Home | Reviews | Saddle | WTB

• 270g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Money a Downhiller from Gilbert, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2005

Strengths:    This is a review for the WTB POWER V. Not the Laser V.
    Amazingly comfortable seat, long and wide. The length of the saddle really comes in handy when climbing. Tough seat material, looks like kevlar, doesn't seem like it will rip.

Weaknesses:    I have heard that over time, where the front of the rails connect will come loose. This is remedied by globbing some caulking in there. Not a big problem.

Bottom Line:
    Very comfortable seat! Large, but not so big that it gets in the way. Great for XC, Free riding, and DH. I ride my VP Free up, down and all around and the seat performs beautifully. So nice that you can throw away your spandex shorts with the butt pad. That says a lot!

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Titec Berzerker DH, Azonic Hot seat, Marzocchi saddle, other WTBs...

Bike Setup:   VP Free, 66RC, D321s, XT disc brakes, Evil DRS, Thomson seatpost, Hussefelt cranks, etc...

Submitted by Craig a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2005

Strengths:    looks good

Weaknesses:    this is the noisiest seat I've ever used in my entire life...enuff to drive you insane.

Bottom Line:
    I'm starting to wonder if all these reveiws have been written by "WTB shareholders". This seat is "ok" comfortwise at best. It seems to dig into the inside of my legs and cause substantial discomfort on longer rides. It is not soft enuff in my opinion, and the "love chanel" needs to be enhanced. My biggest complaint is that it "creaks" worse than anything I've ever seen in my life! ...how do you shut this thing up? ....any suggestions would be apreciated.

I got a smokin deal on this thru my lbs...about half price,(I think I have an OEM version they took off a new bike).

overall terrible performance, not worth the money at all...did I mention it looks great?

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   old cheap saddles, original "SDG" that came on my Kona, Oryx (got it free, much better than the lazer v).

Bike Setup:   Kona Stuff, extensive upgrades.

Submitted by Tom a Racer from philly

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2004

Strengths:    tough, comfy

Bottom Line:
    great seat. look no further. I liked this seat so much, I got one of the light weight versions for my xc bike. Highly recommended, just get one and you'll agree.

Favorite Trail:   got dirt

Purchased At:   came on bike

Similar Products Used:   don't ride without a seat. ouch!

Bike Setup:   this is on my gemini, my big hit bike.

Submitted by Uthman Ray IV a Racer from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2004

Strengths:    Stong rails, light weight, and very comfortable!

Bottom Line:
    This saddle has the width, strength, and comfort needed to downhill and freeriding. Don't let the "DH" in the name fool you---this saddle works great in cross country applications as well. There have been numerous occasions where I have had to let my bike go in the air and it has landed directly on the saddle, and the rails to this day are identical to to the way they were when I first put it on my bike. If you are looking for a stronger saddle, or are tired of having a sore rear after longer rides, I recommend trying out a WTB Laser V DH.

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia, SDG, and Tioga.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz V-10, WTB rims, tires, seat, & grips, Fox Vanilla Rear Shock, Hayes brakes, Sram drivetrain, Truvativ cranks and BB, Easton bars, and Thomson seatpost.

Submitted by Nicholas a Weekend Warrior from BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2003

Strengths:    Fantastic comfort in a technical saddle.

Weaknesses:    Durability of the rail attachment

Bottom Line:
    I was running the old WTB which I was happy with starting half way through last season. Took a trip to Moab in the spring after many months of inactivity had tenderized my butt. After two days of epic riding I couldn't sit on the bike anymore. I stopped in at the shop and admired the saddle and its nice padding. Weight was good and I love the WTB shape. Rode the saddle for the rest of the trip and my butt recovered very nicely. This thing is soooo comfortable.
    I crashed the first day and popped the rail out of the base. Funny thing was that the saddle never hit the ground, it was my butt slamming it off-centre which did the damage. Shop was great and replaced it on the spot. It has been crashed many times since and HAS smacked the ground numerous times with no trouble.

I absolutely love this saddle, and two other people who've ridden on it want one now. Still, I have to give it a knock for the railing issue which I have heard of elsewhere too.

Favorite Trail:   Slim Chance

Purchased At:   Poison Spider

Similar Products Used:   WTB SST,Titec DH KTi, Ritchey comp-lite,Vetta, Schwinn stingray Ti.

Bike Setup:   Turner XCE, XTR der and shifters, Hope Minis, Dave's Speedream wheels, RS Psylo, Race Face bb and cranks.

Submitted by Gene a Weekend Warrior from Vernon, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2002

Strengths:    Very comfortable saddle, and you have to love the channel down the center. Strong but does not make you want to walk funny for a week after a long ride :)

Weaknesses:    Nothing really to mention

Bottom Line:
    I have no problem with this saddle at all. Heck it does the job for me, I feel comfortable riding with it and that's all there is to say about that one.

Gene

Purchased At:   Cycle Works

Bike Setup:   C'Dale Gemini 1000 (sweet, ooh so sweet!)

Submitted by gary a Weekend Warrior from illinois

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Strengths:    weight/ shape/ firmness

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    the old wtb saddle was good and reliable but the new laser's are the best....after experiencing everything....wtb's/azonics/selle/ etc.
    you can't beat the WTB laser.......i had a little issue with a ripped seat that got taken care off quickly.....customer service is very prompt !! and the warranty(if you have problems) is very good !!! I highly recommend this saddle and WTB

Purchased At:   addison cycle

Similar Products Used:   every saddle made !!

Bike Setup:   bullits/turner/ellsworth/azonic all have the new dh laser on them

WTB Laser V vs Laser V DH

Can anyone tell me the difference between a standard Laser V and a DH model. The ones I am looking at both come with the Ti rails. What makes the DH model $25 cheaper? Is it the difference between leather and synthetic material? If so, how much comfort difference is there? Thanks for all replie ... Read More »