Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

WTB Rocket V Stealth Saddle

Weight : 225 grams MSRP : $130.00

It's no surprise that so much praise has been given to the Rocket V. Its fit is legendary, and it's look distinct. The Rocket V, with its Love Channel, Comfort Zone feature, and smaller Whale-Tail pedaling platform, is the choice of many top professionals.

• Rails: Titanium
  • Cover: Leather

Submitted by RiftZone a Weekend Warrior from Guam

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2010

Strengths:    To date this is the best saddle I have used thus far. Comfortable yet narrow enough to slide back and lean behind the saddle on steep drops. The curve of the saddle cradles your sitting area in the center, the center of the shell has a cutout prevents hotspots with just the right amount of padding, not too thin or too thick. Looks great with the silver and black color scheme, even after 5 years. I have the titanium rails version and it's light. I'm buying the same saddle when it's time for a replacement.

Weaknesses:    stitching on the nose is wears out, fake carbon fiber love channel cover is cheesey and already peeling off after several rainy trail rides.

Bottom Line:
Get this saddle if you're tired of the usual 'Weapons of Ass Destruction'. Everybody is different anatomically and saddles are tough to buy without sitting on them first hand, but just like everyone here who reviewed it I totally love this product.

Favorite Trail:   anything with dirt

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Fi'zi:k, SDG and several Cannondale saddles,

Bike Setup:   Huffy 7-speed, chrome kickstand, whitewall 2.1 tires.

Submitted by rob1208lv a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Strengths:    looks, light, love channel

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
Nothing better in my opinion, but seats are personal preference if you ask me.. I just got a white and red one for my niner, but I have had a silver on for 2 years now it's seen 3 bikes....

Similar Products Used:   stock seats

Bike Setup:   2 bike with this seat
a Niner EMD
a Transition covert..

Submitted by jreedesq a Racer from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2008

Strengths:    Most comfortable Seat I've owned, period. Only slightly heavier than the ssm aspide and similiar race saddles that don't offer much comfort or padding. The dip fits me well. Much lighter than some other saddles I've had that were almost as comfy. I think it's reasonably priced considering what the weight and the price of the european competition.

Weaknesses:    Durability?? I've seen a few of these broken, although I've not broken one myself. The soft spot seems to sag after a few years.

Bottom Line:
I've got 3 bikes. All 3 bikes so I have to have 3 of these saddles. My XC race bike has such nice parts on it I'm thinking of getting another SS hardtail for bad conditions. If so I'll be buying a 4th.

Purchased At:   Cedar Bluff Cycles

Similar Products Used:   SSM Aspide (x3) SSM Aspide with the cutout (much less comfy than the normal Aspide, Selle Italia Flite and Some Flite variates. Fizik (nice but usually heavy).

Bike Setup:   2008 Yeti AS-R Carbon, 24.5 lbs, 1987 Torrelli Cross/Commuter Bike, Lugged Steel, 24.5 lbs, 2003 Trek 5500 Road Bike,9-spd Dura-Ace, 17.25 lbs.

Submitted by Pedal from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2008

Strengths:    Got that well known Rocket V comfort at a racing light weight

Weaknesses:    Harder than a Rocket V SLT and way harder than a Rocket V Race

Bottom Line:
Mate this seat with a light seatpost and ur bike will certainly lose that top heavy feel - the lightest comfortable seat I've found. Apart from a little expected 'throw down' wear on the back corners none of my Rocket seats have let me down - the rails and covers have taken years of abuse.

I've got 3 Rocket V models on different bikes at any one time and I'll briefly compare them. As you move from the Race to the SLT to the Stealth the changes are as expected:
1 $$$$$$ - the Stealth is not a very cheap seat
2 Weight - The Race is trail heavy the Stealth race light
3 Comfort - To me there is a real and surprisingly large difference in comfort - the Race model is plush and I've hardly ever got saddle sore even on long hard rides. The SLT is slightly less comfortable but for me the Stealth is only a 'comfortable' seat in a lightweight, racing context.
This seat has drawn blood in endurance races. Now I only use the Stealth for rides under about 2hrs and I'm happy to trade off the extra weight of the Race model for extra comfort on longer hauls.

Despite this, I doubt you'll find better comfort and durability than a Rocket V at any of these levels of price or weight.

Similar Products Used:   Many years ago I rode bikes with other brands of seat but once ur on a Rocket there's no going back

Bike Setup:   Always swapping these seats between different bikes

Submitted by Steve from Dripping Springs, TX

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2007

Strengths:    comfortable, supportive, easy to move around on, light

Bottom Line:
Love this seat, I'm always in the right position, feel good when I'm done.

Similar Products Used:   Pure V

Bike Setup:   Lenz Leviathan, all XTR, BB7, Monkey Light, Thomson, King, Curiak wheels

Submitted by kenneth adadams a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2007

Strengths:    Comfy hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
its cushy but it doesnt feel slow,
which the speed v does

Weaknesses:    if you bought a more expensive saddle then you've been ripeed off coz this is awesome

Bottom Line:
comfy hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and light and fast and hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Favorite Trail:   brickhill woods

Purchased At:   chain reaction cycles

Similar Products Used:   WTB speed v

Bike Setup:   i have a gt avalanche 1.0 which i upgraded to xt chainset, mechs and shifters and i replaced my speed v seat for this.

