strengths:    For me this is a very comfortable saddle. It is narrow and slick, so I can get behind it easily, It is also very lightweight.

Weaknesses:    I have owned two, and I have managed to bend the rails on both seats. You would think you would realize when this happens, but for some reason I could never pin point the exact time. I suspect it was when I was behind the seat and went off a ledge and my weight came down on the seat tummy first. --I also ride a hard tail, so it is more brutal on seats and weigh around 175+ camelbak.

Bottom Line:
I love this seat. I'd buy a bunch if I could find them at a disposable price. Each seat lasted me about 4 months of riding and racing. --Maybe 600 to 800 miles of off road trail use.

If your a little lighter (in the 145 lb range), ride a full suspension, or ride less agressively, this is a great seat. You might want some thing a little stronger (or this version with cr molly rails)

Three chillis on value since I bent the rails. 5 overall because I love the way it fits.

Submitted by Freddy a Cross Country Rider from cherry hill, nj, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, Comfy, strong and durable.

Weaknesses:    None for me

Bottom Line:
THis review is for the Ti Gel model

This saddle is very comfortable, light weight enough, and has lasted 2 years. I put about 300 miles a month on it during the summers and about 100 a month in the spring and fall, so I think that I have found a winner... and all for $50.00. I tried a lot of other saddles before I found this one, and this on is the best by far for me. Saddles are a very personal thing as far as fit goes, but fit aside, the materials and workman ship of this saddle are top notch. This saddle originally had a MSRP of about $120, but you can now find them as low as $50. I don't think that WTB is making this one any more so I bought a back up just in case I need to retire this one.

Favorite Trail:   Uncle Tom in RI