Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

WTB Power V DH Race Saddle

4.4/5 (10 Reviews)
Weight : 440 grams

Long and fairly broad, the saddle features abrasion resistant materials and oversized 8mm cromoly rails. This allows the rider to use the saddle as a contact point, for steering support, or other rough uses.

Submitted by Phillip Palileo

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2013

Strengths:    Wide and comfy. Durable and easy to install. It took me less than 2 minutes to install.

Weaknesses:    The silver lining at the back part cracked after it got wet during a rainshower and I kept on riding. Silver lining didn't even last a month before it started cracking. It really affects the aesthetic part of it. WTB should just remove that and put stitching or some more kevlar on it.

Bottom Line:
Quite nice for me since I weigh around 210 lbs and stand at 6 ft 4 inches. Small and light seats just make my backside ache and I have to ride standing for awhile and wait for the pain to subside. WTB did well with this one, they just need to fix the little flaws and it would be one of the best saddles out there.

Submitted by jjatfd a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2011

Strengths:    Long, it fits me. Not too expensive.

Bottom Line:
I've had this saddle for about 5 years and 3000 miles. I like it because it is an inch longer than standard saddles. I can slide back on it to change my angle and I can ride the nose for steep up hills. I am 6'3' 240 lb and this is good for my giant arss. I recently broke it by sheering both rails. I imediately bought another one. I can't complain, it served me well.

Favorite Trail:   Guadalasco

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager, Selle Italia Flite

Bike Setup:   04 Gary Fisher 923

Submitted by eshew a Weekend Warrior from Seattle

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2010

Strengths:    The most comfortable and durable saddle I've had the pleasure of riding.

Weaknesses:    Heavy but I'm riding for fitness & fun. So this saddle gets me in better shape in the most comfort possible while eliminating a failure point.

IF you crash and drag the saddle cover down a trail at 30mph it might tear or peal (mine hasnt)

Bottom Line:
These saddles (gots 2 of em) are my "go to" saddles on the 2 bikes I ride most often. If I need to dust off the old Stinky then this saddle follows. Most of the time I ride hard XC and will gladly haul around an extra 100-200 grams of weight to have a larger saddle to pilot my ride with. I build bikes to last, I try and find the best products that allow me to rip up the trails & hit what I want while reducing the cost of product replacement. This saddle wins. I've had it for many years and its still kicking along.

Favorite Trail:   Galbraith, Buthie Hills

Purchased At:   CAnt remember

Similar Products Used:   WTB rocket, stock GT & Kona saddles

Bike Setup:   Kona: 2002 Bear & Stinky Primo. 2008 Dawg. 1996 Sex One

Submitted by Colin from Corvallis, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2008

Strengths:    Its strong, the rails are straight and the shell is on one piece

Weaknesses:    WIDE, HEAVY, and the cover sucks, its peeling off on the back and torn in the front, ive never even crashed on it

Bottom Line:
I'm going to evaluate the saddle for what it is not how it fits . (But let me start off by saying that i can go on a century every day of a 4 day weekend and only get a little numbness on the end of the last day on my road saddle, but on this monster , after the 15 minute ride to basic training at black rock, and i cant feel my tush. I have a fi'zi:k Free:k that has literally no padding, its just a piece of rubber on top, and i can ride that all day, no problems) The WTB Power v saddle is HEAVY, I really don't mind, my bike is 38 pounds but the weight makes it useless for anything but gravity riding. Also the cover peels and tear itself up from the corners. Its not a bad overall saddle and its really cheap so it could be worth a shot but if you can find a dealer with a fit kit test it before you buy it. For the same money there are a lot of options, know what width of saddle you like because this is like a comfort bike saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Sickter Gnar

Purchased At:   came on the bike

Similar Products Used:   fi'zi:k Free:k, Deity FR saddle, Transition Trail or Park FR saddle

Submitted by Travis Bickle a Weekend Warrior from Edmonsprawl, Alberta

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2008

Strengths:    Pretty cheap, strong and comfy. Nice and long.

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
A saddle that I find comfortable. So far it's been tough, the rails stay straight in spite of my clumsy 220 lbs. The cover is durable showing only reasonable wear. Where this saddle really shines is the extra length which greatly aids climbing incredibly steep pitches. It's over an inch longer than the Laser V which means when you are perched on the nose clawing your way up a hill your weight is an inch further forward. It makes a big difference.