Submitted by SOGOAK a Cross Country Rider from Chicaaga

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2007

Strengths:    Leather Cover, DNA Padding that molds to you, Love Channel, Light TI Rails, Stiching lasts, Reflective Corners

Bottom Line:
Like a couple of other posters said, THE BEST. I've ridden this saddle pretty hard for years. I noticed them onsale for $79 at PMart and Beyond.

I am getting a new one.

If you see one at that rate, get it. You'll be happy.

The first 10 rides will be good, but after that, the saddle will be unbelievably comfortable.

This saddle looks good and is not a gimmick piece.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Terry Dragonfly and 1st Gen Specialized Body Geometry

Bike Setup:   96 Klein Pulse Comp, Manitou Skareb Super, Thompson post/stem, Easton Moneylite riser, king headset, Sram X.9 twisters/shifters, x.0 Cassette and chain, Avid Arch Rival/Speed Dial 7 brakes, WTB Rocket Stealth Team TI Saddle, Ritchey ROCK/OCR Rims 32 Hole Laced to LX hubs.

Submitted by Justin Cashion a Cross Country Rider from Franklin, NC USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2007

Strengths:    Leather is nice and it is constructed extremely well. Love the Love Channel! Ti rails keep the weight down.

Weaknesses:    Nada

Bottom Line:
I love this saddle! Got it at cost from my old job, and I love it. Everyone should be given one with the purchase of a bike. Never ridden a more comfortable saddle! wish I had one for the road bike, too...Hmmmmmm

Favorite Trail:   Where there's dirt

Purchased At:   Carolina Bikeworks (R.I.P)

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia

Bike Setup:   Salsa Moto Rapido

Submitted by Dalton a Cross Country Rider from Johnson City, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    Very comfortable, light.

Weaknesses:    None found yet.

Bottom Line:
Very comfy. It is on a road bike. The back edge of the seat is well padded allowing me to slide back and comfortably hang my butt off the back edge for a better climbing position when slogging up the mountains around here. I have had a cheaper model of wtb rocket with CroMo rails on the mountain bike for a few years and it has held up well.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo mountain

Similar Products Used:   fizik arionne, some selle italia with a cut out, wtb shadow, old selle italia 'shark', and a few brooks pros a couple of decades ago.

Bike Setup:   Giant Team Once aluminum with Mizuno carbon fork, ksyrium wheels, campy record components.

Submitted by patrick a Cross Country Rider from colorado springs

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    Light, very comfortable, seems durable.

Weaknesses:    None found.

Bottom Line:
Great saddle, very comfortable and light. Nice on steep technical downhills, quickly can get behind it. Not much else, it's a saddle.

Similar Products Used:   fizik

Submitted by Simon from Canberra, ACT, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2007

Strengths:    Narrow, Flat, all leather, minimal padding, Ti rails, light weight, Small V and 'Crush Zone" for your vein to your boys.

Weaknesses:    The colour! White is pretty easy to get dirty. I think it looks good but practically you've got to expect it to get dirty. The saddle doesn't have much crash protection - so if you crash often and your bike keeps endo-ing further than you do, look to the Rocket V's which have more durable construction. This is a Racing saddle!

Bottom Line:
This saddle is good for racers and experienced trail riders. The narrow saddle is of course, suited to people with narrow hips (just like me!). It's a very comfortable saddle with just enough padding to be perfect for enudro's but not so much to weigh it down. The Ti rails definitely help with the comfort factor. It's also quite flat, which allows me to move around quite easily.

Just keep in mind that this is a narrow racing racing saddle. Wider riders look at the Deva/Devo or other brands. It's perfect for riders like me: narrow hips and a saddle hardened bum. I love this saddle so much it's on my Trance and my XC HT racer.

Favorite Trail:   Bobsled, Sparrow Hill

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Body Geometry, WTB Rocket V.

Bike Setup:   2006 Giant Trance 2: RS Revelation 426, Ritchey WCS stem & Race Face Deus XC bars.

Submitted by Jim Coles a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2006

Strengths:    High quality. The drooped nose really works when I scoot to the front on climbs. It's very stiff for such a light saddle -- I get no flex when I slide up front or off the back. The narrow width makes it easier to get off the back than the WTB Laser. The price is fair. Variety of color/cover fabric options if you look around.

Weaknesses:    Rough material (like a synthetic burlap or such?) on back of saddle grabs my baggy shorts when I get behind the saddle. Wish that where a more slippery fabric. Sometimes I actually get stuck behind the seat and have to dab. Humorous for my riding buddies.

Bottom Line:
The best 'narrow', light, high-end saddle I found. Great for tech trail riding with steep drops and steep climbs that require frequent shifting from the nose to off-the-back.

Favorite Trail:   TC (nasty), City Park

Purchased At:   Hammerhead

Similar Products Used:   '98 Bontrager San Selle Marco clipped-ear. WTB Laser.

Bike Setup:   Titus MotoLite 5/5 leaning towards Trail/All Mtn.

Submitted by Giancarlo Pelosi a Weekend Warrior from Miramar, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Strengths:    Not a bad ride for us heavier riders. Good cushion when you need it. Very uncommon among MTB saddles. This one is an exception. Also love the reflective material.

Weaknesses:    None other than don't sit on your rump too long. Get up and pedal or use a granny seat.

Bottom Line:
Great saddle. Highly recommend it.

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park