Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

WTB Rocket V Team Saddle

4.07/5 (15 Reviews)
Weight : 215 grams MSRP : $123.99

The WTB Rocket V Team is nearly identical to the top-of-the-line SLT version. It uses the same titanium rails as the SLT to keep it trim, but it features a synthetic cover instead of leather to trim a few extra bucks off the bottom line. The Rocket V Team is available in Black and White. Both...

Submitted by ron hans erez

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2012

Strengths:    light comortable saddle , look very nice .

Weaknesses:    Solid Titanium alloy rails are not the strongest, they are only the lightest and most expensive metal rail available. Standard CroMoly rails actually test out as the most durable metal rail over Steel and then Titanium. NiCro (some people call it hollow Ti) rails are probably the weakest, but they will typically bend and not break like Titanium. They are almost as light as solid Titanium, but less expensive. Part of the reason we typically don't warranty rails is because we are limited in design by the standard 7mm rail diameter size which limits the strength of rails based on any metals properties. Another contributing factor is the seatpost clamp used to hold the saddle rails in place. You might have noticed thay your rail probably broke right where the clamp ends. Titanium is notch sensitive and is most susceptible to point loads. If the clamp is short and has a sharp and abrupt edge, it is most likely to break there.

Bottom Line:
i use this saddle for over 1 year rode sround 15,000 km all aroud the globe and was very happy , then one rail broke and as i gave you on weekeness the explain i got titanium rails.
Wtb fred gave me a new saddle so for me wtb are o.k. that why i gave them 5 stars because thier warranty for 2 years is working and wtb stay and believe in thier products again thank you fred and wtb .

Submitted by korbs a Racer from philadelph pa

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable, surface material provides the right amount of grip and slip. light weight, narrow for manuveribility.

Weaknesses:    a bit short, sometimes too sticky, price

Bottom Line:
great saddle. Its form allows for easy transitions for your techincal rides and climbs. Mine has not had any durability issues that others have mentioned, which is a plus for me! I agree with a few reviewers that their trademark drooping nose has been dissappearing. I have found that the longer, flexy silverado works for my needs.
Unfortunately while out on a ride, a wet ride, while traversing a very technical riverside section, I lost grip and slipping loose grit and mud. This sent me sliding down the bank on my side, into the river. Ew, and also pulling one of the rails out of its seat, on my rocket V. I have yet to re-insert the rail back into the rear of the saddle. bummer!

Favorite Trail:   any!

Purchased At:   wtb

Similar Products Used:   many wtb: valcon, pure v, silverado, selle italia, velo

Bike Setup:   soul cycles dillinger 29er, 2x9 w/ x0 group, white industries cranks, king components, easton monkey lite, thomson titec etc. fox 32 f29

Submitted by phlegm a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    Lightweight (Ti rails), surprisingly comfortable, looks cool

Weaknesses:    Relatively expensive, not the most comfortable saddle I've used, but there are always tradeoffs. Saddle details are white, and get dirty quickly.

Bottom Line:
FYI, the WTB Race Team saddle looks very different from the picture shown in the review (see their site).

The one area I'm willing to trade weight for comfort is with the saddle. I've purchased other lightweight saddles, only to be really disappointed (and sore). While this saddle isn't plush by any means, it's decent, especially if you wear biking shorts with the "chamois". It's a light saddle, and thus far it's the best combo of weight and comfort I've found yet.

Purchased At:   Jenson

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2011

Strengths:    Fairly light, good looking

Weaknesses:    not comfortable for my arse

Bottom Line:
Less than 1 month using it and I am ready to give my opinion. Not so comfy for my legs, it is constantly rubbing me. Just not the saddle for me, but it does not mean it is bad or it can't work well for you.

Favorite Trail:   Condor

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Gobi (not the XM version, just standard - best saddle I have ever owned), many velos, serfas, selle italia, specialized models

Bike Setup:   Banshee Viento w/RS Sektor Coil U-Turn maxle 20mm, SLX/Saint, hayes gram, supra 28 rims w/sealed novatec hubs nd pillar spokes, etc etc

Submitted by mtbbiker@heart a Cross Country Rider from So Cal

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2009

Strengths:    Construction (well made), Comfortable, no numbness.

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
Being a 200+lb rider, I could not ride more than 5 miles without going numb in the saddle. I tried diferent version of gel saddles, gel type shorts with no improvement. First ride out of the box, I had no numbeness for the entire ride. I have gone back to my basic chamois style shorts, and can ride in complete comfort. The narrower saddle with the "love" channel did the trick. I would recommend this saddle to all you guys out there that have ever suffered any discomfort in the saddle. I also like the one piece smooth saddle vs. SLT multi material. It removes any seam rubbing that could cause discomfort.

Favorite Trail:   Hurkey Creek

Similar Products Used:   Gel saddles of various manufacturers.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel, XT grouping

Submitted by str8 a Weekend Warrior from FM, Tx

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2009

Strengths:    Comfort

Weaknesses:    No Flash

Bottom Line:
The best thing you can say about a new saddle - I never once thought about it. Like an old friend from the first pedal stroke.

