Home | Reviews | Saddle | Velo

3.72/5 (29 Reviews)

Velo Plush

Submitted by james69 a Weekend Warrior from Marikina, Philippines

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable even during relatively long rides, i.e. a 6 hour,34 kilometer ride.

Weaknesses:    Durability, ergonomics.

Bottom Line:
I bought the saddle because my original one caused numbess and pain during long rides. The Velo Plush was definitely more comfortable for me but it took some getting used to since the saddle's shape is wider than my previous unit's, it took a few minor adjustment to dial it just right. What's disappointing is the product's durability, I bought it less than 3 months ago and it's now literally coming apart at the seams. I have never crashed the bike during the time the Velo was on nor was the saddle damaged during rides, the outer cover is coming undone at the seat's underside where it's glued and stapled. Too bad, if it had lasted more than a year I would have been happy.

Favorite Trail:   Maarat trails

Purchased At:   All Terra

Similar Products Used:   WTB

Bike Setup:   Jamis Parker, Shimano Deore Group set, Mavic Rims.

Submitted by TrekJeff a Cross Country Rider from Michiganm US

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2010

Strengths:    Initially good, comfortable

Weaknesses:    Gradually wore down at the end of last season. I would have been disappointed if I had purchased it as and individual component

Bottom Line:
Seeing the $30 price ticket on this, it's not worth half that price.

Purchased At:   Came with the Cross

Similar Products Used:   WTB's product line up, hard to beat.

Bike Setup:   Cross Check

Submitted by nuck_chorris a Weekend Warrior from spring tx, usa

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2009

Strengths:    pretty comfy , takes mild trails nice.

Weaknesses:    rail angle is a bit off for me,ugly.

Bottom Line:
its not the nicest color but it works good , by that i mean i don't get beat up when people see me riding it.the pleather is tough but it gets wrinkles. i don't think it adds significant amount of weight. its still going strong

Favorite Trail:   george mitchell nature preserve

Purchased At:   jenson usa

Similar Products Used:   velo spring seat.

Bike Setup:   customized trek 850, you know , azonic pedals,velo seat ,eagle claw brakes,forte versa trac tires,tektro brakes, doltek cranks , surly single speed parts, ratio of 36-16,ruffian odi grips.

Submitted by J C a Weekend Warrior from Sydney NSW

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2008

Strengths:    Not biodegradeable?

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Steel rails are soft, soft, soft. Bad shape and design for long-haul trips. Paint wears off. Vinyl outer is of low quality.

Bottom Line:
It's just plain crap. Tries to be good at everything but in reality is good for nothing. I cannot believe someone recommended this for "serious racing" pffft yeah right whatever. I bent the rails on this cheap and nasty piece of crap riding on bitumen! Even worse, you can bend the rails back *by hand*. The shape is all wrong - it's too fat at the front and too lenient in the middle (ie there is no support). You'll end up with nasty chafing and a sore coccyx after a long ride.

I completely destroyed this by riding on a rough track. Not recommended at all.

Notably I found a dirt cheap TFS saddle with chromoly rails and *no cushioning* that is 1000% percent more comfortable than this POS. No kidding.

Similar Products Used:   Giant / TFS stock saddles

Bike Setup:   Giant Sedona (1998 model)

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from Auckland, NZ

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2008

Strengths:    This is a review for the Velo Plush 'comp 1000' saddle - its leather with holes in it and a red 'D2' on the rear on either side. It is not for the plain black plush saddle which most rveiews on here seem to be about.

This is the most comfy saddle myself, or my gf, have ever used. We now have them on all our bikes. They are hard wearing, super comfortable. I have used hard 'race' style seats before and these are so much nicer. I dont know what makes a saddle work but for some reason this is a great saddle. I used to get a lot of lower back and groin pain, swapping to this saddle has fixed that. No tears in all its use, and they are both pretty well used now! Much longer lifespan than the WTB stock saddle my bike came with.

We ride mainly xc/enduro and at a recent 12hr my girl noted that she felt great after 12hrs on the saddle - much better than a lot of other saddles she had used, especially the stock lightweight giant race (womens specific) one that came as stock.

Weaknesses:    I guess you could say weight, but we are not weight weenies and dont find it a problem. We both race XC and arent that concerned about a few extra grams. Take a dump before the race if you are that worried!

Maybe a bit ugly?

Bottom Line:
I don't know if they still make this saddle. The first one I found, with a bent seat post, in the garbage out the back of my LBS. After a loooong search online could find no info on where to buy this great saddle. One day I was in my LBS getting a few bits and there, in the sale bin, was a brand new saddle, exactly the same as the one I found - so I bought it straight away.

Its super comfy and very hard wearing, the leather seems to be really good qaulity. Forget those s-wankly fizik saddles supposedly designed to be super comfy, this is the real deal.

For real mtb racers/riders, not those who want a superlight saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Cookie

Purchased At:   Bike Barn New Lynn

Similar Products Used:   WTB, Giant stock, etc etc

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC1, Giant anthem 1

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Strengths:    Free, came on bike. Better than a seatpost.

Weaknesses:    Plush, awful feel after the first couple km as the padding compresses and leaves you riding on the poorly formed substrate, really hard on the rear for anything longer than a short ride around the neighbourhood.

