Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

WTB Laser V SLT Saddle

4.11/5 (37 Reviews)
Weight : 264 grams

• Super light, anatomic high tech saddle is for all levels of riders.
  • Features DNA padding, the Love Channel, and Comfort Zone Technology
  • Black/gray/yellow leather cover with titanium rails

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by lifer a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2013

Strengths:    Durable, light, comfortable, right size for me.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't make you breakfast.

Bottom Line:
    I discovered WTB Laser Vs 8-10 years ago & never looked back. I ride singletrack & DH. At some point several years ago, I realized I didn't need a shammy with this seat. I've got the SLT, and my Wife rides the team version. Somehow, we're both very happy with this seat. I crashed these hard, coated them with mud etc., and the only place I worn through the cover on one was at the nose after 3-4 years of use. Come to think of it, that old seat may have had a small hole in the side guard.

Favorite Trail:   Boulderdash

Duration Product Used:   8 years

Similar Products Used:   fizik

Bike Setup:   NomadC, Canfield One

Submitted by rob1208lv a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2012

Strengths:    light, strong, and super comfy

Weaknesses:    tag heavy for the racer

Bottom Line:
    when it comes to saddle, there is no compromise for me, it must be comfy. I test rode many saddles, and i just love the Laser V and if you get the TI rails (which is what this is a review for) its reasonably light also. I've landed hard on the saddle after a big air, and it held up fine, I've layed my bike down on the saddle during a crash and no tears, and I've done my share of 100 mile/bike packing trips in which my bum was very grateful.
    I've had my saddle for 4 bikes love this thing..

Purchased At:   las vegas cyclery

Similar Products Used:   wtb rocket v slt, specialized bg

Submitted by Rocky Mountain Guy a Cross Country Rider from Victoria BC Canada

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2011

Strengths:    Light and comfortable

Weaknesses:    Lasted only 3 days then ripped a chunk out of it the first time it hit the ground.

Bottom Line:
    Should not be used on any mountain bike unless the material used for covering is upgraded ..... not a good value for price.

Submitted by freshtracks a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, America

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    Very well built, dense, thick, but light padding.

Weaknesses:    Too wide between the thighs, Also pretty wide across the back which can make dropping off the back difficult.

Bottom Line:
    This is a really nicely built saddle if it fits your butt. I bought it to replace my Silverado Pro, which is too thin for my 200 lbs. I gave it 4 stars because it's a quality saddle.

Unfortunately, The Laser V does not fit mine very well. Here's why:

Note that this saddle is wider not only in the sit-bone area (which is good for me), but also in the middle section where the saddle narrows. It is this wide spot, a few inches back from the tip, that caused me problems. Rubbed my inner thighs the wrong way and caused some pretty bad sores. If you have thick thighs (with little space between your very upper legs), then the nose of this saddle will be too wide for you. It is also pretty wide in back, which you will notice when sliding back on steep downhills. I put this saddle on my town bike and I'll be saving up for either a Rocket V or Pure V SLT with the DNA padding for my MTB.

Similar Products Used:   WTB Rocket V, WTB Silverado Pro

Submitted by DennisK a Cross Country Rider from Athens, GR

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Very comfortable and light for the money

Weaknesses:    very poor built quality. the color of the leather cover is already fading and the saddle creaks like crazy. applied some teflon based lube and it still creaks. if it doesn't stop anytime soon i'll hack it with my ax

Bottom Line:
    great for long cross country rides but quality a major let down. the rocket i have on my other bike is two years old and still looks like new - too bad it's so damned uncomfortable. i think it's going to be back to fizik for me.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   wtb rocket, fizik nisene

Bike Setup:   cannondale caffeine frame, tora air solo fork, shimano & avid components

Submitted by CGTe a Cross Country Rider from Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2010

Strengths:    Shell design and materials, cover & padding materials like DNA padding, leather cover and Kevlar corners

Weaknesses:    Titanium rails...it breaks. If you are a clydesdales/tall riders like me, then look for steel rail.

Bottom Line:
    A simple and cheap cromoly steel rail even with some weight penalty would still be better than a titanium rails...looking for a steel rail to replace the broken titanium rail to an otherwise good saddle. If you are not a clydesdales or tall and heavy rider, then, the rail might not be a problem. If you are looking for a well designed saddle with good and durable materials than I would say this saddle has it. Only the rails is not good for me though.

Favorite Trail:   Any kind of offroad trail

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Any saddle with cromoly steel rail...

Bike Setup:   Niner MCR 9, Shimano XT grouppo, Thomson stem and seat post, Easton EA70 monkey bar, Mavic crossmax 29, Chris King headset, Shimano XTR pedals

Submitted by fcaw11 a Weekend Warrior from SGV, CA

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2009

Strengths:    Respectable light weight, ample padding, Ti rails

Weaknesses:    Try it b4 you buy it.

Bottom Line:
    For the price, one gets a good saddle. thus, 4 chilis.

Overall rating, 2 chilis. Why? I'm a smaller rider. This saddle never felt right on my pubis, lower hip bone.

Purchased At:   E-tailor

Similar Products Used:   WTB Pure V Race, WTB Rocket V Stealth

Bike Setup:   XC FS rig, mountain mix

Submitted by Andrew Lynam a Cross Country Rider from SW Iowa

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2007

Strengths:    Easy on the rear, love channel does its job. Has that "just right" feel to it.

Weaknesses:    Not sure yet.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great saddle for little money. I bought one for my hardtail becuase my tail was sore after rides, after getting this saddle I now have no more pain in the butt. I liked it so much that I bought a second one for my fs.