Favorite Trail:   FRR, Comfort, Tx

Purchased At:   Team LBS

Submitted by tj90 a Cross Country Rider from oceanside, ca

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2009

Strengths:    comfortable and light, kevlar where it counts and not "hot spots" from stitching.

Weaknesses:    cant think of any

Bottom Line:
I actually dreaded buying a new saddle. Why? because I have trouble getting a comfortable saddle. I will sacrifice weight for comfort. Im happy to report that this saddle gives you both comfort and light weight. It has great cushion that is not too "spongy". It tips the scales at respectable ~200g. I used to ride a very old turbo and changed to niscene that was OKAY. I think this WTB product is a great upgrade. I havent even come close to getting numb nuts with this one!

Favorite Trail:   close

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   all kinds, have and love Brooks on my road bike so Im a saddle snob

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by Plats a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Tx

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2008

Strengths:    Secure Fit, Easy to manuver on, reduced pain (eventually)

Weaknesses:    Can be sticky (leather), kinda small

Bottom Line:
My smallest seat to date, kept finding each subsequent smaller saddle I used to be more desirable than the previous (however, may have crossed the line a bit with this one). Despite its small size (its narrow and short), it does eventually break in and become quite comfortable. It flexes in the middle a lot from its original shape to flat on hard bumps during rides (you would never know, though, noticed this by pressing on it later). Very brutal but short break-in period (less than 10 hours). I plan to keep using it, I like it pretty good.

Favorite Trail:   RHR

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Various Specialized BG seats

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper 29er

Submitted by Henk a Cross Country Rider from Griningen, Netherladns

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent fit, can ride it for extended times without loss of feeling/tingling sensation, even with simple jeans, small enough in the front to prevent irritating inside of legs.

Weaknesses:    rails squeq, some wd40 solved this though.

Bottom Line:
WTB is rather unknown an difficult to purchase in the Netherlands. Most riders discard it when they buy a bike because they have never heard of it. So I got this out of the sales-basket for an incredible $15 at the LBS to fit my commuterbike. After riding it I quickly mounted it on the XC, and now regard it as the best saddle I have.
So for Dutch readers: look for that box/basket in the corner that says € 10,- for WTB saddles!

Favorite Trail:   dirt roads

Similar Products Used:   wtb comfort V, several selle italia, low cost stuff, lepper

Bike Setup:   xc-road type, cross-hybride

Submitted by Robert Casper a Weekend Warrior from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2007

Strengths:    Very light, narrow, comfortable, kevlar corners

Weaknesses:    None for me

Bottom Line:
This saddle turned out to be a terrific upgrade from the various Specialized seats I've had. Much narrower, easier to maneuver on. Fits me quite well -- soft but not too soft, and distributes my weight well. And it's crazy light, too. Plus, the kevlar corners are nice -- durable.

Favorite Trail:   East R

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Various Specialized MTB seats

Bike Setup:   Tricked out '98 Stumpie

Submitted by Brady a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, UT. USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2007

Strengths:    narrow, firm yet cushy, drop nose, lite.

Weaknesses:    Limited slip synth-leather cover and lack of trademark droop to the nose of the saddle.

Bottom Line:
The narrow Rocket V saddle is well suited for those of us who enjoy the type of technical riding that requires a rider to exit and remount a saddle from over the back. the trademark WTB drop nose is well suited for those of us who enjoy long steep climbs without that "prostate check" feeling. I've been a loyal fan of WTB saddles for over a decade now but it's time for a little tough love.... the trademark drooping nose is no longer as flacid as it once was, making the above mentioned long climbs less comfortable, making WTB saddles slightly less attractive to me, but my main gripe about this saddle is it's limited-slip synth-leather surface. it feels identical to riding on a wet, leather saddle. when transitioning from the front of this saddle to the back or v-v, you can no longer just slide along your saddle, you'll need to slightly unweight the saddle move and reseat. not only is this a new technique to master and a waste of energy, if you don't do this you'll find yourself perpetually re-adjusting your chamois. I understand this isn't a design flaw but a design change I felt worthy of commenting on so others may be aware of this, "To slip or not to slip, that is the question."

Favorite Trail:   The dirt ones

Similar Products Used:   I've used other saddles, but nothing worthy of being called "similar" to a WTB saddle.

Bike Setup:   A sturdy full suspension frame, matched up with durable high quality components that match the type and style of riding I enjoy.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2007

Strengths:    Relatively light, strong, and keeps my butt feeling good for hours.

Weaknesses:    Leather cover isn't too durable, especially when subjected to wet riding conditions.

Bottom Line:
Good seat, good price, wish the cover were a bit more durable.

Purchased At:   Carolina Fatz

Similar Products Used:   name it...

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5 EVP, XT, Thompson, I-9

Submitted by Ray a Weekend Warrior from Cumming, Ga, USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    The one piece leather cover has no stitching to tear or create irratation.

Weaknesses:    Whale tale design is annoying

Bottom Line:
Although the seat is fairly comfortable on level ground, the whale tail is just too high to slide over without catching clothing and your twigs and berries. Switched to the WTB Shadow and was able to get the same comfort without the whale tail.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Yargo