Bottom Line:
Toss it, buy a real saddle that is firm. Plush is nice only if you're going to the corner store. A firm saddle with a bit of give won't leave you riding on the plastic base after the padding compresses.

This saddle was nice when I test rode the bike. But halfway into my first ride it was obviously in need of replacement as the padding compresses (especially if you're a big guy) and the rear of the saddle is too wide to be comfortable at all. The wider rear might work for a woman with wider hips however (I've got a skinny rear for a 6'3" guy)

Favorite Trail:   Anything smooth

Purchased At:   Came stock on Steelwool Sweet City SS, from Dukes in Toronto

Similar Products Used:   Titec Beserkr, Selle Italia NT1

Bike Setup:   Steelwool Sweet City SS, touring singlespeed running stock.

Submitted by Jordan a Weekend Warrior from A-town, oregon, us

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Strengths:    more comfortable than the stocker and is pretty good overall, very cheap

Weaknesses:    ripped and a little heavy

Bottom Line:
its a great plush seat for a cheap price but i wouldnt recommend if you do something where your very likely to crash because it will rip i was riding a wheelie and went too far, when it hit the ground the corner of the seat tore about the size of a quarter and some of the padding is sticking out a little but its still useable

Purchased At:   Joes

Purchased At:   Joes

Bike Setup:   IH WARRIOR

Submitted by dirtdigler a Cross Country Rider from sydney australia

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2006

Strengths:    WELL IT WAS CHEAP

Weaknesses:    bent like a bannana, rails are limp like flacid weena

Bottom Line:
well it was really cumfy on my bummy but it bent so much it looks like a cross between a concord jet and a bannana , basically it bent so much the clamp is stuck on the rails and cant get it off the seat post so follow up review is not so good its still feels good but its now on my sons bike along with the seat post , glad I didnt put it on an expensive carbon post , I am not that heavy
82kg /180 lbs either its made for lite weight weeny guys or just for standing over and not sitting on maybe its a road bike seat and not up to bumps or the rails are just to weak so if you are light buy one if you are a big boy dont!

Favorite Trail:   anything dirty

Purchased At:   torpedo7.com

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   cannondale gemini Maz66RC2X etc

Submitted by dirtdigler a Downhiller from sydney australia

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2006

Strengths:    most comfortable seat I have ever used firm but soft on the wedding tackle no pain in between the nuts and the bolt

Weaknesses:    ohh like none well maybe it could have kevlar side and back protection

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is this will keep yours happy ,very nice seat great for quick slide offs during downhill good support because it isnt to wide but gives support like a wide soft seat . Looks really nice clean simple lines , reasonably lightweight , rails are strong.
Purchased from torpedo7.com (New Zealand)check em out great deals wth really cheap weekly specials

Favorite Trail:   anything steep and fast

Purchased At:   torpedo7.com

Similar Products Used:   wtb/ specialized

Bike Setup:   three wheel tricycle wth handelbar streemers and sparkly paint made by mongoose

Submitted by Peter Vit a Racer from Hadera, Israel

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2005

Strengths:    Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
Although it's not a sexy slim light road bike saddle it is so comfortable and I don't have to worry about my precious part failing me when needed.

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flow

Bike Setup:   Wilier Scandium, Full record

Submitted by Jonathan a Weekend Warrior from Ft Lauderdale

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2005

Strengths:    Very comfortable saddle. I actually bought the gel version, while the plush was assigned to my fiancee. Easy to mount, we took our bikes out for two hours no problem. Hope I can feel the same excitement a year from now.

Weaknesses:    Could loose some weight. They weight around 400 grams.

Bottom Line:
For the price, the velo gel is a I think its a great cycling saddle, for the cycling fan who pprefers comfort over weight. I highly recommend it.

Purchased At:   www.twowheelsmart.com

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia C2

Bike Setup:   I tested the Velo gel on a trek 5200.

Submitted by Wes Mantooth a Weekend Warrior from Sakatchewan

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2004

Strengths:    Feels like the hand of God is cradling your bits and pieces. Great seat for boney-assed people.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy, but only to weight weenies.

Bottom Line:
Cheap, uber-comfy, nice looking. I'd buy it. Wait...I did.

Similar Products Used:   Rithcie Vector. Like sitting top of an axe.

Bike Setup:   CCM Matrix

Submitted by Kip a Downhiller from Idaho

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Strengths:    So comfortable, cheap, looks awsome.

Weaknesses:    Its so wide I would hit my knees when I tried to get behind it. Not a big deal for me but its heavy.

Bottom Line:
This seat was an awsome seat but it was just a bit too wide for me. If you want an unbreakable bmx type seat go for it. If you want a great freeride seat get an SDG grand prix leather/kevlar, its the best seat I have ever had.

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   flite gel, azonic loveseat, and the best seat ever SDG grand prix leather/kevlar

Bike Setup:   Khs fr2000,dj1,sdg,atomic,maxxis hookworms,ect.

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from Wahkiacus

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2004

Strengths:    Soft Soft Soft

Weaknesses:    Other than the nose material having a hole worn in it, None.

Bottom Line:
This is the best seat I have ever ridden on. It is now in my sisters posession and I am riding on the comfort v, BIG MISTAKE. I miss it so badly I am going to cut my losses and buy another and scrap the V. This is quite possibly the best saddle you can get regardless of price. And at $26 those that complain have some serious issues.

Favorite Trail:   Earth