Favorite Trail:   Swanson

Similar Products Used:   WTB SSTX

Bike Setup:   '04 GF Cake 2

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Nevada

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2007

Strengths:    Comfortable

Weaknesses:    ti rails break

Bottom Line:
    In the past WTB has been great about replacing broken or bent rails. A fellow named Marty ran WTB warranty for years and he was totally helpful and awesome. Recently Tiffany answered my warranty call (Martys gone) and did everything she could to not help. Broken or bent rails - too bad - you must be abusing the saddle. I've ridden and recommended WTB saddles and tires for years but if this is the new WTB warranty policy then I'll be using other products!

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Fizik

Submitted by Monsoon a Weekend Warrior from CT

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2006

Strengths:    Looks good, comfortable, light

Weaknesses:    weak!! I bent the Ti rails and WTB wouln't replace them. Said they were "abused." I thought titanium was the strongest metal on earth!

Bottom Line:
    Horrible saddle and a complete waste of $. For the price of this one, i could've got 2 seats of better quality.

Favorite Trail:   killington, VT

Similar Products Used:   other cheaper, stronger, more comfortable saddles

Bike Setup:   06 Jamis Komodo with a bent seat!

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Maine

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2006

Strengths:    Light, wicked comfy, good quality, compact design

Bottom Line:
    This is WAY more comfortable than my old Bontrager. Only used it for 3-4 rides of 7-10 miles, but I can tell this will be my seat for a long time to come. I like the shortish nose that is still fine for thigh control. You can push way back on it for moderate climbs and it feels like you become part of the bike. It is plenty light. What more can you ask for?

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Aggie trails

Purchased At:   blueskycycle.com

Bike Setup:   Leader 516 HT, SRAM and Avid, Marzi MX Pro 120mm

Submitted by Armando Pañero a Cross Country Rider from Zaragoza, SPAIN

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2006

Strengths:    You know, titanium rails to make it lighter, love channel to aboid pressure over the most amazing parts, and a very important point, leather covering the saddle, than allows transpiration and gives adherency to the bike. A wonderfull high finish.

Weaknesses:    I miss something to protect the sides of the saddle which are finished in leather too.

Bottom Line:
    I honestly have to say this is the most confortable saddle I have ever had in 10 years ridding mountain bike in the area of Zaragoza, Spain, almost a dessert. When I rode my old San Marco Aero every sunday morning, the first feeling I had in my butt when I first sit down was pain over the bones and to know for certain than in 20 minutes the pain will be off for the next two hour when it always came back. Over four hours ridding, blisters. When I sat on my WTB Laser V for the very first time I thought "Oh, too soft". But after three hours ridding it was still confortable and my bottom was smiling happy. You know, in the place you lean your bones there are three designed areas softer than the saddle structure itself, and when you go down jumping over the stones, holes and so, the saddle absorb everything and you don´t have the feeling that a rock stikes directy on your butt, without a lack of control over your bike. Is extremely confortable and I can´t say why, it simply is. Once again a wonderfull american creation: CONGRATULATIONS WTB, you win.

Similar Products Used:   For five or six years, a single San Marco Aero, with the hole in the middle. I tried a month a San Marco Aero Gelaround but was a fake and had to sell it to a friend who still find it confortable. I tried an San Marco Arami Gelaround two weeks but couldn´t be on my bike more than one hour.

Bike Setup:   A Trek 8000, year 2000. A wonderfull bicycle.

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Dearborn, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2006

Strengths:    Strong material, super comfortable with the "love channel," Titanium rails, reasonably light at 235 grams.

Weaknesses:    The only problem that I have with this saddle is that the decals on the sides of it ware off very quickly. This is a very minor problem seeing that the word "LASER" is embroidered onto the nose of the saddle, and WTB is silk-screened onto the back. Not a big deal at all... have you ever been accused of riding a knock-off saddle? I didn't think so.

Bottom Line:
    This saddle is super comfortable. I recommend it, especially if you ride DS and spend a lot of time seated. Riding with my old Selle Italia saddle, I truly understood the meaning of the phrase "numb-nuts." With the "Laser," my boys down stairs couldn't be happier!

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Genuine Gel Flite Saddle with Titanium Rails; the black and blue WTB saddle that came on my old Gary Fisher.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XC Frame, Manitou Elite Black Forks, Fox Float R Rear Shock, Mavic XC 717 Rims, Shimano XT Disk Hubs (front & rear), Old School Shimano XT Crank, Shimano XT ES71 Splined Bottom Bracket, Speedplay Frog Pedals, Shimano XT Front Dérailleur, Shimano XT Rear Dérailleur, Shimano XT 9 Speed Shifters (front & rear), Shimano XT 9 Speed Cassette, Shimano XTR/Dura-Ace 9 Speed Chain, Avid BB5 Disk Brakes (front & rear), Old School Avid 1.0 Brake Levers, Cane Creek Headset, WTB Laser V Saddle, Avid Flack Jacket Housing/Cable (shift & brake)

Submitted by Hilton a Racer from Jerusalem

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2006

Strengths:    Does the job. 16000km on it! Gets better with time. Light weight, strong, feels great.

Weaknesses:    A little wide in front and rear making it a bit of a problem sliding on and off the rear.The channel could be a bit longer.

Bottom Line:
    The leather on the nose has finally worn away and I am replacing it with same saddle. The nose is a bit wide but once the saddle takes on the shape of your butt there is no looking back I never thought a sddle could last this long I hope the new one will last as long.

Favorite Trail:   All