Favorite Trail:   Bootleg Canyon

Purchased At:   Poison Spider and Mountain High Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Laser V, Titec Berserker

Bike Setup:   I have these on my ht, 5 Spot, and RFX

Submitted by SpinSir a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2007

Strengths:    Strength, looks, comfort, durability. I believe the only reason this was installed on my bike is because it has gold diamonds that match my gold components. However after getting used to this great big seat which allows me control over my Monkey I can not imagine replacing it with anything else unless Santa brings me a honey Brooks.

Weaknesses:    None at all.

Bottom Line:
This is marketed as a downhill saddle but get it for your big butt if you are looking for a comfortable ride. Think about how much other saddles cost and how little this one does. I ride a suspensionless bike over pretty rough stuff and my butt rarely is sore. I have put over 1500 miles on this saddle and will put many more. Why pay a lot for a little saddle when you can pay a little for a lot of saddle.

Favorite Trail:   USNWC

Purchased At:   Black Sheep

Similar Products Used:   Terry Liberator, WTB Rocket V, Specialized saddle, etc. Toilet, sofa, bench, floor, chair (I also sit on these things).

Bike Setup:   Karate Monkey, stock fork, generic painted post, Exiwolf tires

Submitted by Todd a Downhiller from West Linn, OR

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable, had survived many falls, heavy duty, and mud and water dont seep into it easily. for 2005 and 2006 this has been the standard saddle on the whistler garbanzo rental bikes.

Weaknesses:    the "power V" logo in the back eventually wears off, but who cares?

Bottom Line:
Great saddle, I plan to purchase one for my other bike. I've used the speed V in the past and I loved that saddle. WTB make some great products. I had a really hard fall on a-line basically my leg with all my body weight landing on the nose of the saddle, didn't snap or bend. seriously strong.

Favorite Trail:   Schleyer - Whistler

Purchased At:   Came OEM Ibex Bikes Direct

Similar Products Used:   bontrager DH saddle, Specialized jump saddles. kona and giant FR saddles

Bike Setup:   2005 Ibex Zone, 2005 Marzocchi Shiver DC up front.

Submitted by Money a Downhiller from Gilbert, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2006

Strengths:    Big saddle, great to climb with and very comfortable. The double diamond action on the end of the saddle is great for those long technical grinders. Saddle is big, but still small enough to maneuver around for freeriding or DH.

Weaknesses:    I have heard that where the front end of the seat connects to the rails, that gets loose/squeeky. I haven't seen that yet though. A little caulk in there and it should go away.

Bottom Line:
Best seat I have ever used. I used to think the Berzerkr was the most comfortable, but this one blew it away. It is a little wider and has much more cusion. Have ridden it for a year and is still as nice as the day I bought it.

Purchased At:   Cactus Bike [price match]

Similar Products Used:   Berzerkr [Titec], Hot Seat [Azonic], Marzocchi seat.

Bike Setup:   VP Free, 66RC, RG-34-24 + Truvativ Hussefelts, Mavic D321 rims, XT disc brakes, 2.8 Michellin up front, 2.7 high roller in the rear. At 46lbs, it is a FR/DH/DJ/XC monster....

Submitted by J a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2006

Weaknesses:    not tuff enough!

Bottom Line:
at first I was stoked with this saddle, it had a good feel. However after my 2nd ride the stitching on the nose had split. I'm not impressed. I returned it at the bike shop and got a different saddle altogether. A big thumbs down!!!!

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Lakewood, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2006

Strengths:    Comfort, durability, cool looking.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Don't really think it matters much.

Bottom Line:
Funny thing, I bought this saddle by mistake, to my good fortune. I love this saddle. My little arse fits this saddle just right. The love channel and the flex of the shell make this thing work for my sit bones and the boys. This is my favorite saddle so far. I believe WTB makes many great products, just wish they would tone down the graphics, logos, model name on all thier stuff. I prefer understated, plain wrap, stealthy look. Buy this saddle if you can live with oversized rails, longer nose and beefed up weight. I love this saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Turnbull