Home | Reviews | Saddle | Vetta

Vetta TT Trishock Saddle Saddle

2.95/5 (104 Reviews)

Product: Vetta TT Trishock Carbon Rails

Description: Oh so light, Oh so expensive, Oh crap it broke again. I've gone through two of these in the past 12 months (really 8 months of riding). The first one, I snapped both rails while making a pedal-less landing over a small drop-off,, and the second one just snapped both rails and ripped the saddle off the rails on a moderate crash (moderate, 'cuz I still finished the race, and no other components were damaged). Also, the leather tears very easily. The saddle is very comfortable (while it's there), and very light (well, its lighter when its not there), but it's not trail worthy. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I'm 140 lbs (with wet clothes on).

Recommendation: Do not buy it for more than $40

Submitted by roadscrape a Cross Country Rider from roswell, ga, usa

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2010

Strengths:    Durability (20+ years on mine), quality (leather still looks great, foam is supple, glue still keeps the leather fully attached to the saddle base), workmanship, padding placement (right width for me), shape fits me well - fit is primary and everything else follows (especially the flat rear part of the saddle that support one's sitz bones/ischial tuburosities/butt bones). If it doesn't fit you, it doesn't matter what it costs or what anyone else thinks. In this case, thinking with your butt is a good thing!

Weaknesses:    The rear, flat section would be great if it were 10 mm longer (it's merely good in the original mass-produced form). Then there would be room to round off the rear corners (like a WTB Devo)).

Bottom Line:
A rare classic that is realatively unknown. The flat surface of the rear section (a fairly new configuration in the early 1990s) and variable thickness foam fits my sit bones and butt just right. The quality of this saddle is still impressive - the leather and the glue to the base of the saddle are still in very good shape after many, many years of serious southeastern high humidity induced sweat. It is amazing how long qualtiy leather will last if well maintained (I have a 1973 Brooks saddle that is still going strong). Leather, like human skin, gets pretty gnarly when it starts to become dry.

Favorite Trail:   Big Creek

Purchased At:   Nashcrash

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Turbo, San Marco Concor Light, Selle Italia Anatomica, San Marco Rolls, Brooks B-17, San Marco Zoncolan, Selle Italia Liberator (aka Terry Liberator), San Marco Aspide Arrowhead, various OEM saddles - Coda, Bontrager, Specialized, whatnot ...

Bike Setup:   1996/7 Klein Pulse Pro XC, SRAM 9.0 drivetrain, XT crank/pedals and V brakes, Deore hubs/Ritchey rims, Sette riser bars on Sette stem, worn-out Answer Manitou X fork now locked-out (maybe replace with Marzocchi Bomber 120 or Fox 120).

Submitted by Steve K a Cross Country Rider from Columbia Falls, MT

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Strengths:    Super light, very flexible, small yet comfortable.

Weaknesses:    cheap skin, tears easily, needs side guards.

Bottom Line:
So its been a while since anyone reviewed this saddle. Its probably hard to find one of these anymore. Too bad, 'cause this is my favorite saddle ever. Ok, if you're a heavy or very aggressive rider you might break it. If you want a light saddle with great flex, and surprising comfort for its size, and if you can find one, maybe you can buy... the Vetta TT Trishock. I used to get these free when I was a bike tech, because people freaked out when they saw how small it was on their new bike and immediately wanted it off. Too bad for them; they probably sacrificed a lot of comfort with the huge gel blobs they substituted for the Vetta. Bottom line-great saddle for lighter riders, if you can find one. Clydesdales steer clear of this one!

Favorite Trail:   Flathead NF Fire Roads

Similar Products Used:   various stock saddles

Bike Setup:   03' Jamis hardtail, Manitou R7 Super, XT components, Eggbeater pedals.

Submitted by JmZ a Cross Country Rider from Northern Indiana

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2004

Strengths:    My arse fits these
Light

Weaknesses:    Your arse might not fit these
Couple of variants that look similar - but are not

Bottom Line:
I've been getting some of these from E-Bay recently.

The Trishock and some of the SP's work for me, as well as the really light one.

Comfy, for me, and not bad prices, hard to find new though.

Weights for me have varied from about 160-230g.

The several saddles have had a few tears, but overall have held up well. I've got a few extras for the next bike(s) that I'll eventually build.

Seats, shifters, grips, and pedals are all personal points of contact and only you will know the right one for you. For me these are almost perfection, comfortable and light.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking - Any suggestions?

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Fanatic - Rebuilt

Submitted by williams J.J. a Weekend Warrior from Edgewood WA USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2002

Strengths:    Seat is very durable

Weaknesses:    Seat is very painful. Mine as well ride on the frame since you'd feel about the same comfort level

Bottom Line:
Don't even think about getting this seat even if somebody wants to pay you to take it.

Favorite Trail:   Snoqualmi

Similar Products Used:   Nothing has compared to the discomfort of this saddle.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Big Sur (Love It)

Submitted by steven a Weekend Warrior from The Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2002

Strengths:    Comfy - only saddle I found that suits me

Weaknesses:    can't find them as I would stock up

Bottom Line:
Anyone know where I can find these please let me know

Favorite Trail:   Greenbush

Purchased At:   LBS came on my GT

Similar Products Used:   WTB Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Sugar 1

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2002

Strengths:    comfy, flexy, I liked its fit

Weaknesses:    poor vinyl tears easily

Bottom Line:
I had a 1996 tt trishock vinyl with steel. It flexed, it was well padded and was comfy. It was stock on my RMB hammer. On the first ride the vinyl on the nose tore. and it otre along the edges later. I liked it so much I even considered taking it to a tanery adn getting reupholstered. The bike was stolen in 2000 so I am riding a nicely specced 2000 RMB blizzard instead, and I go through about four saddles a year now, none of then feel comfy. Some even cause a numb willy.
I manged to find a Vetta trishock 2 on ebay. it's an updatied design, gel centre, leather cover, vanadium rails, much different looking than the old one. Check for a review in the future.

Favorite Trail:   skogan pass

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop.com

Similar Products Used:   Maxflite, body geomerty, XO, nitrox, royale

Bike Setup:   1996 rocky mountain hammer race, xt shifters and derailleurs, raceface crank, bb, rings and headset. Avid 2.0 brakes. marzocchi z2bam. The rest is stock wheels, tires, stem, bar, post, etc.

Submitted by j.ron from boise, idaho

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2001

Strengths:    This is 2 reviews. My old TT was the best saddle ever. The new TT trishok sucks. TT was comfortable and lite
TT TS is light.

Weaknesses:    TT none
TT TS painful

Bottom Line:
I rode the vetta TT thousands of miles and it wore out. It's on my kids BMX now. Great saddle, no numbness, it was light never any pain. So I saw a Trishock on sale. Thinking it was the same thing I bought it. Wrong. The only saddle i've ever owned that was worse was some other Vetta take off that rubbed me raw the first day of a 350 mile ride. (coulda been I didn't wash the brand new shorts .but it was the only saddle to ever numb me) Too bad the TT was great, the Trishock isn't. Don't buy this saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Resurrection pass, AK

Purchased At:   mailorder

Similar Products Used:   you name em.

Bike Setup:   Lightspeed obed FS.

Submitted by Patrick a Weekend Warrior from Rockville, MD

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2001

Strengths:    The shape suits me very well

Weaknesses:    Way too soft padding

Bottom Line:
I really like the shape of this saddle, but the padding is so soft, I felt like I was sitting directly on the plastic shell. The worst part was the pressure that it put on my soft tissue areas. It wasn't just uncomfortable, it was painful. I even tried to cut-out the shell, but that didn't help at all. If Vetta would use firm padding, a la Sella Italia Flite, this could be a great saddle.

The pain and discomfort caused by the soft foam didn't manifest itself until after about 1 hour of riding (or 15 minutes on rollers), so I suppose someone who took very short rides might like this saddle.

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am, Serfas Lola, Selle Italia Flite Gel, OEM saddles

Bike Setup:   C-dale CAAD3 road frame w/ D-A and Ultegra components

Submitted by Thom a Weekend Warrior from Philadelphia PA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2000

Strengths:    holds your butt...that's about it

Weaknesses:    uncomfortable, flexes, cheap construction

Bottom Line:
I think it would be more comfortable to secure a rock to the seatpost! This saddle flexes (I weigh 170 soaking wet), creaks, and feels like it amplifies bumps! I switched it for a flite gel and my butt is very thankful! I ride the same route often and a noticed a huge difference in the bumps after changing the seat,
I recommend this saddle for masochists or as a gift for your sworn enemies/competitors!

Similar Products Used:   flite, flite gel

Bike Setup:   trek 2100 road, 105, mavic helium

Submitted by Kevin a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, FL

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2000

Strengths:    None really.

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable & heavy.

Bottom Line:
This saddle is just too uncomforatable even for short rides.
My ass is sore after every ride and it stays sore for a couple of days. I'm looking for a new saddle and a suspension seat post and plan to purchase these items soon. I've had the Vetta for over two yeaars thinkng I would eventually get used to it but to no avail. I hope to enjoy riding without the pain soon. I give it 2 flaming chillis because it has held up well.

Favorite Trail:   Morris Bridge Trails

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Raleigh M-80

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2000

Strengths:    a lot of padding. Ok for 1-2 hour rides.

Weaknesses:    a lot of padding, does not feel sturdy. A little heavy. Developed creaks. Leather is coming off. Shape is not right for me.

Bottom Line:
I had this seat (gel version) for a long time now and I thought it was OK. It always made my member numb and back of my legs (butt) sore because I sought it was too wide in the back. I figured on long rides that is how things are...

Recently I have tried a couple of seats that have the middle cut out or padded and I realized that the old seat was OK at best. I did not have durability problems with this seat. It did start to fray after 3 years but that is ok many other bike parts fail after this long. I think it served its purpose, time to move on.

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia, Scott, Specialized etc.. Too many to remember.

Bike Setup:   Trek 1200 8 year old road bike.

Submitted by John a Racer from VT

Date Reviewed: September 27, 1999

Strengths:
Pretty Light
Soft Padding
Anatomical Fit
Durable

Weaknesses:
No kevlar

Bottom Line:
I originally bought the non-trishock version then a year later my new bike came stock with the trishock. That was in '95. The seat was going strong til a run in with a tree where apon the non-trishock version was installed. Between the two (hard to notice much of a difference) these are great saddles. They feel great and last forever even w/o kevlar. Unfortunately, after about 5000 muddy miles the seat started to literally decay. Bought an expensive Flite Titanium saddle to replace it and it makes me realize what a great saddle the Vetta is. Get one if you can find one.

mine

more than 3 years

Vetta TT (not TriShock)
Selle Italia Flite

Zaskar LE

Submitted by Travis a Cross-Country Rider from Auburn, CA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 1999

Strengths:
-light
-looks cool
-durable
-comfy

Weaknesses:
-no kevlar, corners and nose padding fell out.

Bottom Line:
I've had this seat for as long as I've had my bike, and it justnow gave up. I went through 2 whole wheelsets, two forks, two drivetrains but the seat has always been fine. A little hard for the first 50 miles, but you get used to it. Occasional numbness, but I'm not overly worried. This seat gave me thousands of trouble-free miles with hardly a bent rail. Wouldn't buy it again though. Fabric is all screwed up around the edges, and padding in first 2 inches of seat fell out. Good seat, especially for stock.

Clementine Loop@night

XT, XT, XT
want mavic 517's currently no wheels to my name

Submitted by Dan a Cross-Country Rider from Akron, Ohio

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1999

Strengths:
Light, comfortable, tough, looks cool

Weaknesses:
nothing that I can tell

Bottom Line:
Good seat, I've crashed a lot and it's never even gotten a scratch on it. anyways if you are breaking a saddle get off your ass and lean bakc on rough terrain

Vultre's Knob

1 Year

GT backwoods, marzocci z2 alloy, XT;LX

Submitted by Barstad a Cross-Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1999

Strengths:
light, compact.

Weaknesses:
none so far

Bottom Line:
Why do people expect to crash and have zero equipment damage? And why does it matter if it happens on the first ride or the hundred and first? Crashing is a violent event. And price is not the issue. First of all, $750 is not that much for a mountain bike. But even if it was, what difference does it make? If you crashed your $30000.00 car, would you expect no damage just because it cost $30K? Get used to the idea that crashing can cause damage to you and to your bike. It's a fact of mountain biking life. Having said that, I like the saddle. It's light, it's unobtrusive (albiet at the expense of cushiony comfort), and it's a place to park your ass when you're riding. I got mine mail order for about $10, so maybe I'm not as hacked as some of the whiners in this section as a result. But I'm also a realist. Shitola happens. Fix what breaks and move on.

1 Year